***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He’s a player that should probably still be on the team. Our secondary stinks at tackling. 

If you're gonna be ridiculous, be ridiculous.  They were pretty good last year.  Last week even.  

Also, do you know much about Jason Pinnock? His tackling grade was middling, ranking 41st at 67.8. 

Additionally, Pinnock’s tackling grades in college were quite poor, as he had a 17.4% miss rate in his final two seasons. Though he had no missed tackles in 2021, he missed six in 2022 at a 13.3% rate, which ranked 55th among safeties. He seems to be shaky as a tackler.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/8/16/23828201/jason-pinnock-giants-starting-safety-xavier-mckinney

Keep waving that flag. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you're gonna be ridiculous, be ridiculous.  They were pretty good last year.  Last week even.  

Also, do you know much about Jason Pinnock? His tackling grade was middling, ranking 41st at 67.8. 

Keep waving that flag. 

This is a petty thing to go on about. The Jets secondary stunk yesterday and got smoked in the open field. 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is a petty thing to go on about. The Jets secondary stunk yesterday and got smoked in the open field. 

True and true.  Still, don't let's act like Jason Pinnock a generally regarded as a questionable tackler who is bad in coverage would have righted those wrongs.  They tried to stash him and missed.  It happens.  

22 hours ago, Maxman said:

Firing Joe Douglas would be.

i like JD, i have been defending him for a long time now but not having a decent backup to Rodgers and having the worst QB in the NFL for 2 years straight be a injury from our starter is a fireable offense.

he just cant let go of this kid. and it is going to sink this seson.

nobody is trading anyone to help us unless we give up our #1 next year. whatever FA dont have a team might be better than Zach but wont be good enough to make the playoffs.

the fans are sick of Zach, the players are getting sick of Zach. everybody but JD is sick of him. this is getting exhausting

• Upvote 2

Just now, doitny said:

i like JD, i have been defending him for a long time now but not having a decent backup to Rodgers and having the worst QB in the NFL for 2 years straight be a injury from our starter is a fireable offense.

he just cant let go of this kid. and it is going to sink this seson.

nobody is trading anyone to help us unless we give up our #1 next year. whatever FA dont have a team might be better than Zach but wont be good enough to make the playoffs.

the fans are sick of Zach, the players are getting sick of Zach. everybody but JD is sick of him. this is getting exhausting

I am a huge Joe D fan.  But we are in the midst of another 6 win season.  How can u argue w/ anyone that thinks he should be fired?  You really cant.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

John idzik 12-20    .375% 

Mike maccagnan: 24-40     .375%

joe Douglas 21-47    .308%

somehow joe d has managed to post a record worse than idzik or maccagnan.  He has had plenty of time to turn this team around. It’s time for results

well to be fair he has brought in more talent then both of them combined.

he was on his way to great thing this year until his backup plan was the worst in NFL history. 

7 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

John idzik 12-20    .375% 

Mike maccagnan: 24-40     .375%

joe Douglas 21-47    .308%

somehow joe d has managed to post a record worse than idzik or maccagnan.  He has had plenty of time to turn this team around. It’s time for results

I dont like it.  I dont want to admit it.  But you just cant ignore it.  These are abysmal results.  When you are in a statistic and are below idzik and mccagnan.  My goodness.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I think a lot of this had to do with scheme and play calling. McCarthy absolutely schooled Ulbrich with the crossing routes on zone coverage 

6 minutes ago, TBJ said:

This is just awful and you know he's going to ger another pass.

Correct.  We will have a coach in gm with 3 plus years with a .300 winning % returning.  I will go out on a limb and say that has never happened in nfl history.

No coach or GM would survive 3 full seasons with a winning % in the ,300s, let alone both returning.. 

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

well to be fair he has brought in more talent then both of them combined.

he was on his way to great thing this year until his backup plan was the worst in NFL history. 

After they signed rodgers they should have turned the page on the Zach Wilson era and signed a real backup. That’s 100% on JD. Not doing that could very well be his downfall. 

FTR I agree that he has brought in more talent to this team than macc or idzik. I actually liked jd. He did some great things(Sauce, Breece, gwill, Huff) but he also had some all time blunders.

The results just aren’t there. And continuing to trott ZW out there is beyond egregious. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

After they signed rodgers they should have turned the page on the Zach Wilson era and signed a real backup. That’s 100% on JD. Not doing that could very well be his downfall. 

