Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If there’s one thing that’s become clear with both Douglas and Saleh, it’s that neither guy pretends that they expect to win any time soon. They don’t so fan service even a little bit. They’re just so satisfied with minute, incremental improvement and they’re both going to run out of time unless Zach Wilson becomes elite.

zach is the key regardless. in the league today you can have a top D and lose. we gotta hope Zach plays much improved 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If there’s one thing that’s become clear with both Douglas and Saleh, it’s that neither guy pretends that they expect to win any time soon. They don’t so fan service even a little bit. They’re just so satisfied with minute, incremental improvement and they’re both going to run out of time unless Zach Wilson becomes elite.

Jets have as fickle as any fanbase in the league.

People can wax lyrical about Douglas’ approach all they want if the Jets start this season like any of the last three years then they’ll be calling for his head. You already seen a substantial part of the fanbase turn on Saleh during the lowest parts of last season. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Just hit on the draft, and he'll be OK. The team is not there to be over paying high priced veterans, let alone persuade them to join.

There is risk to both sides. 

the good teams  are always at the cap. The jets always have the most room and 3 wins

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

This. 

Yes, the cap is stretchable, but you don’t stretch it to get close, you stretch it when you’re already close and looking to get over the top. If Zach puts up just league average numbers for a starting QB this year, next year the bank will be broken. 

People do not think that the Rams will be a consistent winner.  They achieved their objective of winning the SB in their home stadium.  

The Ravens, Steelers or Packers have not won the SB lately, but they are always competitive.  I think that is what the Johnsons want, for now.  

The Patriots have managed similarly but had Brady so won lots of SBs.  When they lost Brady they panicked.  Watch them to back to their traditional modus operandi.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Robert Woods would be a great addition to this team.  Let him and Corey fight out for a spot next year.  

Elijah Moore is great, but for some reason I think his over/under games played/season is 11.

JD basically has viable starters at least as good as last years at virtually all of the positions.  LB and WR could still use help unless you are counting on Mims.  

Woods adds a tremendous amount of value to this team. 

Given Woods contract, age and torn ACL, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy JD has been targeting. 

Not to mention, Woods had 70 or fewer yards in 7 of 9 games last year. And that was playing with Stafford in a high powered offense where the defense was focused on Kupp. 

Woods is good. But we are talking about trading picks and taking on his 15 million dollar a year contract for a player that will turn 30 in a few days. 

I agree we need another weapon for Wilson, but I think that happens via the draft like we did last year with Moore/Carter. And if you want to add a vet, guys like Chark/Juju/Fuller are younger and cheaper options. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This. 

Yes, the cap is stretchable, but you don’t stretch it to get close, you stretch it when you’re already close and looking to get over the top. If Zach puts up just league average numbers for a starting QB this year, next year the bank will be broken. 

Agree. Wilson shows something and they’ve got a three year window to get loose. If not there’s a chance somebody hits the reset button - not sure the Johnson’s want Douglas to be that guy unless the team’s around .500 despite poor QB play, and even then I’m not positive.

I’d like to see them acquire extra 2023 capital anyway but it’d be a nice hedge to have on Wilson’s level of play.

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Ok, Darnold is not 10% of the QB Watson is, but has not sexually assaulted or harassed anyone, at least to our knowledge.  

Guys like Tepper don’t guarantee that type of money to degenerates.  

I missed where its a proven fact that Watson sexually assaulted people 

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

Saints were over the cap yesterday, didn’t cut anyone, have room for a star QB contract today 

JD: my price is my price 

I agree with you in this point, but im also with JD in this one theres no one really worth break the bank for in this FA, Cooper was the only one that i would've taken a shot 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Given Woods contract, age and torn ACL, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy JD has been targeting. 

Not to mention, Woods had 70 or fewer yards in 7 of 9 games last year. And that was playing with Stafford in a high powered offense where the defense was focused on Kupp. 

Woods is good. But we are talking about trading picks and taking on his 15 million dollar a year contract for a player that will turn 30 in a few days. 

I agree we need another weapon for Wilson, but I think that happens via the draft like we did last year with Moore/Carter. And if you want to add a vet, guys like Chark/Juju/Fuller are younger and cheaper options. 

Woods isnt coming here.  We are not bringing anyone in who is going to take snaps away from Garrett Wilson.  Davis and Moore are the starters.  Berrios will be in the slot and Wilson takes every snap when either Davis or Moore need a blow.

