This team handled Zach Wilson wrong

ZachStepdad

I support whoever puts on our jersey and plays for us thru the good and bad…. Supported Sanchez , geno , darnold even though it ended with them eventually leaving …. I’m going to support zach and believe he can turn it around. I believe what truly screwed him is playing and learning on the job in todays nfl … mahomes sat 15 games straight his first year , Rodgers sat few years. We sent Zach to war he doesn’t know what to do but he for sure can do the job we seen some glimpses. I’m gonna support even though he’s trash atm. The best for this team is him being the guy we need him to be

thank you for some sanity - this board is full of nasty dumbbells !

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 11/23/2022 at 7:19 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

If I was a GM who had used a top 5 pick on a franchise QB, I would ask myself one thing. Do we have a top 10 O line? If the answer was no, I'd sit the kid until we do. The reason for this is that I would want to maximize as much as possible the player's chances of success because it is a pretty darn big and important decision to use a top 5 pick on a QB.

I am dumbfounded by the school of thought that says these players must be handed the starting job from day 1. It is flat out stupid, and the track record of failure is proof positive that it is the wrong way to handle the grooming of a franchise QB.

Just not true. There is no evidence that either way is better.

JD did what he promised and tried to surround Zach with talent but injuries have certainly hampered his development. I would bet that there is probably only 4-6 games at most where Zach had the same OL, WR and RB in multiple games.

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

This is absolutely false. JD and Saleh decided to start him and it was as dumb a move as can be. What did they expect behind a putrid OL, no playmakers. It was like Sam Darnold part II. Most rookie QB's struggle who start coming right out of college.  Especially, a kid like Zach, who was as raw as can be.  Rushing this kid into the mix was just  ill advised.  I'd sit him the rest of the year. Maybe play him in the last 2 games if we are out of the playoffs.  There's no rush here.  And I don't get how we are Screwed?   We are 6-4,have an azz kicking defense, numerous young players prospering, and are moving in the right direction. Does anyone remember how bad this team was the last 2 years? We have made tremendous progress and that's with a QB learning on training wheels. Whether Zach is the QB of the future for the Jets or not is NOT the end all.  If he busts, then he busts.  JD will have to go to Plan B. This is so much bullsheet DRAMA.  

Here, here!

The interesting thing about RG3s making those comments -- this situation is shaping up to be the same one that he was in with the Skins.

Zach is RG3 (#2 pick overall, Uber athletic but couldn't run the Shannahan offense) and Mike White hopefully could end up being Cousins (4th round pick, not "special" but could run the offense much better).

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

On 11/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, ZachStepdad said:

I support whoever puts on our jersey and plays for us thru the good and bad…. Supported Sanchez , geno , darnold even though it ended with them eventually leaving …. I’m going to support zach and believe he can turn it around. I believe what truly screwed him is playing and learning on the job in todays nfl … mahomes sat 15 games straight his first year , Rodgers sat few years. We sent Zach to war he doesn’t know what to do but he for sure can do the job we seen some glimpses. I’m gonna support even though he’s trash atm. The best for this team is him being the guy we need him to be

Sorry bud.. this is New York. We don’t have time to handle some little weak scared punk Biach who can’t make simple throws. And then have arrogance to say he doesn’t suckk lol .. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, JiFields said:

I dont know that I agree they handled him wrong.  I think the just evaluated him very poorly and are now paying the cost. 

They basically created an environment where Zach could learn on the job, w/ zero consequences, while doing damn near everything and anything to support him from loading up on offensive talent to surrounding him w/ consistent coaching.  Yes, it's sad the Knapp died and who knows the impact he would have had but they brought Beck in too, so it's not like he hasnt been around development coaches.  He's missed games every year and it hasnt helped his development so I dont know that Zach spending time off the field "learning" does anything for him.  

