The Official Draft Day 3 Thread

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, disagree, kids got talent.   2019 he was suspended, then IR, no offseason in 2020, never really got a rhythm going in Gase's offense that didnt really leverage the TE and his QB's were terrible.   For the most part, I'm giving anyone on offense a pass after what was going on here for the last 2 years.  Herndon 100% flashed as a rookie.

Herndon was absolutely the worst TE on the roster last year.  He was consistently dropping passes and he offers nothing in the run game. The Jets should cut him loose. He offers nothing

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

You are wrong about literally everything.

hahahahahahahahahah - I own you.  I've literally been smacking your terrible takes around for years.  Stamps to prove it.

BOW DOWN TO YOUR MASTER

but first share those drugs your on.

Just now, choon328 said:

Herndon was absolutely the worst TE on the roster last year.  He was consistently dropping passes and he offers nothing in the run game. The Jets should cut him loose. He offers nothing

Who was the good TE on the roster last year? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

4th: Jabril Cox - LSU

4th: OC Drew Dalman - Stanford 

5th: RB Khalil Herbert - Virginia Tech

5th: FB Ben Mason - Michigan 

6th: TE Zach Davidson - Central Missouri

6th: PK Jose Borregales - Miami

The we can all go home and start working on that statue of Joe Douglas.

Great stuff. I’m going to steal yours as a template for mine because they’re so similar.

4th: LB Jabril Cox - LSU

5th: EDGE Shaka Toney - Penn State

6th: LB Buddy Johnson - Texas A&M

6th: RB Kene Nwangwu - Iowa State

I kept flip flopping on including Davidson but Toney’s potentially really interesting as an athletic team captain who’s maybe a LEO fit and I just don’t think Davidson makes it to the sixth. Would love it if they land him though. Also thought seriously about including Demar Hamlin and Nick Niemann and think Larnel Coleman is firmly in play.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Herndon is TE1. And will have a great season in this offense. Embrace it. 
Idk why ppl hate on him, because he didn’t perform like Kittle with Sam Darnold and Gase?

• Upvote 1

I saw both of these posted and if either played out I could be happy with them both.... I think they both have value and potential. 

5th: RB Khalil Herbert - Virginia Tech

6th: TE Zach Davidson - Central Missouri

6th: PK Jose Borregales - Miami

I would be shocked if we don't see a trade or two as JD may target a guy and move up OR not love anyone available when we are on the clock and move down. Joe D seems very flexible and willing to deal.... and IMHO... I trust Joe D and his trades. For the first time in a long time I don't feel like the JETS get fleeced with every trade they make.

• Upvote 1

In the unlikely event the Jets stick will all 6 of their current picks, this is my wild ass guess....

Round 4
Pick 2 (107)  Jabril Cox, LB, LSU
Pick 38 (143) Kary Vincent, CB, LSU

Round 5
Pick 2 (146) Jaret Patterson, RB, Buffalo 
Pick 10 (154) Kylen Granson, TE, SMU

Round 6
Pick 2 (186) Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn 
Pick 42 (226)  Isaiah McDuffie, LB, Boston College

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, disagree, kids got talent.   2019 he was suspended, then IR, no offseason in 2020, never really got a rhythm going in Gase's offense that didnt really leverage the TE and his QB's were terrible.   For the most part, I'm giving anyone on offense a pass after what was going on here for the last 2 years.  Herndon 100% flashed as a rookie.

Great take. 

It should be completely obvious to give every single player on this offense a pass until evaluated next year in our new scheme. Gase left Miami and all of a sudden players got so much better. Literally all of them. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Great take. 

It should be completely obvious to give every single player on this offense a pass until evaluated next year in our new scheme. Gase left Miami and all of a sudden players got so much better. Literally all of them. 

Yeah but he can’t catch. That’s his big problem, Gase’s offense isn’t the problem there. 
you just can’t have a poor blocking TE that can’t catch.  

17 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We really need to give up the thought of Herndon doing ANYTHING. He’s literally useless. He’s not a good player and he does not create mismatches anywhere. He’s simply not good. 

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I def. gotta agree. 

Herndon's been through a lot with the suspension and injury. Weather his fault or not. 2020 was truly a s***tstorm, especially for him as he was coming back from injury, no otas, lack of targets, useless offense, drops. They didn't target him nearly enough, especially when all the WRs were down, Darnold ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, the o-line leaked from the inside, it was a mess. Then when they finally went to him he had some drops and they completely went away from him again. I think he got dinged up again, then towards the end of the season Darnold finally starts getting a bit of rhythm with him and Gase decides to go away from him. I remember watching late in the season thinking ok, Herndon just had a good game, they're gotta target him now, make sure they get him involved, but nope, run the ball, throw it to Berrios. I was dumbfounded. 

We know Herndon is a talented TE who can make really nice catches. I mean he's athletic enough to make plays after the catch and get open in the NFL and he's got really nice hands when he's not in his head. He can also block. He needs to be able to stay on the field and you need to actually involve him to get production out of him.

As far as drafting a TE. Maybe later but not with the 2nd pick in the 4th. I mean, Brevin Jordan is on the board but there's really no high upside TE that I know of left. 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah but he can’t catch. That’s his big problem, Gase’s offense isn’t the problem there. 
you just can’t have a poor blocking TE that can’t catch.  

