Zach Wilson: "Could Be Ready for Week 1"

32 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Why does Wilson need to show more than Allen?  This makes no sense.

I can understand where he's coming from there.  98+ % of the time a QB's 2nd year plays out like Allen's did, he fails to ever become a franchise QB.  Josh Allen is an outlier of the highest order.  

So, yeah, as a passer, we need Wilson to perform better than Josh Allen did in year 2 of his career for him to have strong odds of being "the guy".

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Progress.  Growth.  Showing he can recognize a problem and fix it.  I think that’s a very good sign.  Something to build on and believe in. 

Selective memory.

He came back to training camp this season and dirted short passes literally on day 1.

Went out in 1st 2 drives or preseason vs Vanilla defense and:

1) Stared down Corey Davis (just like last season) for ugly INT on quick slant

2) Slid his own knee out of place stupidly cutting back into the field of play instead of just going out of bounds 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

ZW is a kid, like literally still a child.  Debating his future on a website is foolish.  He either will or he won’t this year but either way the team as a whole is much better than it was a year ago and still not all the way there.    If Zach isn’t the answer then we’ll find someone else next year but the endless ZW debates will hopefully slow down when the season actually starts 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

ZW is a kid, like literally still a child.  Debating his future on a website is foolish.  He either will or he won’t this year but either way the team as a whole is much better than it was a year ago and still not all the way there.    If Zach isn’t the answer then we’ll find someone else next year but the endless ZW debates will hopefully slow down when the season actually starts 

Discussing a football player's future on a website is not foolish (ever been on a draft forum??). But believing that what is said on a website can effect his outcome is foolish.

And no, a 23 year old man is not “literally a child.” 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Selective memory.

He came back to training camp this season and dirted short passes literally on day 1.

2) Slid his own knee out of place stupidly cutting back into the field of play instead of just going out of bounds 

Exceptional athlete.

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can understand where he's coming from there.  98+ % of the time a QB's 2nd year plays out like Allen's did, he fails to ever become a franchise QB.  Josh Allen is an outlier of the highest order.  

So, yeah, as a passer, we need Wilson to perform better than Josh Allen did in year 2 of his career for him to have strong odds of being "the guy".

If he puts up Josh Allen's exact 2nd year, we all know people will tell us he's on the Josh Allen path and be angry at those who don't see it.

It's a trap to say he needs to be better than Allen -- an attempt to appear objective -- but the goal posts will undoubtedly move as the excuse machinery runs overtime.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

Discussing a football player's future on a website is not foolish (even been on a draft forum??). But believing that what is said on a website can effect his outcome is foolish.

And no, a 23 year old man is not “literally a child.” 

And not figuratively a child either.

I swear every young Jets QB who sucks is always talked about like he’s a little boy.  “Sweet Sammy”.  Creepy stuff.  

Meanwhile Justin Herbert threw for 31 TDs as an age 22 rookie.  Impressive stuff for a child.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Becoming a franchise QB is an outlier. 

• Upvote 3

Not nearly as much of an outlier as Josh Allen having an unprecedented jump in accuracy after being an inaccurate passer all 4 years of college as well as his first 2 in the pros. 

Wilson was a pretty accurate passer in college, so I don’t think he has quite the hurdle to be decent. I think his inaccuracy at times last year stemmed from him rushing because the game was too fast for him and he had trouble being decisive early in the season. 

I think these things will both improve as he plays more and the game slows down for him. 

biggest concern with Wilson by far is the flimsy knee. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Ravens are a lock for at least 28 points vs. Jets.

How does the Jets offense score more than that, no matter who the QB is? 

Pound the run game to keep theRavens defense honest with A LOT of Hall and Carter draws, sweeps, and screens/dumps in the flat; to the point that it keeps the Baltimore offense off the field as the Jets chip away dunking and dunking. Once Ravens start sending the sink, you let EMoore & GWilson just go deep and expose the Ravens safeties 

Yeah because my brother in law who has a, ya know, job, career, family, wife, bills to pay, etc. wants you mouth breathing, hot cheeto consuming slobs to see his face and start looking at him, googling him and researching him.
no thanks.
enjoy my tax dollars hard at work.

Ok Sar 1.

We don’t give a **** about your alleged family member to google him. And I’m pretty sure you’re more of a slob than I am. You’re the one who volunteered random third party information.

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Selective memory.

He dieted passes on day one?  Lol.  Sure he did.

He threw a pick in a preseason game, yes he did. 
You know what’s annoying stupid?  The idea that cutting up field, to an open part of the field where he didn’t get hit was stupid.  The amount of MMQBing on that play is comical.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I am just saying why rush the kid back, have you not learned anything being a Jets fan about injuries and rushing players back and how it usually ends up. Like I said in many posts, why take the risk for a week or two. People need to chill the F out nobody is bashing Wilson,  we just want to see things done right not just for the media whores and ratings. 
It’s a long season and Wilson has been injured twice and hasn’t finished a season. 

What is it do you just want to see him in the home opener is that what the goal is or would you prefer, hopefully, long term success. 

I think you misunderstood my disagreement with your original post. You stated you wanted Zach to practice with the ones for a few weeks before he would see the field in games. My point was you can't do that because whoever the starter is has to get the first team reps in practice to prepare for the game. Practice time is limited and you can't have your starter going into a game cold just to help prepare Zach for a few weeks down the road. The idea is to win games. The starter practices with the ones 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He dieted passes on day one?  Lol.  Sure he did.

