Zach Wilson Pro Day

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Where did wilson elevate them to? The Idaho potato bowl? 

I mean Josh Allen never elevated his college team so you wouldn’t have drafted him? John Elway never finished over 500 in college 

But since Dwayne Haskins won all those games at OSU surrounded by insane talent that means something to you?

Or all those Ohio State Qbs who never amount to anything in the NFL because they put up inflated stats in college on offenses with 10 other pros on them.

Where they go to school means nothing it’s about the traits 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

9B34CEB4-5ED5-46F6-8FA5-14EAC3EC3F2F.jpeg

I’ve been PREACHING this!! Competition doesn’t really matter. How do you play QB? How do you see the field? What are your habits as a passer? They can get you up to speed much more successfully if you’re a prospect with relatively good QB habits against lesser comp rather than a bigger conference QB who may be INT prone or may be mechanically flawed to the point it’s detrimental to passes.(cough, cough) 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, choon328 said:

You're so worried about Wilson's durability yet are willing to go with Darnold who has missed 10 games in 3 years. Basically a 1/4 of each season he's played he's missed. 

Did you read the post?  It's not about ZW or Sam. I rather the multitude of picks and the blue chipper on offense than take the risk on a QB at #2.  Sam does not cost the #2 pick.  

2 minutes ago, Reprisalizer said:

Did you read the post?  It's not about ZW or Sam. I rather the multitude of picks and the blue chipper on offense than take the risk on a QB at #2.  Sam does not cost the #2 pick.  

Sam darnold will cost us much more than the #2 pick if we have to trade up next year for a qb

Listen, if the Jets pick Wilson, I hope all of you are right. I'll root for him because I'm more interested in watching the Jets win than validating my weekend warrior scouting analysis. But I really believe that more likely than not it will mark the beginning of the end of the Joe Douglas era (hopefully I'm wrong). 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Reprisalizer said:

I can see the argument for trading the pick.  I can not see the argument for keeping Darnold. Get a veteran QB who you can rely on to start more than 75% of the games next year. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I can see the argument for trading the pick.  I can not see the argument for keeping Darnold. Get a veteran QB who you can rely on to start more than 75% of the games next year. 

No way who Alex Smith?  If we keep Darnold we need a viable backup that could be the heir apparent new starting QB Mullens,Minshew,Beathard. 

No more JAG's like Luke Falk or Rick Mirer. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He didn’t have torn labrums in both shoulders by age 21

Funny thing is that torn labrums are actually really common in the NFL. Lawrence has one now. The thing is that for the most part QBs play through them fine and then just get a procedure in the offseason. And Wilson's was not an injury from contact which is usually accompanied by a dislocated shoulder. They still need to look at it but most doctors I have speak of it say it is a non issue

4 minutes ago, Reprisalizer said:

Sam. Build the roster up using the picks we have now.  

Worry about QB later. ZW is not a good enough prospect to be the #2 overall.  He is def. a 1st rounder - probably a 10-15 pick ideally. But that is not the case this year.  He will cost the #2 overall.  The opportunity cost is too great to a franchise devoid of talent.  

Trade down, get a blue chipper on offense (Chase, Pitts, Waddle, Sewell) & have at least an extra 1st and 2nd rounder in addition.

I get it, I dont know that Sam is going to right the ship either. Its not about Sam or ZW - its about the opportunity cost and risk associated with spending the #2 overall on a 60/40 prospect.  For me. 

Your talent evaluation aside...Obviously I disagree with that and believe he has #1 overall talent.  But instead of arguing about that, we're not changing each others minds...

Just asking about the QB situation....Just follow it through to its logical conclusion...one of two things will have to happen...

1) Sam has a great year and he's a keeper and you believe he's a perennial top 10 QB - you pay him, sign him to a big extension and all is good..  I have a hard timing buying into that.  

2) You need to move on from Sam - so now what? You're not picking at 2.  You're either going to have to take a lesser prospect (like ZW or not - whoever the best prospects are next year will be going at the top of the draft.) so the prospect's talent will almost certainly be below ZW's (from a prospect grading perspective) OR you have to trade up to get the guy you want...likely costing everything you gained from trading out of two.

Bottom line, either Sam sucks or you passed on Zach and ended up with a lesser prospect for no real additional gain.

When all's said and done though - I don't have faith in Sam to become a legitimate FQB here, I like ZW a lot and believe he has super star potential, and don't believe, if we trade out, that we will end up with a better QB prospect next.  And, for me, QB is pretty much the only thing that matters....

All those picks mean nothing if you don't have a FQB.  You just don't pass on one when you there's one to take.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Fine, who? 

Same question you asked me.  It really doesnt matter.  We dont have a sure thing at QB and Ill take the chance the Darnold turns it around with a different staff/more talent than pay Fitzpatrick(?) to wing it around for a season and then leave.  

Darnold holds an outside chance of value - even if he is mediocre, if he signed to another team next year that will work for us in compensatory picks.  

Modern NFL - QB market every year gets more and more interesting. Who knows what vet next year will be demanding a trade (& then be accused by 20+ people of sexual misconduct). Build a good team in the trenches and QBs will want to come to the NYJ.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

And the pro day will not determine how Wilson plays when under pressure. His one good year was against high school level talent throwing to wide open receivers while under zero pressure.

This is not to say that he can't rise up and be a FQB in the NFL but it sure would be nice to have game film of him playing against top level competition before we use (waste) both the #2 OA pick and lose Sam.

Devil's advocate: Don't Fields, Lawrence and Jones throw to wide open receivers all day as well?

Ultimately he's going to put on a show today throwing the ball. It'll be impressive. It'll be largely irrelevant. Everything they need to know about how he throws is already on tape and studied ad nauseum. The big takeaways will be his measurables, his medical and how he interviews. If he checks all those boxes, it's sounding more and more like he'll be the guy.