JD's Wrong headed and Stubborn Approach

33 minutes ago, Maxman said:

OMG!

Jets fans rooting for the Jets, ON A JETS SITE.

STOP THE PRESSES.  ALERT THE AUTHORITIES.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Not sure how a Jets fan site has people rooting for the Jets on it.  WE WILL GET THIS FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

I have a suggestion for how to fix things.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i guess no coffee for joe d

lol at thinking joe d, or any GM, is going to sell tyreek hill on living in their city when his own agent lives in miami and tyreek already lives in florida

maybe joe could have taken him on a tour of the empire state building and on a circle liner around manhattan...

And don’t forget Hamilton!

Miami has nicer weather and you can train outdoors all year. The beach. Manhattan is fun for 20 something’s looking to go to happy hour after work. For a pro athlete, Miami could be more appealing. How many steakhouses can you go to?

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And don’t forget Hamilton!

Miami has nicer weather and you can train outdoors all year. The beach. Manhattan is fun for 20 something’s looking to go to happy hour after work. For a pro athlete, Miami could be more appealing. How many steakhouses can you go to?

@The Crusher can we get a ruling?

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You are what your record says you are.

Faith and hope is one thing.  I absolutely hope JD's plan comes to fruition, because I do live his trades, and I do like his "build from the draft" philosophy.

But the record speaks for itself.  Most of his FA moves have failed.  His first draft is mostly fails.  His QB was a fail his rookie year.  And he's got a 4 and a 2 win season as his resume so far, if we (as his fans demand) don't count his late-hire-date Gase year as "his" record.

So, with that said, we all know he's not going anywhere.  He's got 2022, at minimum.  He almost assuredly has 2023 as well before Ownership would even contemplate a change.

So lets see what he puts on the field in 2022, and go from there.  If we're a 4 win team again, that is unacceptable, and he'll be on the hotseat.  If he's a 7 or 8 or 9 win team, then frankly he's not likely to be under much pressure in 2023 beyond "keep improving".

So, we'll see.  He is a hell of a trader, but as with most of our recent GM's, I don't think he's a draft whiz (or our scouting dept. sucks, always hard to parse out who really is to blame, even if the GM is ultimately responsible regardless).

I don't see FA fails when they are meant to be guys who come in and do their jobs, not star players.

You draft star players.  You overpay for a name in F/A, like Tannebaum did, like Idzik did, like Mac did.  

Lets also not forget he has been a GM for only three years.  Not sure about most people on this board, but when I started my career as a young lad, I didn't do everything right the first year.  

Again, lets see how the draft plays out and what our record will be.  The AFC has gotten ridiculously tough.  We may not have a winning record, but if we are around 7-8 wins, Wilson is showing he belongs, and we play tough each week, another step in the right direction.  If we win 4 games, Wilson regresses, and we are being blown out constantly, then JD is on the hot seat, as will be his coaching staff. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I don't see FA fails when they are meant to be guys who come in and do their jobs, not star players.

You draft star players.  You overpay for a name in F/A, like Tannebaum did, like Idzik did, like Mac did.  

Lets also not forget he has been a GM for only three years.  Not sure about most people on this board, but when I started my career as a young lad, I didn't do everything right the first year.  

All good unless you are a surgeon or a pilot.

What's the old saying?  If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not the sport for you.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There are people who are on this board who would rather live in Jacksonville because their 120 million would be taxed less than it would be in Manhattan.  What's the point of having a 120 million if you have to live in Jaxonville or Miami.  It's a nice town to have a second home to go to for a couple of months a year.  It doesn't even remotely compare to being rich in NYC.   

This might be news to you but people in the world, enjoy different things out life.  I know, I know, it's pretty crazy to think that way but believe it or not, some people dont like the city.  And, this might be shocking, but there are some people in this world that dont like cold weather.  This also might be something you didnt know but some people enjoy the fact they can be in the water year round fishing, surfing, boating, chillin, etc.  There are even some people in this country who enjoy playing sports year round, some that you cant unfortunately play say in the snow.  Which, is ironically another thing some people dont like, in case you didnt know.

