KC Cuts

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s ridiculous especially after we just saw how they did without those 2 guys in the Super Bowl. Fisher is still only 30 and elite. I would love to give him a contract and put him on the right side of the line. Douglas is in an enviable position with all this cap room 

Fisher popped his achilles.

How much can he even play next year?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The league has to fix the salary cap to a degree. Maybe when you resign homegrown players, have it only count 50% toward the cap. It’s ludicrous that these teams who find franchise quarterbacks and build great teams around them immediately have to dismantle them within a few years to fit under the cap. 

I agree, but you also have to take into account how crazy the salaries have become for NFL players. The middle class fan is already being cut out from attending professional sporting events. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I'm hoping behind the scenes that JD predicted last year that the cap would be much lower in 2021 and knew not to spend their money on big contracts.   Two steps ahead!

There's no doubt about this. 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/08/joe-douglas-explains-jets-lack-of-spending/

The Jets enter the season with $31 million in salary-cap space, according to Over The Cap. Only the Browns and Patriots have more.

Fans may wonder, why not spend that money to improve the 2020 team? But general manager Joe Douglas said the Jets have a long-term plan and they want to maintain flexibility for next year and beyond. Any cap space not used this year rolls over into next year and 2021 has a lot of uncertainty around it because of the financial repercussions of COVID-19 and the lack of fans in the stands.

“We see it as a dollar you spend today could be a dollar you don’t have for next year’s cap,” Douglas said. “We’re sitting here and we have a lot of uncertainly in terms of next year’s cap number. We know what the floor is at 175 [million dollars]. We know that that could change. We don’t know when we’ll have the answers for that. We have to have a game plan on how we’re going to handle both this year and next year and the years moving forward.”

Douglas made one thing clear: The lack of spending is not because of any directive from ownership.

“I’m not bound to any restrictions when it comes to ownership,” Douglas said. “There’s been reports out there. I have full autonomy when it comes to roster decisions. I work hand-in-hand with Dave Socie from football administration on salary cap. Basically, we have a vision, we have a game plan of what we’re trying to accomplish. We want to have the right flexibility when the right player presents itself, the right opportunity, we are going to be aggressive. I’m sure it may seem like we’re not doing that right now but we do have a vision.”

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I agree, but you also have to take into account how crazy the salaries have become for NFL players. The middle class fan is already being cut out from attending professional sporting events. 

I get it, but the NFL is a money printing machine and the players are more than entitled to getting their cut. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

Eric Fisher tore his achilles in the AFC Championship game.  He's like 320 and 6'7.  How long is going to take for him to get back on the field?  They wouldn't cut him if they thought they could count on him for next year.

I want no part of an OL coming off a torn Achilles.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s ridiculous especially after we just saw how they did without those 2 guys in the Super Bowl. Fisher is still only 30 and elite. I would love to give him a contract and put him on the right side of the line. Douglas is in an enviable position with all this cap room 

Schwartz just had back surgery after missing 10 games and the super bowl.  He may be retiring

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And as the cap climbs up to $300+ mil in the next 5 years, the deal looks awfully different

I guess the Hunt family like Jerry are gambling on that new TV contract ...it was a much slower jump over the last fifteen years

NFLSalaryCap.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I guess the Hunt family like Jerry are gambling on that new TV contract ...it was a much slower jump over the last fifteen years

NFLSalaryCap.jpg

The new TV deal is predicted to blow these numbers out.  

For all the doom and gloom predictions by a handful, football is good business and still is like printing money

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

KC's top 7 players account for about $130M against the cap.  That's really top-loaded.  And there isn't an easy out for them that I can see other than maybe trading Mathieu who is in the last year of his contract and would save them $14.8M.  It wouldn't shock me to see that happen.  I'm assuming Hill, Kelce, Clark and Jones are untouchable.  If not, then their window is closing faster than I had imagined.

And that’s with Hill being extremely underpaid because he’s a scumbag off the field..

With Mahomes they’ll always be in the hunt and dangerous but a hard cap basically makes it to where your window is only a few years because eventually the cap will ravage your team..

Patriots were the exception because Brady took less money every year.

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

The league has to fix the salary cap to a degree. Maybe when you resign homegrown players, have it only count 50% toward the cap. It’s ludicrous that these teams who find franchise quarterbacks and build great teams around them immediately have to dismantle them within a few years to fit under the cap. 

Uh, that is WHY THERE IS A CAP. It is to keep teams from building a dynasty because they can afford to spend more. And look how well it has worked. Take away Brady and the Cheats, and how many super bowl repeats have you seen since the salary cap came into existence? Giving a team like KC an out to keep all the high cost players gives them an unfair advantage.

They won a super bowl and had a chance at two in a row. Too bad if they have to cut some players now.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chad2coles said:

There isn't going to be a big trade market for players with large cap hits.  There are only a few teams that aren't up against the cap.  But after these new TV contracts are signed, the cap is going to go up real fast.  It had already gone up about $10M/year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it shoot up $25M next year.

$25M??? According to reports I've heard the TV revenue could double under the new contracts. That means the cap could theoretically double, or close to it.

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

I'm hoping behind the scenes that JD predicted last year that the cap would be much lower in 2021 and knew not to spend their money on big contracts.   Two steps ahead!

I don't think it had anything to do with JD expecting the cap to drop. I think JD knew he had to clean up the cap mess MacMoron left him. He demanded a 6 year contract for a reason. A year or two to clean up the mess, two to three years to build a contender, and then a new long-term contract in year 6 when the Jets are perennial contenders. I'm guessing that was more likely his plan.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, viffer said:

$25M??? According to reports I've heard the TV revenue could double under the new contracts. That means the cap could theoretically double, or close to it.

They spread the covid related losses over this season and the next 2, which they needed to do.  So that will suppress how high the cap can go next year.  Also, most of the TV deals run through next season.  But new TV deals, 17 game season, potentially having fans in the stands again, the cap is going to really spike.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

QBs demand 100 million bucks and take up huge cap for a team.

A year or two later QBs and media blast teams for not retaining talent.

QBs demand to be GMs

Qb demand to be traded

NFL is becoming the nauseatingly awful NBA very quickly.

This is probably why you see teams starting to say things like "Maybe a big time QB isn't the answer, but a system guy"

Trying to take some of that NBA star shine off the QB's start acting like GMs all over the place. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

This is probably why you see teams starting to say things like "Maybe a big time QB isn't the answer, but a system guy"

Trying to take some of that NBA star shine off the QB's start acting like GMs all over the place. 

What team is saying this?  Ryan Tannehill is a system QB and he got a huge contract.  Every starting QB that signs a new deal is getting paid big money. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is a bold strategy after watching what happened in the Super Bowl without them. 

Educated guess: Fisher ends up in Indianapolis. They have a need and there's a lot of connective tissue between the organizations

haha, i think the issue is the connective tissue between fisher's foot and his leg.

5 hours ago, chad2coles said:

Eric Fisher tore his achilles in the AFC Championship game.  He's like 320 and 6'7.  How long is going to take for him to get back on the field?  They wouldn't cut him if they thought they could count on him for next year.

This is the point.  His injury is serious, and Schwartz will probably retire.  THAT said....Man, I would bet KC would LOVE to move up in the draft and get Sewell.

2 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Yeah I don’t see any team taking that stance.. That’s why you see teams like the Niners trying to upgrade at Qb because of how hard it is to win it all with an average or mediocre QB..

Watson isn’t leaving simply  because he couldn’t be gm or make decisions he’s leaving because they lied to him and have handed the keys of the franchise over to   a pastor/ swindler who’s running it into the ground.

• Sympathy 1