Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

2 hours ago, seagirtman said:

4 TEs are not necessary; Cager decision will be made at last cuts depending on WR Smith and Mims decision; expect Cager to be placed on PS

He is not really a TE more of a really large Y receiver. Doubt he makes it to the PS if we cut him. Again, would be shocking if he does make the roster.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mike White threw one INT in the first half of that game. His second interception came when they were down 24-3 in the third quarter.

So you're saying his 2nd half interception doesn't count then? Ok we'll be sure to bring this up when Zach does the same thing this year when behind by 21 in the 2nd half. Should be fun. We can also apply this same logic to Zach's games last year as well.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Horror Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I love the way he barely responds to Cimini first two questions, leaving Rich to make up responses for him. If the NFL thing doesn't work out for him he could make a living teaching players how to deal with the media.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It completely sucks Zach is missing this as it probably the only truly meaningful time during the preseason where he'll get to see a different team actually trying, playing their starters and giving different looks that they'd never show in a preseason game.  Crucial development that Zach is missing.  Total bummer. 

Yep. total bummer and just typical Jets luck. 

20 minutes ago, billo83 said:

So you're saying his 2nd half interception doesn't count then? Ok we'll be sure to bring this up when Zach does the same thing this year when behind by 21 in the 2nd half. Should be fun. We can also apply this same logic to Zach's games last year as well.  

You're missing the point.  The game was basically over already at 24-3.

White was in desperation mode trying to make something happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It completely sucks Zach is missing this as it probably the only truly meaningful time during the preseason where he'll get to see a different team actually trying, playing their starters and giving different looks that they'd never show in a preseason game.  Crucial development that Zach is missing.  Total bummer. 

These next 2 weeks were going to be advanced Calculus for Zach. Instead, he’s back to Algebra 1. Totally stinks.

3 hours ago, seagirtman said:

4 TEs are not necessary; Cager decision will be made at last cuts depending on WR Smith and Mims decision; expect Cager to be placed on PS

That depends on their plans for the TE position this year. If they plan on having multiple TEs on the field regularly, running routes, and run blocking then they may need four. If the fourth TE is of more value then a sixth WR you carry the fourth TE and five WRs.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

I love the way he barely responds to Cimini first two questions, leaving Rich to make up responses for him. If the NFL thing doesn't work out for him he could make a living teaching players how to deal with the media.

He was either really well coached on this, or he is a natural.  He pauses before answering and he comes across as thoughtful in doing so.  He seems like a guy who is not going to get tripped up into giving stupid soundbites to the press.  Having Michael Clark Duncan's voice doesn't hurt either.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That depends on their plans for the TE position this year. If they plan on having multiple TEs on the field regularly, running routes, and run blocking then they may need four. If the fourth TE is of more value then a sixth WR you carry the fourth TE and five WRs.

Assuming the top-5 WR are Davis, Moore, Berrios, Wilson, and Smith, you are looking at either Jackson or Mims for #6 versus Cager for TE4.  While Jackson (I think I have the right name) has been exciting, he's another short, fast WR and we have lots of those so I'm guessing he's a PS guy.  So if it really comes down to Mims vs. Cager, I could see keeping Cager since he has been producing and would be a strong replacement for any of the other TEs and probably even get worked into specific sets more easily than Mims at this point.

57 minutes ago, billo83 said:

You bros just spent eight months telling me that Zach throwing for 87 yards against the Bills last season was Great Progress

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So if it really comes down to Mims vs. Cager, I could see keeping Cager since he has been producing and would be a strong replacement for any of the other TEs and probably even get worked into specific sets more easily than Mims at this point.

I've supported Mims in the past, but as you stated it seems Cager is the one producing. Prior to this year he switched spots, worked hard, and learned. Whereas Mims is now finally playing special teams and seems to be working at it. It's also possible the carry less at another position to accommodate them both. Do we really need a dedicated FB? I'm sure if they told Ruckert he would be FB/TE guy this year he'd do it without question, and be good at it. If Mims is really starting to work at it I'd prefer they cut some weak depth somewhere else though as he is a physical specimen, and has flashed some dominate behavior in the past on an occasional highlight catch (a couple his first year). On good teams with depth draftees are often allowed to grow into roles (we aren't used to that).    

