Are these Josh McCown Head Coach candidate rumors true?

SouthernJet

I have seen this 3 times now. Maybe as a OffCoordinator but these articles are saying he is being talked about as a HC candidate?

I know for fact the Johnsons love him and thought he was super professional and handled himself in proper way with teammates and front office, media etc when he was with Jets.

I dont recall if Joe Douglas was here when Josh was here.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-rumors-josh-mccown-2021-head-coach/

• Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, flgreen said:

OH MY.   Worst QB in the NFL, now we're going to build our coaching staff around him?  LOL

I have no problem bringing MCCown in as an asst, QB coach for our rookie, but hard pass on anything that keeps Darnold here another year.

To be fair, Frank Reich was a long-time backup QB too and is a good HC.  Otoh, Reich had a pretty decent amount of coaching experience when he got hired by the Colts. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reich

image.png.96f16fa4093c5575642b209ede2746b8.png

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To be fair, Frank Reich was a long-time backup QB too and is a good HC.  Otoh, Reich had a pretty decent amount of coaching experience when he got hired by the Colts. 

I have no problem bringing in Mc Cown as an "offensive coaching staff Asst."  As reich was.  Or as an Asst. QB coach.  If he's good at it, promote him.

My problem with this scenario is bringing him in to some how sprinkle pixie dust on Darnold and make him an NFL QB.  Not going to happen, and a missed opportunity to get one of 3 QB's, who IMO will be better then Darnold quickly.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's more about your latter point. There's no track record to suggest the best HCs were typically the best players, nor that being among the very best players gives one an edge as a HC.

McCown may very well be a fine HC someday. He's more than a bit wet behind the ears as a coach, though. Being a rostered QBC/mentor in his last seasons, and a volunteer QB coach at his son's high school, is not the CV of an NFL HC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

OH MY.   Worst QB in the NFL, now we're going to build our coaching staff around him?  LOL

I have no problem bringing MCCown in as an asst, QB coach for our rookie, but hard pass on anything that keeps Darnold here another year.

Who cares how good he played in the NFL? Do you seriously believe there is ANY correlation between success as an NFL player and success as an NFL Head Coach? 

Were Belichick and Parcells and Andy Reid even marginal high school players? 

If you want to argue that Mccown isn't ready and should probably start off as a QB coach, I am right there with you. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

His connection with Darnold would make him an interesting option as a QB Coach

Yes I would be fine with this. Can't make him a head coach or a coordinator just yet.

The good news is if he did that and turned Sam around he would sky rocket up the coaching tree.

• Upvote 1

First, let’s get Gase fired. 
Then, let’s figure out the process for hiring a new HC.  JD or the Johnson’s. 
Next, we hire a HC.
Then the HC hires his coaching staff   That’s when we argue about who the QB coach is.  
And I like McCown  

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who cares how good he played in the NFL? Do you seriously believe there is ANY correlation between success as an NFL player and success as an NFL Head Coach? 

Were Belichick and Parcells and Andy Reid even marginal high school players? 

If you want to argue that Mccown isn't ready and should probably start off as a QB coach, I am right there with you. 

HUH???????????????????

I don't want to bring him in as a HC.  Against it totally.   Made that clear in my post I thought.

As a low level asst.  Sure, why not as long as he isn't being brought in to save Darnold

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The other major risk of hiring him is that, if a Jet HC with that last name ends up failing, it's a virtual certainty that the media will start referring to him as "McClown".

That's the absolute last thing this franchise needs!

Incredible work, sir. If Josh becomes our head coach, and if he falters, I shall proclaim him as Josh McClown and wax poetic about how I was the originator and creator of the play on words. I will reap the massive upvotes and never give you credit. NEVER!!!

angry jennifer lawrence GIF

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I have no problem bringing in Mc Cown as an "offensive coaching staff Asst."  As reich was.  Or as an Asst. QB coach.  If he's good at it, promote him.

My problem with this scenario is bringing him in to some how sprinkle pixie dust on Darnold and make him an NFL QB.  Not going to happen, and a missed opportunity to get one of 3 QB's, who IMO will be better then Darnold quickly.

Let’s be honest he has already held that coaching role as a player here for Sam.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Remember when Bill Parcells, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, and Bill Belichick were perennial pro-bowlers in the NFL? Remember when Doug Pederson was a top 5 quarterback? Me neither.

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

True, but all those guys had extensive coaching experience prior to being the HC.

The idea that a journeyman QB can't be a good coach is based on faulty logic. The best players do not necessarily make the best coaches. Experience also doesn't mean much in some cases. Look at Adam Gase.

16 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The idea that a journeyman QB can't be a good coach is based on faulty logic. The best players do not necessarily make the best coaches. Experience also doesn't mean much in some cases. Look at Adam Gase.

I agree. I don't think he "can't be a good coach". I just don't see any experience running an entire team. With regard to people with experience that suck, we all know not all experience is created equal. I could see a career backup who loves and studies the game being a good coach, but I wouldn't start them at the peak of the football coaching profession either. The term entry level comes to mind. Maybe be an official QB coach first or an assistant coordinator position.

• Upvote 1