KC Cuts

This is a good off season to have a lot of cap room. There's really no excuse for this team to be substantially better in 2021. We have a lot of draft capital and a lot of money that we can spend in FA. Obviously you want to spend the money wisely but if JD approaches this Free Agency the way he approached last years, it'll be very disappointing. 

• Upvote 2

AGREED !!!!! (All Caps)

This is a good off season to have a lot of cap room. There's really no excuse for this team to be substantially better in 2021. We have a lot of draft capital and a lot of money that we can spend in FA. Obviously you want to spend the money wisely but if JD approaches this Free Agency the way he approached last years, it'll be very disappointing. 

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Eric Fisher tore his achilles in the AFC Championship game.  He's like 320 and 6'7.  How long is going to take for him to get back on the field?  They wouldn't cut him if they thought they could count on him for next year.

March 1, 2021

K.C. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach says left tackle Eric Fisher is expected back by mid-August.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

agreed, pushes even further the idea that this offseason will show us what JD really is

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

March 1, 2021

K.C. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach says left tackle Eric Fisher is expected back by mid-August.

Veach just cut him and he's got a half a billion dollar investment to protect.  I just think this is a really tough recovery and he's not going to be able to work out like he would in a normal offseason.

KC's top 7 players account for about $130M against the cap.  That's really top-loaded.  And there isn't an easy out for them that I can see other than maybe trading Mathieu who is in the last year of his contract and would save them $14.8M.  It wouldn't shock me to see that happen.  I'm assuming Hill, Kelce, Clark and Jones are untouchable.  If not, then their window is closing faster than I had imagined.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s ridiculous especially after we just saw how they did without those 2 guys in the Super Bowl. Fisher is still only 30 and elite. I would love to give him a contract and put him on the right side of the line. Douglas is in an enviable position with all this cap room 

Tough one. Fisher tore his achilles in the AFC title game and is 30. I'd pass.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

KC's top 7 players account for about $130M against the cap.  That's really top-loaded.  And there isn't an easy out for them that I can see other than maybe trading Mathieu who is in the last year of his contract and would save them $14.8M.  It wouldn't shock me to see that happen.  I'm assuming Hill, Kelce, Clark and Jones are untouchable.  If not, then their window is closing faster than I had imagined.

The league has to fix the salary cap to a degree. Maybe when you resign homegrown players, have it only count 50% toward the cap. It’s ludicrous that these teams who find franchise quarterbacks and build great teams around them immediately have to dismantle them within a few years to fit under the cap. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

There isn't going to be a big trade market for players with large cap hits.  There are only a few teams that aren't up against the cap.  But after these new TV contracts are signed, the cap is going to go up real fast.  It had already gone up about $10M/year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it shoot up $25M next year.

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

The league has to fix the salary cap to a degree. Maybe when you resign homegrown players, have it only count 50% toward the cap. It’s ludicrous that these teams who find franchise quarterbacks and build great teams around them immediately have to dismantle them within a few years to fit under the cap. 

This solution doesn't make any sense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Fischer is only 30 (and still one of the better Tackles). He'll eventually get paid.

Wonder how KC addresses their Tackle issue. They're still over the cap.

So I expect their #31 pick has to be used on an OT.  Here's an idea.  Maybe a guy drops to #23 that they really want... 

Otherwise they will have to scour the FA wire and pick up cheap guys and hope for the best. They might get an older guy who is willing to play below his value to chase a ring.  Maybe Beachum or Okung? or if they get lucky, someone like Daryl Williams who is younger and still really good.

Sadly, we may see more of what we saw in the Super Bowl.  Good for the AFC.  But it was a fun team to watch.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Chiefs just cut LT Jeff Fisher and RT Mitchell Schwartz

Wow

2 more guys who were on my list of possible/likely cuts!

On 2/17/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

A more comprehensive, ranked list of potential cap casualties, just from the teams in the most cap hell and using overthecap.com and football reference's AV as a guide.  Some of these are far more likely to shake loose than others, and several will have to be designated post-June 1 cuts or traded for them to happen:

