"Multiple teams" have called on Darnold, per Schefter

mrcoops

57 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Loved your post until the bolded. That won't be enough. For me, and probably for JD who's proven to be  tough negotiator. 

You're probably right.  But if the Jets are committed to either drafting a QB at #2 or using picks to trade for Watson (5% chance) then they'll have to take whatever they can get for him unfortunately.  I don't see a scenario where Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson are on the roster together.

44 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't have the draft chart, but I would think 2021 and 2022 first and second round would get you close point value wise

Actually not so much.  #2 = 2,600

#21 = 800, #54 = 360

1st next year is probably around 500 and #2 next year is around 225

So all that combined gives you just under 1,900 points.

I honestly don't see any way the Colts can deal for #2 unless it includes a serious player but since Nelson obviously isn't going to be on that list, I'm not sure who might be worth it to the Jets to bridge the gap. 

9 minutes ago, undertow said:

I still can't wrap my head around Detriot choosing Goff and 2 picks in the late 20's over 8 and Bridgewater

Four reasons I can think of right off the bat.

1) Lions tearing it down and and not a whole lot of difference between #8 and 2 picks in 20s.  Two cracks at the plate better than one. And you're assuming those picks will actually be in the 20s.  You never know in the NFL.  Texans didn't think pick they gave Miami would be #3.  No one did.

2) Goff one year closer to FA does still have value in a trade as you've already seen with other QB trades where most people find the price outrageous.

3) 2021 Draft Scouting and Evaluation compromised due to Covid-19.

4) Stafford preferred Rams and they did right thing by a long-time player who was a true pro, great with community, and tough ad nails.  Not unlike what we did for Pennington when we landed Farve and waived him.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, undertow said:

I still can't wrap my head around Detriot choosing Goff and 2 picks in the late 20's over 8 and Bridgewater

Just because the majority of posters here have decided that Goff sucks, doesn't mean he does. If Detroit values him, then it's a good deal. A young QB and two first rounders. Nothing wrong with this. 

They obviously don't like Bridgewater. Yes the 8th pick is valuable, but then who plays QB for them?

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Actually not so much.  #2 = 2,600

#21 = 800, #54 = 360

1st next year is probably around 500 and #2 next year is around 225

So all that combined gives you just under 1,900 points.

I honestly don't see any way the Colts can deal for #2 unless it includes a serious player but since Nelson obviously isn't going to be on that list, I'm not sure who might be worth it to the Jets to bridge the gap. 

It would take a lot more for the Colts to get from 21 to 2. A move up from 21 to 6-8 is a lot more realistic. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

There are a few things to this:

1. Sam Darnold has believers in the league. He'll be 24 years old in June, and teams attribute his lack of development directly to issues around him (Gase, Jets lack of talent). It wasn't long ago when they viewed him as an elite prospect who would go #2 overall in this class without a doubt.
  2. I don't think teams necessarily are necessarily looking at it as "he's better than Lance or Jones". I think yes, they may think he has more upside. I also think that teams aren't going to look at stats and will determine that despite 3 years of poor production, he's learned a lot and is more capable of leading a team now than those two are. 
  3. Some teams aren't built to mortgage future draft capital. Let's say that Sam were to get traded for a 1st/2nd round pick. This is how they're evaluating it: 1st/2nd round pick for Sam Darnold or 2+ 1st round picks for Trey Lance. A team like Washington who has a stable roster ready to compete but not talented enough to mortgage the future, has some financial flexibility in the short-term, and made the playoffs in spite of the QB may opt go with the former. A team like the Colts who while having financial flexibility are a year away from having to pay a bunch of guys top 5 money, have one of the best rosters in the NFL, and a great coaching staff may look at this as a year to go get their QB. 

The Colts were always the team I thought would trade for Wentz/Darnold because I know they like both, but I'm starting to think they will be one of the teams that makes an aggressive move up draft day instead. A QB on a rookie deal is a lot more valuable to them then other teams (like the Jets) who have very few players to pay over the next 2 years. Meanwhile, LG Quenton Nelson, LB Darius Leonard, RG Mark Glowinski, Nyheim Hines, Rock Ya-Sin will all be up for new contracts. If you insert a rookie QB, they can retain all those guys while making the 1 or 2 priority adds to try and put their team over the top. 

The way Ballard talks about drafting a QB, he makes it sound like a death sentence for his job security. And would want that to be the last option he goes to. Could all be a smoke screen but it's pretty weird the way he talks about drafting a rookie QB. 

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

The way Ballard talks about drafting a QB, he makes it sound like a death sentence for his job security. And would want that to be the last option he goes to. Could all be a smoke screen but it's pretty weird the way he talks about drafting a rookie QB. 

Yes but he says so while acknowledging that if you find your guy then you go get him. I think they really like Lance. 

1 minute ago, Jetsbb said:

Huh? Actually @Mogglez and @football guy have been saying this whole time the Jets are leaning toward keeping Darnold.

Hmm did you even read the article? Or our posts?

Jets have been getting calls for months now. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

Four reasons I can think of right off the bat.

1) Lions tearing it down and and not a whole lot of difference between #8 and 2 picks in 20s.  Two cracks at the plate better than one. And you're assuming those picks will actually be in the 20s.  You never know in the NFL.  Texans didn't think pick they gave Miami would be #3.  No one did.

2) Goff one year closer to FA does still have value in a trade as you've already seen with other QB trades where most people find the price outrageous.

3) 2021 Draft Scouting and Evaluation compromised due to Covid-19.

4) Stafford preferred Rams and they did right thing by a long-time player who was a true pro, great with community, and tough ad nails.  Not unlike what we did for Pennington when we landed Farve and waived him.

I stopped reading after I read there's not a whole lot of difference between 2 late round picks then the 8th.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

FWIW, nothing has changed. I don't think the Jets are going to rush and make a decision. I don't think he'll get traded, but as I've said, if a team gets bold and offers a 1st round pick I have a hard time believing they wouldn't strongly consider jumping on it.

I still think the most likely outcome will be a trade down from #2 to #8

My prediction is Jets take Wilson at 2 !! I think Washington will offer 19 and Jets will Trade Sam and Their 3rd . Regardless I think Washington. Offers a nice package for sam 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Just because the majority of posters here have decided that Goff sucks, doesn't mean he does. If Detroit values him, then it's a good deal. A young QB and two first rounders. Nothing wrong with this. 

They obviously don't like Bridgewater. Yes the 8th pick is valuable, but then who plays QB for them?

I don't think most of the GMs in the league think Goff isn't that good.  But yeah the trade only makes sense if Goff turns out to be their long term starter not a place holder for 2 years.

5 minutes ago, undertow said:

I stopped reading after I read there's not a whole lot of difference between 2 late round picks then the 8th.

I didn't say late round.  If picks were in the same year...the #8 pick is equal to the #25 and #27 picks.  We aren't talking about a top 3 pick here where there is a highly coveted QB.

I stand by what I said, not a big difference.  And again, you're assuming those picks will in fact be in the mid 20s.

8 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

I didn't say late round.  If picks were in the same year...the #8 pick is equal to the #25 and #27 picks.  We aren't talking about a top 3 pick here where there is a highly coveted QB.

I stand by what I said, not a big difference.  And again, you're assuming those picks will in fact be in the mid 20s.

None of the picks are even this year.  And there's no way I'm trading 2 future picks in the 20's for the 8th pick this year especially when you are a rebuilding team that needs a QB.  But I think the reason they made the trade is because they think that guy is Goff not because they prefer 2 future picks in the 20's over 8 this year.

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

There are a few things to this:

1. Sam Darnold has believers in the league. He'll be 24 years old in June, and teams attribute his lack of development directly to issues around him (Gase, Jets lack of talent). It wasn't long ago when they viewed him as an elite prospect who would go #2 overall in this class without a doubt.
  2. I don't think teams necessarily are necessarily looking at it as "he's better than Lance or Jones". I think yes, they may think he has more upside. I also think that teams aren't going to look at stats and will determine that despite 3 years of poor production, he's learned a lot and is more capable of leading a team now than those two are. 
  3. Some teams aren't built to mortgage future draft capital. Let's say that Sam were to get traded for a 1st/2nd round pick. This is how they're evaluating it: 1st/2nd round pick for Sam Darnold or 2+ 1st round picks for Trey Lance. A team like Washington who has a stable roster ready to compete but not talented enough to mortgage the future, has some financial flexibility in the short-term, and made the playoffs in spite of the QB may opt go with the former. A team like the Colts who while having financial flexibility are a year away from having to pay a bunch of guys top 5 money, have one of the best rosters in the NFL, and a great coaching staff may look at this as a year to go get their QB. 

The Colts were always the team I thought would trade for Wentz/Darnold because I know they like both, but I'm starting to think they will be one of the teams that makes an aggressive move up draft day instead. A QB on a rookie deal is a lot more valuable to them then other teams (like the Jets) who have very few players to pay over the next 2 years. Meanwhile, LG Quenton Nelson, LB Darius Leonard, RG Mark Glowinski, Nyheim Hines, Rock Ya-Sin will all be up for new contracts. If you insert a rookie QB, they can retain all those guys while making the 1 or 2 priority adds to try and put their team over the top. 

I would imagine a team who can afford to hedge at QB would take on Darnold and give him a one year tryout, especially a team with an egomaniacal head coach who thinks he can turn bad players into good players. San Francisco is the obvious one, I’d think, but I feel like the Colts are too close to competing to gamble on a Darnold turnaround. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

My prediction is Jets take Wilson at 2 !! I think Washington will offer 19 and Jets will Trade Sam and Their 3rd . Regardless I think Washington. Offers a nice package for sam 

People said they knew Mahomes was good when they watched him workout.

JD has to put his eyes, and the doctors their hands, on Wilson.  I am sure he is training hard now.  His mother is a personal trainer.  If he physically looks like an NFL QB and his athleticism tests out, I think JD could draft him at 2, or someone else will trade up to.  

If he is the size of Baker Mayfield, I don't think JD picks that. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, football guy said:

Yes but he says so while acknowledging that if you find your guy then you go get him. I think they really like Lance. 

Hmm did you even read the article? Or our posts?

Jets have been getting calls for months now. 

I like Lance as well. 
Keep Darnold for one more year and groom Lance.  That is my play and I hope that the Jets do just this.  

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Huh? Actually @Mogglez and @football guy have been saying this whole time the Jets are leaning toward keeping Darnold.

That isn't going to stop teams from calling.  We've both maintained for months that league belief in Sam is more substantial than fan belief and he will be sought after.  I also said a week ago that I believe they will trade him for a mid to late 1st, if they could get it:
image.thumb.png.30663c98ff37b426b08926158afb7f61.png

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That isn't going to stop teams from calling.  We've both maintained for months that league belief in Sam is more substantial than fan belief and he will be sought after.  I also said a week ago that I believe they will trade him for a late 1st, if they could get it:

Would you agree that this is potentially subject to change after the Jets are able to interview and really evaluate Justin Fields and Zach Wilson?

• Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That isn't going to stop teams from calling.  We've both maintained for months that league belief in Sam is more substantial than fan belief and he will be sought after.  I also said a week ago that I believe they will trade him for a mid to late 1st, if they could get it:

Agreed ! If they can potentially get 19th I think they do it 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Would you agree that this is potentially subject to change after the Jets are able to interview and really evaluate Justin Fields and Zach Wilson?

Oh absolutely.  I’ve been saying since December that I believe Wilson, in particular, is going to blow people away on the whiteboard.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, undertow said:

None of the picks are even this year.  And there's no way I'm trading 2 future picks in the 20's for the 8th pick this year especially when you are a rebuilding team that needs a QB.  But I think the reason they made the trade is because they think that guy is Goff not because they prefer 2 future picks in the 20's over 8 this year.

Stafford wanted to go to LA, not Carolina. That is why the trade was made.