2022 NFL Draft: Rumors & Discussion

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

high floor. Limited athletically far more than media is soliciting 

If he was all that and a bag donuts -- JAX woulda mailed in the pick. 

I mean yeah, he's not a clear number one but nobody is. Stick Hutchinson in last year's draft and he's a guy that clearly still gets drafted top 10, and he's the only guy you can really say that about this year. That's never the type of guy you want at 1 so you'll be on the lookout for excuses not to do it up until it's time to hand the card in. I'm not even sure Hutchinson is technically worth using the 4th overall on based on what that pick is supposed to yield, but whoever is gonna be there at 10 is barely a first rounder, so who gives a sh*t.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Interesting clip on Kayvon's meeting with Brad Holmes. Also of note that Detroit sent most of their staff to Oregons Pro day. They also should have some good insight on Thibs from Sewell who battled him last year in Practice. 

The Jets somehow getting Hutchinson tomorrow would just be crazy. Following the draft for 20 years now and we kind of don't have that luck normally. I like Ikey but some think he would be a better guard and needs to develop. Sure I love Sauce but we play alot of zone We were drafting Corners in round 5 last year and signed a CB in FA. Sauce would be BPA but Hutch would be this perfect mix of BPA/Immediate production and need. Hard to get that. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

GM's in front of you taking home run swings. Ya love to see it for us. 

I haven't read or watched anything on Hutch since the end of the season - I have no read on this player other than consensus opinion. Thoughts?

Via Bob McGinn draft report

AIDAN HUTCHINSON, Michigan (6-6 ½, 268, 4.76, 1): Finished second in voting for the Heisman Trophy after setting the school single-season record with 14 sacks. “I wouldn’t say he has the biggest upside,” one scout said. “But I would trust him the most for having a consistent impact. Some people say Jared Allen. Some people brought up Michael Strahan. If that’s what he is, he might be a Hall of Famer. It will be hard for him to bust unless he just gets hurt.” Was also compared by scouts to Maxx Crosby, Nick Bosa and Joey Bosa. “Kind of like a big windup toy,” a second scout said. “Good get-off and relentless chase for a big man. Little tightness in his back. Has strong arm punch and leg drive to walk back the left tackle. Also has a dip and rip running the hoop to beat them at the top of the rush.” Was a defensive lineman in a 4-3 from 2018-’20 before moving to OLB in a 3-4 last year. “In a normal NFL draft, where a couple quarterbacks are going in the top 5, Hutchinson is a fringe top-10 guy,” said a third scout. “The downside is what you see is probably what you’re going to get. There’s not a lot of upside left for him. He’s definitely a little maxed out. He played well this year. You cannot deny that. He played hard, worked hard. He’s got a lot of hand action. He’s a polished pass rusher. But, man, there are times you see him get blocked, and he’s going to get blocked a lot. He’s got a hard-charging style. He’s a culture guy.” Returned from the broken ankle that he suffered in Game 3 of 2020 for a final season and led Wolverines to a victory over Ohio State, a Big Ten championship and a berth in the CFP semifinals. “I saw his interview after the Big Ten Championship Game and I said to myself, ‘I’m taking him,’” said a fourth scout. “This kid is so confident, so mature. If his new coach says, ‘I want you to take over the locker room,’ I think he can.” Didn’t run particularly well and his arms measured merely 32 1/8 inches, alarmingly the shortest of the top 25 edge rushers. However, his short shuttle (4.15) and 3-cone (6.73) times led the position. His Wonderlic score was 23. “He’s got self-awareness and knows he’s not the greatest athlete,” said a fifth scout. “He doesn’t have things maybe the top athletes do so he compensates with other elements to make himself this really good player. That’s how he’s gotten to where he is. If you just said, ‘Go win this one-on-one rush,’ I could give you the Oregon kid or the other Michigan kid.” Finished with 160 tackles (28 for loss), 18 ½ sacks, four forced fumbles and nine passes defensed. “I know what he is,” said a sixth scout. “But you know what? In the National Football League today you’ve got to have a degree of athleticism or else you’re not going to win. You can be tricky dicky all you want but he’s not the Bosa boys.” From Plymouth, Mich.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Pretty much Nick Bosa numbers here. Actually better in a few categories but hes def an Elite athlete. Perhaps just doesn't bend like Von Miller but not many do. The 3 cone is special and I think you see it on his tape too. It is kind of cruel for people to get Jet Fans hopes up that Hutchinson will slide tomorrow. Hes From Detroit. Hes getting picked 2nd. He should not be available at our pick. 

That's a good example of when you let "numbers" overrule the tape and it doesn't translate.

there's a lot of awkward tape out there for AH... Its not always relevant/meaningful, but the point being, he's all Long/Kerrigan, not Miller/Garret... That's not someone I'm "sprinting" up to podium for

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's a good example of when you let "numbers" overrule the tape and it doesn't translate.

there's a lot of awkward tape out there for AH... Its not always relevant/meaningful, but the point being, he's all Long/Kerrigan, not Miller/Garret... That's not someone I'm "sprinting" up to podium for

Still better than Walker

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, football guy said:

Maybe we can merge this with a few other threads? Either way, I think it’s time to have one official draft thread. 

