OTA’s Start Today! Can’t Wait to See the Rookies& Which Vets Show Up!

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They also have the coach, on camera, saying “Come in, buddy. We’ll take care of you.” Let’s not pretend that they’re at all happy dealing with this giant manbaby.

Not saying they're happy. But they are not in the dark on his health. Saleh clearly wants him to show up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

Why not? You’re still pretending that all the misdirection they fed Conner Hughes is true. 

Connor* 

Do we need Hughes’ reporting to tell us that Saleh probably isn’t thrilled with having to deal with Becton at this point? What coach would be happy with this player?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They were last year when he ballooned to over 400 pounds. And this was in season. 

Are you talking about when he literally couldn’t walk? If so, and we have seen he looks kinda slim, that would actually show how hard he has worked to come back. Therefore proof he isn't as lazy as people say, etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Drums said:

Are you talking about when he literally couldn’t walk? If so, and we have seen he looks kinda slim, that would actually show how hard he has worked to come back. 

I mean the reason he didn’t make it back last year was because he didn’t take his rehab seriously and didn’t maintain his diet. And now he’s still missing so you do the math.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I mean the reason he didn’t make it back last year was because he didn’t take his rehab seriously and didn’t maintain his diet. And now he’s still missing so you do the math.

Any proof?

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Not saying they're happy. But they are not in the dark on his health. Saleh clearly wants him to show up.

How would they be in the loop on his overall health and fitness? Because his contract employee OL coach Duke Manyweather is giving them reports? That guy literally works for Mekhi Becton. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think Becton is thrilled with the organization, either, especially after Gase sent him back into a game while injured. I understand his desire to take care of his own health outside of their premises. Trust goes both ways, and they will either get there or not. I’m expecting Becton to show up -when he shows- with a chip on his shoulder bigger then his feet. I feel like they’re building something, that a team-wide buy-in is taking place, and that Mekhi will be on board when mandatory camp rolls around. Fatherhood is a powerful thing, and a motivating force. 

I also expect them to bring in a viable RT between now and opening day because no one’s putting all their eggs in that basket just yet. Still, it would be a major upset if he’s not starting opening day. 

Extreme fwiw, but Mina Kimes, on her pre-draft podcasts, asserted multiple times that there were rumors afoot suggesting that Becton is, in fact, not happy being a Jet, and that was going to be the impetus for drafting Ekonwu, which obviously didn’t happen. IMO, it’s not an awesome sign that Becton possibly has issues with playing hurt because OL have to play hurt. I don’t know. It just seems like the evidence is piling up that suggests Becton is not part of the great buy-in, and his continued lack of attendance—if it continues— is making Douglas and Saleh look weak, which is not where they need to be right now. 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How would they be in the loop on his overall health and fitness? Because his contract employee OL coach Duke Manyweather is giving them reports? That guy literally works for Mekhi Becton. 

Exactly 

This is why even though I was once a Darnold fan, I never gave two wet sh*ts about what Jordan Palmer had to say about the guy.

Of course he wasn’t going to say anything bad about a client who was actively paying him tens of thousands of dollars.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Exactly 

This is why even though I was once a Darnold fan, I never gave two wet sh*ts about what Jordan Palmer had to say about the guy.

Of course he wasn’t going to say anything bad about a client who was actively paying him tens of thousands of dollars.

Very few players have the cache to skip practice to work out with their own guy. Becton isn’t one of them.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Very few players have the cache to skip practice to work out with their own guy. Becton isn’t one of them.

Agreed

The Jets may very well have just drafted Becton’s replacement in the 4th round.

Some Jets fans may see that as an outlandish statement, but that’s because a huge portion of this fanbase has for some reason convinced themselves that you have to draft an OL in the Top 15 to be a quality starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed

Some Jets fans may see that as an outlandish statement, but that’s because a huge portion of this fanbase has for some reason convinced themselves that you have to draft an OL in the Top 15 to be a quality starter.

