Could Drafting WR at BOTH #4 and #10 be Justified?

Warfish

My ideal scenario on how they attack the WR position is for them to go after either Ridley or Cooper and resign Berrios to a somewhat reasonable deal (not $9m a year). The WR corps I think would actually be one of the top in the league:

1) Ridley/Cooper

2) Moore

3) Corey Davis

4) Berrios

5) Mims

• Upvote 1

We cannot expect more rookies to come in and instantly make an impact and quite frankly, we don’t have another season to throw away on that. 

I think JD will look to add a “#1 WR” by draft (every draft until he finds one) rather than overpaying for one in FA but he has already shown, in a deep WR class, he isn’t going to double dip. If he did that at 4 and 10 Id be pissed. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think Douglas will either trade for a WR or sign one in free agency. I think the draft will be used to rebuild the defense. I believe 0 WRs will be drafted with high picks.

I think you are alone on an island with that opinion. The Jets may take an EDGE but they have stated their primary goal is to support Zach with protection and weapons. Maybe you are right but I would guess at least 2 and probably 3 or even 4 of our Top 4 picks are offense.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think you are alone on an island with that opinion. The Jets may take an EDGE but they have stated their primary goal is to support Zach with protection and weapons. Maybe you are right but I would guess at least 2 and probably 3 or even 4 of our Top 4 picks are offense.

The offense only needs a WR, RG, and TE. All positions that can easily be filled in free agency. The defense is the big problems that needs a major face lift. i think most people are going to be in for a surprise when the draft is heavily focused on defense

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

In discussing WR quite a bit of late, specifically the Berrios issue, it's pretty clear......our WR room sucks today.  Davis (meh) and Moore (mostly hope).

Mims, bust.  Cole, gone.  Crowder, likely gone.  Berrios, maybe gone too.  The rest on our roster, unworthy of discussion.

We have a rookie, who had a piss poor year, in Wilson, and we're looking today at having very little to help him at the skill positions.

We're not signing one of the elite WR's, for many reasons stated elsewhere, but be assured, we are not signing Adams or Robinson or those kind of guys.  

So......how do we do the most we can to support Wilson, the KEY to this franchises immediate future?

I would offer up that drafting WR at BOTH #4 and #10 might be one way to really kick this Offense, and Wilson, into gear.

Ignoring trade downs (just for now), we could likely get the top 2 rated WR's in this draft class, and (I'd hope) cement WR as a strength for years to come.

Lets consider, and for giggles say we draft Garrett Wilson (an amazing route runner comps. to DC's McLaurin) and Drake London (a big, powerful WR, the best contested ball/possession guy in this class).

That would give us Davis/Moore/Wilson/London as our 4 WR set.  There is no universe wher ethat group should be a weakness, or that Wilson should not be 100% supported at WR with that group.

Yes, this would come at a cost, no edge at #4.  We'd have to go edge (perhaps) at the top of the 2nd, and maybe TE with the other 2nd.  D would suffer, and maybe have to be filled in via cheaper FA's.

Is there any argument that this is the way to go for this franchise, to take a huge step towards making the Jets (and Wilson) an Offensive team with real skill players around Wilson?

Thoughts.

I think it unlikely that we take WR at #4 and #10 but not impossible. I would not be at all surprised if we take 2 WRs in our first 4 picks and as you mentioned our WR group is very weak but not obviously weak without looking at it. I could definitely see something like Okwenu #4  Burks/Wilson London #10 Tre McBride 35 best available WR.

From Saleh's interviews at the Senior Bowl I think they will draft a DL with the first 4 picks, and then offense with at least 2 if not 3, but the way the board aligns, offense could be biggest need and BPA each time we pick. I also wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Perion Winfrey picked instead of EDGE if available.

28 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I completely understand surrounding Zach with talent, but my point is, you dont need to spend 2 top 10 picks to do so, and especially not this year. "Missing" isnt the issue.  Spending 2 top 10 picks on the same position and missing, is a HUGE issue.  That logic would definitely apply to any position, but I think even more so at WR because the league has proven, you dont have to spend high picks to have a highly productive WR and the Jets have 2 very good WR's on the team already, with a ton of cap space and picks if they wanted to acquire one via trade.