In fact, I know someone who would rather grovel at the feet of meth heads in Jacksonville, FL than live rich in disgusting filthy miserable pretentious hell on earth called NYC.  He would view waking up every morning in NYC as the worst punishment you could ever give an individual.  And in my earthly education, I've come to find out, he's not alone in feeling this way.  

The moral to this story is, different strokes for different folks, ya feel me?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

This might be news to you but people in the world, enjoy different things out life.  I know, I know, it's pretty crazy to think that way but believe it or not, some people dont like the city.  And, this might be shocking, but there are some people in this world that dont like cold weather.  This also might be something you didnt know but some people enjoy the fact they can be in the water, year round fishing, surfing, boating, chillin, etc.  There are even some people in this country who enjoy playing sports year round, some that you cant unfortunately play say in the snow.  Which, is ironically another thing some people dont like, in case you didnt know.

In fact, I know someone who would rather grovel at the feet of meth heads in Jacksonville, FL than live rich in disgusting filthy miserable pretentious hell on earth called NYC.  He would view waking up every morning in NYC as the worst punishment you could ever give an individual.  And in my earthly education, I've come to find out, he's not alone in feeling this way.  

Some of us like to play ball in a deserted  park by the house with our canine friends in the early a.m. and not get ticketed pal

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This might be news to you but people in the world, enjoy different things out life.  I know, I know, it's pretty crazy to think that way but believe it or not, some people dont like the city.  And, this might be shocking, but there are some people in this world that dont like cold weather.  This also might be something you didnt know but some people enjoy the fact they can be in the water year round fishing, surfing, boating, chillin, etc.  There are even some people in this country who enjoy playing sports year round, some that you cant unfortunately play say in the snow.  Which, is ironically another thing some people dont like, in case you didnt know.

So my wanting to move out of the northeast and live in about 900 sq ft on Oahu is not crazy?

by the way, these jd threads are hysterical.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i guess no coffee for joe d

lol at thinking joe d, or any GM, is going to sell tyreek hill on living in their city when his own agent lives in miami and tyreek already lives in florida

maybe joe could have taken him on a tour of the empire state building and on a circle liner around manhattan...

So why try and trade for him if he's not going to be happy?  Amazingly he did build a house in Missouri even though he live in Florida.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. 

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse, but once again JD didn't want to overpay. But here is where JD and his cult following get wrong. We stink. We have won 6 games in the last two seasons. We have a question mark at QB. It's NJ. (No offense to some of you) We have a terrible owner and reputation. It all adds up to the "jets tax" as its known. FA's also are usually not wanting to come here unless they PAY (they did overpay Uzomah and he made the move) 

This is the critical mistake JD makes, he doesn't realize the Jets tax and thinks he still is at some respected franchise like Baltimore. The fact is to be picky, to make hard offers and then withdraw, you need to have something to back it up. The Jets, and JD, a first time GM who has done nothing but lose so far, do not have anything to back their hard negotiating tactics up with. 

Now JD has improved this team, hard not to when you look at our CFL team from last year. But when you look around the AFC, are we even close? We are missing the playmaker impacts we need to win football games. JD will need to pay some players for the Jets to go 10-7 or 11-5 and start to rebuild this teams reputation. A team doesnt gain respectability with "cap space" or "thrifting teams with trades" they turn into Ashyton Davis. Teams gain respectability by winning seasons. 

I hope JD and this stubborn front office re-thinks their approach. 

He didn't want to be a Jet, Kevin. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This team is on track to finish 4th in their division next year but thats ok with you

We have essentially 2 entire drafts coming up and there will be further moves. Not sure Hill would have propelled us just by himself. Don't think there are really any quick fixes. I think the additions so far are pretty significant, obviously you do not.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Two different issues.  You don't want him but JD did badly.  JD was obviously willing to give him a huge deal and give up draft capital.  My point isn't that Hill would have been a great move.  My point is if JD wanted him as bad as he did, get off your fat ass, get on a plane and sell the deal.

