OTA’s Start Today! Can’t Wait to See the Rookies& Which Vets Show Up!

Looking forward to see Sauce and how he matches up against Wilson, Moore & Mims (if they show up).

OL play. Hoping to see someone (Edoga, Williams or other) step up and win the swing Tackle position.

The LB group making a statement. Hamsah, Phillips, Sherwood & White need to show Saleh & JD that they are ready to step up and play meaningful, quality snaps. If not, Keon Alexander might be offered more $ to sign.

Breece Hall & Carter 1-2 punch.

Good article on players Jets may look to add.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2022/5/18/23069269/what-moves-are-left-for-the-jets

Too long to post., but here is the first few paragraphs.

Even with the NFL Draft in the rear view mirror and OTAs getting ready to start on May 23rd, the Jets are certainly not finished tinkering with their roster. They recently had DT Larry Ogunjobi and LB Kwon Alexander in to discuss possibly signing. These two veterans are on the radar but probably only at a certain price. If they do sign I am sure it will be a team friendly deal so these players I assume will look for better offers before they commit. The signings would likely come in late July rather than any time soon. 

The Jets are a little thin at a few positions including linebacker, safety, interior defensive line, and offensive tackle.  According to Over the Cap the Jets currently have $13,206,098 in cap space with the vast majority of their dDaft class to sign. There is little they can do to gain more cap space by cutting or trading players. Some of the players who would give them the most relief are the players they could least afford to lose. They could extend a player like Quinnen Williams or restructure a larger contract, but I don’t know whether that is something Joe Douglas would want to do. He has not done much of this in the past.

So any player they sign would be to backup contracts with limited playing time. It’s the type of contract that may interest an aging veteran with an injury history. The ability to come in and play 20-25 snaps a game would hopefully keep them healthy and most productive for the entire year. So the chances of the Jets bringing in a cornerstone type player is remote. So let’s see who is out there in search of work who could help.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Looking forward to see Sauce and how he matches up against Wilson, Moore & Mims (if they show up).

OL play. Hoping to see someone (Edoga, Williams or other) step up and win the swing Tackle position.

The LB group making a statement. Hamsah, Phillips, Sherwood & White need to show Saleh & JD that they are ready to step up and play meaningful, quality snaps. If not, Keon Alexander might be offered more $ to sign.

Breece Hall & Carter 1-2 punch.

Good article on players Jets may look to add.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2022/5/18/23069269/what-moves-are-left-for-the-jets

Too long to post., but here is the first few paragraphs.

Even with the NFL Draft in the rear view mirror and OTAs getting ready to start on May 23rd, the Jets are certainly not finished tinkering with their roster. They recently had DT Larry Ogunjobi and LB Kwon Alexander in to discuss possibly signing. These two veterans are on the radar but probably only at a certain price. If they do sign I am sure it will be a team friendly deal so these players I assume will look for better offers before they commit. The signings would likely come in late July rather than any time soon. 

The Jets are a little thin at a few positions including linebacker, safety, interior defensive line, and offensive tackle.  According to Over the Cap the Jets currently have $13,206,098 in cap space with the vast majority of their dDaft class to sign. There is little they can do to gain more cap space by cutting or trading players. Some of the players who would give them the most relief are the players they could least afford to lose. They could extend a player like Quinnen Williams or restructure a larger contract, but I don’t know whether that is something Joe Douglas would want to do. He has not done much of this in the past.

So any player they sign would be to backup contracts with limited playing time. It’s the type of contract that may interest an aging veteran with an injury history. The ability to come in and play 20-25 snaps a game would hopefully keep them healthy and most productive for the entire year. So the chances of the Jets bringing in a cornerstone type player is remote. So let’s see who is out there in search of work who could help.

Agree with everything you said, although I'm not sure that you're going to see any of that happening at an OTA in May. I'm guessing Saleh is going to take a similar approach to rookie Minicamp in that he's going to go fairly light and attempt to avoid injury. 

I feel like attendance is going to be the biggest thing we can take away from this. Does anyone know if this is mandatory or not? If Becton skips.... SMH, this place is going to be interesting 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Isn't this basically guys jogging around in shorts and lifting weights? Not sure anything reported from this is worth much...

It's a chance to see the rookie draft picks actually participating in football activities. Not just doing jumping jacks like they did in Rookie Camp.

Try and be somewhat excited!

Second year into the system, HC, GM, QB all in place. OLINE improved. Major pieces added, including athletic playmakers, starters and depth. Super excited to tune in to anything this team does right now. How far have we come since Gase and the media's narrative that top prospects should stay in school to avoid being drafted by the Jets. Now we got to compete better and add wins. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

This sums it all up pretty accurately. 

If Wilson looks bad in the slightest, it's just May baby. If Ruckert catches a deep pass, he's clearly on the HOF path.

If a Jet looks bad in the slightest, especially ZW the season will be over, the Jets will continue to be the worst org. in the history of sports and both JD and Saleh should be fired.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Isn't this basically guys jogging around in shorts and lifting weights? Not sure anything reported from this is worth much...

They also start the install of the offense and defensive schemes. I don't think it's a good indicator of 'performance' during the season, but that does not mean it's not important. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

They also start the install of the offense and defensive schemes. I don't think it's a good indicator of 'performance' during the season, but that does not mean it's not important. 

Yeah the basic installs happen now because actual camp has gotten shrunk down so much.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

With the incredible turnover every year in the NFL, coupled with just how young a team the Jets are, every time this team gets together is important. I coached a bunch , at many different levels, over the years, and I would tell the kids before every practice as we were stretching and warming up, that the goal today is to be better as a group after practice is finished than we are right now. This can be in a variety of ways. Every time you are together means something.

• Upvote 4

OTA's are all overhype for the fans.  Real work is being done, but it's almost all mental and technical.  Hands and feet for the bigs.  Routes and positioning for the RB's and WR's.  Bit of all of that for DB's and LB's.

Jets have a ton of 1st and 2nd year players.  Makes OTA's far more important for the Jets than most other teams.  For the younger players, all the position group meetings are critical.

But, unfortunately, there's not going to be much we can see.  Not sure the press knows much either.  They will be grasping at straws for things to write (sensationalize) about.  We will take our already set opinions and read the tea leaves to confirm our opinions.

Every day is one day closer to training camp.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Who we got for reports this year?

Today is closed to everyone. 

Media access tomorrow. 

OTAs are never open to fans, only training camp practices.

Today it's strictly reports from the Jets social media accounts.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

No that is what we have had so far in the offseaon program. OTAs are essentially actual practices but with no contact.