Panthers Disaster?

45 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Here’s one for ya: trade down, get picks and build team, and then trade for Watson if Darnold flops with a proper supporting cast. 

If you noticed in the 49ers trade the only pick the Dolphins got in this draft was the 12th overall. The rest were future picks. So what you're essentially saying is trade for future picks then trade them all away the next year while wasting a season on a failed QB? While also trading away the Jets own 1st rd pick in 2022 next year as well to acquire Watson or move up. How is that building a team if you're actually not gaining any premium players this year and losing a 1st round pick next year? Quick answer... it's not. All its doing is allowing Darnold another year which is all you guys really want. 

16 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If you noticed in the 49ers trade the only pick the Dolphins got in this draft was the 12th overall. The rest were future picks. So what you're essentially saying is trade for future picks then trade them all away the next year while wasting a season on a failed QB? While also trading away the Jets own 1st rd pick in 2022 next year as well to acquire Watson or move up. How is that building a team if you're actually not gaining any premium players this year and losing a 1st round pick next year? Quick answer... it's not. All its doing is allowing Darnold another year which is all you guys really want. 

You are turning ONE pick this year into a number of picks both this year and next.

The Jets are in a situation in which they can stick with Darnold for a year if they are unsure if he is a bust or not, they do not have to pay or commit to him until next year.

If the Jets love a QB in this draft they will take one no ifs ands of buts.  If they don;t love a QB in this draft it makes total sense to trade down.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nope.  Why wouldn’t we ask for additional picks this year? 

Instead of QB at #2, we get a skill player or OL at #8. 

Instead of packaging Sam + 23 + 86 to move back and get a skill player at 8/9 (after drafting a QB at #2), we would use 

23 + CAR/DEN 2nd + 86 + CAR/DEN 3rd to build out roster. 

If Sam flops, we have three 1st round picks in 2022, and are now a desirable FA landing spot for other QBs. 

Are you really this short-sighted, Zach or Bust, or can you really not fathom other possibilities? You’re trolling me right? 

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

T

The Jets would have traded down to 6 with Philly, who love Zach Wilson if they were looking for a trade down.

To me this is the bigger point. Roseman and Douglas are really close. JD is not out to screw him or the 49ers. It was reported that Philly wanted to trade up to 3 but only for Wilson. There is no question in my mind that something like this happened:

Roseman to JD: We have been talking to teams to move up to get Wilson. If we trade to 3 will Wilson be there, or would you consider trading down to 6?

JD: Not sure we like his tape but we are going through the process  We will know more after the pro days

Jets attend Pro Day, see Wilson interacting with other people, then his measurables come back better than expected

JD to Howie:  I wouldn't count on Wilson being there at 3

Philly trades down.

I think we all think that GMs are completely closed books about the draft to other GMs but that is not true. Other GMs are a fantastic resource to validate your thoughts. Some of these guys are friends and even though they want to be successful I don't think they will screw over their friends in a completely different conference,

Now if NE had traded up and then Miami trade back up to Detroit I think that JD probably shares nothing about his intent. If those were the trades I think it would say nothing about the Jets intention.

But with the trades being SF and Philly, the 2 teams we are both connected to and with the trade conveniently happening shortly after the measurables, in addition to the fact that Lynch watched the draft with the Jets it is really hard to imagine that Philly and SF are not aware of exactly what the Jets are doing at 2. It is hard to keep secrets. I mean McCoffee knew for a complete fact that Gettleman was not budging on taking Barkley.

Usually by the draft you can right almost in ink several picks, and the "insiders" mocks become more accurate because the information gets. out.

JAX is taking Lawrence, and the Jets are picking 2. They do not need to be super coy about their intentions. 

I think if the Jets were willing to trade down they would have likely either taken the offer from the 49ers or taken a package from Philly and gone down to 6, which would almost guarantee the Jets the playmaker of their choice, or one of tackles. But they didn't.

I love Wilson, but objectively it really does not seem any other explanation is plausible.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

@football guy has told us repeatedly that the Jets don't
want to drop out of the top 10.  Therefore SF could've
called but the conversation was very short

Right but Roseman and JD are very close. You think he would have not floated the idea of trading #6 to the Jets. Just seems almost impossible that they did not have that conversation. My gut tells me that they did but JD was undecided until Wilson's measurables came out. The timing is hard to ignore really. Maybe we are in for a shock but I doubt it. Plus there really is nothing saying the Jets have to trade Sam. It would make sense but they could decide to keep him and draft Wilson anyway. Sort of a Brees/Rivers situation.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Nope.  Why wouldn’t we ask for additional picks this year? 

