Gettleman… this is an example of how you stand up for your players

19 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Gentleman picked Jones, JD didn’t draft Sam.

that’s it, that’s all.

That’s the completely wrong way to look at - JD shouldn’t publicly support and back his guys?

If he does end up keeping him, they won’t have a real relationship/ if he does want to deal him, you have nothing to gain not representing your position in the best way possible 

I don’t get what the strategy is here. 

1 minute ago, Lizard King said:

That’s the completely wrong way to look at - JD shouldn’t publicly support and back his guys?

If he does end up keeping him, they won’t have a real relationship/ if he does want to deal him, you have nothing to gain not representing your position in the best way possible 

Sam’s NOT his guy.

What don’t you understand? JD doesn’t need to risk his professional career on a guy who didn’t help himself last year and the year before. Sam had his chance, and he failed.The other players see it too.

It’s over for Sam as a Jet. I do wish him luck elsewhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Gettleman has no choice but to defend Jones. thats his pick. if Jones continues to bust hes gone. especially when he passed on Allen to draft Barkley.

then like many of you guys want to do he kicked the QB can down the road and got a worst QB class in 2019. thats something we really need to think about. passing on a QB and getting one the next year doesnt seem to work out to well for alot of teams

JD and Saleh didnt draft Sam. most GMs and coaches want there own draft pick at QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, doitny said:

then like many of you guys want to do he kicked the QB can down the road and got a worst QB class in 2019. thats something we really need to think about. passing on a QB and getting one the next year doesnt seem to work out to well for alot of teams

JD and Saleh didnt draft Sam. most GMs and coaches want there own draft pick at QB.

Bingo. 

Also, taking a running back at #2 overall was a joke. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Maybe Sam appreciates Joe D’s candor.  It’s not like JD is saying bad things about Sam, or has even been apathetic.  Quite the contrary.  He’s been very complimentary, as has Coach Saleh.  He’s just been frank that he’ll listen to trade offers.  I respect that more than if he had issued a “Sam Darnold is our Quarterback” proclamation, just to trade him a few weeks later.  That would make everybody look like fools - Sam included.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sam’s NOT his guy.

What don’t you understand? JD doesn’t need to risk his professional career on a guy who didn’t help himself last year and the year before. Sam had his chance, and he failed.The other players see it too.

It’s over for Sam as a Jet. I do wish him luck elsewhere.

LOL. Oh ok, “not his guy” so maybe the GM is playing the CYA on his career game… news flash, you take a GM job especially in NY, you have already risked your career and this is not the moment that is going to break it, that moment was when you signed your contract 

…. Is Darnold still on the roster? Then it does not matter if he drafted him. Sure looks like his guy for the time being. Matters that he may be stuck with him. 

Also matters that he may just need to put on a happy face and try to negotiate in the best light possible. 

short sighted. 

• WTF? 1

12 hours ago, Lizard King said:

You really need to listen to the clip to appreciate 

https://www.nfl.com/news/giants-gm-dave-gettleman-on-qb-daniel-jones-we-really-believe-he-s-the-guy

"We've had Daniel for two years; we've done the evaluation on him and we really believe he's the guy. No reason to go look," Gettleman said, via team transcript, when asked if he was tempted to look at other options for the quarterback position. "What we're doing isn't fantasy football, we're not playing, we're not doing that. We've got a conviction on him, he's everything we want, he's got all the physical skills and again I say this all the time, the kid just finished his second year of NFL football. How many of us after two years at our new job were great? No, we all start at point 'A' and we hopefully get to point 'Z,' but the one common denominator is it takes time. Everybody has to understand that. We believe in Daniel and that's where it is."

The Jets were saying the same thing about Sam before this season. If this year, Daniel Jones plays like the 32nd ranked QB and they earn the #2 overall pick, this would sound a lot different.

Also remember when OBJ wasn't getting traded? 2 weeks later, traded haha

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Gettleman is a stand up guy. Always had been. Not surprising he was able to identify Joe Judge as a great head coach. I’m not a Jones fan, but Gettlemans track record speaks for itself. 

Gettlemans track record.....Judge is a great head coach.  

Great takes

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Gettlemans track record.....Judge is a great head coach.  

Great takes

You need to be a tough SOB to be successful as a HC in the NFL. The Joe Judge/Dan Campbell style is where the NFL is going. Judge punched out Marc Colombo last year. You don’t that that earned him lifetime respect in that Locker room?

11 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Gettleman is a stand up guy. Always had been.

On OBJ:

"We didn't sign him to trade him, if that's what you're asking," Gettleman said, throwing cold water on resurfaced rumors.

When asked if that means Beckham will be with Big Blue next season, the GM added: "You heard what I said."

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

You need to be a tough SOB to be successful as a HC in the NFL. The Joe Judge/Dan Campbell style is where the NFL is going. Judge punched out Marc Colombo last year. You don’t that that earned him lifetime respect in that Locker room?

No, you need to know how to manage players, know how to communicate, how to teach and how to delegate.  

Sounding tough sounds good to fans but all HCs are tough.  If they weren't they dont get to that level.  You think losing your head and punching another coach proves youre a tough guy and earns respect?  Lifetime of respect?  NoI dont

And I dont think Judge is a great HC after his one season. Then again, I'm not a Giants fan.

Ask Josh Norman how great Gettelman is at standing up for his players.  

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Daniel Jones has 29 fumbles and 22 INTS in 27 games.

The best thing about this post is that it is true.  I thought it was an exaggeration, but it's not.

