Deeply Dysfunctional

TMAC

There are a couple of things that everyone needs to keep in mind regarding Sam:

1) Yes, he has gotten off to a good start but there were a lot of tendencies still shown last night that he still hasn't improved on and they were lucky to get those 2 fumbles back. 

2) People shouldn't be comparing Wilson Year 1 to Sam Year 4. 

3) There is little doubt that if Sam stayed on the Jets this year, he wouldn't look the same or be putting up those numbers. 

4) Not fair to compare a coaching staff that has worked together for a year vs rookie coaches who have only worked a couple of months together so far. 

5) Even if Sam stayed on the Jets and put up the same numbers he has so far, it's unlikely it would drastically change the win total for the year. The whole team needs to gain experience and knowledge in the systems and having him on a monster contract wouldn't make sense. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will be vying for a Super Bowl in 2023.  We r 2 games into a ground up rebuild.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

I'll take a 9-8 season by 2023 and be VERY thankful at this point.

The words "Super Bowl" should be banned from the website for at least 5 years!  It was embarrassing when Rex used them.... and he had a playoff caliber team at the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Watching last night's Panther's game all I could think to myself is wouldn't we be 2-0 right now if Douglas and Saleh kept Sam Darnold and traded #2 for a haul of picks.

So I'm not seeing steps "in the right direction" right now.  And considering Douglas' track record, Darnold being a Top 12 NFL quarterback is more likely than it is not.

SAR I

Ok that’s a stretch and you know it. Sam would of looked no difference behind this line. Completely different team.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Watching last night's Panther's game all I could think to myself is wouldn't we be 2-0 right now if Douglas and Saleh kept Sam Darnold and traded #2 for a haul of picks.

So I'm not seeing steps "in the right direction" right now.  And considering Douglas' track record, Darnold being a Top 12 NFL quarterback is more likely than it is not.

SAR I

I dont seem to remember you saying that was what the team should do while you were trolling the board to retain Gase, trolling all for Gases firing and then calling for JDs head.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Are we still winning 10 games and going to the playoffs this year, or?

No.  I miscalculated how difficult it would be to win games w/ a first time coordinator and rookie qb.  The injuries to some major players factored in as well.

But we are on the right track and building something special here.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets future is the brightest its been since Parcells was here.  Cheer up Jet fans.  We will be vying for a Super Bowl in 2023.  We r 2 games into a ground up rebuild.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

A great example why you should avoid mind altering drugs during adolescence. 

Willing to concede Saleh is as good a coach as we could expect. But beyond that, there is so so much that is still f___ed up. 

Scared not picking Mac Jones and picking Wilson is gonna echo the same way picking Adams over Mahomes and Watson has. Said it on draft day, seen nothing since to change my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Willing to concede Saleh is as good a coach as we could expect. But beyond that, there is so so much that is still f___ed up. 

Scared not picking Mac Jones and picking Wilson is gonna echo the same way picking Adams over Mahomes and Watson has. Said it on draft day, seen nothing since to change my mind. 

I think I’ve read a million posts and articles saying “welp, a rookie quarterback going against Belichick! What did you expect?” But I haven’t read one post or article asking why alleged defensive mastermind Robert Saleh couldn’t even make Mac Jones break a sweat last week on his way to an easy win.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 2

22 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Ok that’s a stretch and you know it. Sam would of looked no difference behind this line. Completely different team.

So then a culture change and a brand new coaching staff means nothing?

I'm learning a lot about the NFL today.  Or human nature.  Probably the latter.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

you really think we win those games with Sam?

if we had Sam and Carolina still had Teddy we still lose. we started what 6 rookies? with the more draft picks how many more rookies would we be playing 8. in there 1st game?

ok im going to say something unpopular here and it might get me banned but i cant help it.

Sam played 3 weak teams. we did not.

playing the panthers, pats and broncos are a lot harder than playing the jets, saints and Texans.

ok now im ready for my ban. how dare i bring up the cupcake schedule sam has played. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

We have to hope that our oc can become joe brady, who calls an impeccable game and has receivers and TE running free all over the place on most plays.

Also 'Carolina have played three weak teams!'

New orleans totally kicked the loving shi* out of Green bay and rodgers, no they are not a weak team.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Everything else aside, was that more about the Saints (fully healthy at that time) or the Packers?

Well the packers won big the next game, i mean you could argue that any time a team loses that they are bad if that is the take we want to make.

so if New orleans is a bad team and they hammered the packers then the packers are one of the worst teams in the league which we know they are not.

8 hours ago, TMAC said:

Watching last night's Panther's game was a stark reminder of how deeply dysfunctional the Jets organization had become.  When they drafted Sam Darnold, they failed to surround him with even adequate talent.  Even worse, his coaches, Todd Bowles and Adam Gase were, at the very best, totally incompetent.  The Jets could have hired Matt Rhule but wouldn't let him pick his own assistants: i.e., Gregg Williams had to stay on as DC. The Johnson's responsible for this mess.  Chris Johnson should never be permitted to make any meaningful executive decision again.

I believe, however, that the Jets have taken steps in the right direction with JD and Saleh.  I understand why they moved on from Sam. The New York media tried to run Phil Simms and Eli out of town.  I know they will try to do that with Wilson.  Unfair not to give him a chance.  New HC and OC.  New OL. Very young team.  Let's hope that Zach plays well on Sunday. God knows, Jet fans need some hope.

I disagree with the idea that somehow Todd Bowles is responsible for how poorly Sammy played for us. Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, you name the HC. Show me a team that sucks at DRAFTING and retaining talent and I'll show you a HC on the hot seat. It's an overwhelming FACT. You can only win as much as the talent base allows. The Jets had an incompetent idiot in Mac. That's the guy you need to blame. His draft choices were sh*t from start to finish. He gave Bowles NOTHING to work with and therefore Bowles gave the fans NOTHING to be proud of. It's a direct cause and effect scenario....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Mac Jones threw 4 yard passes all day against Jets so he is Mr. check down right now and until he can go down field with the ball more his team will struggle to score 20 points even which so far they have. We took the risk on Wilson because he has special ability that later on can potentially make us a great team and not just an OK to good team. in the past 20 years or so we were knocking at the SB door in 3 AFC title games and with a special QB if we can get back there we would have a better chance to get to the big show. That is the point of this all and not just to squeak into the playoffs and then get embarrassed once you get there like so many teams do. That is not success, it just buys coaches more time to keep getting their pay checks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Drafting is not JDs forte

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think I’ve read a million posts and articles saying “welp, a rookie quarterback going against Belichick! What did you expect?” But I haven’t read one post or article asking why alleged defensive mastermind Robert Saleh couldn’t even make Mac Jones break a sweat last week on his way to an easy win.

Maybe it’s the players?

25 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Mac Jones threw 4 yard passes all day against Jets so he is Mr. check down right now and until he can go down field with the ball more his team will struggle to score 20 points even which so far they have. We took the risk on Wilson because he has special ability that later on can potentially make us a great team and not just an OK to good team. in the past 20 years or so we were knocking at the SB door in 3 AFC title games and with a special QB if we can get back there we would have a better chance to get to the big show. That is the point of this all and not just to squeak into the playoffs and then get embarrassed once you get there like so many teams do. That is not success, it just buys coaches more time to keep getting their pay checks. 

Yet our GM got rings with Joe Flacco and the Eagles backup whose name I can’t even remember.  

SAR I

5 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Again, you need to understand compared to Wilson,  Jones physically is  bigger and stronger, he accomplished more in college, and did so  at a higher level. And so far he doesn't beat himself. I'll take 4 yard checkdowns over gift wrapped INTs any day.