Instead of QB at #2, we get a skill player or OL at #8. 

Instead of packaging Sam + 23 + 86 to move back and get a skill player at 8/9 (after drafting a QB at #2), we would use 

23 + CAR/DEN 2nd + 86 + CAR/DEN 3rd to build out roster. 

If Sam flops, we have three 1st round picks in 2022, and are now a desirable FA landing spot for other QBs. 

Are you really this short-sighted, Zach or Bust, or can you really not fathom other possibilities? You’re trolling me right? 

The NFL is a precedent league. The future picks angle has been set. You can ask for any picks that you want but you're not getting a 2nd and 3rd this year while also getting multiple firsts. A 2nd this year is equal to a 1st next year.  A 3rd this year is equal to a 2nd next year. The 49ers gave up what equals up to 2 2nds and a 4th this year to move up from 12-3. Carolina or Denver also have a higher pick than SF, that matters. The only thing extra the Jets may get that the Dolphins didn't would be a 3rd or 4th this year on top of what the Dolphins got.

The Jets are in a more desperate situation for a long term QB then both Denver and Carolina yet you think they're willing to give up what you suggested to get Wilson? If they're willing to give up that much to get him then why would you think the Jets think less of Wilson then they do? If they would pay any price wouldn't it be reasonable to think the Jets value in him is similar and they would not trade out for any price? You guys are blinded by Darnold. 

And I've wanted Watson this whole offseason not Wilson but that dream is dead now. So,  yes,  now I want Wilson. I can not fathom how they could let a guy who is statistically the worst starting QB the last 2 years and misses 25% of the games each season lead this team onto the field next season. It will be another lost season and more arguments after the season from the Darnold brigade about how he should be franchised bc he threw 18 tds and 15 ints and led us to 7 wins. 

A desirable place for FA QB's? Go look below and point out the QB you want leading this team next year when Darnold fails. 

So after you realize there are no FA options the next step is getting a guy in the draft again. And if you don't want to trade the majority of the picks you just acquired then you're looking at a lesser prospect than the 1 you could've grabbed this year. That QB would most likely have to sit a year. Now you've wasted 2 years. 

None of the trade down argument makes sense unless Darnold plays really well next year. I guess that's a bet you're willing to take. I'm not. 

EDIT: Almost forgot. Nobody and I mean nobody is accepting a package of 23 or 34 and Darnold and giving us a top 10 pick in a top heavy draft. That would put a value on Darnold of a late 1st to mid 2nd. His value at its highest is a late 3rd.

Screenshot_20210328-141143_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are turning ONE pick this year into a number of picks both this year and next.

The Jets are in a situation in which they can stick with Darnold for a year if they are unsure if he is a bust or not, they do not have to pay or commit to him until next year.

If the Jets love a QB in this draft they will take one no ifs ands of buts.  If they don;t love a QB in this draft it makes total sense to trade down.

Did you watch the Pro Day? Even though they had masks on Saleh and JD had big goofy grins on their face after the workout. I suspect it was because of relief that Wilson measured well and excitement that Wilson showed in the workout the things we see on tape. And showed probably more arm strength than expected. I will admit my mind is addled from wanting this guy so much, but after someone reminded me on my take of Watson and Hackenburg. so I went back and reviewed everything as dispassionately as I could and I come to the same conclusion. Wilson is a fantastic prospect and everything points to him being the pick. Way too much cirmunstancial evidence of it.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Sorry, I still don't see the part about the #2 pick being Untouchable 

Maybe look a little closer. If Joe is willing to take Zach Wilson with the 2nd overall pick in the draft that necessarily means he believes he is a franchise QB. He is on record that a franchise QB is not available to trade no matter the offer. Its called putting two and two together.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Maybe look a little closer. If Joe is willing to take Zach Wilson with the 2nd overall pick in the draft that necessarily means he believes he is a franchise QB. He is on record that a franchise QB is not available to trade no matter the offer. Its called putting two and two together.

