Marcus Maye possible Achilles injury

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He doesn’t want to be here anyway. Can’t blame him. This franchise is exhausting for an observer - imagine being an employee.

For one of the first times in my Jet life, I sat through last night's game almost in a stunned stupor.  It was like I no longer wanted to expend the energy to get angry, frustrated, complain, etc.  Felt like I was watching all the problems and deficiencies we've endured endlessly.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For one of the first times in my Jet life, I sat through last night's game almost in a stunned stupor.  It was like I no longer wanted to expend the energy to get angry, frustrated, complain, etc.  Felt like I was watching all the problems and deficiencies we've endured endlessly.

I’ve been that way for a few years. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Been that way for a few years now , it’s a good thing , embrace it . It’s like getting sober . 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

This is why I hate when the franchise tag is used in bad faith. It's also why I don't blame players looking out for themselves.

Maye made it known he didn't want to be tagged, because he knew with his age, this was his only chance for a big long term deal. The Jets tagged him anyway when Douglas probably had no plans of retaining him past this year at a number they both would agree with.

Now Maye will likely miss an entire year, and will be worth pennies on the market as an old Safety coming off injury. Meanwhile Jamal Adams went scorched earth and is now the highest paid safety in the NFL.

Not sure why you are directing your disagreement on the tag at Joe Douglass and the Jets.  Those are the rules and Jets are allowed to follow them.   Your argument or Maye not wanting to be tagged should be directed at the players union for agreeing to to tag provision in their CBA

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Been that way for a few years now , it’s a good thing , embrace it . It’s like getting sober . 

I might call on you as my sponsor.

Seriously, I've been feeling this come on for a while now.  Other than for the online friendships/camaraderie and goofing around, I often don't even want to bother posting here.  Why waste my time talking about the same garbage we've all watched for decades?   Even with all the fanfare of a new QB/HC etc. it just never changes.  Once again, 2-6.

But then I picture@The Crusher's sad, adorable face in tears at the prospect of me missing from this brood so I log on.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Could be career ending for Maye. No one is going to sign him next season, and then he will be a 30 year old  safety coming off a mediocre at best season and an achilles injury.

He was a decent player, banged up a lot.

with a couple of DUI i believe to his name.

i wanted to sign him to a 3 year deal with the first 2 years guaranteed.  but at like 33mm not what he wanted.  

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

Not sure why you are directing your disagreement on the tag at Joe Douglass and the Jets.  Those are the rules and Jets are allowed to follow them.   Your argument or Maye not wanting to be tagged should be directed at the players union for agreeing to to tag provision in their CBA

The tags original intent was to increase the negotiating window between teams.

The Jets used the tag to hold Maye hostage for 1 year at a reduced price. Its kinda sh*tty.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

The tags original intent was to increase the negotiating window between teams.

The Jets used the tag to hold Maye hostage for 1 year at a reduced price. Its kinda sh*tty.

The original intent, and current intent, are exactly the same. Many players that are franchise tagged ultimately get that big contract. There is no guarantee that the team will sign the player, never has been.  

It's kind of smart by the team to use it in a situation like this.

Not to mention, Maye was likely going to to get a non-fully guaranteed contract if he was a free agent anyway. So if he had gotten a 3/30 million dollar deal with 10 million guaranteed, the team would have cut him after the Achilles injury and he would still be getting the same 10 million he got this year. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The original intent, and current intent, are exactly the same. Many players that are franchise tagged ultimately get that big contract. There is no guarantee that the team will sign the player, never has been.  

They aren't the same. There was never any intent to sign Maye long term, and everybody on this board knew it.

It's smart by the team, but it's sh*tty to the player. This is why many teams don't even use the tag at all.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

They aren't the same. There was never any intent to sign Maye long term, and everybody on this board knew it.

It's smart by the team, but it's sh*tty to the player. This is why many teams don't even use the tag at all.

Rumors were Douglas offered him a multi year deal at $8-9m per year. That is exactly where Mayes value should have been given his age and overall level of play.

Feel bad for Maye but he gambled on himself and lost.

• Upvote 4

He will still make more money next year than any of us, no matter what team he is on. One bird in the hand is better than two in the bush— knowing he had a DUI and could have possibly been hurt, he should have taken the 8-9 mil offer but his agent has proven to be a ******* idiot. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

Dallas, Giants, Washington, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Carolina, Denver, New Orleans and the Jets used the franchise tag this past year. Bengals, Giants, Titans, Chiefs, Cowboys, Vikings, Steelers, Bucs, WFT, Chargers, Broncos, Ravens and Jaguars used it last year. That's 17 different teams using the Franchise Tag, When you say "many teams don't even use the tag at all" could you clarify because from my point of view more than half of NFL teams used it the past 2 year. 23 different teams have used it since 2018.

That's so rough.

I feel bad for him, especially as he didn't get that long term deal. Whatever about his performance levels this season guy has been consistently good since being drafted and this is exactly the kind of thing that legitimised his grievance with the contract situation. Hope he recovers and has a good career elsewhere. Sad that it ended like this.

• Upvote 1

I don't feel bad for him at all.  

He was offered a fair deal for his level of performance but insisted on being paid like a top safety in the league - which he is not.