I dont really understand your FA point.  Why are you an auto a loser by signing or trading for WR?  Not following.  And it's kind of beside the point  I was making.  Missing on 2 top 10 picks, 100% hurts more than 1 bad contract. 

Yes, missing on two top 10 picks would hurt alot, no question.

Yes, missing on FA WR's, especially a big $$ FA WR, would hurt alot too.

I disagree with your final statement.  I think London is a slug and I wouldn't touch him in the first round.

Interesting.  Here is a scouting report on London, right now the #1 prospect at WR on the site I frequent. 

It doesn't read as "slug" to me, and they list his 40 time at 4.48, not far from Wilson's 4.43:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Totally dominated in college in 2021 he looked like a man amongst boys - almost unstoppable at times
  • Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
  • Has a knack for getting open and is a quarterback's best friend - passers just need to toss the ball in his area and he'll come down with it.
  • In the run game, he is a strong and tough blocker and can easily chip a blitzing linebacker on the way to a receiving route
  • Has enough upper-body strength and tenacity to be very effective as a downfield blocker. Is not shy about taking on his man, provides some pop, and will open a running lane for his back at the next level.
  • Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.
  • Strong runner with the ball with enough agility to make defenders miss in the open field.
  • Has good, not great long speed but is top-notch going up to get a contented deep ball and regularly beets double coverage
  • Great mind more the game - has an amazing ability to find gaps in coverages
SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Comes off the snap high and upright, and doesn't get to top speed quickly. Not sudden or elusive.
  • Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
  • Not very quick off the line of scrimmage although this is more a function of his size
  • Hasn't had much experience out wide - played almost all of his snaps from the slot
SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY

London has had a totally dominating 2021 season where he showcased his immense talent. We regard him as the best possession receiver in the 2022 Draft - but to put him in the possession bracket is underselling his skills.
He uses his height to out jump and out muscle corners and despite not having elite speed he has the second gear to be a special deep threat. What's made his 2021 season even more impressive is that he has constantly faced double coverage but still put up record numbers.

To us Jake London looks a lot like a taller version of Keenan Allen, and it wouldn't surprise us if he has a similarly productive NFL career. He should be selected in the first half of the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft who will likely start as a rookie and potentially develop into a pro-bowl-level talent.

I like Garret Wilson, but do I like him in the top 10?  No.  I dont.  So that might be why we're disconnecting on this, I dont think this year's situation calls for it.

I'll put it this way, I do not accept another year with a 28th-32nd ranked Offense.

However we get there, 28th is 100% unacceptable and I want heads and blood (proverbially speaking) if we wind up there yet again.

So if there are other methods to salvage this endless rotting poopshow on an Offense, great.  

Personally, I think the FA Quick Fix idea is pure fantasy.  The real difference makers aren't coming within a mile of here, and the mid-tier guys we'll have to overpay to come here will suck out our Cap and not move the needle enough to have been worth it.  I don't think the top of this WR class is as risky as some do, especially these two (Wilson and London), both of whom should be sure thing long-term starters in this league based on what they do best.  

But ultimately, while I love this idea, I know JD is as unlikely to do this as he is to break the bank on Devonte Adams and actually land him.

But I swear, I can only handle so many years of being as pathetic on Offense in an Offense-driven league.  It's sickening.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Interesting.  Here is a scouting report on London, right now the #1 prospect at WR on the site I frequent. 

It doesn't read as "slug" to me, and they list his 40 time at 4.48, not far from Wilson's 4.43:

• Totally dominated in college in 2021 he looked like a man amongst boys - almost unstoppable at times
  • Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
  • Has a knack for getting open and is a quarterback's best friend - passers just need to toss the ball in his area and he'll come down with it.
  • In the run game, he is a strong and tough blocker and can easily chip a blitzing linebacker on the way to a receiving route
  • Has enough upper-body strength and tenacity to be very effective as a downfield blocker. Is not shy about taking on his man, provides some pop, and will open a running lane for his back at the next level.
  • Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.
  • Strong runner with the ball with enough agility to make defenders miss in the open field.
  • Has good, not great long speed but is top-notch going up to get a contented deep ball and regularly beets double coverage
  • Comes off the snap high and upright, and doesn't get to top speed quickly. Not sudden or elusive.
  • Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
  • Not very quick off the line of scrimmage although this is more a function of his size
  • Hasn't had much experience out wide - played almost all of his snaps from the slot

London has had a totally dominating 2021 season where he showcased his immense talent. We regard him as the best possession receiver in the 2022 Draft - but to put him in the possession bracket is underselling his skills.
He uses his height to out jump and out muscle corners and despite not having elite speed he has the second gear to be a special deep threat. What's made his 2021 season even more impressive is that he has constantly faced double coverage but still put up record numbers.

To us Jake London looks a lot like a taller version of Keenan Allen, and it wouldn't surprise us if he has a similarly productive NFL career. He should be selected in the first half of the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft who will likely start as a rookie and potentially develop into a pro-bowl-level talent.

I'll put it this way, I do not accept another year with a 28th-32nd ranked Offense.

However we get there, 28th is 100% unacceptable and I want heads and blood (proverbially speaking) if we wind up there yet again.

So if there are other methods to salvage this endless rotting poopshow on an Offense, great.  

Personally, I think the FA Quick Fix idea is pure fantasy.  The real difference makers aren't coming within a mile of here, and the mid-tier guys we'll have to overpay to come here will suck out our Cap and not move the needle enough to have been worth it.  I don't think the top of this WR class is as risky as some do, especially these two (Wilson and London), both of whom should be sure thing long-term starters in this league based on what they do best.  

But ultimately, while I love this idea, I know JD is as unlikely to do this as he is to break the bank on Devonte Adams and actually land him.

But I swear, I can only handle so many years of being as pathetic on Offense in an Offense-driven league.  It's sickening.

If the jets go wr in round 1 i don’t think it’s london, it’s someone like wilson.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think Douglas will either trade for a WR or sign one in free agency. I think the draft will be used to rebuild the defense. I believe 0 WRs will be drafted with high picks.

I could see this. But IMO JD will simply go with BPA- top guys on the board. So could be Hamilton, could be Ekwonu, could be a wild card we don't really expect right now- like Jermaine Johnson at 10?  Also think JD will be open to trade down.  

But as far as doubling up on WR in Rd. 1, def. not. And, like you said, very likely we don't take a WR in Rd. 1 at all. IMO we go Edge and O-line. Hopefully one of Thib or Hutch falls to us at 4 and Ekwonu drops to 10. But that is more of a dream scenario. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure I would go with 2 WR in the top 10, but either London or Wilson at 10 would greatly improve the WR corp. Outside of Chase, I would take either one over any WR last year. Drake reminds me of a Vincent Jackson, Wilson's comp that has been bouncing around is Diggs. Both are #1 WR potential, throw in Moore Berrios and Davis and that's a pretty pretty good group.

At 4, I would like either Hutch, Neal or Ikem. I would be shocked if not one of them is there at 4. You can address edge in either a move up into the 1st or let the board come to you.

• Upvote 1

In discussing WR quite a bit of late, specifically the Berrios issue, it's pretty clear......our WR room sucks today.  Davis (meh) and Moore (mostly hope).

Mims, bust.  Cole, gone.  Crowder, likely gone.  Berrios, maybe gone too.  The rest on our roster, unworthy of discussion.

We have a rookie, who had a piss poor year, in Wilson, and we're looking today at having very little to help him at the skill positions.

We're not signing one of the elite WR's, for many reasons stated elsewhere, but be assured, we are not signing Adams or Robinson or those kind of guys.  

So......how do we do the most we can to support Wilson, the KEY to this franchises immediate future?

I would offer up that drafting WR at BOTH #4 and #10 might be one way to really kick this Offense, and Wilson, into gear.

Ignoring trade downs (just for now), we could likely get the top 2 rated WR's in this draft class, and (I'd hope) cement WR as a strength for years to come.

Lets consider, and for giggles say we draft Garrett Wilson (an amazing route runner comps. to DC's McLaurin) and Drake London (a big, powerful WR, the best contested ball/possession guy in this class).

That would give us Davis/Moore/Wilson/London as our 4 WR set.  There is no universe wher ethat group should be a weakness, or that Wilson should not be 100% supported at WR with that group.

Yes, this would come at a cost, no edge at #4.  We'd have to go edge (perhaps) at the top of the 2nd, and maybe TE with the other 2nd.  D would suffer, and maybe have to be filled in via cheaper FA's.

Is there any argument that this is the way to go for this franchise, to take a huge step towards making the Jets (and Wilson) an Offensive team with real skill players around Wilson?

Thoughts.

no issue with using a top pick on a wr but from what i've read it's not a good one for that position.  plus it's supposed to be good for edge.  they could conceivably get the best wr and one of the top 2 edge guys.

It could only be justified in the future. It would be an AWFUL decision at the time. If your two WRs turned out to be Davante Adams and Ja'Marr Chase, you would look back at the picks being genius. 

The most likely of scenarios is a WR at 10, or later with a trade down. 

If JD drafted back to back WRs in round one, I'm buying a plane and a big banner. 

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The offense only needs a WR, RG, and TE. All positions that can easily be filled in free agency. The defense is the big problems that needs a major face lift. i think most people are going to be in for a surprise when the draft is heavily focused on defense

Yeah I fundamentally disagree with you there.

I think the Jets need 2 WRs, and 2 TEs. Our WR corps is deceptively thin and bad. Without moves we could easily have a WR room of Corey Davis and Moore next year.  Cole -gone (underperformed) Crowder -gone Berrios -gone (contract) Mims stays Mims...

We literally have nothing at TE

Yes we need a RG but our T position is very tenuous as well, which is why Okwenu would make a lot of sense.

If we had a more stable situation on offense and an established QB (even if he was a JAG) then yeah Defense makes sense.

However IMO Development of Zach is >>>>>>>>>>way more important than anything else at this point, and our offense is missing probably 5 core starters.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I have yet to see any film with London, open.  Defenders stick to him.  He doesnt get separation.  He's a pure 5/50 guy.  It's like Mims all over again but at least Mims had film of him abusing defenders off the line, especially at the Senior Bowl.  I'd move London to TE, to be honest.  I dont see him getting open on the outside in the NFL.  Wilson is my favorite WR in this draft and even he scares me at #10.

Overall, I understand your frustration and get it, 100%.  Personally, I dont think the offense is that far off from being very good.  I think Wilson was holding it back in a major way.  Look at how they produced when he was injured, didnt matter the QB, the offense moved the ball at will and scored points.  Another WR, a legit TE threat and I think the offense is more than capable of being middle of pack or higher, assuming Wilson figures it out.  

It's ironic, if you recall, the narrative prior to this season was Wilson didnt have the luxury of the "weaponz" excuse, yet here we are totally blaming, the "weaponz". 

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Overall, I understand your frustration and get it, 100%. 

I appreciate that, thank you.

Personally, I dont think the offense is that far off from being very good.  I think Wilson was holding it back in a major way. 

I don't disagree.  In respect to Max's request, I try not to say it alot.

With that said, if I have doubts about Wilson, the best way to test them, and maybe overcome his deficiencies, is to give him a great supporting cast of skill players to help bail him out till he figures out how to be what he can be.  That is what I want to see JD do.

It's ironic, if you recall, the narrative prior to this season was Wilson didnt have the luxury of the "weaponz" excuse, yet here we are totally blaming, the "weaponz". 

I'd put it a bit differently.  For Wilson to have the best chance to not bust, the more weapons we give him, the better.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no issue with using a top pick on a wr but from what i've read it's not a good one for that position.  plus it's supposed to be good for edge.  they could conceivably get the best wr and one of the top 2 edge guys.

That is what (in the real world) I expect/hope they do.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm tired of FA never-gonna-happen fantasies (we're gonna sign Devonte Adams!), homer fantasies (Moore is totally a reliable elite #1 WR) and second tier Draft half measures (Mims is really a 1st round talent, really) when it comes to our Offense, especially in this era of the NFL, and especially given our QB needs all the help he can get.

Signing some mid-grade WR and drafting one later on, maybe, is not going to make the Jets Offense competitive.  Davis and Moore are not "studs" in the way that drives a top 10 Offense.  Not alone.  And Wilson isn't close to the kind of "stud" who makes average WR's into studs.  Not yet.