I think ypu are assuming  a lot here

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The real work begins now with Darnold.  How do you maximize his value?  Can you get Carolina or Denver to do something like take Sam Darnold and the #23 pick so the Jets can move up to #8 or #9?  THAT would be the power move that lets Joe Douglas do something like get both Zach Wilson and Rashawn Slater out of this Draft before coming back for a CB or WR at #34.

I was thinking maybe the Jets could do something like Darnold. Moseley 23 and maybe like a fourth or fifth next year and move to 8. Carolina is unlikely to get any of the top 5 QBs at 8 so that might be a good move for Carolina. After a sit out I am not sure how Moseley is viewed either by the Jets or Carolina, but the Jets would be overpaying for the pick but it would make sense. It could go something like this:

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Lance/Jones

4. Fields either by Atlanta or trade 

5. Sewell or Slater

6. Pitts/Smith/Waddle/Chase

7. Pitts/Smith/Waddle/Chase

8. Jets - 2 of those will be left as well as either Slater or Sewell

The other thing I think is that say Carolina wants to trade for a QB and they are not like Philly and only want Wilson, but are open to say Fields or Lance. Wouldn't targeting 4 at this point make way more sense for them? Going to our pick would require a Miami type haul. 8 is better than 12, but 2 is much more valuable than 3 especially as it seems Wilson is consensus #2 now in many minds. But to her from 8 to 4 would require maybe just next years 1 and maybe like a 3 and get back a 4th or fifth to be slightly over value. Carolina would pretty much be guaranteed either Fields or Lance. Plus unless Atlanta is dead set on replacing Ryan this year, the trade guarantees a QB at their spot so they are getting an elite playmaker at 8.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I’ll swap with the Panthers if, along with the 8th pick, they included 2 additional 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks.

The Miami trade to 12 was good but I’d need more to move from number 2.

It would definitely require more than that but that’s definitely a helluva start. 

Imagine if we decide to hold on to Sam and he turns out to excel in this offense.. + the amount of picks we would have from the Panthers and Seahawks. 

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, KRL said:

They're not out of the top 10 now. Wasn't the Philly move to get Wentz 2 teams? Just throw this out there....let's say they offer us #3 plus either Kittle or Bosa? We make that trade, our phone would be ring off the hook.

• Upvote 1

Would Atlanta trade with in-division Carolina? Maybe, I don't know. I think Atlanta try and shop the number 4 pick, hoping someone like the Patriots move up. If that doesn't work, they pick Pitts at 4. 

Carolina then trade with Miami and jump up to 6 for a reasonable cost, to pick whichever one of Lance/Fields SF don't pick at 3. 

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

The Jets were never going lower than 8. Thats been reported since the start so that rules out SF. 

The Eagles wanted to move down. He had to retweet to clear up what he had said earlier. 

The Whole talk of the last month from @football guy and common sense is that the Jets would weigh offers after Pro Day/Medicals. Most teams don't trade up for players until after they see them in person as well as SF traded up after the Lance Pro Day. 

Wilson just had his Pro Day. Fields is up soon. Perhaps we stay where we are if we don't get the right offer. But this whole trade down convo for the Jets is  just getting started and I think the Jets are going to get some very strong offers. 

Moving out of the top 10 is and always has been a hard no. I think the Jets would still be open to moving down, but what SF traded for #3 makes it highly unlikely that the Jets will move out of 2. You can't take less, and if anything you almost have to ask for more (assuming the deal would be with the Panthers). We're talking 3 first- and 2 second-round pick, and I don't see a team offering that up.

Personally, I've shifted towards the belief that there won't be a buyer willing to pay the price to move up to #2, which would mean they select Zach Wilson and trade Sam. This isn't the type of situation where the Jets will wait until draft day either, they will make a trade one way or another within the next few weeks.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Moving out of the top 10 is and always has been a hard no. I think the Jets would still be open to moving down, but what SF traded for #3 makes it highly unlikely that the Jets will move out of 2. You can't take less, and if anything you almost have to ask for more (assuming the deal would be with the Panthers). We're talking 3 first- and 2 second-round pick, and I don't see a team offering that up.

Personally, I've shifted towards the belief that there won't be a buyer willing to pay the price to move up to #2, which would mean they select Zach Wilson and trade Sam. This isn't the type of situation where the Jets will wait until draft day either, they will make a trade one way or another within the next few weeks.

