Our DC

WowOhWow

Just now, munchmemory said:

Man, some in this fan base love excuses.  Owners, coaches, players;  everybody get to skate free.  Always someone else's fault, age, lack of weapons, etc.

Like it or not, Ulbrich owns a defense which was LAST in points allowed last season.  Fuk, I could have coached that unit to last.  Johnson actually paid that fraud?   RBs consistently running up the gut on us at will.  Players out of position or generally unprepared.  That's incompetence.  And Ulbrich's responsibility.   

C'mon can you honestly look at the defense from last season and say they should have been anything but a bottom tier unit.

I get it people were excited - Saleh coming in All gas no brakes, it will be the 49ers Defense , they'll be attacking etc...  They had so many young players in roles they weren't ready for , but it was an invaluable learning experience , in the same way I felt it was beneficial to have Zach start from day 1 last year.  These guys played under real fire and got burned often , but they'll be much better for it . In the NFL experience and continuity is a major factor in success rates, look at almost any successful franchise its rooted in a stable CS and consistency. 

Last year the Jets laid the groundwork getting young players major reps and experience  , this year they fortified both sides of the ball by bringing in Vets and rookies ( guys like Martin, Whitehead, Reed, Sauce , JJ, Conklin, Uzomah, Tomlinson, Hall, G. Wilson) . The Jets for first time in a long time are doing this the right way , it just requires more patience , which I know for Jets fans is extremely hard. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I think a bunch of folks on this board love to throw out the tired trope about being a jaded Jets fan whenever any topic raising concerns comes up.  I’ve watched enough good and bad football in my time to have an opinion. I’ve gone through many cycles of preseasons to know.  Some coaches are better coaches than others.  Our DC hasn’t proven a thing.  If you’re not concerned - tell me, what concerns you?  Nothing?  We’re in great shape?  Here’s the way I see it - all you geniuses can poke holes:

1 - the last two drafts and off seasons we’ve added a ton of talent.  I’m as bullish on these two offseasons as I’ve been in ages.

2. I liked the development I saw from our OC last year.  I believe he has a bright future.

3.  Lots criticized the Flacco signing.  I think he’ll be serviceable to better than serviceable.  Actually really glad he’s here.  
4.  Big JD fan.  I trust him.

5. but our DC - he talks pretty and bold but I haven’t seen a thing to bring me optimism. 
6. Lastly - I was very happy w the Salah hire.  I’m souring a bit.  I am still trying to figure out what his signature is?  Are we a nasty team?  Are we an exciting offensive team?  What are we?  He’s gotten a pass bc of the talent deficit.  But that excuse is going away fast…

Some good points.  I'm with you with Ulbrich.  Lafleur showed me a lot last year (especially when he moved up to the booth).  Ulbrich seemed to have no answers to his interior DL getting carved up week after week and couldn't get his back 7 to cover a TE or RB the entire season.  I think we had to have set an NFL record last year for most 3rd and 10+ conversions allowed... 

19 minutes ago, laurenceofarabia said:

He celebrated Quincy Williams hit at the moment it occurred. Jumping in the air, raising his arms in jubilation. The ref was right behind him and threw the flag.

He showed zero awareness there. It was obviously out of bounds.

This is not a good sign, imo.

We need to be aware how the team is perceived. I.e. not a late hitting out of control defense, but a focused, aware and tough.

Be a leader.

Sent from my SM-S908U using JetNation.com mobile app

His lack of leadership led to only 2 penalties in a preseason game and we’re supposed to complain of,the perception around the league over a hit where QW obviously lost track of where he was on the field by turning it into a dirty hit?  Really?  
The first comment made by a media type or ex player brings up about Saleh is his leadership, rightly or wrongly.  That’s the perception of the guy. 

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Some good points.  I'm with you with Ulbrich.  Lafleur showed me a lot last year (especially when he moved up to the booth).  Ulbrich seemed to have no answers to his interior DL getting carved up week after week and couldn't get his back 7 to cover a TE or RB the entire season.  I think we had to have set an NFL record last year for most 3rd and 10+ conversions allowed... 