As far as Jets rumors: nothing has really changed on my front—expecting Ekwonu and a pass rusher at 4 and 10. 

One interesting take:

An agent I spoke to hears Burks will slide into the 2nd round on draft day. It’s less about workouts and more about projecting him into an NFL offense. Given the Deebo Samuel comparisons and scheme fit, you’d have to think the Jets would be in on him. The other 2nd round receiver on our radar is Christian Watson; Jets coaches have been smitten with him ever since the first day of senior bowl practices and he’s a legitimate option if the Jets don’t address WR in round 1. 

No offense, but your “sources” don’t seem any different than a lot of speculation. I’ve been guessing edge at 4 and wr at 10 for over a month and I have 0 sources. 

I saw the visits and don’t think Watson came in more then once. Not a good sign and I doubt the team would be interested in some as raw as him 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

The Ekwonu love is legit, but feels like Joe & Co have gone out of their way, including using Connor Huges, to keep other teams guessing -- IOW keep their hand hidden from teams who might leapfrog us with HOU... ALSO of note, is that every other name but Sauce has been heavily linked to Jets at some time or another...

Just saying... the quietest name in the room just happens to be the BPA in the draft. Wouldn't count out Gardner. 

100% agree fir years since jd showed up no one knew what was going to happen in fa or the draft. Everyone was clueless until the signing was official of the pick was made. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

No offense, but your “sources” don’t seem any different than a lot of speculation. I’ve been guessing edge at 4 and wr at 10 for over a month and I have 0 sources. 

I saw the visits and don’t think Watson came in more then once. Not a good sign and I doubt the team would be interested in some as raw as him 

They coached Watson for a week. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Via Bob McGinn draft report

AIDAN HUTCHINSON, Michigan (6-6 ½, 268, 4.76, 1): Finished second in voting for the Heisman Trophy after setting the school single-season record with 14 sacks. “I wouldn’t say he has the biggest upside,” one scout said. “But I would trust him the most for having a consistent impact. Some people say Jared Allen. Some people brought up Michael Strahan. If that’s what he is, he might be a Hall of Famer. It will be hard for him to bust unless he just gets hurt.” Was also compared by scouts to Maxx Crosby, Nick Bosa and Joey Bosa. “Kind of like a big windup toy,” a second scout said. “Good get-off and relentless chase for a big man. Little tightness in his back. Has strong arm punch and leg drive to walk back the left tackle. Also has a dip and rip running the hoop to beat them at the top of the rush.” Was a defensive lineman in a 4-3 from 2018-’20 before moving to OLB in a 3-4 last year. “In a normal NFL draft, where a couple quarterbacks are going in the top 5, Hutchinson is a fringe top-10 guy,” said a third scout. “The downside is what you see is probably what you’re going to get. There’s not a lot of upside left for him. He’s definitely a little maxed out. He played well this year. You cannot deny that. He played hard, worked hard. He’s got a lot of hand action. He’s a polished pass rusher. But, man, there are times you see him get blocked, and he’s going to get blocked a lot. He’s got a hard-charging style. He’s a culture guy.” Returned from the broken ankle that he suffered in Game 3 of 2020 for a final season and led Wolverines to a victory over Ohio State, a Big Ten championship and a berth in the CFP semifinals. “I saw his interview after the Big Ten Championship Game and I said to myself, ‘I’m taking him,’” said a fourth scout. “This kid is so confident, so mature. If his new coach says, ‘I want you to take over the locker room,’ I think he can.” Didn’t run particularly well and his arms measured merely 32 1/8 inches, alarmingly the shortest of the top 25 edge rushers. However, his short shuttle (4.15) and 3-cone (6.73) times led the position. His Wonderlic score was 23. “He’s got self-awareness and knows he’s not the greatest athlete,” said a fifth scout. “He doesn’t have things maybe the top athletes do so he compensates with other elements to make himself this really good player. That’s how he’s gotten to where he is. If you just said, ‘Go win this one-on-one rush,’ I could give you the Oregon kid or the other Michigan kid.” Finished with 160 tackles (28 for loss), 18 ½ sacks, four forced fumbles and nine passes defensed. “I know what he is,” said a sixth scout. “But you know what? In the National Football League today you’ve got to have a degree of athleticism or else you’re not going to win. You can be tricky dicky all you want but he’s not the Bosa boys.” From Plymouth, Mich.

Really appreciate the post. Thanks.

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

To me he's the most polished edge in the class, hard to believe hes falling to 4. Sauce over Ekwonu all day.

Polished is relative word. I would be much more comfortable talking about Hutch at 10. …brutal that we (at 4) don’t have a clear cut group 3-4 blue chips to regard  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Polished is relative word. I would be much more comfortable talking about Hutch at 10. …brutal that we (at 4) don’t have a clear cut group 3-4 blue chips to regard  

You're not wrong, im kinda over those 1st round picks. All i care about is Pierre Strong Jr. in the 4th if the football gods can help us.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

You're not wrong, im kinda over those 1st round picks. All i care about is Pierre Strong Jr. in the 4th if the football gods can help us.