FTR I agree that he has brought in more talent to this team than macc or idzik. I actually liked jd. He did some great things(Sauce, Breece, gwill, Huff) but he also had some all time blunders.

The results just aren’t there. And continuing to trott ZW out there is beyond egregious. 

thats the whole thing right there. ZW. its bad enough to bust on the 2OA pick but its worst that he cant let go of this kid.

• Upvote 2

Douglas is unlikely to be at risk of unemployment no matter how the season goes. He built a roster significantly better (but not without its problems) than when he showed up. He's brought more credibility to the team than it's had in the decade prior to his signing. He brought in a HOF QB that obviously came with approval and excitement from Woody. He can't be blamed for a freak accident at the top of the season. He very likely has a lot of leash. He's probably here through Rodgers and gets to pick the next QB. 

Saleh might be in a tighter spot. Kicking him out is a scapegoat for Douglas; however, Saleh is likely safe this year too due to the injury and Rodgers seems to like him. Also, the team is kinda stuck with Hackett due to Rodgers but neither coordinator is head coach material. Unlikely a new head coach would want to take over a team where he has no choice but to keep the OC. If Rodgers fails to bring the team to the playoffs, the coaching staff is probably gone the second Rodgers is out--especially if Douglas wants to take a high draft pick at QB. Saleh has already proven himself as incapable of developing a young QB as several predecessors.

JD it seems is a better self-marketing guy than he is an NFL GM.  I just find it interesting to see the number of those even now starting to accept that he has never actually been what he was prematurely credited to be, admitting to be still be afraid to fully criticize his failures.  This is after all the same guy who owns one of the worst draft classes in team history and an all-time NFL bust.

I guess this is comparable to those who defended the original 2019 retention of Maccagnan, with much of the hate for him only coming quite retroactively, after he was fired, so it's not entirely unprecedented.  This time however, JD and Saleh need to absolutely live and die with one another, without any exception.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Free agency is before the draft.  JD had virtually no ability to influence the roster in 2019.  The free agency shelves were picked clean.  

Given that 2019 was his best season so far, maybe it's best when JD can't influence the roster. 

Douglas was hired in the spring of 2019, right? If his six year deal is literally six years, it expires spring 2025. I doubt they make the mistake of firing him after the draft and free agency like they did Maccagnan if they let him go.

So this offseason becomes a fire, extend, prove it year kind of scenario. Prove it year seems the most likely to me. The team would probably need to make the playoffs to warrant an extension. Not sure what the bar for firing is but it should be on the table.

6 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

This team didn’t do Zach any favors. After promising a “reset” period last year when he was benched, they trotted him out there early due to injury. This off-season they had no excuse not to treat him as a developmental 3rd QB because of the cap hit and because he needed it.

There was ZERO excuse to not signing a backup even as an insurance policy if they couldn’t get Carr/Rodgers etc. It is gross negligence and they are ruining Zach as much as he ruins himself. They promised him a reset period. How the hell does that happen when you are thrown to the wolves and don’t have time to reset in practice? What a joke. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers wont return w/o Douglas and Saleh.  So they are 100% returning.

Their goals aren’t aligned with the team’s/fan’s goals. They see the writing on the wall and just want to milk the AR excuse and get one final year out of this team and they know they are gone. It’s too late at this point for their futures to change and they will have a lame duck year hoping that AR can save them but fine if he doesn’t since they already maximized collecting money from Woody with terrible results.

They need to be on a leash next year because they caused so much damage to the future with picks and money already, the only reason why the roster is good. The construction of this roster was not sustainable considering how below average JD has drafted. Anyone can build a good roster if you tank, save cap money to blow and also acquire extra premium picks. It’s just not sustainable at all and not impressive. JD is garbage. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Their goals aren’t aligned with the team’s/fan’s goals. They see the writing on the wall and just want to milk the AR excuse and get one final year out of this team and they know they are gone. It’s too late at this point for their futures to change and they will have a lame duck year hoping that AR can save them but fine if he doesn’t since they already maximized collecting money from Woody with terrible results.

They need to be on a leash next year because they caused so much damage to the future with picks and money already, the only reason why the roster is good. The construction of this roster was not sustainable considering how below average JD has drafted. Anyone can build a good roster if you tank, save cap money to blow and also acquire extra premium picks. It’s just not sustainable at all and not impressive. JD is garbage. 

Barring 6-11 or worse you are right they prob get 2024 due to AR. Neither are getting extended tho. Which is a low key sign of pending failure 

• Upvote 1