What’s with Bienemy

ncjetman

I don’t understand why he can’t get more traction - reported that he’s saying he”ll only take a HC job if the fit is perfect. Sounds like he’s gotten little positive feedback from the interviews he’s had so far - same lack of interest as last year - yet sources behind the scenes ( going back to his days as running backs coach in Minnesota) say he’s a terrific leader etc - what’s he doing wrong during interview process? And yes like others I’m concerned that he doesn’t call plays in KC but I don’t think Pederson or Nagy did either (might be wrong though) and they landed HC jobs. Yes he takes care of Rooney Rule for teams but again he’s spoken of very highly in league circles - what gives?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I'd be surprised if he didn't get a HC job this time around

If he doesn't, then we can assume there is some deeper issue - either his relatively minor run ins with the law in the past,  a nagging suspicion that he isn't an integral part of the KC success, or maybe that he just doesn't interview well

But, I think he will get a job this year

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

I don’t understand why he can’t get more traction - reported that he’s saying he”ll only take a HC job if the fit is perfect. Sounds like he’s gotten little positive feedback from the interviews he’s had so far - same lack of interest as last year - yet sources behind the scenes ( going back to his days as running backs coach in Minnesota) say he’s a terrific leader etc - what’s he doing wrong during interview process? And yes like others I’m concerned that he doesn’t call plays in KC but I don’t think Pederson or Nagy did either (might be wrong though) and they landed HC jobs. Yes he takes care of Rooney Rule for teams but again he’s spoken of very highly in league circles - what gives?

- not sure play calling responsibility

- Kafka credited for grooming Mahomes

- loaded offense with Mahomes, Hill, Kelce

- *legal issues* this is where I think teams have gotten nervous with him

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

such as?

https://www.sportscasting.com/chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemys-troubling-rap-sheet-includes-a-disturbing-assault-charge-against-a-woman/

Lost in all of his success with the Kansas City Chiefs is that Eric Bieniemy generated quite a rap sheet for bad decisions.

• According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy and teammate Kanvavis McGhee following a February 1998 bar fight. Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public, but he pleaded no contest. He and McGhee each received deferred sentences and performed court-mandated community service.
  • According to the Orlando Sentinel, Bienemy pleaded no contest after allegedly shoving a firefighter on July 4, 1990. Colorado suspended Bieniemy for one game in the upcoming season.
  • Colorado police once again arrested Bieniemy, then in the NFL, in September 1993. The Orlando Sentinel reported that Bieniemy allegedly grabbed a female parking attendant by the neck and threatened her.

The University of Colorado Boulder banned Bieniemy from its campus for one year as a result.

“She stated that the male who grabbed her said something about ‘a bunch of Black males all at once being her worst nightmare,” the attendant told police, according to the arrest report.
  • According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge in April 2001, three months after he joined the football staff as a running backs coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations. 
  • Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.

Bieniemy left Colorado after the 2002 season to take the same position at UCLA.

None of this is to say he's not deserving of a chance, but they will be an impediment to him getting hired.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I think some off field incidents in Bienemy's past are making owners hesitant in this me-too world we live in where everything is under the microscope.

What ARE those "events in his past", because all I could find is a few DUI's early on, a few fights/assaults early on (both like when he was a kid it seems), and a vague "rapes happened during his time as a Coach in college" with nothing tying them to him in any way, just to the program.

Is there more they're not reporting on?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What ARE those "events in his past", because all I could find is a few DUI's early on, a few fights/assaults early on (both like when he was a kid it seems), and a vague "rapes happened during his time as a Coach in college" with nothing tying them to him in any way, just to the program.

Is there more they're not reporting on?

see my post right above yours.  It's more of a death by multiple cuts thing.  No single thing in his past looks egregious, but the sum of all of it might be enough to scare a team away in this day and age, especially the assault charge on a woman.

• Upvote 2

The stumping for Bieniemy is unreal. He’s not getting hired because nobody knows what he actually does for the Chiefs. If he wants to be a HC, he needs to go be a coordinator somewhere. He doesn’t call plays, Kafka apparently draws up the plays.. so he’s going to have to leave KC and do it somewhere else.

Seriously, can anyone give a clear answer as to what his role is? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Ask yourself this: which teams are likely to take a step back in the following scenarios?