I love that you’re smitten with him. Welcome to my world of crushing on homerun day 2/3 players. I love Pierre strong, and so do the Jets. Him and Carter would reinvent our love for the running game. He’s a big play threat. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

ok lol

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The last time the Jets had a guy fall into their lap that I really did think was the best player in the draft I declared "God has finally smiled on the Jets."  And that man was.......Sam Darnold.   ?

Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold. 4th times the charm?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Josh Norris had the most accurate mock draft last hear. Hutchinson ?

If this comes to fruition, Linderbaum and Nakobe Dean are slipping to the 2nd.  If we could draft both, that would be a HUGE success. 

Hutch, London, Lindy, and Dean. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I posted this in another thread but wanted to drop it here to throw just a little water on the Sauce at 4 idea.  The 49ers have had a consistently top defense for years.  How do they do it?  Where did they invest?

They haven't drafted any kind of defensive back (CB, FS, SS) earlier than Round 3.  Yet they've hit DL with their 1st Round pick 3 times in 5 years.

Tell me again we're going with a man-cover CB at #4 in Sauce during a Draft that also has DLmen at the top?

1801011095_ScreenShot2022-04-27at12_18_40PM.thumb.png.99e2f74e54a1a6182932739c133186a1.png

thats because some people here dont do the research like you just did and therefore dont know what there talking about.

they know we run the 49ers offense and defense but ask them who they want to draft.... well they dont want to draft like the 49ers.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

I would disagree on the numbers translating to game tape.  His tape shows an explosive and agile athlete but hes stiff and can't bend. Very similar player to Nick Bosa. We are drafting 4th. The Myles Garretts and Von Miller and Chase Youngs come rarely and when they do they go 1 or 2. No one is saying hes that guy.I'll take Ryan Kerrigan all day for the next 10 years. JJ is 23 and produced for 1 year and Thibs has a-lot more risk with similar upside IMO.  I think we kind of view Hutch in a similar way just you are expecting an Elite blue chip guy at 4th overall which I totally get. 

Most of his tape shows good short area quickness and great hand use but he can explode as well. 

Anyone advocating for Johnson over Hutchinson needs to be put into a box. Johnson's best attributes are as a run setter ffs. He struggles to get off his man rushing - he either beats him off the line or he doesn't beat him at all. There's just nothing there to justify picking in the top 10 let alone top 4. There's a reason most analytic heavy experts don't have him anywhere near. He's also 20 months older than Hutchinson whose broken out extremely late.

Hutchinson isn't an elite level athlete like a Myles Garrett but he measured well where it counts - Better than the Bosa brothers seeing as we're so obsessed with comparing him to other white people. His straight line speed isn't great but the explosiveness off the line and agility are all there which are far more important. He's not the elite level pass rusher we've seen previously at the top of drafts but if he was he wouldn't be in consideration. At #4 he's as good as you can get. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Anyone advocating for Johnson over Hutchinson needs to be put into a box. Johnson's best attributes are as a run setter ffs. He struggles to get off his man rushing - he either beats him off the line or he doesn't beat him at all. There's just nothing there to justify picking in the top 10 let alone top 4. There's a reason most analytic heavy experts don't have him anywhere near. He's also 20 months older than Hutchinson whose broken out extremely late.

Hutchinson isn't an elite level athlete like a Myles Garrett but he measured well where it counts - Better than the Bosa brothers seeing as we're so obsessed with comparing him to other white people. His straight line speed isn't great but the explosiveness off the line and agility are all there which are far more important. He's not the elite level pass rusher we've seen previously at the top of drafts but if he was he wouldn't be in consideration. At #4 he's as good as you can get. 

That's interesting. I ve never really thought about Huff as a 'top right box' edge... Or realized he wins at a higher rate than Chase Young!

8 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

That's interesting. I ve never really thought about Huff as a 'top right box' edge... Or realized he wins at a higher rate than Chase Young!

He was top 5 in the nation in pressures. It was against piss poor opposition but it has carried over to the NFL. 

He either seems to win big or get taken out of the play though, and he's absolutely useless against the run. Definitely a useful player. There's a reason we made him the highest UDFA of that class. 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

I have more confidence that Hutchinson becomes a 10-12 sacks guy than I do in Kayvon Hutchinson not shutting it down on a 2-6 team in November. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm of the same mind as you and @kdels62 on Ekwonu. Based purely on pass protection reps at tackle, I prefer Cross and Neal to Ekwonu. He's got some bad reps out there. You also can't play him at guard because of AVT and Tomlinson. If the Jets want to go tackle, just pick Cross or Neal. 

I’ve been pretty clear that I don’t want the OL, but AVT could potentially move out to RT, too. That could even be part of the reason they decided to announce that he was moving from left to right guard, start getting him accustomed to that side. 

Still, taking a guard at #4 gives me a headache. 

• Upvote 3