The Jets have been able to figure out RT in the past. Vera Tucker could always kick out there too.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed

+1 

Mitchell, according the the PFF stuff, seems to be technically proficient, particularly in the run game, and he’s going to be dirt cheap for the next four years. If he gets starter reps this summer and doesn’t outright suck, that’ll already be an improvement on Summer of 2021 Mekhi Becton

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I can sympathize with the guy, daughter is due in less than 3 weeks. I will be taking 2 weeks off during one of my busiest stretches of work to be with my family. If my boss has an issue, I'll find another job.

It's not a great look for Becton but they are voluntary. If he starts skipping mandatory workouts then I'll have an issue.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Extreme fwiw, but Mina Kimes, on her pre-draft podcasts, asserted multiple times that there were rumors afoot suggesting that Becton is, in fact, not happy being a Jet, and that was going to be the impetus for drafting Ekonwu, which obviously didn’t happen. IMO, it’s not an awesome sign that Becton possibly has issues with playing hurt because OL have to play hurt. I don’t know. It just seems like the evidence is piling up that suggests Becton is not part of the great buy-in, and his continued lack of attendance—if it continues— is making Douglas and Saleh look weak, which is not where they need to be right now. 

I can see all of this… until your final point. I don’t think it makes anyone look weak. Disgruntled players be disgruntled. They’re keeping the drama as close to zero as they can. That’s the smart play. What’s the alternative? Bitching out loud to the media about it? Even if Becton is playing here against his will this year -so what?- he’s gotta play if he wants to see a juicy NFL LT second contract in his family’s future. The Jets hold his rights on a rookie contract. If there are any issues between the player and team, they’re keeping it completely in house. Good for them and good for Becton, who doesn’t need any more drama, either. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I can sympathize with the guy, daughter is due in less than 3 weeks. I will be taking 2 weeks off during one of my busiest stretches of work to be with my family. If my boss has an issue, I'll find another job.

It's not a great look for Becton but they are voluntary. If he starts skipping mandatory workouts then I'll have an issue.

This week was obviously a wash but the practices earlier this month he was not present for. The uncertainty of what type of shape he’s in is an obvious major concern for the team.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

while I do somewhat agree that Becton is a shleprock with some serious personality issues, however your argument is flawed

Mayweather is courting the Dallas Cowboys linemen and coaching staff for clents....it is in his best interest that Becton succeeds and not make a fool out of him.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The Jets are in communication with his personal trainer and nutritionist. They have a pretty good idea what shape he is in. The fans and media dont.

I doubt they'll out him in public as that doesn't inspire much good will on behalf of administration. I hope he's indeed on track, but I'll believe it when I see it.

All this Becton slander… smh.

All the tough talk from non athletes… about recovering from a serious injury.

The only way to move forward…

Is to start dislocating some knee caps, maybe with a baseball bat, to prove how easy it is to recover.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They said he went over 400lbs. What other proof do you need? 

I'd prefer more than a Cimini article tbh. I thought more reporters would have broken that news with the way it gets talked about around here. Becton looks like he's good shape so props to him for shedding that weight if it was true.

With that said, how is him getting to 400 lbs when he couldn't walk and is a huge human being equal to him taking his rehab less seriously? Because that was not included in the Cimini article, but seems more like your own conjecture. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If you work for a company greater than 50 people you would be eligible for unpaid leave under FMLA

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

All this Becton slander… smh.

All the tough talk from non athletes… about recovering from a serious injury.

The only way to move forward…

Is to start dislocating some knee caps, maybe with a baseball bat, to prove how easy it is to recover.

That “serious injury” was supposed to cost our supposed “franchise LT” 6-8 weeks and it ended up costing him the entire season. A season in which we were trying to break in the highest drafted QB this franchise has taken in nearly 60 years.

Meanwhile that 6’7 370 lb behemoth spent a big chunk of said time having his puss salted by complete nobodies on Twitter on a daily basis whilst playing Fortnite on his Twitch channel.

Why so many find it bizarre that a sizable portion of the fanbase have concerns about a guy like that is baffling to me.

It’s not even like Becton was flatout dominant as a rookie. He got his lunch repeatedly eaten by Clelin Ferrel for f*ck sake.

I still maintain that his upside is enormous…but has my faith in his ability to reach that upside taken a monstrous hit over the last 9 months? You bet your ass it has.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1