He threw a pick in a preseason game, yes he did. 
You know what’s annoying stupid?  The idea that cutting up field, to an open part of the field where he didn’t get hit was stupid.  The amount of MMQBing on that play is comical.  

Wilson was excellent week 1 preseason.  The interception was a fluke. Injuries can happen to anyone.  I think he’s at a minimum the 4th or 5th best qb in the nfl at the end of this season 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I see him in the broadcasting end of things ultimately. Hope he does well this year. He’s got a lot of talent. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, williecrystal said:

Wilson was excellent week 1 preseason.  The interception was a fluke. Injuries can happen to anyone.  I think he’s at a minimum the 4th or 5th best qb in the nfl at the end of this season 

Oh this is that thing where you say something goofy so that it makes your argument look smart in comparison 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Becoming a franchise QB is an outlier. 

Exactly! So why the meltdowns when people are skeptical? Isn’t that the bloody smart position to take with any QB, especially one with such a bad rookie year?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Silly people.   He’s not even elusive!!  A totally reasonable take as well.  

Compared to Lamar Jackson, he is not.

Compared to Flacco, sure.

But yes, I know you’ll keep beating on this point every time he scrambles for 6 yards because it’s the only thing that resembles a “gotcha” you have on me (which is saying something given how much I’ve written about this particular player). It’s also a really weak way to try to distract that you said he’s a good passer — when he’s the worst in the league. Oh but how dare I say “he isn’t really all that elusive” (or whatever my words were this is the most niche point anyone has ever tried to turn into a federal case on here with me, I honestly don’t remember my exact words).

Oh, and he really isn’t that elusive. He was the third most sacked QB last year and he missed 5 games. He does have decent long-stride speed for a QB (top 20% in the 40) but I haven’t seen anything in his change-of-direction and “shake” to indicate notable “elusivity.”

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And not figuratively a child either.

I swear every young Jets QB who sucks is always talked about like he’s a little boy.  “Sweet Sammy”.  Creepy stuff.  

Meanwhile Justin Herbert threw for 31 TDs as an age 22 rookie.  Impressive stuff for a child.  

Whenever I see a post refer to a player as “kid,” I know some schmaltz is incoming.

Does anyone ever say “that kid sucks?” No, it’s a (probably) subconscious signal/nudge people communicate to others to “go easy on him.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Compared to Lamar Jackson, he is not.

Compared to Flacco, sure.

But yes, I know you’ll keep beating on this point every time he scrambles for 6 yards because it’s the only thing that resembles a “gotcha” you have on me (which is saying something given how much I’ve written about this particular player). It’s also a really weak way to try to distract that you said he’s a good passer — when he’s the worst in the league. Oh but how dare I say “he isn’t really all that elusive” (or whatever my words were this is the most niche point anyone has ever tried to turn into a federal case on here with me, I honestly don’t remember my exact words).

Oh, and he really isn’t that elusive. He was the third most sacked QB last year and he missed 5 games. He does have decent long-stride speed for a QB (top 20% in the 40) but I haven’t seen anything in his change-of-direction and “shake” to indicate notable “elusivity.”

Lamar Jackson was the 8th most sacked QB, 5th with ties… 

^ @ 40 seconds, 5 mins into his nfl career. That is Brian Burns, one of the most athletic DEs in the NFL. If he can do that to him he can do it to anyone. 

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Why??? Our D sucks that bad or their offense is that good???   But you just may be right….  I can see the Kyle Wilson finger wag now?

Seeing our Defense in live-fire Week 1 is one of the things I am most intrigued/excited to see.

We were the worst Defense in Franchise history last year.  I expect to see an immediate and substantial rise in play quality, especially at pass rush.

We could still suck, sure.  But we also maybe might not.....and THAT is a bit exciting! 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's generally what happens on the internet when random low-post-count posters make wild unlikely claims they cannot support. 

They get mocked and people make jokes.  I, for one, thought my joke was pretty darn tame.  Hardly "tearing his ass off".

If I start a thread today saying "Trust me, I can't tell you how I know, but my brosef knows Flacco personally, and he assures me he is starting Week 1", I'm gonna get the same treatment.   

That's just how it works online.  Because 99% of such claims are pure BS. 

You never have to read it.  You have all the power over the content you consume here and from whom you consume it.  

Also, you have what, 500 posts over 16 years here at JN?  Perhaps you should help create the content here in this community.  Post more often, have a say, speak your mind. 

Communities reflect their most active participants.  Respectfully, a guy with 500 posts over 16 years is basically a passive consumer of this community, not an active member.  If you really want to improve the discourse, or change the various narratives, then be more active.  

2-4 week injury healed in 4 weeks ….“wildly unlikely”

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

2-4 week injury healed in 4 weeks ….“wildly unlikely”

I believe you missed the point:

It's not wildly unlikely that Zach starts week 1.  In fact that is what I expect to happen, all things considered.

It's unlikely the OP or his brother-in-law knows Zach Wilson, and knows him well enough to get direct, personal assurances that he is definitely starting Week 1.

Not impossible, of course, to be clear.  Just unlikely. 

Of course, some folks here at JN are, in fact, actual insiders, and do know people.  If one of them was the OP making the claim, it would carry some weight.  After all, we do have both team staff and media members here, albeit mostly keeping quiet or avoiding outing themselves.  

• Upvote 1