Do we start rooting for the tank right off the bat in week 1?

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The 49ers have been to two Super Bowls and four NFC title games since we last made the playoffs.

Probably because the coaching staff built a culture around powering thru adversity, not folding a season in August after 1 significant injury,

• Upvote 2

Maybe (maaaaybe) the tail end of the season, not right away. That's lunacy... You want to win. Especially for our young QB. Wins=confidence. Forget next year's draft for now... Most important thing overall should be getting Zach's confidence up! That doesn't happen by tanking games and losing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Christ 

I loved what I heard about Lawson in camp but the dude has averaged 5 sacks a year to date.

You people are acting like we just lost Lawrence Taylor.

Go sign Everson Griffen and there is your 5/6 sacks.  Sucks but you're just going to have wait for LTawson next season.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Agreed but sans a legit pass rusher... sure... others can fill in the job... or they can scheme around their personnel but this hurts... I was so excited to see a game changer again on the edge.

It definitely hurts

And I probably would’ve already been in favor of the Jets using their highest 1st rounder next year on an edgerusher even if Lawson didn’t get hurt.

Now? It’s hands down the most pressing need for next season.

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Go sign Everson Griffen and there is your 5/6 sacks.  Sucks but you're just going to have wait for LTawson next season.

Agreed

Hopefully Huff shows sustained promise throughout the season and maybe even another young kid like Rashed makes the team and shows something in a rotational role.

Either way EDGE has to be at the top of the priority list come March/April. Regardless of Lawson’s status.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed

Hopefully Huff shows sustained promise throughout the season and maybe even another young kid like Rashed makes the team and shows something in a rotational role.

Either way EDGE has to be at the top of the priority list come March/April. Regardless of Lawson’s status.

Lets be real, we were hoping Lawson became an elite pass rusher here but reality is, he's never cracked 9 sacks and only made it through the season twice in 4 years.  So this was always kind of a hope situation with a player seemingly ascending.  So I guess my point is, either way, was/is/will be a huge need.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

Come on bro. You only tank and fall 1 pick short for franchise-altering QBs.

That said, “Cave on for Kayvon” does have a nice ring.

It's more than just sack totals. He disrupts the quarterback and impacts the game. And ranks top 3 over the past two seasons in QB hits. 

This is a disaster loss @ 4-3 DE and what  hurts most about it is how we've dreamed of an edge rusher since #94 and right when we find one he's immediately taken away from us.

Oh well man I'm tired of rooting for Defense I just wanna see Zach Wilson have a fun rookie season this year  ;-(

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Lets be real, we were hoping Lawson became an elite pass rusher here but reality is, he's never cracked 9 sacks and only made it through the season twice in 4 years.  So this was always kind of a hope situation with a player seemingly ascending.  So I guess my point is, either way, was/is/will be a huge need.  

The hope was Lawson be a 7-9 sack a year guy who constantly generated rush from the edge and made interior guys like QW and Franklin Myers even more lethal

Everyone liked the signing for good reason but no one was saying he was going to be a young Reggie White

Na I made myself a promise last year that I'll never root against my favorite team again. Gase took a lot out of us last year. 

Now that Carl Lawson is gone, I just want 2021 to become the year of the Quarterback where Zach Wilson energizes our entire Fan Base and has us dreaming big moving forward. 

Carl Lawson's injury stinks and I'm disappointed but with two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks I'm confident Joe Douglas and especially coach Saleh will land us our edge rusher of the future (even if we've gotta trade up for him). 

The team I'll be rooting against and hoping to tank is the Seattle Seahawks.  

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

SF lost most of their team/defense to injury last season. Act like men, ffs.

They won 6 games with a team that was supposed to challenge for the superbowl.  so yeah their season got f'ced due to injuries.  Are we suppose to applaud the same fate?

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They won 6 games with a team that was supposed to challenge for the superbowl.  so yeah their season got f'ced due to injuries.  Are we suppose to applaud the same fate?

I agree. In 2019 mostly all of the elite QBs struggled vs Saleh once featuring Nick Bosa especially Aaron Rodgers (2x) but last year despite top 5 in yards allowed mostly all of the elite QBs destroyed Saleh's Defense without Nick Bosa rushing them and especially Aaron Rodgers. 

Horrible loss for coach Saleh because Lawson was going to make his Defense dominant and I just hope both Quinnen Williams and C.J. Mosley remain healthy because if so we'll be all right.

(but without Carl Lawson causing havoc from the edge I'm no longer expecting a 2019 49ers led Defense under Saleh). 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Kinda, yes. 6 wins with THAT many injuries, Jimmy G at QB and playing in the NFC West was actually pretty damn impressive, to me at least.

They weren’t devoid of talent but that certainly was an example where the systems/coaching on both sides of the ball were put to the test and yielded the best results it could under difficult circumstances.  And I’m not a guy who typically argues that coaching makes a huge difference.  Though a quality system certainly can, I suppose.

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Some of you guys are acting like the is was going to be a playoff caliber team.   The loss of Lawson really doesn’t change the overall win total for this season very much.  So instead of 7 wins, they win 6?  

I’m thinking we went from 7 wins to 3-4 after this news, tbh.  Maybe someone can talk me into 5 wins.  Maybe.

You can’t lose one of your projected 3 best players and not be sad, even if the bar was already low on this season’s W-L expectations.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Some of you guys are acting like the is was going to be a playoff caliber team.   The loss of Lawson really doesn’t change the overall win total for this season very much.  So instead of 7 wins, they win 6?  

I want to see a competitive team. I want to see good players.

Lawson was a guy entering his prime who was pressuring QB's with the best of them last season, a guy who was tearing it up through camp. I was excited to see a good pass rusher on the Jets for the first time in 16 ******* years. A potentially great unit has lost it's most valuable piece. 

This injury hurts. However that translates to wins is impossible to know-  it definitely makes the Jets a worse team. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Except we lost one player.  One player who isnt in the same planet as Bosa at this point.  Plus they lost their QB along with others, not even close to losing Lawson

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

After we win 4 games this year I cant wait to be told Joe Douglas cant be criticized because next off season is actually the real year 1 rebuild.

Youre knocking how many wins off their total because of the Lawson injury?  3? 4?

And its JDs fault that Lawson had a season ending injury?  

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

This injury hurts. However that translates to wins is impossible to know-  it definitely makes the Jets a worse team. 

Precisely so.

It is an easy thing to claim that the addition off this player or the subtraction of that one will transllate into this many extra wins or that many extra losses.  Easy because it is utterly impossible to either prove or disprove such assertions.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m thinking we went from 7 wins to 3-4 after this news, tbh.  Maybe someone can talk me into 5 wins.  Maybe.

You can’t lose one of your projected 3 best players and not be sad, even if the bar was already low on this season’s W-L expectations.

If the Jets only win 3-4 games this year, we have WAY more problems than just Carl Lawson not being here.