OT: Baker Mayfield - What Happened?

slimjasi

Ok, so I know we have a lot of guys on JN who were really high on Baker coming into that 2018 draft. Then, he had an awesome rookie season. But four years into his career, that promising first year is a distant memory and he is now dangerously close to being dumped by his second team. He got taken before we picked that year, so it's not really about the Jets, but just wondering  what folks on here think of him going forward? Does he just suck now? Is he salvageable? Will Carolina bench him for Darnold when he comes off IR? Should the Panthers have just kept Teddy Bridgewater in the first place? 

I think it's fascinating to look back at that 2018 draft class. Allen and Lamar have really run away with the top two QB spots. 

Zach Wilson currently is far behind where Baker was in his year 2.   Baker had some great games, made the playoffs and provided the Browns fans with good entertainment.   The Browns exercised his 5th year option and then traded him to the Panthers for partial/low recovery on this guaranteed salary and some draft picks. 

Let's see what the Jets do with Zach's 5th year option at the end of his year 3.  I think Zach will provide the Jets fans with some entertaining football, but I am not seeing them exercise the option.  FT Wilson if he is good after year 4.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 8
  • Haha 2

when he met the random girl in the cheesecake factory parking lot for b!ow job, I was concerned that he was losing sight of his career goals and was getting caught up in celebrity. The insurance commercials only drove that point home. I had though that being thrown away by the Browns would resurrect his desire to put in the work to improve his play, but I've watched him play a couple of times and he has not grown at all as a QB. He still has the skills to be a successful NFL QB, but that requires him to put in the work on the mental side of things and he is unwilling or perhaps unable to do so. 

• Upvote 1

Dunno. He didn’t have an elite profile coming out but he had elite production which is where most good QBs from.

Some defensive coaches figured him out and played deeper forcing him to throw short where his height worked against him. They forced him to play in the middle of the field and he couldn’t adjust to the tight windows. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You excel at making dumb statements, but this one is going to be tough to beat.

I mean, the majority of the Panthers fanbase is begging for Darnold right now and can’t wait for him to return from his ankle injury.

That’s how sh*tastic Mayfield has been in Carolina.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I mean, the majority of the Panthers fanbase is begging for Darnold right now and can’t wait for him to return from his ankle injury.

That’s how sh*tastic Mayfield has been in Carolina.

Granted, Baker has been really bad. He’s getting booed, and deservedly so.
I live in the Carolinas. Nobody who understands football wants to see Darnold play again. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

when he met the random girl in the cheesecake factory parking lot for b!ow job, I was concerned that he was losing sight of his career goals and was getting caught up in celebrity. The insurance commercials only drove that point home. I had though that being thrown away by the Browns would resurrect his desire to put in the work to improve his play, but I've watched him play a couple of times and he has not grown at all as a QB. He still has the skills to be a successful NFL QB, but that requires him to put in the work on the mental side of things and he is unwilling or perhaps unable to do so. 

Thanks for the expert analysis. 
The blow job was the beginning of the end, huh? ??????