But go back and read the quotes about Lafleur from early in the season last year. He's just a name , because Saleh knew his brother blah blah blah , he sucks , has no creativity. Give it time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But go back and read the quotes about Lafleur from early in the season last year. He's just a name , because Saleh knew his brother blah blah blah , he sucks , has no creativity. Give it time. 

Not sure.  You have roughly the same cast of characters this year as you did last year defending the run (at least between the tackles).  And you have the same group of LB's + Alexander.  Good coaches get the best out of their players.  We'll just have to see, but I'm skeptical about both Ulbrich and Saleh being able to coach a top defense without a bunch of all pros and future HOFers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Can we reserve judgment until at least week 3 maybe 4. We added some good players and still need more pieces,  let see how our accusations play out in this defense scheme before we judge. They aren’t going to show many defense schemes in the pre season. 

If the defense has not improved or looks halfway decent, ok then it’s time to question some decision making by the CS and the DQ. That’s as optimistic as I can be right know.

11 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Not sure.  You have roughly the same cast of characters this year as you did last year defending the run (at least between the tackles).  And you have the same group of LB's + Alexander.  Good coaches get the best out of their players.  We'll just have to see, but I'm skeptical about both Ulbrich and Saleh being able to coach a top defense without a bunch of all pros and future HOFers.

Not so sure.  The DL had injuries from week to week, JFM played a big part of the season out of position.  Lawson missed every game.  Joyner missed the season, Maye was lost eventually.  We picked Quincey up off the street in season, CJ was playing for the 1st time in 3 years.  Hall was forced into starting which was fine but the other corner positions were in a constant flux. We were signing castoffs off the street and starting them.  
If it’s the same this year the D will struggle again.  There’s no coach who could have changed the outcome given what the D went through last season 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I fully realize he has no talent and a very young group of players last year.  But he had a year with them.  Now he got some new blood via the draft and free agency.  And the defense still can’t stop anyone.  Even with Zach’s struggles (Legit concern there) the job our DC has done is my biggest concern.  Our first PS game they looked pathetic.  Am I over reacting?  What evidence is there our defense can stop anyone?  I haven’t seen it.  

Every time this  Op starts a new Topic.

3 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

So all of you feel good about our DC?  No concerns?  All is OK?  

image.gif.a0836039685161c33ff887be4ff1a5de.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

C'mon can you honestly look at the defense from last season and say they should have been anything but a bottom tier unit.

I get it people were excited - Saleh coming in All gas no brakes, it will be the 49ers Defense , they'll be attacking etc...  They had so many young players in roles they weren't ready for , but it was an invaluable learning experience , in the same way I felt it was beneficial to have Zach start from day 1 last year.  These guys played under real fire and got burned often , but they'll be much better for it . In the NFL experience and continuity is a major factor in success rates, look at almost any successful franchise its rooted in a stable CS and consistency. 

Last year the Jets laid the groundwork getting young players major reps and experience  , this year they fortified both sides of the ball by bringing in Vets and rookies ( guys like Martin, Whitehead, Reed, Sauce , JJ, Conklin, Uzomah, Tomlinson, Hall, G. Wilson) . The Jets for first time in a long time are doing this the right way , it just requires more patience , which I know for Jets fans is extremely hard. 

Honestly, I hear and understand what you're saying, 56.  After all the injuries, new scheme, etc., I was not expecting a stellar defense.  But dead last in points allowed?  No one saw that coming, even with the injuries/paucity of draft picks/talent.

I guess my issue was reading JW Namath's appraisal of Ulbrich: "Ulbrich is one of the best young defensive minds in the league.  We are lucky to have him."   If that were true, why wouldn't Ulbrich have pared down the scheme/approach to make the injury-plagued unit more successful?  Get creative.  Think outside the box (no pun).   Instead, we all saw that unit getting gashed or thrown on all season.  Most of the time, they looked unprepared or somewhat disinterested.   Sorry, but that's on Ulbrich and Saleh.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I guess my issue was reading JW Namath's appraisal of Ulbrich: "Ulbrich is one of the best young defensive minds in the league.  We are lucky to have him."