This is simply untrue. Herndon has shown he can make some amazing catches. He is a good pass catching TE. And he can block. Where is this coming from that he is a poor blocking TE? He's not. He's fine at it. It's never been an 'issue' for him.

Drops haven't always been an issue either. Not in school, not his rookie season. They began when he was suspended, then came back and immediately got injured. Then stepped into a Gase mess with a ton of pressure and Sam running for his life because of bad o-line play and no receivers. I believe he then got injured again. It was a s***storm for him. He needs to figure out how to stay on the field is what he needs to do.  

• Upvote 2

I’m still shocked at JD picking three offensive players with the first three picks. Happy, just surprised. I do think we see more defense on the back end here, but at some point they have to take a kicker, right? The kicking game has been frightening. 

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Gainwell overachieved in college. He'll be pedestrian in the pro's. Ellerson Smith is also mediocre. But a great name.

Well, depends on where he ends up and how he is used. Thats true of a lot of players that go this late. Washington Football Team drafted Antonio Gibson in Rd. 2 (a reach IMO) last year who was more explosive but has similar traits. Gainwell is versatile like that, if you use him as a RB and receiver, moving him around all over the field you can get a good amount of production out of Gainwell and he'll be a nice offensive threat, even if in a backup RB role.   

Now, personally I really like Khalil Herbert. I think if we can get him with our late 4th or early 5th that would be fantastic. He's a perfect fit for that RB by committee role in the zone heavy scheme. Great cut back ability and burst through the hole. He's got great balance which makes him hard to tackle. Nice vision to run inside. And he's got enough speed to break one or beat you around the edge. Not elite speed but good enough.  Def not a bell-cow back. Doesn't give you much in the pass game. But good value in Rd. 4-5. 

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is simply untrue. Herndon has shown he can make some amazing catches. He is a good pass catching TE. And he can block. Where is this coming from that he is a poor blocking TE? He's not. He's fine at it. It's never been an 'issue' for him.

Drops haven't always been an issue either. Not in school, not his rookie season. They began when he was suspended, then came back and immediately got injured. Then stepped into a Gase mess with a ton of pressure and Sam running for his life because of bad o-line play and no receivers. I believe he then got injured again. It was a s***storm for him. He needs to figure out how to stay on the field is what he needs to do.  

Sorry, but he drops far too many passes. Did his rookie year too - just this place was way too in love with him to notice. 
He did make a couple of great catches that year too, I agree.  
His hands are not reliable enough to be counted on.  I certainly wouldn’t want a 3rd and 6 ball going to him, knowing there’s a relatively good chance he drops it.  
As for blocking, if you can’t count on him in the.passing game - there are plenty of cheap, superior blocking options.  

50 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He did show flashes in his rookie year but last year wasn't good. I would give him another year, especially with a new QB, since we don't have a lot at TE. 

51 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Idk why ppl hate on him, because he didn’t perform like Kittle with Sam Darnold and Gase?

Because he’s absolutely atrocious and when he wasn’t dropping balls last year he was fumbling after the catch. At least on the few occasions where he wasn’t invisible.

He doesn’t deserve a roster spot.

55 minutes ago, derp said:

Great stuff. I’m going to steal yours as a template for mine because they’re so similar.

I kept flip flopping on including Davidson but Toney’s potentially really interesting as an athletic team captain who’s maybe a LEO fit and I just don’t think Davidson makes it to the sixth. Would love it if they land him though. Also thought seriously about including Demar Hamlin and Nick Niemann and think Larnel Coleman is firmly in play.

I’d be down with this. Fills a lot of needs but not reaching for any of them. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Because he’s absolutely atrocious and when he wasn’t dropping balls last year he was fumbling after the catch. At least on the few occasions where he wasn’t invisible.

He doesn’t deserve a roster spot.

Yes because we have such a plethora of such amazing TE's. 

55 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I swear you don't watch the games

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I’d be down with this. Fills a lot of needs but not reaching for any of them. 

All team captains and can run too so it *feels* realistic instead of hoping for the guys who fell because of character/medical/poor testing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Don't forget about his 98% drop rate last year.  

Hopefully that improves... 

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Can someone kindly explain the “will” and “mike” references here.

Will = weak side linebacker.  Usually a smaller/faster player than runs down backs from behind the play.  Think Derrick Brooks 

Mike = middle linebacker.  Stout run stuffer/leader The faster the better imo.  Think Ray Lewis/Urlacher 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Not really true. Yeah you're not likely to get a pro-bowler but you this is where you can get some very useful depth. 

This part was a disaster last year so Douglas must improve. Perine is the worst pick we've made since Hackenberg, 

The whole 4th round was a disaster considering who else he could have gotten in that area so I am with you on this, I have some trepidation he is going to go off the board.

6 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Elijah Mitchell is 5' 10" 215 but plays much bigger.  He has elite 4.35 speed but - despite that tremendous speed - is really a between the tackles workhorse.  A two-down back who neither blocks or catches well, he is a no nonsense north-south runner who fits a zone scheme as a one-cut runner to the hole.  He can help us and I would grab him in the 5th if we have not taken a back.

Clearly we have to grab this guy and stay with the trend.

• Upvote 1