JD's Wrong headed and Stubborn Approach

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Lol the people who have been on this forum know I’m a fan and some know me from games. Im not worried but what people say but you are right….teams been a disaster for 11 years but Im supposed to be all hopeful! 

I just feel again the Jets are yet again falling behind other teams in the AFC via FA

That's called the circle of losing. The sad truth is that bad teams won't get good through FA, they have to get good through the draft. Good FA players won't sign with a crappy team, and if you don't have a good drafter you won't have a good team

From what I have seen this draft will determine what type of drafter JD is.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I'm actually super curious what you think is better about being rich in NYC than in Miami for someone the age of an NFL player?

I was thinking about this earlier today, and I'm someone who's lived in NYC, now in the suburbs outside it, and wouldn't personally move to Miami, but I honestly don't know what you're offering Tyreek Hill in Manhattan that he's not getting in Miami, with warmer weather and better beach access.

The things I like about New York City, and NY Metro aren't all that impressive, I'd imagine, to a multimillionaire in his 20s.

Obviously most of my shtick was tongue and cheek but I'm going to give you an answer.

You have kids in public schools in Florida?  Most NFL players have families.  CT and NJ rank 2nd and 3rd behind MA.   Florida ranks 22.  North Carolina 30, Georgia 34, South Carolina 43.

I just moved back from Scottsdale after 8 years there.  Great weather, hiking, golf close to CA and MX.  I would never raise kids in AZ.  The schools are awful.

You're talking about NFL players on their second contract looking for a home with good schools for their kids and lots of experiences they can have with their kids.  I grew up in the burbs in the 60's when nobody had a lot of money.  The public schools were great and my parents were able to drag me into the city and take me to museums, theatre, book stores for very little money.  I went to Met games and the Worlds fair by myself on public transportation and it was cheap.  Now it's pretty expensive but were talking about guys with big money.  There are a lot of things NYC has to offer and the suburbs have to offer that can't be had anywhere else.  

Some one brought up boating.  I sail in the LI sound and up into New Englans and the Maine coast every summer.  It's as good as it gets.  There's great fishing, beautiful golf courses, beaches...

I get it when you get older it's easier to live in other parts of the country.  When you have kids it's not about easy, it's about grinding and being an example and doing the best you can for your family.  Doing stuff with your kids and exposing them to alll kinds of activities including great art, food, schools and a world view that they simply won't get in other places.  Granted Miami is a very diverse city.  It's still not a place that I would want to raise a family. 

We're talking about professional athletes.  Guys who are at the top of their profession, big earners.   In the metro NYC area the professionals are generally top shelf.   They have kids and their kids will  network with them.   NFL players are going to get access to people most of us can't dream of getting in a room with.   The access to business outside of football is insane.  It's just a different scale in the metro NYC area.  

I thought it was a fantastic place to grow up in.  Both of my parents are gone but we had so many shared outings.  I just think it's a fantastic place.  

On a serious note Hill going to Miami instead of NY is the Dolphins gain and Miami's loss.  NYC is better off without him.  The Jets on the other hand...

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

The cheats rebuild was 1 off season. It’s actually possible. They are back on track 

They're gonna suck next year. They spent all their money last offseason and couldn't do crap this year.

Plus, they never went below 7 wins. They never went into a rebuild, they went into a replacement

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Obviously most of my shtick was tongue and cheek but I'm going to give you an answer.

You have kids in public schools in Florida?  Most NFL players have families.  CT and NJ rank 2nd and 3rd behind MA.   Florida ranks 22.  North Carolina 30, Georgia 34, South Carolina 43.

I just moved back from Scottsdale after 8 years there.  Great weather, hiking, golf close to CA and MX.  I would never raise kids in AZ.  The schools are awful.

You're talking about NFL players on their second contract looking for a home with good schools for their kids and lots of experiences they can have with their kids.  I grew up in the burbs in the 60's when nobody had a lot of money.  The public schools were great and my parents were able to drag me into the city and take me to museums, theatre, book stores for very little money.  I went to Met games and the Worlds fair by myself on public transportation and it was cheap.  Now it's pretty expensive but were talking about guys with big money.  There are a lot of things NYC has to offer and the suburbs have to offer that can't be had anywhere else.  

Some one brought up boating.  I sail in the LI sound and up into New Englans and the Maine coast every summer.  It's as good as it gets.  There's great fishing, beautiful golf courses, beaches...

I get it when you get older it's easier to live in other parts of the country.  When you have kids it's not about easy, it's about grinding and being an example and doing the best you can for your family.  Doing stuff with your kids and exposing them to alll kinds of activities including great art, food, schools and a world view that they simply won't get in other places.  Granted Miami is a very diverse city.  It's still not a place that I would want to raise a family. 