Yep !! I think Sam will be traded around the April 9th timeline u gave 

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just can't see them trading #2 until either the Jags start negotiating with TL, and we're on the clock, or until after they officially take TL on draft night. 

5 hours ago, Shockwave said:

https://catcrave.com/2021/03/26/carolina-panthers-disaster-grade-49ers-move-3/

Simply a Fan Article but we are not talking about the Panthers enough. The trades that happened last week were actually extremely beneficial for the Jets. Why?

1. It gave a comp for a Jets trade to be made. It makes trade talks easier and will give us a better return if a trade happens. 

2. The trade absolutely screwed the Panthers who seem absolutely desperate for a QB. 

As of right now the draft looks to start with 

1. Lawrence. 

2. Wilson. 

3. Lance. 

4 Atlanta - Could take Fields. They are scouting QB's hard. But even if not there are not trading with Carolina who is in their division. 

5. Cincy - Sewell falls in their laps. Can't see them trading. 

6. Miami - Pitts/Chase falls in their laps. Can't see them trading. 

7. Detroit - Also could take Fields or could trade down with Denver/NE. 

8. Carolina - The GM didn't even go to Mac Jones Pro Day. This is QB or Bust for them and they're not getting a top 4 QB. 

The Board right now essentially is trading up with the Jets for the Panthers or things could get really ugly in Carolina. I know many people saw Wilson's Pro Day and think this whole conversation is done. That is not the case. The Jets trade down talks are just getting started and with the SF trade our offers should be a-lot better than we anticipated. There should be alot of smoke between the Jets/Panthers the next 2 weeks. 

It should also be noted that this isn't the Niners who will be drafting 20 or later yearly. Carolina could be sending our way top ten picks in 2022 and 2023. If a trade happens the Jets will be absolutely loaded in the next few years. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Here's how I would characterize Schefter's tweet in terms of what he's saying and not saying.  He didn't say there was no contact between the 49ers and Jets, he just said there were no trade talks.  It could be as simple as the 49ers calling and asking if the Jets would like to hear offers for the #2 pick, and JD saying, "It's not available.  We're locked in.  Save your time."  The call lasted all of 2 minutes.

Now, the real question would be this - If Carolina calls do the Jets listen?  If some other worldly offer is made like, for speculation's sake, the #8, #39, 1st and 2nd in '22, 1st and 2nd in '23, and Christian McCaffrey (Lolz!) does Joe hang up?  Does Joe accept the offer and have to deal with the 49ers (where there's a relationship with Saleh, Lynch, etc.) who say, "Hey Joe, we would have made an even better offer of 1sts for the next 4 years, Bosa, etc."?

I think the Jets are locked in to #2.  They've basically said they're not discussing it IMO.

The real work begins now with Darnold.  How do you maximize his value?  Can you get Carolina or Denver to do something like take Sam Darnold and the #23 pick so the Jets can move up to #8 or #9?  THAT would be the power move that lets Joe Douglas do something like get both Zach Wilson and Rashawn Slater out of this Draft before coming back for a CB or WR at #34.

All seriousness, it would be hard as s*** to not take CAR 1st, 2nd '21, 1st, 2nd '22, 1st 2nd 23, and Mcaffrey!  I don't believe Joe turns that down even if he has strong convictions on Wilson.  You are literally hedging that there will be no one coming out that would be light years as good as Wilson and that's tough to do.  That trade is beyond Herschel Walker levels and would transform the team.  Even if Wilson takes CAR to the Super Bowl and playoffs for the next 3 years your still talking about massive draft capital and arguably the best RB in the game. I take that deal and don't look back.  I say this knowing there is NO WAY CAR offers that though lol

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, football guy said:

With Saleh being a first time HC I think our off-season
program starts April 5th.  If that's the case will Douglas
try to move Darnold by then to avoid an awkward situation
of a "lame duck" QB?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets off-season program starts April 5th, I think.  Wouldn't they want to have this done (if they are reading Sam) by then?  And if they are resigned to trading him, do you think they do so no matter what? Or only of they get some value for him (e.g. the Rosen package)?

