Interesting ZW take on GameDay

PorP

1 hour ago, PorP said:

Ian Raapaport and Mike garafolo just reported ZW benching has nothing to do with discipline or the locker room. 

According to them ZW's "yips" he has been experiencing have become so debilitating he is losing the play between the huddle and snap.  

They did show a pass play where he actually handed the ball to MC. MC was so confused it stopped him in his tracks.

So Saleh admits he should have pulled him in both Pat games. We likely win both if he did yank him..

1 hour ago, PorP said:

Ian Raapaport and Mike garafolo just reported ZW benching has nothing to do with discipline or the locker room. 

According to them ZW's "yips" he has been experiencing have become so debilitating he is losing the play between the huddle and snap.  

They did show a pass play where he actually handed the ball to MC. MC was so confused it stopped him in his tracks.

wait, what?  Like he calls the play and forgets it by the time he gets to the LOS?  I've literally never heard of this in my life and I dont think this is what you define as "yips"....I mean, this sounds almost like a learning disability thing and I dont mean to just throw that out and be insensitive but that seriously is unheard of.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You shouldn't presume. I've dealt with social anxiety my whole life. I get by, and it hasn't been easy. You'll notice I made mention that he needed mental help as opposed to coaching. Having said that, I don't think he's dealing with crippling anxiety, as much as he isn't prepared for his role. He's become self conscious about it, and in turn he's thinking about not ******* up instead of just playing. Kind of like Tin Cup and his shanks...

image.thumb.png.c1d777f13684c4acebd3cd33293197db.png

Got it-  assumed based on your ‘fragile’ comment.  Anxiety is not about fragility, it’s often about misperception of danger.

Managing anxiety is part of being an adult. It’s not an excuse to not do your job. 

Wow tell me your joking….the difference between someone with normal anxiety and an anxiety disorder..is this…your thoughts are like a train…in a person with normal anxiety the train has a brake..in a person with an anxiety disorder.. there is no brake…the train keeps going…and going..and going. It will not stop without outside help. Trust me I know from experience..anxiety is nothing to bat an eyelid at it affects everything in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

It's an old wife's tale condition that people apply when players throw like crap. Basically an exaggerated slump where it really "gets in your head". 

Problem is, Zach Wilson may simply just be too slow to process this very fast game. 

That's not correct. It's when you're about to do something delicate or precise and you jerk or have muscle spasm. It's sort of like a physiological version of choking.

8 minutes ago, JiFields said:

wait, what?  Like he calls the play and forgets it by the time he gets to the LOS?  I've literally never heard of this in my life and I dont think this is what you define as "yips"....I mean, this sounds almost like a learning disability thing and I dont mean to just throw that out and be insensitive but that seriously is unheard of.

Nah man,  I am not thinking learning disability.  

I'm thinking a good flattens example is public speaking.  If you have had the opportunity.. you know what that can do to your mind. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

been saying this for over a year......nobody is catching this

This is the first I’ve heard of him forgetting the plays, but it seems like a direct result of ADHD. This is vastly different from not knowing the playbook as some posters were suggesting. 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s not fragility or weakness. Please don’t perpetuate negative stereotypes for mental health issues.  

I'm not perpetuating a negative stereotype about mental health issues. I'm pushing an opinion about one player. I've dealt with social anxiety my whole life, and you'll notice I made mention in what you're quoting that he needed mental help as opposed to coaching. Having said that, I don't think he's dealing with crippling anxiety, which is merely your presumption, as much as he isn't prepared for his role. He's become self conscious about it, and in turn he's thinking about not ******* up instead of just playing. That makes him fragile, and I really don't care about your opinion otherwise. So you can stop white knighting, virtue signaling, call it whatever you want. I'm glad you feel better about yourself, but don't take the soap box with you though as I'm sure someone else will use it. There are always plenty of 'advocates'.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PorP said:

I played baseball,  basketball, football formally,  avid golfer and raced motocross and cross country semi pro.  Yips are a thing is everyone of them.  They have different names but still a thing. 

Another example In motocross it's "fear" or the "scared's" and it causes you to make little mistakes in cornering and /or jumping.... ultimately you start way over-thinking it, the errors get worse and can become a danger to yourself and others. 

So Ricky Bobby had the yips?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

From experience ... I have had this happen ... same thing pressure was extreme and my mind just blanked.  Luckily i overcame it and slammed dunked what I was doing.   But I have had this happen ... and I would be surprised if it was as rare as you say. 

For someone with ADHD it is common.  It is also common to overcome it with mastery.  Mentioned this in another thread have no idea if Zach will get to a better place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm not feeling this.  It's not a question of being "slow".  It's a question of trying to process too much information, trying to be perfect and fear of making a mistake.  Similar to a panic attack. 

If he wasn't slow, he would process it faster.l and more efficiently. That's what slow means.

2 hours ago, PorP said:

IIRC, I also heard yesterday on WFAN that ZW took Adderall during games in college but it's banned in the NFL.

• More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

It's an old wife's tale condition that people apply when players throw like crap. Basically an exaggerated slump where it really "gets in your head". 

Problem is, Zach Wilson may simply just be too slow to process this very fast game. 

He’s actually very smart and can “think on his feet”.  I saw him analyze his plays from a game at BYU and he very fast in dissecting why he didn’t do this or that and why he ultimately did that.

So now we know it’s his mind and you couple that with the fact he can’t hit the broad of a barn on half the throws an average HS QB hits 100% of the time, he can’t play in the NFL anymore with all these issues.

It’s sad how fast Wilson imploded.

Just now, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He’s actually very smart and can “think on his feet”.  I saw him analyze his plays from a game at BYU and he very fast in dissecting why he didn’t do this or that and why he ultimately did that.

So now we know it’s his mind and you couple that with the fact he can’t hit the broad of a barn on half the throws an average HS QB hits 100% of the time, he can’t play in the NFL anymore with all these issues.

It’s sad how fast Wilson imploded.

It's because he's dumb.

45 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's because he's dumb.

He’s intelligent, I just detailed why I thought he is.  He also comes from a very successful family, which suggests he comes from bloodlines that are intelligent.

That it appears that he has some mental health issues is unfortunate and hopefully he can cure them.  That he hasn’t played NFL football at the level many expected him to is secondary.  

• Post of the Week 1