John McClain from Houston Chronicle on NFL Radio on Serius Radio 88 at 11 AM

Just now, Biggs said:

Picks next year are worth less than picks this year.  Sitting him cost them trade capital.  Everything moves back a year.  The team will stink and the pressure on their GM and HC goes up and his value goes down once he actually is sitting out.  

I think they get absolute max value before this draft.  If it comes to sitting out their leverage goes down.  Teams have made other plans, etc., etc., etc.

Plus, this year there are three teams that have two picks in the first round (although JAX isn't in this, so two).

Next year, there are also two.  NYJ and DET.  But there is no guarantee that either of them will be sitting with a top-5 pick (although DET is certainly a contender).  Having picks #2 and #23, or #3 and #18 available in a trade is rare and having two teams with those pairs of picks to play off each other is almost a unicorn moment.  They would be crazy to gamble on getting that kind of value next year.  But it's HOU so who knows...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Picks next year are worth less than picks this year.  Sitting him cost them trade capital.  Everything moves back a year.  The team will stink and the pressure on their GM and HC goes up and his value goes down once he actually is sitting out.  

I think they get absolute max value before this draft.  If it comes to sitting out their leverage goes down.  Teams have made other plans, etc., etc., etc.

Except next year they're worth just as much.  Just because people say it doesn't make it true.

And every minute Watson sits out he loses Millions.  I believe the Texans have a price and they are prepared to let Watson sit if they don't get it.

What that price is I don't know - but it's almost def. more than 2 1's and a 2.  Jets got 2 1's and a 3 for Jamal Adams.  

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Except next year they're worth just as much.  Just because people say it doesn't make it true.

And every minute Watson sits out he loses Millions.  I believe the Texans have a price and they are prepared to let Watson sit if they don't get it.

What that price is I don't know - but it's almost def. more than 2 1's and a 2.  Jets got 2 1's and a 3 for Jamal Adams.  

And a bad DB..LOL

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you even willing to consider that the #2 pick is worth a great deal more than the #23 pick?  Because you make it seem like all 1st rounders are the same.

FWIW the trade value chart puts the value of #2 at almost exactly 3x the value of #23.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Are you even willing to consider that the #2 pick is worth a great deal more than the #23 pick?  Because you make it seem like all 1st rounders are the same.

Sure, of course - but it's not all that better than #3.

Are you willing to consider that #2, #23 and #34 isn't getting it done.

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The leverage is letting him sit out the year.

As I've heard stated around here forever, he's so young.  They can have him sit a year and get their value next year.  They're in no rush to move him.

If they really want and think they can 4 1's and 3 2's (Darnold is a 2 value right now)

They're not taking 2 1's and a 2.  

This has been reported a lot, if they didn't think they could get that they wouldn't have it out there - If there fan base is expecting a haul like that - they can't accept half of it.

Waiting a year is not giving them leverage in trade negotiations, it is calling Watson's bluff.  And they could do that.  But the threat of allowing Watson to sit out a year should not change what JD offers (if he offers anything).

Houston can choose to wait a year, but they are not likely to get more next year than they could get now.  IF Watson sits out a year, they are in a worse position than now.  And also, what is the likelihood that they find themselves in a similar spot to where they are this year.  Divisional rivals with the 2 and 3 overall picks, both of whom have a second first round pick. 

If they want to maximize their return, they trade him this offseason.  If they want to try to keep Watson, call his bluff and see how the next 12 months play out.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Expects he will be traded.

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tua is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

As the Jets GM, I would counter with offering the Texans our second pick of the draft this year, Darnold, and our second round pick for next year.

If they can get a better deal somewhere else, then I would want to hear it and consider if I wanted to up my offer or not.

If Carolina offered their #1 pick this year, their #1 pick next year, plus their 2nd round picks this and next year, I still believe my offer would be considered better than theirs.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure, of course - but it's not all that better than #3.

Are you willing to consider that #2, #23 and #34 isn't getting it done.

Consider sure.  But if MIA isn't inclined to go any bigger, than HOU may be looking at less than the wild fantasies currently out there suggest they'll get.  Who knows...

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Dolphins & Jets are most likely trade partners. Discussions with Jets should start with with both 1s this year and next, plus 2s this year and next plus Darnold who can start while you groom your QB.  (He said this, not me.  I like Watson, but not for 6 picks and Sam)

If they believe Tua is franchise QB, they can deal with Phins for Tua, two 1s, two 2s and another high 2022 pick.  Does not see it being anyone but Jets or Dolphins; and if they don't like Tua, they shoud work with Jets exclusively because of value of #2.

Did not mention Carolina or anyone else as likely destination.  Just Jets or Phins. 

This is negotiating you start high, everyone is getting too worked up over this 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

Every time I see this absolutely ludicrous trade scenario I'm annoyed.

There's no effin way JD does that crap.  It would be career suicide.

Joe Douglas would be absolutely insane to trade away all those high picks for one player.  That would be grounds for immediate firing as far as I am concerned.

Four 1s including #2, two 2s, and Darnold.  There is zero chance Douglas is considering anything close to this amount.

