Jets seeking a fourth for Mims, rebuffed

T0mShane

8 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Of course, this is this guy's take. Who knows how true it is. Would it really take a 4th? Why a 4th? Jets have a cheap player that wants to play and busted his butt all off season to get into the best shape he has ever been. Why give that up for 4th that most likely won't work out? What are we going to get for a 4th? a starting OL? a starting safety?

You don't build a team by trading #2 picks for a fourth. They guys wants to play - use that as a carrot to get him to bust his butt all season. He will either climb the depth charts or push the others to achieve more. 

If the Jets are out of it before the trade deadline and he still hasn't panned out, then you can trade him. In the meantime, let's try to win some games with good WR depth.

And let’s face it: our WRs get hurt virtually every year (let’s hope not this year). He may get his chance. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The Pats got a 2024 7th round pick for N’Keal Harry.

And despite being a huge bust and carrying a bigger contract, in games that actually matter, he still has managed to reach paydirt 4 times compared to Mims’ zero. Expecting anything more than that is just goofy.

Mims has seemingly bought himself another year with the Jets, but anyone who thinks this guy is catching more than 10 balls this year (while committing at least half as many penalties) as the #5 wideout on the depth chart is kidding themselves.

I’ve loved the majority of JD’s roster moves to date, but Mims having a good game against a bunch of nobodies who have no future in the NFL doesn’t change my opinion.

I still would’ve rather had a Charles Irvin or Calvin Jackson make the 53.

He caught 8 balls last year barely playing, out for half the year and you're saying he cant catch 2 more balls this year?  lol  I understand your position here but there is really no reason to move Mims and/or have Jackson/Irvin on the 53.  Jackson is tiny and Irvin is slow, like, really slow, quite frankly, Tarik Black is the better talent of those 3 IMO and obviously nobody in the league wanted any of them while there are rumors that teams would part ways with a pick for Mims.  

So, when you considered how that nobody has any confidence in those 3 and Corey Davis has played 1 full season of Football in his career, Moore dealt with injuries all last year, Wilson is a rookie, Berrios plays a limited but valuable role, you never know, at any point in this season the Jets could be forced to played Mims and JD should drive a hard bargain for a 6'3 WR who runs a 4'3 and flashed as a rookie that I think they have confidence in playing if necessary. 

The other factor that I really cant speak to but I cant imagine any of these dudes would be effective on ST's.  Irvin runs with cement in his shoes, Jackson is tiny...not sure if they had Black playing them or not but I know they have Mims out there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

And let’s face it: our WRs get hurt virtually every year (let’s hope not this year). He may get his chance. 

When saleh said mims was one of their top 6 wrs, he was saying he’s behind 5 other guys, and truth I’m not sold that it’s only 5.  So they would need several wrs to get hurt for him to get meaningful snaps.  And then there’s always the chance that for a game or two they’d use more TEs, or someone like cager who’s becoming an interesting hybrid option.  Plus they have several rbs who can function as pass catching options.  My point is, the jets have way more options now than simply throwing mims out there and telling him to run the same few routes he did in august.  If they were willing to deal him for a 4th round pick, while Zach isn’t hurt bad and should play most of this season, you have to believe they’re more than comfortable with the other wrs they have to fill in for mims and not lose anything.  

From mims’ pov i understand, he wants to play and he should.  And he knows it’s not happening here.  Any chance he had of realistically seeing the field this season evaporated when they took garrett.  That said they are getting wrs who fit this system.  

11 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Actually his quote said that and then he went on to say that he brings things that other WRs don't and it depends on the game plan , blah, blah, blah - IOW he is making this roster, but hey...

Mims won't be active game one.  They'll have 5 WR's active and Mims won't be one of them.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

When saleh said mims was one of their top 6 wrs, he was saying he’s behind 5 other guys, and truth I’m not sold that it’s only 5.  So they would need several wrs to get hurt for him to get meaningful snaps.  And then there’s always the chance that for a game or two they’d use more TEs, or someone like cager who’s becoming an interesting hybrid option.  Plus they have several rbs who can function as pass catching options.  My point is, the jets have way more options now than simply throwing mims out there and telling him to run the same few routes he did in august.  If they were willing to deal him for a 4th round pick, while Zach isn’t hurt bad and should play most of this season, you have to believe they’re more than comfortable with the other wrs they have to fill in for mims and not lose anything.  

From mims’ pov i understand, he wants to play and he should.  And he knows it’s not happening here.  Any chance he had of realistically seeing the field this season evaporated when they took garrett.  That said they are getting wrs who fit this system.  

Not sure about that.  Corey Davis goes down, we will see Mims play.  And I say that as someone who is not a Mims fan to this point.  I expect he'll play at some point this season. 

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Not really ... he is still a body catcher ... can't high point a ball, cant extend his arms ... runs soft routes ... ... ... ..

