Franco Harris passes at 72

LockeJET

58 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ow wow  his “ a football life” is going to premiere Friday and the 50th anniversary of the immaculate reception game is Saturday night 

RIP

And one thing that I just read is the Steelers are retiring his Jersy this weekend? Can that actually be a fact? His Jersey was never officially retired?

RIP Franco.

Great football player and always appeared to be a great gentleman.

• Upvote 1

Wow. I ran a meat department for Pathmark in the 90's in southwest NJ. Franco had bought Parks Sausage around 95'. Every year he would "tour" the area and visit the stores to see how the product was selling. The cool thing was that when he came he would wear a different Super Bowl ring every visit, so that was an incredible honor to shake his hand. He was a lot smaller in real life than I imagined he would be , but what a kind and soft spoken gentleman he was. I'm glad I met him. May he rest in peace.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Trotter said:

And one thing that I just read is the Steelers are retiring his Jersy this weekend? Can that actually be a fact? His Jersey was never officially retired?

RIP Franco.

Great football player and always appeared to be a great gentleman.

So I looked into it lol. only 3 numbers are officially retired, Harris joins Ernie Stautner (No. 70) and Joe Greene (No. 75) as the only players to have their numbers retired by the Steelers.

Although many are unofficial retired

There may have been bad blood, there was a contract dispute and he left Pittsburgh only being 400 yards short of Jim brown’s record and never broke it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

It is the 50th Anniversary of the Immaculate Reception Saturday and  I believe and the Raiders are playing the Steelers this week. 

RIP Legend.

Yes, they’re playing on Saturday night, promoting it as 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

He was a great player during what I view as the greatest era of NFL football.   

RIP

I remember being 10 years old, in my grandmothers TV room by myself. Watching the "immaculate" game. It really for me is my earliest vivid memory of GREAT football. Raiders/Steelers, Madden etc.   I am saddened to learn PITT didn't retire his jersey immediately after he retired.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

So I looked into it lol. only 3 numbers are officially retired, Harris joins Ernie Stautner (No. 70) and Joe Greene (No. 75) as the only players to have their numbers retired by the Steelers.

Although many are unofficial retired

There may have been bad blood, there was a contract dispute and he left Pittsburgh only being 400 yards short of Jim brown’s record and never broke it. 

SAD just SAD.  32 should have been retired 25 years ago.

• Upvote 2