11 hours ago, Lizard King said:

First of all, I don't see how pretending to be a moron that can't see what is obvious to even the most casual observer is a "strategy."  Second, to the extent that anybody believes it, he will lose any leverage he has that we intend to take a QB with the #2 overall.  At that point teams will be less likely to trade up.  Third, who gives a ****?  If the player has that delicate a psyche they are not going to succeed anyway.  I mean no player has ever had success without a "real relationship" with his GM.

46 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

elohel.

Now Judge punched out Colombo?  Early reports that he was decked and was walking around with a shiner.  Later they said that Colombo just cursed him out, but that there was no physical altercation.  As for him being the "alpha" ...

multiple reports indicated that Colombo was informed of his firing by team security as a means to avoid any physical confrontation between Colombo and Judge.

The Giants rallied around Judge and DeGuglielmo to average 14 ppg after the bye.  He's a mini-Mangini!

3 hours ago, Lizard King said:

LOL. Oh ok, “not his guy” so maybe the GM is playing the CYA on his career game… news flash, you take a GM job especially in NY, you have already risked your career and this is not the moment that is going to break it, that moment was when you signed your contract 

…. Is Darnold still on the roster? Then it does not matter if he drafted him. Sure looks like his guy for the time being. Matters that he may be stuck with him. 

Also matters that he may just need to put on a happy face and try to negotiate in the best light possible. 

short sighted. 

Robot Reaction GIF

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

imagine how good the Jets would be if Douglas held a presser where he was like “we love Sam, he is very handsome, it’s Actually Good that he ******* sucks”

That would be a great example of standing up for your players, which would then mean something, somewhere to someone at sometime.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Amazing how a thread about Jones and Gettleman becomes a Sam thread. 

The situation on the Giants is very different than what they Jets are facing. They can afford to give Jones more time, he just finished  his second season. Sam is more or less in a contract year. 

That's because all it was from the start, was a thinly veiled Sam thread.

7 minutes ago, fullblast said:

That's because all it was from the start, was a thinly veiled Sam thread.

The OP is reading the whole thing wrong. I would say Gettleman is upset Jomes is still a question and doesn't  want to be asked about him until he needs to make a decision  which isn't  this year. 

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Gettleman is a lost cause. He’s just speaking in circles as of now. Surprised the Maras are giving him another draft. That team is in trouble for a long time. No future whatsoever 

Loyalty can be great, and it is refreshing to hear what Gettleman said, but the problem is, that level of loyalty is worth nothing if the guys you are loyal to arent any good.

Maybe he's right and Jones can make some sort of leap, but it doesnt seem like there is a ton there to work with, even with a decent team around him.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lizard King said:

You really need to listen to the clip to appreciate 

https://www.nfl.com/news/giants-gm-dave-gettleman-on-qb-daniel-jones-we-really-believe-he-s-the-guy

"We've had Daniel for two years; we've done the evaluation on him and we really believe he's the guy. No reason to go look," Gettleman said, via team transcript, when asked if he was tempted to look at other options for the quarterback position. "What we're doing isn't fantasy football, we're not playing, we're not doing that. We've got a conviction on him, he's everything we want, he's got all the physical skills and again I say this all the time, the kid just finished his second year of NFL football. How many of us after two years at our new job were great? No, we all start at point 'A' and we hopefully get to point 'Z,' but the one common denominator is it takes time. Everybody has to understand that. We believe in Daniel and that's where it is."

I actually thought the same thing. 

He's our guy! and that's that.  I really respect that. 

That said, he drafted Jones. JD did not draft Sam. So I also understand the other side of it at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That said, he drafted Jones. JD did not draft Sam. So I also understand the other side of it at the moment. 

JD has stood up for Sam too.  At one time he called him the only untraceable player on the Jets 

Its just changed.

Like you said, JD didnt draft Sam.  His ass isnt on the line for drafting Sam like Gettleman's is over Jones.  Gettleman better stand up for a QB he used a top 10 pick on 2 years ago

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

Bruh..

In what world does someone punch someone else out and then fire them? It could happen, don’t get me wrong but  it’s a 99.9% chance it’s the opposite, Marc likely whipped that a** and was quickly jettisoned after 

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I just heard on espn about how well Bill worked and openly supported relationship with Jimmy G. I don’t see why not be supportive publicly. Takes a strong person to lead men that play professionally. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

Look at what Jones did with Barkley and without Barkley. Nice as a QB to have a player defenses have to game plan for.

OK let's look at Jones with and without his weapponn.

Jones
2019 - 13 games - 12 Int - 18 fum - Rating 88
2020 - 14 games - 10 Int - 11 fum - Rating 80

Same turnover machinery. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

OK let's look at Jones with and without his weapponn.

Jones
2019 - 13 games - 12 Int - 18 fum - Rating 88
2020 - 14 games - 10 Int - 11 fum - Rating 80

Same turnover machinery. 

Jones sucks. In 2019 he had 25 td passes. Without Barkley, in 2020, he had 11. I was pointing out, what a running game with a quality back can do for a young QB. At least Jones was supported to some extent. 

Sucky QB with better weaponz equals less sucky QB.  Same with Sam... his ceiling is less sucky.

Jones and Sam are similar turnover machines.  Gaze improved Sam's turnover rate last year by going conservative... Gore up the middle.

Sammy
2018 - 13 games - 15 Int -   5 fum - Rating 78
2019 - 13 games - 13 Int - 11 fum - Rating 84
2020 - 12 games - 11 Int -   4 fum - Rating 73