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

but not all trades are equal

Miami traded out of the top 10 to 12. they moved back 9 spots. if the Jets trade to 8 thats only 6 spots. you have to figure it will be less.

maybe 1 first less. so thats 2 but really were swapping one of them so its only one extra 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. and Mac Jones will be available at 8th so we could still get a QB, or Carolina likes him and stays put. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

You still want Fields right?

Do you not like wilson at all or do you just like Fields more?

I have questions about Zach and how much of his moxy translates under NFL pressure... I don’t hate him tho. If it did work, he would be hella exciting I’m sure. 

for me I just prefer Trade down or Fields. The latter just feels like a mistake to pass on. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Thank you!!!

Why is this so hard for folks to understand.  The truth is now San Fran can talk to the Jets seriously!!!! Flipping picks 2 and 3 is not the same thing as dropping to 12!!!

Finally it means that if the the Jets are open for the drop down, no one is in a better position than the 49ers...

MLB Fred Warner might be the key piece ---- because Saleh needs someone (that player) who can help him install that defense!!!

@football guy what do you think about my take? :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, doitny said:

but not all trades are equal

Miami traded out of the top 10 to 12. they moved back 9 spots. if the Jets trade to 8 thats only 6 spots. you have to figure it will be less.

maybe 1 first less. so thats 2 but really were swapping one of them so its only one extra 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. and Mac Jones will be available at 8th so we could still get a QB, or Carolina likes him and stays put. 

Doesn't really matter how many spots down, the 2nd pick is far more valuable than the 3rd pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!!

Why is this so hard for folks to understand.  The truth is now San Fran can talk to the Jets seriously!!!! Flipping picks 2 and 3 is not the same thing as dropping to 12!!!

Finally it means that if the the Jets are open for the drop down, no one is in a better position than the 49ers...

What is the likelihood that both the Jets and 49ers have interest in two different QBs? If yes, I'd love to do a pick swap package.  Keeping the illusion of a trade to Carolina open might be enough to convince SF to do this.  Now if SF and the Jets want the same guy, then no, your stay and take ur guy.

1 minute ago, Jdub03 said:

What is the likelihood that both the Jets and 49ers have interest in two different QBs? If yes, I'd love to do a pick swap package.  Keeping the illusion of a trade to Carolina open might be enough to convince SF to do this.  Now if SF and the Jets want the same guy, then no, your stay and take ur guy.

If the Jets move to 3, they probably ain't staying there. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

A #2 pick who hasn't done anything yet is not a franchise QB. Not the same at all.

24 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!!

MLB Fred Warner might be the key piece ---- because Saleh needs someone (that player) who can help him install that defense!!!

I posted this scenario shortly after SF moved to 3. A trade between the two may have already been agreed upon. 

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!!

I think it's possible yes. I don't know if Fred Warner is a player they would give up, but I'm sure there will be some exploratory talks and likely already happened at the pro day 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

To me this is the bigger point. Roseman and Douglas are really close. JD is not out to screw him or the 49ers. It was reported that Philly wanted to trade up to 3 but only for Wilson. There is no question in my mind that something like this happened:

What if the “report,” that the Eagles would only move up for Wilson is complete and total fabricated bull****? What if that “leaked,” as a way for Roseman to help his buddy out to boost the value of that #2 pick. 

Everything other than the Eagles traded down to add more picks is speculation. Trading down could’ve been all they ever really wanted to do. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I have questions about Zach and how much of his moxy translates under NFL pressure... I don’t hate him tho. If it did work, he would be hella exciting I’m sure. 

for me I just prefer Trade down or Fields. The latter just feels like a mistake to pass on. 

Just heard Gil Brandt talk about Fields. He really likes him, but he says a lot of NFL teams think he was an average QB on a great team with great receivers great OL and great running back. One team has him as a 4th rounder. NFL wants him at the draft, there will only be 12 players there and Fields told Gil he would only go if he was guaranteed to go Top 10 and Brandt does not think he can promise him that.  He did not obviously say which teams had him downrated., We are not looped in on interviews and white board sessions and things like that but Brandt does think he is really dropping. Thinks 49ers take Lance. Thinks Jets pick Wilson. He did hint that JAX will try to do some additional work with Wilson. He said a private workout but I do not think they are allowed.

Also, apparently the player's union wants a completely virtual offseason again. Ludicrous if you ask me. We just played an entire season and was OK