He wanted to play in Miami.  Miami won NJ lost.  Does Hill even know how great he could live in NY and what that his ability to earn if he's great in NY compared to Miami?  Did anyone from the Jets even try to sell him on NY over Miami? 

Anyone who owns a business that runs on sales knows that their are a million reasons for their competitor to get the order.  It's not just about the trade value, the contract value it's a sell job.  The metro NYC area has a lifestyle that if you're rich Miami can't even begin to approach.  It also has earning potential out of football that's off the charts.  

There are people who are on this board who would rather live in Jacksonville because their 120 million would be taxed less than it would be in Manhattan.  What's the point of having a 120 million if you have to live in Jaxonville or Miami.  It's a nice town to have a second home to go to for a couple of months a year.  It doesn't even remotely compare to being rich in NYC.   

When you have 120 million, you can enjoy Manhattan with a quick private Jet trip.  You don't need to live here year round and deal with the traffic and cold weather. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When you have 120 million, you can enjoy Manhattan with a quick private Jet trip.  You don't need to live here year round and deal with the traffic and cold weather. 

Worked/lived a decade there. A long weekend in the city and going back to warm weather is nice change. 

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse,

So basically you wanted JD to massively overpay for Hill just so that your 12 hour Sunday Jet Experience this year is marginally better? Yeah, this is why we don't have Season Ticketholders as GMs. 

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. 

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse, but once again JD didn't want to overpay. But here is where JD and his cult following get wrong. We stink. We have won 6 games in the last two seasons. We have a question mark at QB. It's NJ. (No offense to some of you) We have a terrible owner and reputation. It all adds up to the "jets tax" as its known. FA's also are usually not wanting to come here unless they PAY (they did overpay Uzomah and he made the move) 

This is the critical mistake JD makes, he doesn't realize the Jets tax and thinks he still is at some respected franchise like Baltimore. The fact is to be picky, to make hard offers and then withdraw, you need to have something to back it up. The Jets, and JD, a first time GM who has done nothing but lose so far, do not have anything to back their hard negotiating tactics up with. 

Now JD has improved this team, hard not to when you look at our CFL team from last year. But when you look around the AFC, are we even close? We are missing the playmaker impacts we need to win football games. JD will need to pay some players for the Jets to go 10-7 or 11-5 and start to rebuild this teams reputation. A team doesnt gain respectability with "cap space" or "thrifting teams with trades" they turn into Ashyton Davis. Teams gain respectability by winning seasons. 

Why are you making sh*t it up?

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

No

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I agree with your premise, but there is a misconception about where the Jets players live.  They don't live in NYC. The Jets facility is in Morris County NJ, about 40 miles from NYC. It is a wealthy suburban location that is nothing like NYC.  It is close enough to take advantage of the city.  Your point about likes and dislikes is perfect though and I have no idea why the Kevins and Biggs of the world don't realize that you can't convince somebody what lifestyle, climate, atmosphere, location is right for them.  The Jets lost an OL in free agency a few years back because he wanted to be somewhere where he could go hunting and fishing.  John Tavares left the Islanders a few years ago to play in his hometown of Toronto.  

There are some things that are immutable.  Hill lives in and loves Miami the city.  There is nothing JD could have done to change that and anyone who thinks otherwise is simply ignorant.  In a prior job a company I worked for was relocating to Texas.  I loved my job, the company, the work , my manager and my co-workers.  I didn't go.  I found a job so I did not have to leave the area.    My entire family is from and lives in the NYC area.  I didn't want to take my family away from family.  More importantly, I simply wanted no part of living in  and raising my family in Texas.  It just wasn't for me and my family for a number of reasons (climate, culture, aesthetics, lifestyle etc) And I was with these people day after day and nothing they could say or do would have changed my mind.  Did they "fail?" 

• Upvote 2

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. I hope JD and this stubborn front office re-thinks their approach. 