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

7 targets.  7 catches.  It's one game, but clearly he's doing something right.  You can't go 8 for 7.

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You see what i see though ...right ?

I re-watched the highlights from the Giants game.  Most of those center mass catches were in traffic where you can't really extend your arms or risk having them tomahawked.  Honestly, he looked good to me but I'm no expert on this.

The catch at 1:00 was a little behind him and he pulled it in on the move pretty much perfectly and took the following hit.

The touchdown catch at 1:25 was not an easy catch at all.  

Here's his last catch.  It looks perfect to me.  Nowhere near the body.  Can't high point what isn't above your head.  And he's got nice separation.  I'm just not seeing the horror show some people here want to gaslight the board into believing.

image.png

To me, the biggest issue with him last year was the mental lapses.  Too many times he got flagged for various dumbass things.  That's a reason to bench him.  But there's been a lot less of that this preseason.  If he's got that cleaned up, he absolutely can be a contributor on offense this season.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I re-watched the highlights from the Giants game.  Most of those center mass catches were in traffic where you can't really extend your arms or risk having them tomahawked.  Honestly, he looked good to me but I'm no expert on this.

The catch at 1:00 was a little behind him and he pulled it in on the move pretty much perfectly and took the following hit.

The touchdown catch at 1:25 was not an easy catch at all.  

Here's his last catch.  It looks perfect to me.  Nowhere near the body.  Can't high point what isn't above your head.  And he's got nice separation.  I'm just not seeing the horror show some people here want to gaslight the board into believing.

image.png

I definitely have seen improvement ,... but that game nearly every catch was a body catch or arms not attacking the ball. This example i agree was a nice grab. BTW : Im on the record as one of the guys that hopes he puts it all together. Im pulling for the guy.

Edited by Dunnie

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

He caught 8 balls last year barely playing, out for half the year and you're saying he cant catch 2 more balls this year?  lol  I understand your position here but there is really no reason to move Mims and/or have Jackson/Irvin on the 53.  Jackson is tiny and Irvin is slow, like, really slow, quite frankly, Tarik Black is the better talent of those 3 IMO and obviously nobody in the league wanted any of them while there are rumors that teams would part ways with a pick for Mims.  

So, when you considered how that nobody has any confidence in those 3 and Corey Davis has played 1 full season of Football in his career, Moore dealt with injuries all last year, Wilson is a rookie, Berrios plays a limited but valuable role, you never know, at any point in this season the Jets could be forced to played Mims and JD should drive a hard bargain for a 6'3 WR who runs a 4'3 and flashed as a rookie that I think they have confidence in playing if necessary. 

The other factor that I really cant speak to but I cant imagine any of these dudes would be effective on ST's.  Irvin runs with cement in his shoes, Jackson is tiny...not sure if they had Black playing them or not but I know they have Mims out there. 

• Upvote 2

Mims looked pretty good the other night but it was an exhibition game. And as we all know he has been inconsistent since coming to the Jets. And part of the problem has been his ability to understand the game plan and follow it. And preparation. He's insisting on a trade unless they make him a starter, he could have a role on the team but it looks like issues with this player. He could just accept his current role and try to win a starting position by his play on the field. Because he hasn't really earned it via his past performances. Teams probably are low balling the Jets offering conditional picks like a 6th. 

13 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

B/c he’s worth a 7th, that’s why.  It doesn’t make sense for douglas to trade him unless he feels he gets a great deal.  So if he’s asking for a 4th that says a lot.  

Saleh said mims is a top 6 wr on the team, which means’ he’s 6th, which means they like 5 guys more than him.  So he’s really not seeing the field this year unless there’s a rash of injuries, and he’s most certainly not on the team next year either.

He’s worth more than a fourth round pick as WR insurance. What’s the likelihood that Davis, Moore, and Wilson all play 17 games this year? Corey Davis has played one full season in his entire career, and that’s the guy Mims is primarily backing up. I expect Mims to not only have chances on the field this season, but really have a chance to prove himself. Davis is under contract next year for $10.5M, none of it guaranteed. At a minimum, Mims will be in camp next year competing for a larger role, maybe Davis’, hopefully after putting up some numbers/tape this season. 

Also, the comments about his value reflect a lack of understanding of the WR market in the NFL right now. The position has changed a lot over the years. It used to be the norm for WRs to take two or three years to get up to NFL speed, now the norm is guys stepping in and starting, even dominating at times. There’s so much WR talent coming out of college every year nowadays that I expect salaries for the position to be revalued, much in the way RB went from being a premier position often drafted in the top couple picks to the one of the lowest paid positions in the sport. 

It's going to be interesting to see if he's active Week 1.  Probably comes down to Mims vs. Jeff Smith for one spot.  I think they dress 48 this year so 5 players have to sit.  Guessing Zach, Ruckert, Knight, Huff or Clemons, and one of the WRs although it could be Adams or Hardee, leaving 6 WRs active.  