Him and his agent took to social media to bad mouth the team, all the while hiding the fact that he had criminal charges pending against him.

He should have took what was offered to him and run to the bank.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

But again, shouldnt Maye's argument be against his own players union for allowing the tag to be used the way it is?   its not the Jets fault fall using the tag as allowed.  Players Association agreed to this in the CBA

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

I just hate how some GMs abuse the tag. It's meant to extend the window in which teams and players can negotiate. Some players are fine with the tag, but Maye publicly stated he wasn't. Some front offices just use it to take players hostage for 1 year.

I remember when the Panthers tagged Josh Norman, and when they realized they weren't close in numbers, they rescinded the tag and let him test the market.

Few players like getting tagged. Most of the ones getting it could/would get a more lucrative deal as a FA. Maybe there's the occasional ones who're ok with it because they wouldn't command a deal with multiple guaranteed seasons anyway, but that's about it.

What really doomed his career earnings was being a 24 year-old rookie at a position group that carries a stigma past age 30.  That set himself up to get tagged by reaching is first UFA status as a 28 year-old DB. If he was 27 then maybe that would've changed things.  

This wasn't abuse of the tag either. They had negotiations and weren't able to agree on a number. By Maye's own words he didn't feel unfairly treated, though it's quite clear he'd have rather had a long term deal for more than the Jets' top offer. It was never leaked what that top offer was, or what Maye demanded, but that top team offer likely it would've contained more than $10.6MM in guarantees - injury guarantees in particular - or he'd have stated he 100% felt he was treated unfairly. 

He bet on himself instead of taking what was offered; no one forced him to do so.  

No one likes to see this happen. Hopefully for him, he makes a full recovery and is able to make back the extra $ he turned down by having a longer career than most DBs, whether it's with the Jets or not. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

I just hate how some GMs abuse the tag. It's meant to extend the window in which teams and players can negotiate. Some players are fine with the tag, but Maye publicly stated he wasn't. Some front offices just use it to take players hostage for 1 year.

I remember when the Panthers tagged Josh Norman, and when they realized they weren't close in numbers, they rescinded the tag and let him test the market.

You are completely wrong. Using the tag is not abusing it. It is there for a reason and no the reason is not to extend the window since you literally cannot negotiate with the player after July 15. It is specifically designed to allow teams to keep players (especially QBs) that want to go to free agency. Doing anything other than the franchise tag would have been idiotic unless he agreed to a reasonable amount. Lets not cry any tears for him he still made $10 million guaranteed. And teams get 1 per year, it is not like that is really even abusable. It is literally a single player.

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I might call on you as my sponsor.

Seriously, I've been feeling this come on for a while now.  Other than for the online friendships/camaraderie and goofing around, I often don't even want to bother posting here.  Why waste my time talking about the same garbage we've all watched for decades?   Even with all the fanfare of a new QB/HC etc. it just never changes.  Once again, 2-6.

But then I picture@The Crusher's sad, adorable face in tears at the prospect of me missing from this brood so I log on.

This is the most Jets football I have watched in about 3-4 years.  I actually saw the two wins.  Most games I turn off after 1 quarter.  The only reason I watched part of the Indy game was Mike White.

This is going to be at least another year until this team can come close to 8 wins.  You have to let JD/coaching staff have a couple of years while they learn as well.  That is what we are relegated to now because NOBODY is coming to this team with experience.  A precedent was set that you get fired after 2 years.  Nobody will touch it unless it is the first time opportunity.  Is what it is, but until they get competitive, there is no point in watching.  You break too many televisions this way.

• Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

How is it sh*tty to the player?

It was collectively bargained for, it's part of the game.  

If players don't like it (and I get that they don't) then next CBA change it.  But in order to change it they'd have to give up something maybe they value MORE.

You have to play by the rules as they exist, not as you'd idealistically LIKE them to be.

And using the tag ISN'T just for extending the time to negotiate--sometimes it's used multiple times to squeeze the last juice out of the orange before you throw it into the trashbin.

Them's the rules.  

What is it with this team and injuries?…Sherwood and now Maye with the Achilles tears which is possibly one of the worst injuries any athlete can endure, at least modern surgery has made ACL’s and knee injuries far less of a career ended than they used to be

it’s been chronic the last 3 years with us, is it conditioning or the training surfaces at Florham Park?….either way it’s way beyond the normal for any team and will continue to destroy any hope of putting a cohesive and competitive team on the field 

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

What is it with this team and injuries?…Sherwood and now Maye with the Achilles tears which is possibly one of the worst injuries any athlete can endure, at least modern surgery has made ACL’s and knee injuries far less of a career ended than they used to be

it’s been chronic the last 3 years with us, is it conditioning or the training surfaces at Florham Park?….either way it’s way beyond the normal for any team and will continue to destroy any hope of putting a cohesive and competitive team on the field 

Carl Lawson for the Achilles as well.  Something is wrong 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You are completely wrong. Using the tag is not abusing it. It is there for a reason and no the reason is not to extend the window since you literally cannot negotiate with the player after July 15.

That player would have been available in March if not for the tag. It extends the negotiating window by 4 months.
If most players worthy of the tag don't like it, how is that not abuse?

Again, some teams use the tag in bad faith to get the player cheap for an extra year. This is exactly what happened with Maye.