“Senior year gym class in June is more intense than this OTA.” The latest dispatch from Connor Hughes

I listened to the podcast. Like he said, “if it works out, the Jets are geniuses”.

Personally, I like that the Jets are thinking outside the box. Is it more important for coaches to hammer out the free agency list or go to the combine to watch guys run around in shorts? All the times are posted anyways.

The easy OTAs are risky though. I see the logic for the skill players. But the DL and OL need to go at it to refine their skills. We will see. I will say - 12 practices in June arent getting anyone in shape. If players need these practices for conditioning, they’re already a lost cause. The focus of the practices should be scheme implementation. 

• Upvote 2

What does the schedule have to do with it?  Do you have to train harder for better teams?  You have to be at 125% as opposed to the usual 110%?  Running hard in May isn’t enough, you have to crash into each other in May to be ready in Sept?  
The overthinking by fans is par for the course though

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Connor Hughes is a tough listen. I sometimes can't make it through the first 10 minutes of his random personal stories...  He strikes me as self-absorbed.  It doesn't help that he doesn't seem particularly knowledgeable about football, or interested in doing his job well.  He does seem excited to give his "educated opinion/narrative" but that has proven to be unreliable. 

IMHO - DJ is the best beat reporter currently... or at the least the most objective and entertaining.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

T0m so desperately wants Saleh to fail he’s clinging to the dumbest sh*t you could possibly report to find confirmation.  All because of Adam Gase.  This is by far the strangest, saddest behavior I’ve seen from a poster.  So pathetic you almost feel bad for him 

edit: almost 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you were, say, a wide receiver coming from the Ohio State program who is going to play the Ravens defense in 109 days, do you feel like a training regimen that de-emphasizes physical contact will adequately prepare you for that contest?

Yes

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

T0m so desperately wants Saleh to fail he’s clinging to the dumbest sh*t you could possibly report to find confirmation.  All because of Adam Gase.  This is by far the strangest, saddest behavior I’ve seen from a poster.  So pathetic you almost feel bad for him 

Editor’s note: I did not produce this podcast

• Thumb Down 1

OTAs are for team building activities and not meant for physical contact. Most Vets do not even show up. At least most of the Jets have attended which is a good thing to help build some team chemistry amongst newer team mates. There will be plenty of time for contact during training camp.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Editor’s note: I did not produce this podcast

Based on the post below you didn’t seem to listen to it, either?

10 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I listened to it. Among his Jet's take is the age-old Leonard Williams-like familiar themes, "when will Quinnen play like a third overall pick in the draft not just a very good football player?" News at ten...

He talks about his girlfriend's great cooking, how he hates the phrase "iron sharpening iron", about his genuine joy of being recognized by Jets fans everywhere and what it was first like when he started in the business.  He loudly refuses  to share his opinion on Mekhi Becton absence from mini camp, not wishing to draw the ire of Jets fans.

It's riveting real life insights, for those that love the Connor.

• Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, Nixhead said:

They are changing things up to what they have probably researched and they obviously think this way  will work and is worth a try. I’m good with it. Hope it help the team play better. That’s about all. 

This is 100% my take. We can theorize endlessly why Saleh decided to do this (and we probably will never really know), but the bottom line is that this decision to change things up was not made in haste and was a reaction to issues they were having (you would assume either with injuries or fatigue). This is OTAs. This is a NON-STORY. Pre-season doesn't start 'till mid August. 

If Saleh was pushing them hard during OTAs and a one of our prized rookies ended up with a torn ACL this would be FAR, FAR worse than the potential of losing some level of 'readiness' for game 1 (which shouldn't happen anyway) because OTA's were lax.  

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Sigh.  Afraid I have to agree, despite T0m being my favorite poster for 20 years.  The Saleh/Wilson vendetta is not only exhausting, it's contrived as hell.  Guy is doing some SERIOUS mental gymnastics (sifting through Connor effing Hughes' Marvel Comics movies podcast for useless nuggets) to keep his Narratives alive.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Meanwhile, the Joe Judge lead offense in New England is busy running laps, climbing rope and playing outdoor dodgeball on asphalt. 

#instenseOTAs  #june  #voluntaryNOTvoluntary

Hey - I used to play dodgeball on asphalt from grades 3-6, and loved it. Don't remember much ... 

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:21 AM, JiFapono said:

Even if that’s true what has Bob Saleh shown as a head coach?

The defense was horrible last year.  Jets fans constantly ragged on Rex if his defenses weren’t elite, Saleh defenses don’t even look average.  Can’t stop the run. Zero pass rush. DBs couldn’t cover Devin Smith.  I expect the pass rush and coverage to get better this year but teams are going to run all over us

And the 49ers defense isn’t missing Saleh

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

The defense was horrible last year.  Jets fans constantly ragged on Rex if his defenses weren’t elite, Saleh defenses don’t even look average.  Can’t stop the run. Zero pass rush. DBs couldn’t cover Devin Smith.  I expect the pass rush and coverage to get better this year but teams are going to run all over us

The defense relies on talent, they don’t scheme rush.  “ a monkey could call this defense “

Thanks for letting everyone know not to take your football takes seriously lol

What did you expect him to show with the worst and youngest roster in the NFL and the entire building still has the stench of Adam Gase’s toxicity permeating on the walls? 

nothing?  Yeah.  Me either.  Yet he doubled Gases win total with alL of those factors and arguably the worst QB in the NFL.   So excited to see he can do when the deck isn’t impossibly stacked against him.  

So what youre saying is Saleh with Rexs players wouldnt be good and Rex coaching that weak of a roster before being decimated would have been really good.   That team sucked last year talent wise.  You compare apples to oranges and think youre making a relevant point.  But not

Salehs D in SF led the team to 13-3 and a SB as the 2nd best D, that shut down KC and should have won the SB to a 10-7 team.  Running his D

On 5/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, T0mShane said:

If you were, say, a wide receiver coming from the Ohio State program who is going to play the Ravens defense in 109 days, do you feel like a training regimen that de-emphasizes physical contact will adequately prepare you for that contest?

Youre not allowed to play in pads at OTAs so what physical contact do you believe theyre missing?  They weren't  going to hit without pads.  They've lightened up some field work for study time.  Since they weren't hitting it a perfectly logical way to proceed 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So what youre saying is Saleh with Rexs players wouldnt be good and Rex coaching that weak of a roster before being decimated would have been really good.   That team sucked last year talent wise.  You compare apples to oranges and think youre making a relevant point.  But not

Salehs D in SF led the team to 13-3 and a SB as the 2nd best D, that shut down KC and should have won the SB to a 10-7 team.  Running his D

No I’m saying Rex is Bill Parcells compared to Saleh