Hamsah Nasirildeen MIA since week 2

AFJF

Id really like to know more about this because he is a player that seemed to have tremendous upside.

I get that he might be struggling with the transition to LB and Quincy Williams has earned the right to keep playing, but with all the struggles we have at safety, is Nas really so ill-equipped to play SS that he doesnt even get a look there?

Really disappointing to not see him out there more.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Sherwood

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Nasirildeen was an injury prone big safety with average athleticism for a LB. He still has more potential than Sherwood who was a big safety with below average athleticism for a LB. 

Nasirilideen only saw the field because of injuries.

Sherwood was the guy play playing well ( had most tackles)but unfortunately got injured and is out for the year.

29 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Nasirilideen only saw the field because of injuries.

Sherwood was the guy play playing well ( had most tackles)but unfortunately got injured and is out for the year.

Sherwood was not playing well. And Nasirildeen was the named starter going into week 1.

They tried to get cute with the safety-linebacker conversions, was a low risk proposition since those are dudes who can back up and contribute on special teams off the bat mid day three which is pretty much what you want there anyway. Thus far returns are closer to the floor than the ceiling for those picks - which is fine since the special teams play is valuable. Layer in Mosley not playing well and the linebacker spot seems kind of rough.

In a league where so much nickel is played and off-ball linebackers aren’t that valued they can probably get a massive upgrade if they spend a second round pick on an actual linebacker this year or a meaningful upgrade in FA for not that much money. Should be a pretty easy spot to fix.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

He’s a 6th round pick. Those are exactly the type of guys you want there. Guys who can develop into something with time. Some real talent? Look at the earlier picks. AVT has been playing borderline pro bowl level. Moore has been fantastic. Both carters are playing great. But yea let’s trash the 6th round pick. Man jd sucks am I right 

You see our team?  We're 2-8 after a 2-14 2020 season.   Other than a small handful of players, we don't look very good on all sides of the ball.

What I tried to say is that I don't give a crap about "raw" guys who don't have a shot in hell at succeeding at a competent NFL level.  Maybe JD needed to pepper all the hopeless rookies with some veterans.  Some NFL stars even.  Wow, what a revolutionary concept.

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

This staff had different rules for different  players 

Wilson, Nas and Sherwood were handed startling jobs

Mims had to prove he was worthy of getting a uniform lol

odd

It's not odd at all.   Some of these games they only play 2 LBs for 75% of the snaps.  They weren't handed starting roles.  Jarrad Davis got hurt and they cut guys that flat our suck.  They knew these guys would take time and replaced them with Shaq Lawson (who mostly plays DE) and Quincy Williams who took up most of the playing time these guys would have gotten.  They are better for what these guys are trying to do, just as Cole was better for the offense than Mims.  Doesn't mean they all shouldn't be improved.

Nasirildeen was an injury prone big safety with average athleticism for a LB. He still has more potential than Sherwood who was a big safety with below average athleticism for a LB. 

isnt the whole idea of drafting safeties to play LB to get superior athletes?

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You see our team?  We're 2-8 after a 2-14 2020 season.   Other than a small handful of players, we don't look very good on all sides of the ball.

What I tried to say is that I don't give a crap about "raw" guys who don't have a shot in hell at succeeding at a competent NFL level.  Maybe JD needed to pepper all the hopeless rookies with some veterans.  Some NFL stars even.  Wow, what a revolutionary concept.

What does that have to do with a 6th round pick? 99.999% of 6th round picks don’t go balls out in the first year. This was always an evaluation year. I get that you are impatient, but just look at the big picture. The foundation is being built. The line is looking decent for the first time in a decade. There are young guys actually producing which is the first time in a long time that’s happened besides 1 or 2 guys per draft. This has always been an evaluation year. If he signs bates /Marcus Williams and fixes the lbs this D will be in a much better spot with Lawson coming back. Pair that with a plethora of draft picks and cap space then this team should make a wild card push next year. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Larz said:

This staff had different rules for different  players 

Wilson, Nas and Sherwood were handed startling jobs

Mims had to prove he was worthy of getting a uniform lol

odd

highly drafted QBs usually get the starting job. especially when his competition is a 3yr PS guy.

and at LB we had no one. Jarred Davis was out , Cashman sucks and was probably injured too, cause he always is. we didnt have Quincy W yet. they got those jobs by Dafault.

now Mims was unlucky enough to be at a position we are stacked at. 

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

What does that have to do with a 6th round pick? 99.999% of 6th round picks don’t go balls out in the first year. This was always an evaluation year. I get that you are impatient, but just look at the big picture. The foundation is being built. The line is looking decent for the first time in a decade. There are young guys actually producing which is the first time in a long time that’s happened besides 1 or 2 guys per draft. This has always been an evaluation year. If he signs bates /Marcus Williams and fixes the lbs this D will be in a much better spot with Lawson coming back. Pair that with a plethora of draft picks and cap space then this team should make a wild card push next year. 

I'll try one more time:  It's not specifically about a sixth round pick.  It is that this team seems to annually rely on some "raw" prospect to miraculously contribute at a high level.   A guy like this belongs on the practice squad and soon out the door.  Not in discussions about how he will contribute on game days, which if beyond fanciful.

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'll try one more time:  It's not specifically about a sixth round pick.  It is that this team seems to annually rely on some "raw" prospect to miraculously contribute at a high level.   A guy like this belongs on the practice squad and soon out the door.  Not in discussions about how he will contribute on game days, which if beyond fanciful.

How are they relying on him? Jd took a shot late on a guy with high potential. If he busts then oh well it’s just a 6th if he breaks out then fantastic. It’s not like he’s a raw guy in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Did you look into this draft in the off-season? Hamsah is very athletic and was being projected as a 2-3rd round pick based on a pure athletic standpoint before he got injured. This is 100% a shot that a gm should take in the late rounds and not “show him the door” because he’s not producing year 1. He also had a ton of production in college. In 2018 he had 101 tackles and in 2019 he had 91 tackles which is crazy high for a safety. I didn’t even think about switching him to lb but it makes complete sense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

While i had high hopes for Nas and Sherwood, it’ll be a win if both become descent backups. I think that’s still realistic after a good offseason strength and conditioning program.

Getting a couple starting caliber LBs is still a need. 

I definitely think hamsah needs to bulk up a bit in the off-season. Taking dean in the draft will be a dream for me. He’s such an athletic freak 

There's nothing wrong with taking "raw" or risky guys in the later rounds...the problem is doing it in earlier ones.  In JD's first draft, he did so heavily in the first five rounds, and the results have been very disappointing so far.  I think good teams can take risks earlier, but bad teams need to minimize doing that to build some roster depth.

Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Morgan, and Clarke were all either raw, injury prone, and/or from smallish schools.  Sadly, there are huge ? on all those guys.  Seven picks in the first four rounds, and only one of them is playing regularly right now (Davis).  Not good, Bob. 

In JD's second draft, he took more polished guys (well, after Zach Wilson) in AVT, Moore, Carter in the first four rounds. The 2021 draft looks way better than 2020.

Maybe he's learned?

• Upvote 1