The more this type of nonsense is spouted by the media, the less of a chance Watson is traded.  The expectations among Texans fans are sky high due to this type of narrative.  There is no way the Texans can accept less than half of this compensation (realistically what any team would give up) from a PR perspective especially when you consider the Hopkins trade abomination last year which is still hurting them.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

One Dark Horse nobody has ever mentioned just occurred to me.  HOU either needs a top-3 pick or a legitimate QB to bring in to replace Watson.  Tua and Sam aren't the latter.  But what if Derek Carr was.  He's actually been pretty successful in the league but for whatever reason, he seems to carry the blame for all of LV's problems.  

So, serious question. If you're the Texans, and you're trying to save face, would Derek Carr, this year's #1 and #2, and next year's #1 from LV look better than any package the Jets or Fins could give?

No chance from what I’ve heard from some pod the relationship between the Carrs and the Texans is destroyed because of David and their parents, from his time in Houston 

22 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

let’s see if i have this right - we pick up a young franchise qb and give up any hope of rebuilding this talent barren franchise - in two years watson is demanding a trade and we’re all browns/raider fans - thankfully jd is way too savvy for anything like this - houston can dream however......

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You’d think the GM would have a plan to build the team if he traded for Watson right? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The leverage is letting him sit out the year.

As I've heard stated around here forever, he's so young.  They can have him sit a year and get their value next year.  They're in no rush to move him.

If they really want and think they can 4 1's and 3 2's (Darnold is a 2 value right now)

They're not taking 2 1's and a 2.  

This has been reported a lot, if they didn't think they could get that they wouldn't have it out there - If there fan base is expecting a haul like that - they can't accept half of it.

they let him sit this year he is worth less next year, not more or even the same

17 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This is negotiating you start high, everyone is getting too worked up over this 

well there's a point where when you start too high you get told to shove it up your f*cking ass.....that's the territory that bullsh*t is in

if i am douglas and this is what they start off with i tell them to go **** themselves and hang up

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Mclain:

I did not downvote posting the quote, which was helpful, but the content.  

This is crazytown, but Tannenbaum and Woody would do that deal.  

I would offer both 1s this year, the higher of the two next year (determine next year) and Darnold.   Let Miami match/beat it.  

Otherwise draft a base of players.

Put another way, assume the Jets were taking 3/4 of a QB, CB, WR or G in rounds 1 and 2 this year.  They get Watson.  Now they have FA and rounds 3 and below to fill the rest of the roster.   Watson costs a little more this year and a lot more next year.  Do you pay Maye $10mm?

JD was not great in rounds 3 and 4 last year.  He is going to build a team in FA that has a better roster than the Texans did last year?  

I think the playoffs are 50/50 with Watson if they give up all of their 1st and 2nd round picks in 2021/22.

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

FWIW the trade value chart puts the value of #2 at almost exactly 3x the value of #23.

They could let Watson sit the year, finish 0-16, then trade down, trade Watson and rebuild the entire team. That's what i'd do.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like this is the bulk of why the Jets are in pole position, because any trade involving Miami and Houston would require both teams to eat some sh*t to make it work, and it really comes down to whether Houston wants Tua or Zack Wilson, and I can’t see how they sell Tua to the Houston fanbase after he’s been exposed so badly and so quickly in the league. Honestly, I don’t see how either Tua or Darnold make sense as trade chips for Houston if saving face is a consideration. 

Darnold's value to HOU is as a tradeable asset; given the reportage on that front the Texans could flip him for at least another 2nd round pick. Basically, he's a way of dealing them some other team in this draft's 2d round pick.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, this is definitely a wise way to look at things. Also, $100 next year is worth exactly as much as $100 today, because time-value is not a thing that exists, I guess.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

they let him sit this year he is worth less next year, not more or even the same

I firmly believe - negotiations or not, leverage or no leverage, bidders or no bidders.

Jax has a price at which they're willing to let Watson sit and a price at which they're willing to trade him.

It's not as simple as highest bid gets him.  Now, if they can get people bidding and drive it up, good for them.

But I can't imagine they trade him for 2 1's and a 2.  I just don't see it happening,.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

The Jet FO and JD haven't said anything that I recall about getting Watson or even being interested have they??

They haven’t. But the tight lip even if interested is a good thing. As opposed to blabber mouths like Mr T. ?

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I think you're selling Mclain short as he IS the Texan's assigned leaker

If the Texans are using McClain to leak out trade considerations, this will likely blow up on them from a PR perspective, like everything they do these days does.  Texans fans are now setting their expectations at ridiculous levels and will go nuts when they get 3 firsts and a third for Watson instead of 4 firsts and 2 seconds.

• Upvote 1

Take it for what it is but Craig Carton is saying it’s over for the Jets regarding the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes. He says the Arizona Cardinals will make a big push for Watson for a couple of reasons. One is he would be reunited with Hopkins and Watt, and Arizona can offer the Texans an up and coming QB in Kyler Murray.

13 minutes ago, MykePM said:

If the Texans are using McClain to leak out trade considerations, this will likely blow up on them from a PR perspective, like everything they do these days does.  Texans fans are now setting their expectations at ridiculous levels and will go nuts when they get 3 firsts and a third for Watson instead of 4 firsts and 2 seconds.

Right--I see this as the Texans floating their high position in negotiations now so the subsequent discussion is how much less is Watson worth than starting at zero and building up how much more Watson is worth than taking a QB in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Woody Johnson might though.

nothing about the current arrangement makes me think that Woody would make JD do anything he is opposed to doing. In fact JD strikes me like the type of dude that would get up and leave if he were to do that. 

• Sympathy 1