Daniel Jeremiah first mock is out

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

We just have too many needs to take a RB that high -- there are good RBs that can be had later.

In the first you want a EDGE, OL, CB or WR, IMO.

We do have many glaring needs and RB is one of them

We failed to score points in the Red Zone 

A good passing game has a good running game. 

None of the RB's on the current roster are feature #1 RB's 

Ty Johnson looks to be the best of the group and depth at RB is a good thing.

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Our QB currently resides in Houston, TX. He’s only 25 years old. He has an awful running game, average wide receivers, no tight end, average offensive line yet still managed to throw for almost 5K yards, 33 touchdowns, and only 7 interceptions. 

Sounds like he played for the Jets last year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD should be fired if they take a defensive player in the first two rounds.

they need edge rushers and CB's and they are harder to find in the mid to later rounds.  RB, WR's TE's and other Oline besides LT can be had after the 1st 2 rounds

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

I have Fields below both Wilson and Lance, so this definitely pumps up my ego/potentially serves as confirmation bias. With Fields, I see all talent and vastly underdeveloped QB skill. Lance may have played in a limited game slate, but he's far more developed as it pertains to quarterbacking than Fields is, and he has just as much talent.  

Nothing wrong with preferring one or two QBs over another - but your logic is absurd (JMO)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Paradis said:

Wilson at #2 - not a fan, but i get it. 

Etienne at #23 is a joke. I have as much of a chance going in the 1st round as Etienne does, let alone by Joe Douglas on roster full of charlie chaplins.

Etienne would be the best RB this team has had in years. 

Jones 1400 yards 

Greene 540 yards 

Tomlinson 914 yards 

Greene 766 yards 

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Has us taking Wilson and then Etine with the Seattle pick. 

honestly the mock itself is really weird, IMO. Sewel falling pretty far, and Fields down kinda far too. Definitely the oddest mock I’ve seen so far. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets

If Rashod Bateman is there at #23 we need him, more than a rb, but all depends on the FA

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jones 1400 yards 

Greene 540 yards 

Tomlinson 914 yards 

Greene 766 yards 

So? 

*insert random NFL RB facts* 

I’m not saying he’s not a good RB. Nor am I saying we should not consider him. I’m telling you he’s not going in RND 1. I’ll bet you $50 to a charity right now with everybody here as witness.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So? 

*insert random NFL RB facts* 

I’m not saying he is not a good running back. Nor am I saying not consider him. I’m telling you he’s not going in RND 1. I’ll bet you $50 to a charity right now with everybody here as witness.

Opinions 

Not betting anything why must everything be a bet. 

The NY Jets need a legitimate RB no more re-treads,imposters,late round hopefuls. 

It hasn't worked in years here. 

A good passing game benefits from a good running game. 

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

A few things: 

1. If the Jets are picking second, I agree they will pick Zach Wilson. There is no scenario they pick 2nd and draft a player that's not a QB. As the process unfolds, I think we'll see Jeremiah acknowledge such (he doesn't do mock trades until his 2nd or 3rd mock)... as I have continuously have said, I think the Jets will keep an open mind throughout the process, but if you were to put odds on it, I'd say 60-70% chance Darnold is back and the Jets trade down. 
  2. I have Fields below both Wilson and Lance, so this definitely pumps up my ego/potentially serves as confirmation bias. With Fields, I see all talent and vastly underdeveloped QB skill. Lance may have played in a limited game slate, but he's far more developed as it pertains to quarterbacking than Fields is, and he has just as much talent. 
  3. I don't see any scenario we take a RB in round 1. 

How is Fields underdeveloped?

• Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach Wilson being the starting QB in 2021 is the most likely scenario

Fields would come in a relatively close second

Watson is a long shot

Sam is close to zero

I'll put some money on Sam . I still think we'll roll the dice with him this year and save that draft ammo to put a solid team with him. If he fails then we still have a more solid team in place for the next QB. Sorry but I'm really NOT sold on Fields and I think there's a 5% chance Watson comes here. Keep thinking of how that scum Kirk Cousins and his wife used us. I chuckle every time Minny loses. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wilson at #2 - not a fan, but i get it. 

Etienne at #23 is a joke. I have as much of a chance going in the 1st round as Etienne does, let alone by Joe Douglas on roster full of charlie chaplins.

If we go RB in the first or second round Id much prefer Najee Harris over Etienne.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is where we see if Woody is really back to his old self here, because he would overpay for Watson so he can fill the seats next year.  

They’re getting filled regardless. 1 year break is more than most fanatics can handle. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

We don’t want to panic buy, but can’t wait until next year every year to be competitive. 

I would offer the Texans both 2021 first rounders for Watson, if they take Darnold and his salary too.  That is it. 