He's a mechanical nightmare from "hike" but how does more time away help that aspect of his game?  I doubt he's being taught terrible mechanics from every coach he's ever had his entire life.  I think he's probably one of those dudes you put in a pick up game and dude kills it.  Some coach recruits him, tries to create structure, he seems pretty coachable in practice, able to pick up and adjust things on the fly, but then you put him in the game and everything goes out the window. Sports are littered w/ these guys throughout history. I think Zach is that dude.

Agree with this. Also feel the 2 major things that got us to where we are is 

First, ZW just isn’t as good (good at all?) as they thought at playing QB

Second, the team is so far ahead of schedule they just could leave him in there anymore with the way he was playing, if they started losing 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Meh, that isnt accurate, doesnt tell the whole story and not really a solid comparison.

First off Heinicke is 5/4 TD to INT, not 4/5 like Zach.   He's also played 5 games to Zach's 7.   He's also completing passes at 5% higher per.  And the team was spiraling out of control at 1-4, not 1-2 w/ the season in front of you.   And while QBR is similar, QB rating he's 10 percentage points higher. 

• Upvote 2

It’s Joe Douglas’ and the coaches’ fault for drafting a bust

Wilson was a project who stat padded against laughable competition in a COVID year

These NFL so often overthink things picking in the top 10

They want to think they can outsmart everybody else

Fields was the consensus 1A/1B with Lawrence since their HS days in Georgia 

And Fields did nothing to lose that status except fall victim to the BS ZW hype machine and other BS

The Jets drafted the worst QB of the big 4 at #2 overall

Forget for a second about the inability to process or have any kind of composure in the pocket.

Sitting for 3 years was going to cure him of the yips on WR screens?

Zach Wilson is a bust.

• Upvote 3

On 11/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, ZachStepdad said:

No, what we need is to make the playoffs for the first time in 12 freakin years, something Zach wasn't gonna allow us to do when the chips are down. If removing the weakest link on offense is what needs to happen, then so be it.

• Upvote 1

It’s Joe Douglas’ and the coaches’ fault for drafting a bust
Wilson was a project who stat padded against laughable competition in a COVID year
These NFL so often overthink things picking in the top 10
They want to think they can outsmart everybody else
Fields was the consensus 1A/1B with Lawrence since their HS days in Georgia 
And Fields did nothing to lose that status except fall victim to the BS ZW hype machine and other BS
The Jets drafted the worst QB of the big 4 at #2 overall
Forget for a second about the inability to process or have any kind of composure in the pocket.
Sitting for 3 years was going to cure him of the yips on WR screens?
Zach Wilson is a bust.
Fields had a really bad performance at the end of the year .. kinda did it to himself.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 11/23/2022 at 9:59 AM, freestater said:

Bullsh*t. This team hasn't invested the resources they've surrounded this kid with ever before. Pennington, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold...none of them had the talent assembled around him on the offensive side of the ball. 

Pennington had a lot of talent around him. Curtis Martin, Laverneus Coles, Wayne Chrebet, and Jerrico Cotchery. Sanchez and Geno and Darnold had little or nothing to work with. I do agree that JD has given Wilson way more to work with than the others I mentioned but Wilson squandered it away. I personally think Wilson is a huge bust. I think when he gets rushed he gets panicky and just throws the ball away quickly so as not to get hit.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Pennington had a lot of talent around him. Curtis Martin, Laverneus Coles, Wayne Chrebet, and Jerrico Cotchery. Sanchez and Geno and Darnold had little or nothing to work with. I do agree that JD has given Wilson way more to work with than the others I mentioned but Wilson squandered it away. I personally think Wilson is a huge bust. I think when he gets rushed he gets panicky and just throws the ball away quickly so as not to get hit.

This is fair. I would still contend that this is the most weaponz assembled for any qb out of the last 20ish years. Good line too ( injuries excepted) Zach simply hasn't stepped up

• Upvote 2

It wouldn't have hurt but it probably wasn't going to work here without a winning record. After one loss we want our 4th string QB in Streveler to start, you think Zach would not have been in at some point early last season anyway? I do hope JD can find a good vet QB to come in and win games while also drafting a QB to develop, instead of doing what we keep doing over and over, which has not worked yet.

