Giants to tag Leonard Williams?

GreekJet

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2021 DT tag value:  $14.2M

2021 S tag value:  $11.2M  

And in the unlikely event that Williams counts as a DE, his tag amount would be $17.8M.

I'm not in favor of tagging Maye either, for the record.

This will be year #2 for Leonard on the tag so that number goes up. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

This will be year #2 for Leonard on the tag so that number goes up. 

Great point, forgot about that.  So the Giants would be paying Williams $19.4M if they tag him, since it goes up 120 % the 2nd time per the CBA.  Last year he cost them $16.2M.

I edited my above post to reflect this.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Leo was really good for them last year.  As I expected, as he has gone to the Mo Wilkerson school of big year get paid.  Loaf.

I think you have to give Joe Judge a lot of credit. That’s what can happen when you have a true leader at the helm who holds players accountable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Giants eat up over 10% of their cap in a down year on Williams and having the bum revert back to the mean

I’m glad you unbanned yourself.  Quality take here. You just know Leo is going to Muhammad Wilkerson this situation.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Williams tag amount in 2021:  $19.4M   

2021 estimated S tag value (per OTC):  $11.2M  

I'm not in favor of tagging Maye either, for the record.

$11.2M is a good number for Maye for one season.  It could also push him to sign a longer term deal.

I’d have no problem tagging him.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

$11.2M is a good number for Maye for one season.  It could also push him to sign a longer term deal.

I’d have no problem tagging him.

I get it but I’d rather just sign him long term.  Who knows how much he’d be looking for if he has a monster year.  We can probably get him back at a reasonable number at this time. Why d**k around?

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get it but I’d rather just sign him long term.  Who knows how much he’d be looking for if he has a monster year.  We can probably get him back at a reasonable number at this time. Why d**k around?

Then get the deal done before the window to tag him closes.  I don’t think they’re d!cking around but if the Jets get to the point where they can’t tag him and he’s a FA then who knows if he’ll be back.

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Very happy for Williams. He was a good Jet. 

Me too.  It  was a sad day indeed when we threw away a solid player because we refused to pay him.  What did we do with the salary cap space?  Nothing.

I honestly believe that if he had been a 4th round pick and the Jets acted in the same manner many Jet fans would be up in arms.

He is a solid three-down lineman who can two-gap in a 3-4 or play inside or out in a 4-3.  Do any of his detractors really believe that he does not start on this team?  Or is the unhappiness due to concern for Woody's millions?

If we were the 2021 Saints and were forced to make hard choices I would be upset but would at least understand.  

What worries me is the fear that we tried to sign him but he quietly told us that he was going to test free agency if we did not trade him.  In other words, he was already gone because he was ashamed to wear the green regardless of the money.  

I predict he will be a ten-year starter in the league and will command starter's money throughout his career.  For players like him, that is 15 - 20 million per year depending on leverage.  After all, it is a billion dollar business.   

Edited by clayton163v
I edited the post to add the highlighted language, thanks.
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1