Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm guessing he doesn't have children to make a comment like that. I'd never even consider being out of town in the 8th month of a completely healthy pregnancy let alone one that is more complicated. I've been around for both. No one knows what is even going on w/this one.

So he's from Virginia, played College in Kentucky and plays pro ball in NJ.  His house is most likely in Jersey.  He already has to go out of town to train b/c he's been training in Texas with Mayweather.  He has zero connection, from what I can see, to Texas so I doubt his permanent home is there.  Stop making excuses for this grown ass man.  He is just lazy and probably still way out of shape and doesn't want it to be reported on.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Anything after 36 weeks is considered a full term pregnancy.  It should be noted that statistically the first pregnancy tends to go longer (40-42 weeks).

With all that said, if I was Becton, I would prioritize being at the workouts.  After two injury riddled seasons and reports of weight problems (whether true or not, public perception DOES matter), it would be prudent to do everything in his power to solidify himself as a cornerstone of the franchise, which is something a top 10 pick is expected to be.  It's his livelihood, something that is potentially going to define the financial security of his wife, children, and grandchildren for decades to come.

If his wife goes into labor, he can get on the first plane back home assuming he even needs to take a plane.  Nobody bats an eye, everyone understands.

But hey, let him do him.  The public is certainly entitled to its opinion.  He's in the public spotlight for better or worse.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

Anything after 36 weeks is considered a full term pregnancy.  It should be noted that statistically the first pregnancy tends to go longer (40-42 weeks).

With all that said, if I was Becton, I would prioritize being at the workouts.  After two injury riddled seasons and reports of weight problems (whether true or not, public perception DOES matter), it would be prudent to do everything in his power to solidify himself as a cornerstone of the franchise, which is something a top 10 pick is expected to be.  It's his livelihood, something that is potentially going to define the financial security of his wife, children, and grandchilden for decades to come.

If his wife goes into labor early, he can get on the first plane back home.  Nobody bats an eye, everyone is happy.

But hey, let him do him.  The public is certainly entitled to its opinion.  He's in the public spotlight for better or worse.

Unless you know what condition his wife is in this is all moot. 

• Upvote 1

There’s plenty of doubts about Becton, and I increasingly feel he’s gonna be a bust…..

but people criticising him for wanting to be with his wife when she is in the final weeks of pregnancy are being ridiculous, unreasonable and frankly quite cold. 

• Upvote 1

There seems to be always something going on with Mekhi Becton, but I would give him some slack on this one because of his wife being pregnant.  

At this point JD and his team, working with Saleh and his team, are responsible for putting a competitive team on the field.  We all know Woody will be involved with the draft pick.  If they think that Ikey, or Cross, or Neal are the best players at 4 and are in the best interests of the Jets to pick, they should pick one of them.  Becton or Fant could be traded, Fant will need another contract after this year, and we don't have to hit Becton's fifth year option.  We don't have a real T3.  Picking another T would be frustrating, and would not necessarily make the team better in 2022, but it would be understandable. 

I really don't think Ikey is there at 4.  

Just now, varjet said:

There seems to be always something going on with Mekhi Becton, but I would give him some slack on this one because of his wife being pregnant.  

At this point JD and his team, working with Saleh and his team, are responsible for putting a competitive team on the field.  We all know Woody will be involved with the draft pick.  If they think that Ikey, or Cross, or Neal are the best players at 4 and are in the best interests of the Jets to pick, they should pick one of them.  Becton or Fant could be traded, Fant will need another contract after this year, and we don't have to hit Becton's fifth year option.  We don't have a real T3.  Picking another T would be frustrating, and would not necessarily make the team better in 2022, but it would be understandable. 

There’s a decent chance he is.  Hutch is going top 3.  That leaves 2 more picks.  Neal could go before icky.  There could be a qb, or 2 other edges could go.  I do think the jets are taking thibs or icky, with thibs before icky.

40 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You do realize that there are 40 weeks in a pregnancy right?  37 weeks means she has 4 full weeks left.  Get your facts straight

um, do you really think it works like that?  because it doesn't.  not even close.

maybe you should understand things a little better rather than come across across as an ignorant blowhard... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

There’s much to do about nothing.

i don’t care whether he shows up to a VOLUNTARY workout or not, it’s got nothing to do with him staying and playing healthy. They practically played the whole season without him so it’s not like his voice or leadership will be missed. It’s April after all. 

No I don’t think a tackle will be drafted at 4. In the latter rounds, yes.

If they stay at 4, the pick should be DE. That’s of course if he checks all the boxes.

If not a DE, then sauce. 