We're talking about professional athletes.  Guys who are at the top of their profession, big earners.   In the metro NYC area the professionals are generally top shelf.   They have kids and their kids will  network with them.   NFL players are going to get access to people most of us can't dream of getting in a room with.   The access to business outside of football is insane.  It's just a different scale in the metro NYC area.  

I thought it was a fantastic place to grow up in.  Both of my parents are gone but we had so many shared outings.  I just think it's a fantastic place.  

On a serious note Hill going to Miami instead of NY is the Dolphins gain and Miami's loss.  NYC is better off without him.  The Jets on the other hand...

I mean, overall I agree with you... For me.  For you.  Public schools are a good reason why I'm here - but I'm slowly inching towards 40.  I'm not sure Tyreek Hill and I have a lot in common, and he can send his kids to whatever private school is in the area, and while I haven't done the research, certainly I imagine there are some good ones.

I just don't see those considerations you mentioned being a huge factor for the people we're actually talking about.

• Upvote 1

JD is building through the draft. Thats probably why he was unwilling to part ways with his first round picks, even though the chiefs took the offer of second rounders and a third anyway. I believe that is a winning long term strategy. I believe he is a good evaluator of talent. After the 2020 draft I had my doubts but he knocked it out of the park with the 2021 draft. The Jets do not need to pay some sort of made up 'tax' for Free Agents. They should be signing players to fair deals who want to be here. And yes, to attract better FAs they need to draft some good players and start winning games. I'm confident they will if they can put a relatively healthy season together. The idea that NY is somehow a bad place to play because its cold is absurd. NY is actually a great destination compared to other places. The idea that players think THAT much about ownership I believe is also inaccurate. There are plenty of moron/inept/meddling owners out there. If the Jets start winning games, for a fair price, FAs will want to come here. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

This is asinine reasoning.

IF YOU HAVE A BUDGET and a certain monetary CEILING for positional value/salary, then You will stick to your guns and not overreach (see Russia in 2022 for an example of overreach). You’re correct in that JD was not “powerless”, he showed fiscal restraint, maturity, and patience in that he didn't give in to an absurd contract and compensation to compromise the team’s  future and foundation that he’s been methodically trying to establish the past 2.5 years. ?

You must have missed the last sentence of my post, and you missed my point in general.  I agree with you.  Douglas had a price, he stuck to it, and I am in favor of that decision.  I don't think Hill is worth the contract he signed with Miami.

However, that does not mean that Douglas couldn't have made this happen if he really wanted to.  It would have taken an absurd offer (one I personally would have been against), but it could have been done.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Clearly Hill wanted an input into where he was being sent, Miami matched the points total, and Hill wanted nice weather and no income tax. It’s the simple.

He pays taxes in NY 2x NJ 2x and Mass 2x a year.  

he saves 6/16th on his local taxes.   so giver or take 4% a year.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Trotter said:

But hill still had to agree to the extension. Take kc out of this, they really dont matter. Let’s say jd beats the Miami offer by 20 million but hill still says no- 70 million guaranteed is enough for me. 
what do you want him to do then?

Certainly a possibility, but if money wasn't a top priority, Hill likely would have stayed in KC for what was reportedly a contract that made him the highest paid WR in the league.

This is America and you cannot force a person to work at a place he does not want.
Hill lives in Miami and wanted to play for his hometown team.
End of story.
The Chiefs would have accepted either offer depending on where the player wanted to play.
This is not on JD, he made a generous offer that the Chiefs were happy with but the ultimate decision was made by Hill.
Screw him let’s kick his azz twice a year until he retires

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I'm not really sure that "give more money to the guy who doesn't want to be here" is the shrewd move you're making it out to be.

It wouldn't have been shrewd, it would have been ill advised.  But it was still a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

My point is that the GM is not doing enough to move up in the division.  

What do you suggest he do? Sign a player who is going towards the end of his best play for $50 mil and half the draft? Even then players like Hill might not sign with the Jets. JD isn't going to be able to do much other than use the draft. It's that simple.

As for the Patriots, they got murdered by the Bills. By back on track do you mean ok with embarrassing themselves in the wild card game each year? Because I would not want that for the Jets. Plus, they weren't even rebuilding. They had a stutter after they had to adjust from having the GOAT for 20 years.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If what you're saying is true then building through the draft is the wise move for this franchise.  Honestly, I think it's almost a necessity that we acquire more draft picks for next season considering the holes/lack of depth this team has.

I don't know, the Offense is set up well to draft a WR (possibly at #10) and add OL depth round 3 & later, maybe even re-sign LDT.  I'd advocate for a #2 RB in round 4, where there should be some good talent to pick from.  What else does the Jets offense need?  I see proven or developing high draft pick talent pretty much everywhere else on Offense.  I mean unless you are talking TE 3, which we could acquire using a late round pick this year. 

