Who was your favorite non-Jets players as a kid?

This thread makes me feel so sad, the game used to be awesome when these guys played, now meh different game almost.
Fantasy Football and Legalized Betting destroyed the game u once loved ... I know this, for I too suffer the same malaise

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Elway

Randall Cunningham

Barry Sanders

Marshall Faulk

Jerry Rice

Mike Singletary

Steve Atwater (yeah, I know he eventually played for the Jets)

Back in the day on this forum any time you’d try to type Atwater, the JN swear filter would give you A****er. Good times. And congrats to the word twat for getting set free. 

• Haha 3

This thread cracks me up because when I was good at Madden - maybe 98-2000, my cousins would get mad because I would trade for my all-time team.   I would usually start with the 70s Oilers and then trade for the guys I wanted.  Bert Jones and Lem Barney were two of my first choices.  Isaac Curtis, Curly Culp, Otis Sistrunk, Buck Buchanan.  Some of the Oilers teams already had Dave Casper. It would take forever and we never could save it properly.  Then they would take all-time Giants and I would be a 9 point underdog.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Warren Moon

Karl Mecklenburg

Kevin Greene

Kind of an interesting story regarding Kevin Greene.

the night before the saints game I am in a local store and see this guy wearing pajama pants With jet logos all over them, matching shirt and green/white sneakers. Also wore glasses. He was standing about 20 feet from me and I am thinking ok this guy is a bit over the top but ok.

I am walking past him and stop dead in my tracks - it is Kevin Greene.

we speak for a minute or two and I tell him I loved watching him play except for when he was on the Steelers.

We talked about the game on Sunday and I wished him well.

The bizarre part of all of this is no one has a clue that an nfl hall of famer is in this store.

about 50 or more people walked by him and had no clue who he was.

very nice guy. Shame he is gone too soon

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

18 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I put Lance Alworth.   But should have added John Hadl, who had great touch on the long ball.   I guess if I'm honest, I should include Daryle Lamonica and Fred Biletnikoff, who were fun to watch with those long bombs but who I hated along with the rest of the Raiders.

Dont forget Warren Wells on the other side of Biletnikoff... I remember Hadl and Alworth because for some reason {even though I was in NYC) they always showed the Chargers as the 4 o clock game.. I remember the rb Dickie Post.. And speaking of Lance Alworth, it was easy to get him mixed up with Lance Renzl on the Cowboys 

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Dont forget Warren Wells on the other side of Biletnikoff... I remember Hadl and Alworth because for some reason {even though I was in NYC) they always showed the Chargers as the 4 o clock game.. I remember the rb Dickie Post.. And speaking of Lance Alworth, it was easy to get him mixed up with Lance Renzl on the Cowboys 

You're even older than me!  I don't remember Warren Wells.  For me it was Cliff Branch.  Any time a pass hit the tree it was "Cliff Branch."  If it was the basketball it was "Tree Rollins."  When you are under 12 that is high brow humor. 

My Dad didn't like Alworth because he was a Maynard man. 

I liked Terry Metcalf, Mel Gray and Jim Hart - earlier Air Coryell QB.  WIlbert Montgomery, Lydell Mitchell, the aforementioned Lawrence McCutcheon and the Pruitts were among my favorite RBs.. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

You're right about the Chargers' games; they were on a lot.   As a kid, I thought their uniforms were the coolest thing.  

Good get on Wells.  Great receiver who wound up with a ton of legal problems.

• Upvote 1

Adrian Peterson was my favorite guy on offense. I loved the fact that there was a back who could carry an entire offense by simply being bigger, faster, stronger than the rest of the defense. Like Derrick Henry if he had elite acceleration and a full repertoire of jukes.

Defensively I loved luke Kuechly. I played linebacker growing up and I loved his instincts. Being able to get to the ball carrier two steps before everyone else and bring him down 99/100 amazed me. That's ignoring the fact he was capable of going step for step with Julio Jones down the field

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Kind of an interesting story regarding Kevin Greene.

the night before the saints game I am in a local store and see this guy wearing pajama pants With jet logos all over them, matching shirt and green/white sneakers. Also wore glasses. He was standing about 20 feet from me and I am thinking ok this guy is a bit over the top but ok.

I am walking past him and stop dead in my tracks - it is Kevin Greene.

we speak for a minute or two and I tell him I loved watching him play except for when he was on the Steelers.

We talked about the game on Sunday and I wished him well.

The bizarre part of all of this is no one has a clue that an nfl hall of famer is in this store.

about 50 or more people walked by him and had no clue who he was.

very nice guy. Shame he is gone too soon

I never met him, but he was a big Mopar collector.  I know he had a '71 Hemi Charger and a Hemi Daytona.  I know he wrestled and Goldberg is another big Mopar guy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I never met him, but he was a big Mopar collector.  I know he had a '71 Hemi Charger and a Hemi Daytona.  I know he wrestled and Goldberg is another big Mopar guy. 

So is Bart Scott.

would see him around town quite a bit in a challenger hellcat.

• Upvote 1

Barry Sanders
Deion Sanders
Ronnie Lott (really became a fan of his when he was a Jet)

When I got a little older I really enjoyed watching Ray Lewis and Ed Reed....always enjoyed watching dominant defense over offense.

Mike Vick and Jeremy Shockey (early Shockey) were awesome to watch too on the offensive side of the ball.

Devin Hester was electric as a return man, big-time playmaker!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:49 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Do you remember the Rams DE Jack Youngblood?   He was mine.  I was a DE in HS and he was the NFL player I wanted to be like.  

Loved Youngblood awesome player

Fred Biletnikoff

Earl Campbell

Walter Peyton

Lawrence Taylor (even though I hated the Giants LT was just too damn good to be ignored)

Bert Jones

Joe Montana 

Roger Craig

Tom Rathman 

But My favorite Player of all time is a Jet and its Joe Klecko hands down

• Upvote 1