That was the problem. JW has solid green glasses. Ulbrich still has a lot to prove and with the additions to the defense this year we should see a massive improvement. If not, there certainly is reason to question his ability to be a DC.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Joejet said:

That was the problem. JW has solid green glasses. Ulbrich still has a lot to prove and with the additions to the defense this year we should see a massive improvement. If not, there certainly is reason to question his ability to be a DC.

Look, if Ulbrich's D performs like last season?  He's gone.  And maybe Saleh and JD, too.   No one will survive another 2-4 win year.

As for JW, after he leaped from the Jet Super Bowl bandwagon, I'm in shock he even had the balls to make such effusive pronouncements again.  Damn, he bolted faster than Mussolini and Petacci running from the partigiani.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Sigh 

all defenses want pass rush and rely on talent but this defense in particular requires it. Not only pass rush, but QUICK pressure. The wide 9 is basically Gastineau. Rush every play and let your team mates clean up if it’s not a pass. 

Ulbrich said it himself, if the QB gets to his 2nd or 3rd read this defense struggles. 

The wide 9 needs to be a pro bowl player. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I fully realize he has no talent and a very young group of players last year.  But he had a year with them.  Now he got some new blood via the draft and free agency.  And the defense still can’t stop anyone.  Even with Zach’s struggles (Legit concern there) the job our DC has done is my biggest concern.  Our first PS game they looked pathetic.  Am I over reacting?  What evidence is there our defense can stop anyone?  I haven’t seen it.  

Well, the season hasnt started yet so yes, you're definitely overreacting but if you really want to decide right now in August what this defense is, the joint scrimmages are 100x more meaningful than preseason games and the D has completely dominated the Falcons..

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sigh 

all defenses want pass rush and rely on talent but this defense in particular requires it. Not only pass rush, but QUICK pressure. The wide 9 is basically Gastineau. Rush every play and let your team mates clean up if it’s not a pass. 

Ulbrich said it himself, if the QB gets to his 2nd or 3rd read this defense struggles. 

The wide 9 needs to be a pro bowl player. 

I hear you, but, I think the roots of this defense come from Seattle's Legion of Boom glory days (Saleh from Carroll and Gus Bradley, and Ulbrich from Quinn in Atlanta) and the strength of that team really was on the back end with Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Wagner as the Mike, etc.  I think Bennett might have been their only DL to make a Pro Bowl (not sure).  

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

I hear you, but, I think the roots of this defense come from Seattle's Legion of Boom glory days (Saleh from Carroll and Gus Bradley, and Ulbrich from Quinn in Atlanta) and the strength of that team really was on the back end with Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Wagner as the Mike, etc.  I think Bennett might have been their only DL to make a Pro Bowl (not sure).  

my post is based on what the DC said. You didn’t hear him lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Look, if Ulbrich's D performs like last season?  He's gone.  And maybe Saleh and JD, too.   No one will survive another 2-4 win year.

As for JW, after he leaped from the Jet Super Bowl bandwagon, I'm in shock he even had the balls to make such effusive pronouncements again.  Damn, he bolted faster than Mussolini and Petacci running from the partigiani.

GIF by SB Nation

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have the ability to see the forest for the trees.  How the defense performed last year has 0 bearing on how the D will be this year.  Ulbrich is a stud.  The guy is super smart, has a great plan and now has the players to execute that plan.

You were probably one of the guys who wanted lafluer fired by week 5 last year.  Have some patience brother.

You realize you can't attually see the forest from eye level.  It's a metaphor.  If you could see the forest for the trees you would have never chosen to be a Jets fan. 

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think we're just pointing out that our DC is the weakest link on the entire team.  It's an important job so that sux.    

He may very well be the weakest link in the team. That is a distinct possibility. But last year the squad was decimated by injury and the ones who made it through were super young and either in the league for the first year or learning a new system or both. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I think a bunch of folks on this board love to throw out the tired trope about being a jaded Jets fan whenever any topic raising concerns comes up.  I’ve watched enough good and bad football in my time to have an opinion. I’ve gone through many cycles of preseasons to know.  Some coaches are better coaches than others.  Our DC hasn’t proven a thing.  If you’re not concerned - tell me, what concerns you?  Nothing?  We’re in great shape?  Here’s the way I see it - all you geniuses can poke holes:

1 - the last two drafts and off seasons we’ve added a ton of talent.  I’m as bullish on these two offseasons as I’ve been in ages.