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Reading between the lines of Saleh's comments, sounds like Coach really likes him, but sounds like a PS guy. 

Too many ahead of him but maybe they get creative. Interested to see if they do something like keep him over Mims. 

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think he will get quite a bit of use.  He is a pure Y TE that has shown willingness to block.

Some examples:

1. Red zone matchup nightmare. He can be the big receiver in the redzone that can  be a true weapon, demand attention score TDs and open things up for other receivers. Think Plaxico Burress sort of impact when he was on the Jets

2.  He can be a weapon in 12 personnel that is actually disguised 11.  SF did this with Deebo last year in 21 personnel which could easily morph to 11 which made him super effective

3,  He is a great weapon for 10 personnel. Davis, Moore, Wilson and Cager would be super hard to defend as would Cager Davis/Wilson Moore and Berrios and in 5 wide (which I am not a huge fan of)

4. Reports are that he has been fantastic on specials.

Cager offers a LOT to this team. He was our highest rated player on Friday by PFF (yeah, I know but a data point) and has been flashing significantly and consistently in practice

Cager not making the team would frankly be shocking at this point barring injury

I like to goof around about Cager, but the guy has managed to stick for a couple of years. Maybe the move to TE will help hide his tiny hands with easier to catch short range passes(?). He has had a few good practices, though, and adds value on special teams. 

I’ve also been bullish on Wesco. We’ll see. Could come down to philosophy. Do they need the dedicated blocker or the dedicated receiver for the offense they plan to run this year? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

Too many ahead of him but maybe they get creative. Interested to see if they do something like keep him over Mims. 

I doubt they keep him.  Soundslike ther eally like him, but Saleh's commetns that he has a longway to go in the run game make me think he is more likley a PS guy.  Unless he would be ready to contribute as a regular on STs.  Mims v Cager for a roster spot could come down to who gives more on Special teams.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

…….Or how to give depositions against insurance companies that don’t want to pay out and pushy attorneys. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I like to goof around about Cager, but the guy has managed to stick for a couple of years. Maybe the move to TE will help hide his tiny hands with easier to catch short range passes(?). He has had a few good practices, though, and adds value on special teams. 

I’ve also been bullish on Wesco. We’ll see. Could come down to philosophy. Do they need the dedicated blocker or the dedicated receiver for the offense they plan to run this year? 

Not sure they are directly competing. I could see Cager sort of battling Jeff Smith/Mims for WR #5 or WR#6 and Wesco battling Bawden as FB/slash additional blocker.  I know as fans we get obsessed with fringe guys sometime but I just think Cager can bring some skills to the team that are unique.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

I doubt they keep him.  Soundslike ther eally like him, but Saleh's commetns that he has a longway to go in the run game make me think he is more likley a PS guy.  Unless he would be ready to contribute as a regular on STs.  Mims v Cager for a roster spot could come down to who gives more on Special teams.

Cager has been reported as lighting it up in special teams drills. Easy to forget that we lost Cager for a while last year. Jets are pretty invested in the guy,

On Clemons when he said NO about being happy it seemed not like a stock answer but what he really felt.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Au contraire. The Bills game was part of the famed Covenant Of The Last Five Games wherein Zach showed Vast Improvement toward the end of the year.

In a world where Zach was instructed to simply not turn the ball over, he did a fine job. Things you hear about that game might include that the Jets were starting Feeney and McDermott on the line, and that Jeff Smith would be on the field for 75% of the offensive snaps and be targeted twice with one catch for two yards. Or maybe that Zach was the team’s leading rusher that day with 24 yards. Of course, maybe all that was because Buffalo needed a win and/or Miami loss the last week of the season to secure the division. 

That was a rough day for Zach and the whole team. Zach needs to produce a lot better than that, obviously. But as much as we hear repeatedly that Zach was the lowest rated passer in the league last year, he wasn’t until after that last game. No one talks about that game in a positive light, outside of the lack of turnovers. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, slats said:

In a world where Zach was instructed to simply not turn the ball over, he did a fine job. 

Things you always want to hear about a # 2 overall pick.

Also weird that Saleh admitted that last year was essentially a "redshirt year", yet the coaches instructed Wilson to protect the ball, seemingly above all else.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1