If we blow our picks "rebuilding the Defense" and leave our #1 draft pick QB on a fragile, talent-deficient Offense, again, it's going to be a sh*tshow.  This Defense, even if top 15 (a massive leap from now) isn't going to win us 10 games.  And if our Offense remains near the bottom of the NFL, we're basically writing off 2022 as another lost season of "rebuilding".

For once, I'd like to see this team make a big, bold, leap to make an effort be field a real, legitimate Offense.  To support Wilson, and give him the very best chance to succeed.  To score points, and win by scoring points.  And being exciting.  And interesting, in ways we've rarely seen as Jets Fans (2015, the first two Sanchez years, one year with Vinny, the mid-80's, Namath....).

My nightmare is we draft and a Safety, an Edge, a LB and a TE as our top 4 picks.  And what scares me is I think that is a real possibility.

AMEN!!

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If London runs 4.48 he’ll be the first WR drafted.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

My ideal scenario on how they attack the WR position is for them to go after either Ridley or Cooper and resign Berrios to a somewhat reasonable deal (not $9m a year). The WR corps I think would actually be one of the top in the league:

1) Ridley/Cooper

2) Moore

3) Corey Davis

4) Berrios

5) Mims

Cooper ($20M) and Davis ($13M) would make a pretty expensive WR dual that may under perform. Plus Cooper would eat $16M in our available $48M in cap space. Not that would do so but it would be easier to structure him in as a FA then through trade if that's the route you desire to lower that cap hit.  But at that point you'll have to give him some guarentee money which doesn't sound too promising.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, I have been as negative as anyone here on this team but this is a new level. I found this so depressing, I couldn't  get past the halfway point of the OP. Spending the first two picks on WR's is loony.  Our WR looked bad most of the season because of Wilson, not the other way around. Moore to me was a pleasant surprise. He showed up in his rookie year in a position that normally takes 2 or 3 years for a player to develop  into. Carter is also going to help in the passing game. There is no need to roll the dice twice at WR. There are plenty of UFA WR's. I'm actually hoping we get Scantling. He would be a #1  if he didn't  play opposite  Adams. The only skill spot I would be ok with in the first is TE because we have literally nothing after Kroft. The first two picks should be LB, Edge, or DB (not necessarily in that order)

MVS is a role player.  He had multiple opportunities in GB to be the 2nd option behind Adams and never came through and that was with one of the best QBs in the league. He has never caught 40 passes in a season.   He is not in the same discussion as Davis, let alone to be compared to the top receivers in the league.  

The '21 Jets offensive skill positions were not elite by any stretch, but they weren't bad either. I think what we need more than anything else is for Zach to be better. With how wide open the passing game has become, I don't think it's necessary to have an elite #1 WR anymore (obviously I would love one, but I see expensive opportunity costs in acquiring one). WR is one of the few positions that doesn't suffer from scarcity, and is also a positions which requires time to develop. There is no Megatron or Julio in this draft. Therefore, I don't want JD using either of the 1sts on WR, let alone both.

Putting finances and chemistry on the side for a moment, I'd much rather use FA to help the O by signing Njoku @ TE, Chark and Robinson @ WR (allow Cole and Crowder to walk), and use the two #1s either on EDGE+Trade down, or both on EDGE. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Not a good comparison.  We have had 2 picks in the 1st round last year and this.  That enables you do stack a position and still address other issues.  

there are 8 positions not counting QB. there is never a good reason to stack 3 picks at one position and ignore the other 7. so in 3 years with 5 1st rd picks you want to make 3 OL and 1 on QB. and the other one maybe a WR? so you ignore 6 positions when you could have ignored 4. 

and if Zach turns out to be good hes going to make alot of money and your not going to be able to afford all 3 of them anyway. most likely we would get rid of 2 of them. its a waste of draft picks

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

1) Ridley/Cooper

2) Moore

3) Corey Davis

4) Berrios

5) Mims

Mims probably won't make the team next year.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

MVS is a role player.  He had multiple opportunities in GB to be the 2nd option behind Adams and never came through and that was with one of the best QBs in the league. He has never caught 40 passes in a season.   He is not in the same discussion as Davis, let alone to be compared to the top receivers in the league.  

He is the second option  in GB and is a legit deep threat. Once again you have no idea what you are talking about like when you said Mixon has been a disappointment  until this season. Davis can't  hold Scantling's jock. 

• Haha 1