I don’t think Texans take Darnold with that salary. In such a trade, Texans would ask the Jets to pay for majority of Sams salary (restructure?). They will already be taking a $6 hit when they trade DW. And they were projected to be over the cap even without the trade. That’s why they traded away DHop. Their 2022 situation is even worse with DW with just 30 mil of space and only 26 signed for 2022. A lot will change but the future isn’t so bright in Houston Can’t have too many superstars. 

I think the fact that DW wants to leave and the fact their future cap is f*cked, they would be more inclined to trade away DW for high draft capital (cheap rookie deals to cover 3-4 years). 

30 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Our QB currently resides in Houston, TX. He’s only 25 years old. He has an awful running game, average wide receivers, no tight end, average offensive line yet still managed to throw for almost 5K yards, 33 touchdowns, and only 7 interceptions. 

Look, I'll even volunteer you and me going down to pick Watson up and dropping him off at MetLife.  I'll spring for the rental of a fully-stocked tour bus.  Omelette bar, top shelf booze, chefs working steamship of beef carving stations and hand passed lobster rolls, desserts made exclusively by a noted chocolatier I'll fly in from Zurich, etc.  The works.  

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jones 1400 yards 

Greene 540 yards 

Tomlinson 914 yards 

Greene 766 yards 

Has nothing to with they could draft him later that 23rd. 

If we use a 1st on him, just not worried he provides value at 23.  

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

A few things: 

1. If the Jets are picking second, I agree they will pick Zach Wilson. There is no scenario they pick 2nd and draft a player that's not a QB. As the process unfolds, I think we'll see Jeremiah acknowledge such (he doesn't do mock trades until his 2nd or 3rd mock)... as I have continuously have said, I think the Jets will keep an open mind throughout the process, but if you were to put odds on it, I'd say 60-70% chance Darnold is back and the Jets trade down. 
  2. I have Fields below both Wilson and Lance, so this definitely pumps up my ego/potentially serves as confirmation bias. With Fields, I see all talent and vastly underdeveloped QB skill. Lance may have played in a limited game slate, but he's far more developed as it pertains to quarterbacking than Fields is, and he has just as much talent. 

Interesting that you've lowered your odds on Donald returning. It was most recently 75%.

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

A few things: 

saleh certainly didn't give darnold a vote of confidence yesterday.  your percentage estimate of how likely darnold will remain with the jets seems high to me.  i think wilson is the best qb in the draft by far and would excel in the system the jets are installing.  certainly these football guys know this.  why wouldn't you just take wilson and trade darnold and have the guy who is tailored to excel in this system?

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Thai Jet said:

I'll put some money on Sam . I still think we'll roll the dice with him this year and save that draft ammo to put a solid team with him. If he fails then we still have a more solid team in place for the next QB. 

I see this happening and after next season we will be sitting here discussing the need for a QB again. 

3 years or less of failure is enough for some organizations for ours it isn't. 

I hope he turns out to be the franchise QB we all thought he would be when he was drafted. 

At a pretty basic level I think it comes down to these options (in order of what fills the QB slot and retains the MOST draft picks for the Jets)....

• Keep Darnold, maximize the #2 pick on a non-QB player or trade down, build the team with an abundance of picks and Salary Cap, possibly punting the 5th year option and being prepared to use the Franchise Tag if somehow Darnold lights it up.
  • Take Zach Wilson at #2, use all your other picks and Salary Cap to build the team, trade Sam for something (assume a high 2nd)
  • Trade for Watson, most likely using the #2, probably another 2021 draft pick, and another two 1st round picks.  Reduce (but not really kill) the Salary Cap space for free agents over the coming years by taking on the Watson contract, use the remaining Salary Cap on FAs and a dramatically reduced quantity and quality of draft picks on young bodies and hopefuls.

Is this a fair way to think about it?  

• Upvote 1

Jones 1400 yards 

Greene 540 yards 

Tomlinson 914 yards 

Greene 766 yards 

Lemme tell you about a gem RB we signed. His name is Frank Gore and the heavens open up when he has the balls in his hands. 

Jones 1400 yards 

Greene 540 yards 

Tomlinson 914 yards 

Greene 766 yards 

Do you think Jones and Greene were "great"?  Or, was the rushing game great?

I think there's a misconception around here that the way to a great running game has to start with who the RB is.... I don't necessarily agree with that.

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A feature #1 RB is a luxury, not a priority.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Watson threw for 4800 yards last season with the #32 ranked running game.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Lemme tell you about a gem RB we signed. His name is Frank Gore and the heavens open up when he has the balls in his hands. 

Yes a true gem JD signed him AG got him his personal record. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well drafting a RB who should go in the 2nd with a 1st down pick doest work.  I doubt JD goes that way

Agree to disagree but I can see that happening. 

Hopefully Etienne or Harris is there. 

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Do you think Jones and Greene were "great"?  Or, was the rushing game great?

I think there's a misconception around here that the way to a great running game has to start with who the RB is.... I don't necessarily agree with that.

GROUND and POUND helped the passing game out immensely .