2. I liked the development I saw from our OC last year.  I believe he has a bright future.

3.  Lots criticized the Flacco signing.  I think he’ll be serviceable to better than serviceable.  Actually really glad he’s here.  
4.  Big JD fan.  I trust him.

5. but our DC - he talks pretty and bold but I haven’t seen a thing to bring me optimism. 
6. Lastly - I was very happy w the Salah hire.  I’m souring a bit.  I am still trying to figure out what his signature is?  Are we a nasty team?  Are we an exciting offensive team?  What are we?  He’s gotten a pass bc of the talent deficit.  But that excuse is going away fast…

Ulbrich may very well suck donkey balls through a bull urethra. I’m not arguing that. He has a lot to prove. I have not been impressed with him at all and I am not defending him per se. I’m just pointing out that it’s two drives in the first preseason game that’s driving your point. For someone who’s seen so much football, I’m surprised this is an issue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Ulbrich may very well suck donkey balls through a bull urethra. I’m not arguing that. He has a lot to prove. I have not been impressed with him at all and I am not defending him per se. I’m just pointing out that it’s two drives in the first preseason game that’s driving your point. For someone who’s seen so much football, I’m surprised this is an issue. 

It’s an issue because what I’ve seen is a coach that seems unable to put a defense on the field that is competitive.  For some reason you seem to be holding onto this notion that things will automatically change once the real season begins.  You’re even willing to go as far as to say you haven’t been impressed and you’re not going to argue it… but just because it’s preseason are not willing to say you’re concerned. I guess you’d rather wait until we’re really in trouble to actually have an opinion. 

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

So all of you feel good about our DC?  No concerns?  All is OK?  

I think there is reason to be concerned. I think from his comments last season about knowing how poorly the D played but he wasn't  going to change anything because they were starting to get the fundamentals of the D down was a horrible thing to say but he was a first time DC. I give him a mini pass for that but he does concern me in the same way Zach does. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

No offense, I respect that Ulbrich played in the league and had a nice career.

But last season was underwhelming to say the least, and he doesn’t exactly strike me as one of the smarter coaches in the league.

I would love to be wrong about this.

Let’s see what he can do with this talent he’s been handed.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There must be something in the water. A bunch of people seem to be acting like we've seen half of the 2022 regular season play out already. Strange.

“El Diablo sabe más por ser viejo que por ser diablo. “

The Devil knows more/can predict better due to being an old man (experience) rather than due to being the devil. 

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

No offense, I respect that Ulbrich played in the league and had a nice career.

But last season was underwhelming to say the least, and he doesn’t exactly strike me as one of the smarter coaches in the league.

I would love to be wrong about this.

Let’s see what he can do with this talent he’s been handed.

He’s a $hitty DC and it became quite evident as he FAILED to make halftime/late-game adjustments to the defense. LIKE COVERING THE WHEEL ROUTE!!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

It’s an issue because what I’ve seen is a coach that seems unable to put a defense on the field that is competitive.  For some reason you seem to be holding onto this notion that things will automatically change once the real season begins.  You’re even willing to go as far as to say you haven’t been impressed and you’re not going to argue it… but just because it’s preseason are not willing to say you’re concerned. I guess you’d rather wait until we’re really in trouble to actually have an opinion. 

I hold on to the notion because it’s true. Every year it’s true. The defense we see in preseason is always different than what we see in the regular season. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be better, but it will be different. It was two drives dude. They won the game, and didn’t allow many points at all in the second half. Waiting until they’re in trouble? Lol. What do you think is going to happen if I don’t?  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

That said - you have no concerns about our DC?  You’re good?  Cmon man.  Be real.  

I have concerns about every gm, coach, coordinator, player, waterboy, fan, and beer vendor until the NY Jets become a consistent winner. 

That said, I cannot make any judgements based on 1 year which the coaches did not even have anywhere near the talent to run their system. 

15 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

wait what the F