But I still stick with my first plan which would be to TRADE DOWN!

42 minutes ago, choon328 said:

No, but you all are giving him an excuse based on her being "ready to pop".  She's 4 weeks from a due date and I doubt if she put on twitter that she's 37 weeks pregnant that their child's birth is imminent.  Stop giving this grown man an excuse for being fat and lazy.

both of my daughters were delivered via c-section, one in week 37, the other in week 38.   so no, she doesn't necessarily had "4 weeks left"

you have no clue what you are talking about.  now i admit i don't know the particulars of the becton's pregnancy.  but your posts make clear you have no idea how a pregnancy works.  there is no one-size fits all rule and many, many babies come prior to their due dates. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

um, do you really think it works like that?  because it doesn't.  not even close.

maybe you should understand things a little better rather than come across across as an ignorant blowhard... 

As the ex-husband of a maternity nurse, I concur.  40 weeks is a great round number to toss out there, but we have no other info.  Is she pre-gestational diabetic?  Is she on 100% bed rest?  Pre-eclampsia? Waaaaay too many variables to just say "NOT 40 WEEKZ FAT LOOZER"

• Sympathy 1

He wont do it but instead of praying a slow USC receiver works or an undersized OSU receiver just take the sure thing in Breece Hall at 10 because he wont be there on day 2. Hall will be the best offensive player from this draft and an immediate impact player for the Jets, who need to immediately start winning. Forget the outside noise for once.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He wont do it but instead of praying a slow USC receiver works or an undersized OSU receiver just take the sure thing in Breece Hall at 10 because he wont be there on day 2. Hall will be the best offensive player from this draft and an immediate impact player for the Jets, who need to immediately start winning. Forget the outside noise for once.

A running back at 10 overall? 

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I like Hall a lot, and one should draft the players that can succeed early, not just go for needs, but drafting an RB at 10 for this team just feels insane.  I won't knock it, but it feels weird.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

A running back at 10 overall? 

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. 

This is a franchise who has used high picks on DT's and guards with fan approval. Hall is a day 1 20+ touch starter with size and 4.3 speed. Line him up wherever you want.

Just now, Origen said:

I like Hall a lot, and one should draft the players that can succeed early, not just go for needs, but drafting an RB at 10 for this team just feels insane.  I won't knock it, but it feels weird.

You can't draft a running back who's big and fast in round 1 but you can draft a receiver who couldnt even run the 40?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I see your still living in Parcells era as well.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

This is a franchise who has used high picks on DT's and guards with fan approval. Hall is a day 1 20+ touch starter with size and 4.3 speed. Line him up wherever you want.

Past mistakes don't excuse future mistakes.

I love the player. It's not about him. (I actually also really like Kenneth walker III). This draft has some excellent backs. But taking one at #10 overall is insane. Running back is the most replaceable position on the field and a terrible position to invest big resources into. There is never a reason to take one in the top ten, IMO. And I mean never.  It's just bad asset allocation. 

• Upvote 2

I've had about 3 or 4 guys who were on my most overrated top spot, Hamilton being the 1st, then walker but now it might be Breece Hall.  This guy was okay when i watched him last year and the commentators were slobbering all over him but he was okay and nothing at all in the least special.

I will be happy if the jets draft a RB later in the draft but I'd hate Hall being picked top 2 rounds.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

You can't draft a running back who's big and fast in round 1 but you can draft a receiver who couldnt even run the 40?

Lol if that's the alternative, Hall all the way.  I want Tay Martin from OK State in the 3rd over any of these idiots anyway.

3 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol JFC ya'll are such bitches when it comes to Becton. If he's fat as sh*t at camp, I will gladly sh*t all over him alongside you. 

But not showing up for voluntary workouts in April? Save your freak outs for things that matter. 

Ok so what about the guys that did show up? What does that tell you about them? With all the speculation going on around him you'd think he would show up and prove us all wrong but no he wants to eat juju beans and play call of duty

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

You do realize that there are 40 weeks in a pregnancy right?  37 weeks means she has 4 full weeks left.  Get your facts straight

Term - or the end of a pregnancy - begins at 38 weeks and runs to 42 weeks.  The baby can be born at any time 2 weeks before or two weeks after the due date and be considered at full term.  There is no magic timer that goes off exactly at 40 weeks.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Term - or the end of a pregnancy - begins at 38 weeks and runs to 42 weeks.  The baby can be born at any time 2 weeks before or two weeks after the due date and be considered at full term.  There is no magic timer that goes off exactly at 40 weeks.  

obviously they are inducing labor a bit early.