1. RT Ryan Ramczyk (Saints)
  2. DT Cameron Heyward (Steelers)
  3. LT Eric Fisher (Chiefs)
  4. WR Davante Adams (Packers)
  5. LT Riley Reiff (Vikings)
  6. RT Mitchell Schwartz (Chiefs)
  7. CB Marshon Lattimore (Saints)
  8. CB Tyrann Mathieu (Chiefs)
  9. CB Kyle Fuller (Bears)
  10. LT Charles Leno (Bears)
  11. FS Harrison Smith (Vikings)
  12. FS Kevin Byard (Titans)
  13. DE Brandon Graham (Eagles)
  14. RT Rob Havenstein (Rams)
  15. CB Jordan Poyer (Bills)
  16. C Ben Jones (Titans)
  17. DE Jerry Hughes (Bills)
  18. DT Akiem Hicks (Bears)
  19. DT Michael Brockers (Rams)
  20. WR Robert Woods (Rams)
  21. TE Zach Ertz (Eagles)
  22. LB Kwon Alexander (Saints)
  23. CB Janoris Jenkins (Saints)
  24. OLB Anthony Barr (Vikings)
  25. G Cody Whitehair (Bears)
  26. DT David Onyemata (Saints)
  27. G Gabe Jackson (Raiders)
  28. WR John Brown (Bills)
  29. CB Micah Hyde (Biills)
  30. CB Malcolm Butler (Titans)
  31. OT Trent Brown (Raiders)
  32. CB Lamarcus Joyner (Raiders)
  33. RT Bobby Massie (Bears)
  34. ILB A.J. Klein (Bills)
  35. FS Kenny Vaccaro (Titans)
  36. TE Jimmy Graham (Bears)
  37. TE Kyle Rudolph (Vikings)
  38. OT/G Ricky Wagner (Packers)
  39. DT Malcom Brown (Saints)
  40. G James Carpenter (Falcons)
  41. WR Tyrell Williams (Raiders)
  42. OLB Christian Kirksey (Packers)
  43. RB Latavius Murray (Saints)
  44. DE Derek Barnett (Eagles)
  45. WR Adam Humphries (Titans)
  46. TE Eric Ebron (Steelers)
  47. QB Marcus Mariota (Raiders)
  48. CB Adoree' Jackson (Titans)
  49. G Richie Incognito (Raiders)
  50. CB Ricardo Allen (Falcons)
  51. G Isaac Seumalo (Eagles)
  52. WR DeSean Jackson (Eagles)
  53. DT A'Shawn Robinson (Rams)
  54. DT Quinton Jefferson (Bills)
  55. DT Vernon Butler (Bills)
  56. DB Buster Skrine (Bears)
  57. TE Vance McDonald (Steelers)
  58. WR Marquise Goodwin (Eagles)
  59. S Jeff Heath (Raiders)
  60. RB Jalen Richard (Raiders)
  61. WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling (Packers)
  62. DL Allen Bailey (Falcons)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

There isn't going to be a big trade market for players with large cap hits.  There are only a few teams that aren't up against the cap.  But after these new TV contracts are signed, the cap is going to go up real fast.  It had already gone up about $10M/year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it shoot up $25M next year.

Yes.  and a lot of players may be willing to play on one-year deals this year rather than sign long term.  It gives the Jets, Jags, Pats and Colts a short window to sign some good players longer term because we're the only teams able to do it.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Veach just cut him and he's got a half a billion dollar investment to protect.  I just think this is a really tough recovery and he's not going to be able to work out like he would in a normal offseason.

I think its more a matter of shaving money off of their cap. 

The 2020 version of Mahomes only counted a little over 5 Million in the first year of his new contract.

2021 Mahomes cap number rises to 24M. By 2023 his cap number is at 42.4M

The window is starting to close already for Kansas City to continue to dominate.

Even with a superstar at QB and the cap continuing upwards next year, they have to hit consistently in the draft to stay on top.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  and a lot of players may be willing to play on one-year deals this year rather than sign long term.  It gives the Jets, Jags, Pats and Colts a short window to sign some good players longer term because we're the only teams able to do it.

They are so close.....would be maybe the most desirable place for the big ticket guys.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s ridiculous especially after we just saw how they did without those 2 guys in the Super Bowl. Fisher is still only 30 and elite. I would love to give him a contract and put him on the right side of the line. Douglas is in an enviable position with all this cap room 

Fisher is not elite wtf, for a number one overall pick he's a bust. Schwartz o the other hand, JD better have the bag ready

21 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

The 2020 version of Mahomes only counted a little over 5 Million in the first year of his new contract.

2021 Mahomes cap number rises to 24M. By 2023 his cap number is at 42.4M

The window is starting to close already for Kansas City to continue to dominate.

Even with a superstar at QB and the cap continuing upwards next year, they have to hit consistently in the draft to stay on top.

And as the cap climbs up to $300+ mil in the next 5 years, the deal looks awfully different