### The Official Day Three Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

From the highlights Clemons looks stiff but super high effort and very violent.  I would have preferred Dominque Robinson as a developmental DE but Clemons seems nasty,

Man Robinson would've been a much more exciting pick.

This is on the NFL.com page about Clemons:

"I'm not going to worry about him being kind of stiff in his rush because he's long and he's strong. Those traits start in our league." -- Scouting director for NFC team

Just now, Jets1958 said:

Michael Clemons

2021 (GRADUATE): Played in 10 games, making nine starts … Led the Aggies with 13 hurries ... Made his season debut and recorded four tackles with two QB hurries in the win at Colorado … Tallied four tackles and matched his career high of 1.5 tackles-for-loss against New Mexico … Added 0.5 sacks and three hurries against the Lobos ... Finished with four tackles, 2.0 for loss, and forced a fumble on a sack against Arkansas ... Had two tackles and a sack against Mississippi State ... Logged three tackles and a sack against No. 1 Alabama ... Also, recorded three hurries and broke up a pass against the Tide ... Tallied his fifth straight game with at least 1.0 tackles-for-loss at Missouri ... Extended his streak to six consecutive games with at least 1.0 TFL at South Carolina ... Recorded the first fumble recovery of his career and returned the ball 24 yards for the first touchdown of his career in the win over No. 12 Auburn ... Registered two hurries at Ole Miss ... Tallied a career-high 3.5 sacks at LSU ... Given the Defensive MVP Award, Defensive Leadership Award and Top Conditioned Athlete Award at the annual team banquet, while also being honored as a season team captain.

NOTE:  Given the Defensive MVP Award, Defensive Leadership Award and Top Conditioned Athlete Award at the annual team banquet, while also being honored as a season team captain.

• Upvote 1

Surprised they doubled down on edge/DE, figured they'd go DT of they addressed DL.  This might have been a best player on the board scenario though.   Pretty good athlete and high production in the best conference/division in college Football.  11 sacks in his last 15 games is pretty dang good.

Just now, JiFapono said:

Surprised they doubled down on edge/DE, figured they'd go DT of they addressed DL.  This might have been a best player on the board scenario though.   Pretty good athlete and high production in the best conference/division in college Football.  11 sacks in his last 15 games is pretty dang good.

I think the plan is for JFM to move inside, which mostly negates the need to draft a DT and drives the need for one more outside rusher.

• Upvote 3

Just now, BurntDice said:

Idk I like Mitchell a lot. Can see him being a starter next year of fant or becton don’t work out 

I wasn’t criticizing JD’s picks. Just a note on the caliber of players on the board. I’m happy he used his late picks to move up and get his guys. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

An old DE in the 4th when we already have 6 DEs seems imprudent.

Yeah, but how many "sure" pass rushers do we really have? Lawson (if healthy) and JJ (hopefully)? And I thought the prevailing opinion around here was that JFM was going to move inside more often.

After that, the rest are just "potential" and depth guys.

With our lack of a pass rush being a problem for years, I don't mind throwing more bodies at it until it's fixed. Isn't the key to Saleh's defense rushing the passer, anyway?

• Upvote 3

Pick Grade: Below Average

After the Jets moved up to grab Jermaine Johnson II late in the first round, they looked to be set at edge rusher. Now, it seems as though the rich have gotten richer. Still, Clemons has plenty of room to improve — he isn’t super nimble and is one of the oldest prospects in this year’s class.

Via PFF

I posted the positive so I guess there's the negative. Wouldn't have been where I went but hopefully we see something there that makes it worth it. 

• Upvote 1

Clemons has the physical traits you want. He is loooong. Has one killer move. If they can keep him out of trouble off field and with Saleh's coaching, he could become a good rotational piece. It's a good pick. Pressure on the QB is obviously very important in Saleh's system. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I know they absolutely love the potential of Jonathan Marshall who is, also, an off the charts athlete.  Possibly explains the lack of DT.

• Upvote 1