This team handled Zach Wilson wrong

ZachStepdad

1 hour ago, ZachStepdad said:

I support whoever puts on our jersey and plays for us thru the good and bad…. Supported Sanchez , geno , darnold even though it ended with them eventually leaving …. I’m going to support zach and believe he can turn it around. I believe what truly screwed him is playing and learning on the job in todays nfl … mahomes sat 15 games straight his first year , Rodgers sat few years. We sent Zach to war he doesn’t know what to do but he for sure can do the job we seen some glimpses. I’m gonna support even though he’s trash atm. The best for this team is him being the guy we need him to be

Good points all.  Maybe he just isn't ready.  The flashes are there but not often enough.  Maybe he needs time to get his footwork right, to improve his reads, etc.  The fact that other quarterbacks hit the ground running doesn't mean they all will.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yes, and crushing a 21 year old QB isn't getting the most out of him, it's wasting a huge amount of draft capital.

Didn't the 49ers offer some huge deal to come up and get him?  If you aren't taking that, you have to protect the young QB

How much protection does he need?  They keep stacking Oline.  RBs,  WRs.  He sucks and continues to suck.  Let's blame everybody else.  How did exactly did they crush him?  By trying to get him not to throw picks?  That is the big complaint I hear.  THEY ARE NEUTERING HIM!  Excuse me, but I don't recall this explosive offense before they supposedly cut his balls off.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It’s an old debate, sit or play but look at the Steelers, the fans just weren’t going to accept anyone but Pickett. 

top 10 picks generally play week one, a top 2 pick is locked in to start. 

ultimately, choosing a very young OC with no play calling experience to develop him was a very dubious decision, obviously they thought a QB coach like Knapp would offset that but tragedy interrupted that. 

Now all that matters is how Zach responds. 

grow or fold ?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How much protection does he need?  They keep stacking Oline.  RBs,  WRs.  He sucks and continues to suck.  Let's blame everybody else.  How did exactly did they crush him?  By trying to get him not to throw picks?  That is the big complaint I hear.  THEY ARE NEUTERING HIM!  Excuse me, but I don't recall this explosive offense before they supposedly cut his balls off.  

This OL thing simply isn't valid. He's getting the typical 2.6 seconds a typical NFL QB gets to go through his reads. Not saying the OL is all world, but it's not a jailbreak mess; it's satisfactory.  Problem is he cannot process that. There are open receivers who aren't getting the ball. He effs up even simple throws; screens and dumpoffs are adventures. And Wilson's reaction to any rush isn't to step up, but to panic. There have also been very disturbing instances of him  acting like The Job is to throw the ball away. Suspect they've drilled that into him so much in practice he thinks merely doing the sensible thing in a specific situation is the whole idea. 

Wilson’s had his chances and didn’t show any consistency.  He makes the same mistakes over and over.  I would say they handled him just fine.  He was set up with a playoff caliber team.  He failed to improve his game enough to show he can lead this team right now.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

Bullsh*t.  I think Zach has a problem with the speed of the game even after 20 games played.  How is he ever going to get acclimated sitting on the bench?  

The whole notion of you need to sit I think is overrated.  You learn more and should develop more by playing and learning on the job.  

From one of our more recent QB busts Darnold - "You learn a lot just by watching," he said. "There's a lot to learn in terms of walking around the building, learning from other guys. There's a lot you can learn when you don't have the stress of being a starter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35086481/panthers-name-sam-darnold-starter-vs-broncos

You do a guy a disservice if they're just not ready to play by throwing them to the wolves.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Most young QBs benefit from sitting a year. 

Now, see what White can do, and move on from there.

Zach was able to sit for a few games in both year 1 and year 2.  Not sure the outcome would have been any different if he sat for an entire year.

IMO, it does appear most QBs learn from reps.  It does appear that some QBs don’t apply what they learn from those reps.  Consistency (on improvements) and the ability to get better is what separates QBs.

Zach’s hubris is my bet on why he hasn’t shown improvement.  The first step is admitting you have a problem(s)… 

Sorry but no, what this team did was keep Zach from completely embarrassing himself and the organization. They surrounded him with elite talent and he Blew it, no other way to say this. He is one of the first Jets QB's since Vinny and early Chad to have an above average WR group and a great running game and he still could not complete a 5 yard pass on a consistent basis. 

• Upvote 3

Joe Burrow gets sacked on an alarming basis and he's still tougher as the game goes on. That's a sign of greatness. if Zach was under the pressure Burrow was and is under he would have been even worse if that's even remotely possible. I'm sick of making excuses for garbage QB play because a player has physical talent. other than the physical talent Zach Wilson has no idea WTF is going on NONE. he's the equivalent of a school yard gun slinger with bad accuracy 

• Upvote 2

Part of the problem here is that people have been delusional in thinking that Zach was managing games great and were ignoring how poorly his fundamentals have been all season....the guy has been a mess since game 1 and being deactivated and rebuilding from scratch is all you can do now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Sitting for a while isn't what teaches you how to throw the ball near your receivers

You know well enough that this was a decision in the interest of winning in a season that has turned out to be competitive. If Zach has to sit out a few games or more to give the team a chance, Saleh is making the right decision as a head coach.

• Upvote 2

You don't send the kid out there against the Bills and against BB twice just to bench him against a crappy defense. This is so stupid. If he was so bad last week, why not put White in then? They have f'd up the season.

Mike should have a good game against Chicago and then what? Do you expect him to beat the Bills, Miami, Minnesota? At what point after he fails do you switch back (or at all)? What if Mike struggles on Sunday, do you bench him for Flacco?

This is so stupid - season is a joke now and I have lost all respect for Saleh and LaFluer - they caved to the stupidity of the media and others. they handcuffed ZW and then waited until he failed against the Pats to make a switch - dumb. Now there is a Qb controversy no matter what the outcome of the game is - and ZW is likely done here; he probably wasn't going to be the future, but we know White is not the future - and now with the team still over 500, we don't have a future.

They started to believe their own press and record. No OL, no running game, and a bad gameplan and play calling by LaFluer and the only one held accountable is ZW. Maybe they should bench LaFluer for a game or two? Circus is back baby.

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

16 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Who is he talking about?

If you click on it you can read the rest of the tweets (it has several parts). I can’t say i agree with everything he says. I think some of it comes from a place of resentment for how he was evaluated as a high pick. But, it is a different perspective and he makes some good points.

The QB is Taylor Heinicke, who will be 30 in March, so he’s studied and practiced football a ton more than Wilson.

• Upvote 1

I believe there is an underlying issue not yet disclosed. Zach checks most of the boxes and what we are witnessing is not consistent with his growth. Just a hunch, but my gut is telling me Zach needs to be in a small market that allows him to develop as a backup. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:30 AM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Jets handled Zach Wilson perfectly fine. You don’t draft someone #2 overall and sit him on the bench. Jets just took the wrong player

He's called a project player. They probably shouldn't have drafted him, but they didn't see the rest of this team improving so fast and they treated him like a more refined quarterback than he was. If you draft a project at #2, sitting them behind a vet is exactly what you do. But this is not a team for a project player. This is a team that would do really well with an elite QB and still do pretty well with a mediocre game manager. 

They took the wrong player, and they didn't do what they should have with said player. This is expected of a rookie CS, and I hope they make better decisions next time. This team is a mediocre QB away from SB contention.