There are no other snaps to go around for a veteran receiver who wants playing time.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Woods isnt coming here.  We are not bringing anyone in who is going to take snaps away from Garrett Wilson.  Davis and Moore are the starters.  Berrios will be in the slot and Wilson takes every snap when either Davis or Moore need a blow.

There are no other snaps to go around for a veteran receiver who wants playing time.

you gonna draft a guy at 10 and have him on the sidelines except to give Corey Davis a break... ugh don't think that's a ringing endorsement for G Wilson. 

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If there’s one thing that’s become clear with both Douglas and Saleh, it’s that neither guy pretends that they expect to win any time soon. They don’t do fan service even a little bit. They’re just so satisfied with minute, incremental improvement and they’re both going to run out of time unless Zach Wilson becomes elite.

I'm sorry, but what kind of moves would you make to win next year? In order for the Jets to stand any chance 2-3 years from now, they have to build this way. And they have to hit their draft picks. That's it. No one does it any other way. They hit draft picks then they buy more expensive players. And that's the only option, because they aren't going to win next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

lol love how you say it like he's already on the team. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The one thing about ALL of those teams making big moves for splashy players is that they are all ready to win right now.  The Jets are getting there but there are too many question marks around the defense and QB to trade off premium assets and give premium cap space to 1 player.  

And the sad truth about the AFC West is that they're all going to beat up on each other and most likely 2 of them will not make the playoffs next year.

The Jags are ready to win now?

11 minutes ago, Stark said:

you gonna draft a guy at 10 and have him on the sidelines except to give Corey Davis a break... ugh don't think that's a ringing endorsement for G Wilson. 

Corey Davis will get hurt.  He always does.  So Wilson is going to play a ton.  

But that will be the plan to start the season.  We have the benefit of easing Wilson in.  But who knows.  There could be packages where Moore slides into the slot and Wilson plays on the outside with Davis on the other side in 3 wides.

Wislon will be out there a ton.  But theres no chance a veteran wr who wants to play a ton of snaps is coming here.  We have that guy in Corey Davis already.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

lol love how you say it like he's already on the team. 

more the fact that a top 10 draft pick isn't going to be able to beat out JAG Davis or Berrios to start... I mean a top 10 pick .... sheesh 

the bar is so low for players the jets draft.

17 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Ok, jokes aside - honest response.

There were two options going into this season, as I see it.  Do exactly what they're doing, and build "the right wayTM" around Zach Wilson, hoping he does in fact grow into the player they drafted him to be, or YOLO it, go after a bunch of big names, and trade off Wilson after trying to secure Rodgers/Wilson/Watson.  Half measures is what we've been used to, and it's no surprise it hasn't worked.  Add to that, those three guys (with Rodgers returning to GB) have the clout at this point to decide where they play, and I think it's safe to consider that Rodgers wasn't going to come here, Watson is being traded out of the conference, and that left Wilson.  Additionally, Devante Adams wasn't coming here.  So that big fish was out too.  Essentially, we either land Russell Wilson, or there's no other path to compete in 2022.

Even with all that, by not making a big move, our incremental growth can be accelerated, with two top 10 picks.  We've solidified the offensive line, so we should come out of this with at worst two of these three: top edge, top DB, top WR, and still have two good 2nd round picks as well.  Personally, I have faith that we'll do at least reasonably well with those picks, and next offseason, if Wilson bombs, I have no issue taking our 2023 top 10 pick, and going after whatever QB might be dangling.  Hell, I'd have brought in someone this offseason that could beat him out too, but that player wouldn't make the Jets a competitor in todays AFC.

Long story short, I'm on board with the plan, even if I don't trust/believe in Wilson.  I guess I just don't see the alternative.

Agreed. Even if Wilson busts, if the surrounding team is strong enough they can remain competitive and go with a veteran QB in 2023 or pick another QB in what is supposed to be a strong QB draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

if berrios is the starting slot receiver on this team, they're in trouble.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

You’ve got to do a better job of getting better. 

has he ?

addressing needs isn’t anywhere near enough because all the teams do it obviously. 

I fear the epilogue on this is going to be that it was a weak year in the draft for offense, so teams spent to keep their guys, trades were the best option to acquire difference makers and value joe was happy to stay under the cap and pat himself on the back for filling potholes when the AFC became murky for the good teams let alone the 4 win teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1