You wanted Leveon Bell. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So why try and trade for him if he's not going to be happy?  Amazingly he did build a house in Missouri even though he live in Florida.

i don't know if he had any interest in living in NY.  maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  what i do know (from all reports) is that he picked miami over the jets.

the jets made a play for him.  they offered an attractive deal to the chiefs and reportedly offered hill a similar contract to the one the dolphins did.

it can't hurt to try.  maybe if the dolphins weren't involved, hill would have picked the jets.  maybe he has zero interest in NY.  i don't know.

joe made a play for hill.  in the end it didn't work.  but i find it hard to fault joe here for not landing hill when it seems the final decision was hill's.  it's naive to think that a strong sales pitch from joe would have changed hill's mind.  it doesn't work that way.  hill had leverage since he only had a year left on his contract. 

as to the house in missouri, he was DRAFTED by the chiefs.  he didn't get to pick where he lived at that time.  as a soon-to-be-free agent, he did get a choice.  how is that not clear???

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I hear but but Jax?

SO many nicer parts of Florida lol

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Fair enough, but I don't agree.  They were brought in to play, and the played poorly.  That's a fail.

Good players come from both FA and the Draft.  There is no exclusivity to obtaining them one way or the other.  You (or I) may have a preference, but that's all it is, a preference.

Lets also not forget he has been a GM for only three years.

Two years.  His first year doesn't count, or so I'm told.  

Not sure about most people on this board, but when I started my career as a young lad, I didn't do everything right the first year.  

GM is not a "learn while you earn" job.  That learning is supposed to be done at the lower front office positions before becoming a GM. 

There is no mulligan period for NFL GM's.

Again, lets see how the draft plays out and what our record will be.

Isn't that what I said when I said "So lets see what he puts on the field in 2022, and go from there."?

The AFC has gotten ridiculously tough.  We may not have a winning record, but if we are around 7-8 wins, Wilson is showing he belongs, and we play tough each week, another step in the right direction.  If we win 4 games, Wilson regresses, and we are being blown out constantly, then JD is on the hot seat, as will be his coaching staff. 

That's exactly what I said.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jd is doing a great job by Woody's standards. Keep the team under the cap, sign cheap bums like tevin Coleman etc 

Winners do not get paid any more than losers. Woody just needs jd to keep the lights on while he buys Chelsea. 

Amazing that this stupid narrative is being pushed by you while discussing a player we were prepared to pay 30 million dollars per year.

Even more amazing is that you continue to peddle this nonsense despite having it dissected and picked apart every single time you post it, as if it hasn’t been dismantled a million times.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Total assumption that we couldn't sign him to a long term deal.  Are you defending JD or do you think he's incompetent to get a deal with a player he's trading for?

assumption? the guy didnt want to come here. you dont risk losing 5 draft picks for a one year rental.

plus he gets 53 mil at signing which happens now. 

lets see, Hill goes to the Jets but doesnt want to be there so he doesnt sign a contract now which is the same as Miami OR go to Miami where he wants to go and sign today and get 53 mil today. 

plus if Hill came here and doesnt sign and gets hurt he loses alot of money. 

seems like a no brainer for him to go to Miami and a no brainer for JD to not make the trade on a assumption he can sign him next year.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I'm actually super curious what you think is better about being rich in NYC than in Miami for someone the age of an NFL player?

I was thinking about this earlier today, and I'm someone who's lived in NYC, now in the suburbs outside it, and wouldn't personally move to Miami, but I honestly don't know what you're offering Tyreek Hill in Manhattan that he's not getting in Miami, with warmer weather and better beach access.

The things I like about New York City, and NY Metro aren't all that impressive, I'd imagine, to a multimillionaire in his 20s.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

It has been probably stated 100 times that the addition of draft picks was irrelevant. Simply not going to rehash again.

maybe if jd went 40 million per year for 4 years all 160 guaranteed and all you can eat at California kitchen for the life of the contract - that would have sealed the deal.