2 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s worth more than a fourth round pick as WR insurance. What’s the likelihood that Davis, Moore, and Wilson all play 17 games this year? Corey Davis has played one full season in his entire career, and that’s the guy Mims is primarily backing up. I expect Mims to not only have chances on the field this season, but really have a chance to prove himself. Davis is under contract next year for $10.5M, none of it guaranteed. At a minimum, Mims will be in camp next year competing for a larger role, maybe Davis’, hopefully after putting up some numbers/tape this season. 

Also, the comments about his value reflect a lack of understanding of the WR market in the NFL right now. The position has changed a lot over the years. It used to be the norm for WRs to take two or three years to get up to NFL speed, now the norm is guys stepping in and starting, even dominating at times. There’s so much WR talent coming out of college every year nowadays that I expect salaries for the position to be revalued, much in the way RB went from being a premier position often drafted in the top couple picks to the one of the lowest paid positions in the sport. 

The coaching staff does not seem to value him much, with saleh saying he’s “one of their top 6 wrs”. That’s pretty insulting that in year 3 he’s not even in a wr set that has 4 wrs, and if one guy gets hurt, he’s probably not even the 5th wr.  And now they have real TEs too, not to mention a guy like cager who is turning into a real hybrid weapon.  So I”m not sure how much the coaching staff values him as pure insurance.  And next year is a different animal, the jets could sign another FA or draft another wr.  Truth, if mims were not a 2nd round pick, would he have been cut already, probably.  He’s not a better wr than some of the PS guys, doesn’t fit their system (for better or worse), and doesn’t seem to be the physical wr we thought we were getting.  He’s not a box out guy, he’s not the pure speed guy he tested at the combine, he’s not the sure handed guy, so what is he?  I think a 3 wr set with good TEs and rbs who can catch will be more appealing to the jet coaches than throwing mims out there and hoping he doesn’t get a false start penalty.  I just think even with an injury the jets will work around mims rather than try to incorporate him, but here’s wishing I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The coaching staff does not seem to value him much, with saleh saying he’s “one of their top 6 wrs”. That’s pretty insulting that in year 3 he’s not even in a wr set that has 4 wrs, and if one guy gets hurt, he’s probably not even the 5th wr.  And now they have real TEs too, not to mention a guy like cager who is turning into a real hybrid weapon.  So I”m not sure how much the coaching staff values him as pure insurance.  And next year is a different animal, the jets could sign another FA or draft another wr.  Truth, if mims were not a 2nd round pick, would he have been cut already, probably.  He’s not a better wr than some of the PS guys, doesn’t fit their system (for better or worse), and doesn’t seem to be the physical wr we thought we were getting.  He’s not a box out guy, he’s not the pure speed guy he tested at the combine, he’s not the sure handed guy, so what is he?  I think a 3 wr set with good TEs and rbs who can catch will be more appealing to the jet coaches than throwing mims out there and hoping he doesn’t get a false start penalty.  I just think even with an injury the jets will work around mims rather than try to incorporate him, but here’s wishing I’m wrong.

Trust is a two way street and Mims did very little his first two years in the league to earn any. The fact that he was a second round pick reflects his natural ability. He’s big, he’s fast, and it looked like he could catch the football the other day, too. A future fourth round pick would do nothing for the Jets this season except weaken the WR group. 

Listen, they obviously worked around him last year, but last year he had a bunch of issues, too. This year he came in focused and everyone has noticed. I don’t know what the future is going to bring for him, but I do think he’ll be treated differently than he was last year. He may be inactive week one but, if last year is any indication, the backup WRs on this team are gonna see the field. If Mims gets out there, he’ll have a chance to not only prove himself to the Jets, but maybe be worth that fourth or more in trade next year when he’s still under contract cheap. 

Mims is likely a dude who lacks confidence and simply isn’t going to respond well to Saleh pushing the never-was no-talent Jeff Smith in their faces at every practice. If Mims gets with a coach that dedicates a few plays every week to getting him the ball so he feels engaged in the process, he’ll probably do pretty well. He’s from Texas and would likely love to go to Dallas, where the need receiver help, and you could envision him having a 45/650/7 TD season there. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Mims is likely a dude who lacks confidence and simply isn’t going to respond well to Saleh pushing the never-was no-talent Jeff Smith in their faces at every practice. If Mims gets with a coach that dedicates a few plays every week to getting him the ball so he feels engaged in the process, he’ll probably do pretty well. He’s from Texas and would likely love to go to Dallas, where the need receiver help, and you could envision him having a 45/650/7 TD season there. 

Aren't teams allowed to dress more players this year than they have been in the past?

I realize this is a longshot but I'm still hoping that things will still work out for Mims here.  His rookie season he looked like a productive WR.  Feels to me like he's overqualified for the #5 or #6 WR spot.  He seems like the kind of guy who has the ability to step up to a #2 guy if the team was hit by injury bug.