5 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Zach had a way better roster to work with than Darnold and I don’t care what the Wilson apologists say Lafleur is actually a good play caller.  He’s a bust.  A leafian bust at that.  Worse than Darnold. Get over it

Looks that way.  Never thought he’d be the worst out of all those QBs drafted with that arm, lot of it is mental and since it’s so pronounced (those who saw that All 22 from NE last week said it was one of the ugliest things they’d ever seen, there were Jet receivers running Wide open virtually Every play) you couple that with him not wanting to get hit and virtually never stepping up in the pocket, never standing in to deliver the ball and get hit, you probably can write off his career at this early point, he’ll join many others.

2 yards of offense in the 2nd half last week.

Jets just have to keep solidifying the rest of the team which is very strong in lots of areas and way ahead of schedule from where many thought they’d be, and just keep adding a QB every year in the draft until you might hit one.

Mike White might actually light it up considering the upgraded talent.  Now that’ll be interesting if it happens.

This team can win Lots of games with just average QB play.  Not a difficult conclusion after being 5-2 with the Worst.

• Upvote 2

On 11/23/2022 at 10:25 AM, Integrity28 said:

I said from day one: never should have drafted him. 

After they did, I said: sit him for a year.

After they didn’t, I said: he’s failing, now can we bench him before he’s a list cause?

Nobody listens to me.

pardon?

On 11/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, chirorob said:

I am 100% on most rookie QBs sitting a year.   The pro game is a whole different level than college.

Unfortunately, we've past that bridge with Zach.  It's time to let him sit and watch for the next few weeks at a minimum. If Mike White doesn't pan out, which is not an unlikely result, then throw Strevler in there.  Might as well learn what we've got.  We already know w/respect to Zach.

• Upvote 2

On 11/23/2022 at 9:41 AM, hawk said:

Mike White had to sit for a bit, he is better than Zach.  

I guess there is merit to your argument.

Of course the ball boy had to watch also, and he is also better, so there is that.

I doubt Hackenberg would've played any worse.

11 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I’m out on ZW, but having zero veteran leadership on offensive side in coaching room is just odd decision 

This is an eminently reasonable take.

Bobby Calabrese as your QB guru isn’t exactly like being coached by Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren and Andy Reid.

At the same time, if you (e.g. ZW) need a QB coach to help you hit the broadside of a barn on quick screens, the QB coach isn’t the problem.  You (I.e. ZW) are.

I have to say again that I'm really surprised the CS didn't give Zach the start against the Bears, with their crappy pass defense.  If ever there was a "get right" game, this was the one.  The CS easily could've written the Patriot game off as a stinker and said "Zach is still 5-2 as a starter".

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

Unfortunately, we've past that bridge with Zach.  It's time to let him sit and watch for the next few weeks at a minimum. If Mike White doesn't pan out, which is not an unlikely result, then throw Strevler in there.  Might as well learn what we've got.  We already know w/respect to Zach.

Strev isn't getting any chances, other than as maybe the #3 emergency QB type option.  

Whats the point of hating on Mike White?

the guy is a hardworking father, well respected by his teammates, who by the way, happens to be Zach Wilson’s best friend, maybe only friend, on the team.

So even the Wilson fanboys should be rooting for him. 

— 

sorry wrong thread. This should be in the Mike White hating thread. I haven’t had my coffee yet

Whats the point of hating on Mike White?
the guy is a hardworking father, well respected by his teammates, who happens to be Zach Wilson’s best friend, maybe only friend, on the team. So even the Wilson fanboys should be rooting for him. 

— 
sorry wrong thread. This should be in the Mike White hating thread. I haven’t had my coffee yet
Are people hating on him already ??? Guy hasn't even taken a snap.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk