Jets 1st Round Picks. Painful.

JazzyJet

I was just perusing out draft history as I do every year around this time and wow is it painful. It is so so so bad. The last few crappy years were the fruit of the terrible drafting that took place between 2010-2016 particularly. You can't come back from this kind of drafting. Just your friendly reminder that first round picks don't always pan out?

2008 - Vernon Gholston

2010 - Kyle Wilson

2012 - Quinton Coples

2013 - Dee Milliner

2014 - Calvin Pryor

2016 - Darron Lee

Honorable mentions from 2nd round: 2012 - Stephen Hill, 2013 - Geno Smith, 2014 - Jace Amaro, 2015 - Devin Smith, 2016 - Christian Hackenberg

LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Let’s not forget 

Carl Barzilauskis 

Ron Farout 

Johnny Lam Jones 

Dave Cadigan

Mike Haight

the list of first round busts on this team is endless 

As it is for a lot if not most teams who have been in existence for as long as the Jets have been.

Theres a reason they call the draft a crap shoot 

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Coples and Millener and Gholston were exceptional athletes and on top of everybody's draft boards.  Coples strong like bull.

Just crazy how hard it is to project these guys.

Coples simply could not obey the rules.  While not a great pass rusher, every time he got near the quarterback, he hit him in the head.  Fifteen yards.  Decent against the run but a total wack job. After being cut he got one cup of coffee and was out of the league.  No significant injuries and he kept in tip top shape.  Uncoachable.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Let’s not forget 

Carl Barzilauskis 

Ron Farout 

Johnny Lam Jones 

Dave Cadigan

Mike Haight

the list of first round busts on this team is endless 

This is the more painful list. 

We desperately needed Haight and Cadigan to work out.  Kenny O'Brien was a championship level QB  He could beat you all by himself.  When he was on, the game was over.  But he was like Payton Manning.  No wheels of any kind.  Best QB since Broadway Joe.  Worse, Haight was exactly who we thought he was.  But he was a pulling guard.  An obsolete position in the pros today  but everybody used to have one.  But the game had changed and he was too light.  Cadigan was a stud, but his career ended when the NFL took away his steroids. 

Ron Farout was not even in Joel Buchbaum's draft guide.  We took him like 10th.  When we cut him one year later - uninjured - not one team took a sniff.

Lam Jones had like five catches in college.  He was the second pick.  How can you do that?!? 

• Upvote 3

Who was the last Jets 1st round WR taken?

Who are the most recent three 1000 yard receivers?

How many safeties, ILBs, DTs, and Cornerbacks have the Jets taken in the 1st round the last 15 years?

It's really not rocket science why our teams are hot garbage offensively every year, the Jets have fundamentally not understand how to build a team for a long time. Nor frankly, have they actually hit on many 1st rounders either.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Who was the last Jets 1st round WR taken?

Who are the most recent three 1000 yard receivers?

How many safeties, ILBs, DTs, and Cornerbacks have the Jets taken in the 1st round the last 15 years?

It's really not rocket science why our teams are hot garbage offensively every year, the Jets have fundamentally not understand how to build a team for a long time. Nor frankly, have they actually hit on many 1st rounders either.

Keyshawn was the last wr taken in the first round but they did draft Brecht and Keller and Kyle Brady in round one.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

This poor drafting over the past 15 years has been covered extensively. All we can say is the jets would be pretty talented if they hit on half of their first and second rounders. It just didn’t happen.

They could have literally just picked from Kiper's or McShays "best available" list and done far better. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

They could have literally just picked from Kiper's or McShays "best available" list and done far better. 

Or Jeremiah's. I read somewhere that as much crap as they get for being armchair GMs their records are actually better than most GMs in evaluating talent. Also Gil Brandt's Top 100 has been very predictive.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

I was just perusing out draft history as I do every year around this time and wow is it painful. It is so so so bad. The last few crappy years were the fruit of the terrible drafting that took place between 2010-2016 particularly. You can't come back from this kind of drafting. Just your friendly reminder that first round picks don't always pan out?

2008 - Vernon Gholston

2010 - Kyle Wilson

2012 - Quinton Coples

2013 - Dee Milliner

2014 - Calvin Pryor

2016 - Darron Lee

Honorable mentions from 2nd round: 2012 - Stephen Hill, 2013 - Geno Smith, 2014 - Jace Amaro, 2015 - Devin Smith, 2016 - Christian Hackenberg

LOL

This is lazy. You can do the entire turn of the century to show how much we invested on defense to constantly suck on defense.......... in an league that orbits around offense more and more with rule changes every year. We didn't even waste most of those high picks on dudes who can play in the league. Calvin Pryor had a longer career than most

5 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

I was just perusing out draft history as I do every year around this time and wow is it painful.

You do this yearly, right? 

So you already know it's painful, right? 

And since you do this yearly, I'm assuming you've known it been painful for years, right?

So why bring it up in a brand new post? 

Do you think we, who've been on this board for years, don't know this already?

******* Jets fans man....never have I ever seen a group of people who just love to wallow in and simultaneously proclaim their misery.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Crazy how many guys we drafted so high who were all but out of the league after their rookie deal.

I knew something was off with Milliner. He just never seemed the elite prospect he was sold as. Anti-ball skills. 

What pisses me off more than anything isn’t just the misses it’s the complete f*cking neglect of one side of the ball. Even if every one on that list hit we’d still have been trotting out bottom 5 offenses every year in a league geared towards scoring. I am genuinely convinced that most of this forun could have selected better in the last 10 years or so. It’s astoundingly bad.

F*ck this franchise. Seriously. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2014 New York Jets – The 2010, 2012 and 2013 classes weren’t much better, but the Calvin Pryor/Jace Amaro 1-2 punch gives this group the edge

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-draft-which-teams-had-the-10-worst-draft-classes-this-century-193503166.html

At least the Jets weren’t in the top ten. Not sure how. 

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Lam Jones had like five catches in college.  He was the second pick.  How can you do that?!? 

I remember that draft well.  Lam was considered a stud.  I always remember Ray Perkins questioning how any team was going to cover Lam and Walker.  

As for college he caught 85 passes for 1,603 yards, 18.9 per with 14 TDs.  1970s college ball.  Playing for Texas.  He was a top college player.  

Lets not forget he was a gold medal winner at the 1976 Montreal Olympics in track.  He busted still.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1