On D, secondary seems pretty set after Free Agency and I say this with the belief that Joyner & Pinnock will be fine at Free Safety.  Could be wrong but might as well see if Pinnock can be the guy that A Davis couldn't be.  In my opinion, we need 1 Edge, 1 LB and 1 DT in the first 2 rounds with Edge my preference in round 1 and the others at top of round 2.  I have us taking a second LB in round 4.

Now we have to hit on the picks but I see the draft capital and free agency to get us what we need.  But again, we need to hit on the picks!!  Critical!! 

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about with Njoku, since he was tagged and never negotiated with any other team.

We weren’t all the way in on Hendrickson, he was the backup plan if we missed out on Lawson, who we did land, with a big contract.

The Tyreek Hill trade was accepted and the matched contract offer was on the table, Hill just chose Miami and KC accommodated him.

Serious question.  Do you fact check anything you post, or do you just roll with whatever theory you decide fits your narratives on any given day?

I think @bitonti has never forgiven Joe Douglas for passing on Penei Sewell.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Once again, JD is rumored to make a big move that could change the franchise, once again JD does not have the juice to make it happen. 

Rumors are that if JD sweetened the deal with the 10 pick for Hill, it may of been an offer the Chiefs couldn't refuse, but once again JD didn't want to overpay. But here is where JD and his cult following get wrong. We stink. We have won 6 games in the last two seasons. We have a question mark at QB. It's NJ. (No offense to some of you) We have a terrible owner and reputation. It all adds up to the "jets tax" as its known. FA's also are usually not wanting to come here unless they PAY (they did overpay Uzomah and he made the move) 

This is the critical mistake JD makes, he doesn't realize the Jets tax and thinks he still is at some respected franchise like Baltimore. The fact is to be picky, to make hard offers and then withdraw, you need to have something to back it up. The Jets, and JD, a first time GM who has done nothing but lose so far, do not have anything to back their hard negotiating tactics up with. 

Now JD has improved this team, hard not to when you look at our CFL team from last year. But when you look around the AFC, are we even close? We are missing the playmaker impacts we need to win football games. JD will need to pay some players for the Jets to go 10-7 or 11-5 and start to rebuild this teams reputation. A team doesnt gain respectability with "cap space" or "thrifting teams with trades" they turn into Ashyton Davis. Teams gain respectability by winning seasons. 

I hope JD and this stubborn front office re-thinks their approach. 

KC accepted the deal, Hill said no. you could have offered all our 1st rounders from now till forever and Hill still would have picked Miami. he lives their. SO your premise of the Jets tax and joe should have done more is not only wrong but silly. Almost as silly as you in the first paragraph also arguing that Joe did do more to get CJ - thus disputing the whole joe doesn't do more case you are trying to make. 

Also just going along in your post, you do know we beat Cinn right? so if we were in the Superbowl we would have won. or at least its possible, with that in mind doesn't seem that we are so far behind after all.

JD if anything has shown how great he is, that package for hill was 2nd rounders. Basically your whole post doesn't make sense or ring true at any part, even when criticizing the performance of Ashton Davis, i mean this is crazy you make no mention of how he was never a starter and when forced into the position due to injury- one of the very firs things he did was to fix that position in FA. 

THe whole is like some sort of bizarro world. You can criticize Joe fairly and on merit but this post is not it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

What do you suggest he do? Sign a player who is going towards the end of his best play for $50 mil and half the draft? Even then players like Hill might not sign with the Jets. JD isn't going to be able to do much other than use the draft. It's that simple.

As for the Patriots, they got murdered by the Bills. By back on track do you mean ok with embarrassing themselves in the wild card game each year? Because I would not want that for the Jets. Plus, they weren't even rebuilding. They had a stutter after they had to adjust from having the GOAT for 20 years.

I suggested he trade for cooper. Remember when 20 million was too high?  

I missed the fun yesterday because I was shopping. I was wearing my Jets hat and hoody. 

like everyone here, I want the team to win. 

I’m frustrated at the lack of urgency. Impact players are expensive and the price only goes up every year. 

Woody deserves criticism as well. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I suggested he trade for cooper. Remember when 20 million was too high?  

I missed the fun yesterday because I was shopping. I was wearing my Jets hat and hoody. 

like everyone here, I want the team to win. 

I’m frustrated at the lack of urgency. Impact players are expensive and the price only goes up every year. 

Woody deserves criticism as well. 

You make a good point here. However, I feel like there's something we can't see here with Cooper. The Cowboys didn't just release him because of cap issues, there were other things.

My point I guess is that while players like Cooper would be a good short-term help, JD is already committed to building through the draft due to the elite talent not wanting to come here. You definitely make a good point with Cooper though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There is not a single Jets player that lives anywhere near NYC.  Does anybody know anything about the area where the Jets practice and play???????????????????????????????????

I was responding to his post about Hill potentially living in NYC.