1. Bieniemy leaves Chiefs

2. Daboll leaves Bills

3. Roman leaves Ravens

Bieniemy is my least favorite of the bunch. I still believe he's the favorite for the job but if the scuttlebutt is to be believed, he's dropped a bit. I slightly prefer Roman to Daboll, but Daboll has a very interesting side benefit of weakening a division rival at the same time.

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day you need to sell owners and GMs that you're the right guy to run their organization.

At the fan level it's as simple as "coordinators who do well tend to get jobs" but at the end of the day he needs to sell his vision and leadership which includes promoting the idea that he had a large hand in the prior team's success and (more importantly) that he has the requisite skills to bring that type of success to the new org.

None of us know for sure but given how many interviews the guy has had you have to think he just doesn't come off well during the process.

57 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Here...

MWBD5R4Q4RGNFO64RZ2WJVD73I.jpg

A picture of him with a play sheet doesn't mean be designs the plays and understands the concepts. He has said in interviews before that he is always in contact with Reid and the communication flows to Mahomes.

That sounds an awful lot like the whole Loggains reads a play number, Gase gives it the Ok/veto, and then passes it to Sam.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I think some off field incidents in Bienemy's past are making owners hesitant in this me-too world we live in where everything is under the microscope.

its this. no one knows how he will be covered. there is a lot there...

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'd be surprised if he didn't get a HC job this time around

If he doesn't, then we can assume there is some deeper issue - either his relatively minor run ins with the law in the past,  a nagging suspicion that he isn't an integral part of the KC success, or maybe that he just doesn't interview well

But, I think he will get a job this year

He'll fit in well with the Lions.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

If you don't have experience coming up with game plans and calling plays, you probably come off as less insightful on the white board. Practice makes perfect...

Also, if Andy Reid -- who knows him best -- doesn't trust him with more responsibility, why should a team hand over the keys?

Bingo.  If Mahomes was coming over and talking to Bienemy in key situations with Reid standing 10 feet away that would show some confidence.  I think Eric Bienemy is a good soldier, a smart guy and a positive leader, but I just don't think he's HC material.  At least not yet.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Then, of course, there could be a personal element, as well. 

This has always been an undercurrent to Bienemy unfortunately.  The DUI, the issue with impeding the Fire Department, the tacit acceptance/ignorance of the Colorado player incidents, etc.

I'll never say he's a bad human being and we all make mistakes.  But there's more than just one or two things in his past that raise questions about whether you want him to the be the face of the franchise, the guy at the podium every week representing your team.  As a coordinator, his personal decisions and some off-field issues don't really present a significant risk to an organization.  But as HC those are some concerns that the owner and GM would have to accept.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo.  If Mahomes was coming over and talking to Bienemy in key situations with Reid standing 10 feet away that would show some confidence.  I think Eric Bienemy is a good soldier, a smart guy and a positive leader, but I just don't think he's HC material.  At least not yet.

He seems much more of an unknown than the other coordinators on the list. A big risk with him is he would be too much of a CEO and be as detached from the offense and the defense as Rex was from the offense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The stumping for Bieniemy is unreal. He’s not getting hired because nobody knows what he actually does for the Chiefs. If he wants to be a HC, he needs to go be a coordinator somewhere. He doesn’t call plays, Kafka apparently draws up the plays.. so he’s going to have to leave KC and do it somewhere else.

Seriously, can anyone give a clear answer as to what his role is? 

Same as D-macs role as qb of the Eagles was.  He says "Yes Mr Andy" then goes and does what Reid told him to do.  His post Andy career will have the same successes as Mc Nabbs post Andy career.

I think the answer is that Joe D already knows who he wants as the HC, he probably has thought about it all year mayber even last year. My guess and it is just a guess is that he is going through with due diligence but he alreay knows who he wants to hire 1, 2, and 3. This guys might not be any of his first choice options. 

At the same rate he probably is making sure he doesnt miss out on someone either and is in no rush. This is his biggest choice so far. He just wants to get his guy.

No fear Im looking forward ot hearing who it is.

• Upvote 1

No talk of Bieniemy anymore?  Is he even going to get a second interview?  Wouldn't you guys prefer the Andy Reid Offense over the Kyle Shanahan Offense that we seem to be headed for??  We all know Reid designs and calls all the plays but is it that much of a leap of faith that he was able to learn it himself?

• Haha 1