Our next drafted QB

EM31

1 hour ago, JonMcgraw38 said:

A guy who might end up being available is CJ Stroud who fits your criteria. Guy has a lot of red flags that I think will cause him to drop.

He’s not great under pressure, he’s not mobile, he’s not good out of structure. 

What he does well is distribute the ball to playmakers in structure. Should be a good fit for the Shannahan system. 

This kid doesn't get past pick 10. We pick about 20th.

• Upvote 2

There is a constant theme on this board that JD/Saleh have a playoff mandate for next year-make the playoffs or be fired.

The roster is considered "strong."  Its ok.   Ignoring cost, the DL, Mosley, Reed and Sauce, the WRs, RBs, TEs and half the OL are under contract.  Others have to be extended or replaced.   We need to use high picks for more WR, OL, S, LB.  

As much as I believe and would like to draft a QB, I don't know how JD is doing that when he can plug a hole on the OL (Again) with a 1st round pick.   Or replaced Corey Davis and/or Mims.  He has drafted his last QB, at least for awhile.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I know a lot of people don't want to draft a quarterback again, but I think the Jets got to draft one. You draft a quarterback every year until you have your franchise quarterback. Where have I heard that from? 

Note: I'm not saying Mike White isn't the guy. He's still got to prove it.

you want to draft one thats fine but were not using 1st rd picks. i dont even want to use 2nd rd picks.

by the time we draft we should have QB1 on the roster. whoever that is is expected to take us to the next step... Playoffs. we need those top picks to fill holes on the OL, WR2, Saftey, maybe LB. 

there were alot of really good QBs drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Brady, Russ Wilson, Dak, Romo, Cousins,......even if you do 2nd rd you have Hurts, Carr, Jimmy G.....

just no more #1s. not now. were close to making a serious run and we will get a decent QB in FA. need to fill more holes in the roster.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

you want to draft one thats fine but were not using 1st rd picks. i dont even want to use 2nd rd picks.

by the time we draft we should have QB1 on the roster. whoever that is is expected to take us to the next step... Playoffs. we need those top picks to fill holes on the OL, WR2, Saftey, maybe LB. 

there were alot of really good QBs drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Brady, Russ Wilson, Dak, Romo, Cousins,......even if you do 2nd rd you have Hurts, Carr, Jimmy G.....

just no more #1s. not now. were close to making a serious run and we will get a decent QB in FA. need to fill more holes in the roster.

Jets will need to trade back and try to acquire extra picks in the draft. That's why I was pissed when I saw what Miami got when they traded back with the 49ers. The more picks in the draft the better in my honest opinion. 

27 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'd bring in Marcus Mariota to compete with MW. Mariota could win some games with this wr core given we improve the offensive line. He's also pretty mobile. Draft Hooker in round 2 to sit for a year and learn. My personal preference.

This plan absolutely requires them to unload Zach. That is my preference, but it’s no lock. 

I prefer they bring in a veteran they believe can be the guy, and tailor the offense to further fit that specific player. Use those picks to strengthen the team around them. The window for the all the young talent on this team is going to grow short, I’d be focused on maximizing that. A high pick who you don’t plan on playing does not help the team next year. 

I’m still holding out hope for the playoffs this year. NE has two losable games coming up, and the Jets have two winnable ones. But, if they don’t, they are going to have to reach the post season next year or face questions about employment. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

Must: Be NFL-sized (yes this includes hand size because that is not just important to the MILFs and Tomshane).  Look he needs to be able to see over NFL defensive linemen and he needs to be big enough to take a hit every now and then.. He needs to play in December and January in the North east.

Must: Not have questions about durability coming in

Must: Have played enough games against enough good defenses to have at least some idea what running an NFL offense might be like

Must: Be ready to sit for a year at the next level

Must: Be provided with adequate coaching

Strongly preferred: Has a record of accuracy

Must: Be provided with at least adequate protection.  Hopefully better than that but at least adequate.

Nice to Have: A big arm

We should be drafting one of these guys every single year if we need to until we end up hitting on one.

this screams Hendon Hooker. Except for the ACL injury. But I think that and his age are the only reasons he falls for the Jets to even have a shot.  

53 minutes ago, doitny said:

This is how I feel. 

I want the Jets to cut Davis, Tomlinson, Berrios, maybe even Mosley so you can clear cap to bring in a legit vet FA QB, resign Huff, Quincy and Herbig. Then draft OT and WR in Rds 1 and 2. LB and IOL in Rd. 3 and 4.

If there is a raw, high-upside QB sitting there is Rd. 5 (big arm, good size, athletic) then I guess take him to sit behind Zach and the vet FA. If not, take a safety or IDL. 

If the Jets really, really like a QB. Who am I to say one shouldn't be taken, even if its early. Would it be so wrong to take Anthony Richardson for example and sit him behind a vet? Unleash him next year? I don't know. But its not how I would approach the draft. 

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

Must: Be NFL-sized (yes this includes hand size because that is not just important to the MILFs and Tomshane).  Look he needs to be able to see over NFL defensive linemen and he needs to be big enough to take a hit every now and then.. He needs to play in December and January in the North east.

Must: Not have questions about durability coming in

Must: Have played enough games against enough good defenses to have at least some idea what running an NFL offense might be like

Must: Be ready to sit for a year at the next level

Must: Be provided with adequate coaching

Strongly preferred: Has a record of accuracy

Must: Be provided with at least adequate protection.  Hopefully better than that but at least adequate.

Nice to Have: A big arm

We should be drafting one of these guys every single year if we need to until we end up hitting on one.

A Must that you forgot: Must have been drafted by another team, and picked up as a FA or via trade because a Jet GM will never get it right... 

• Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jets will need to trade back and try to acquire extra picks in the draft. That's why I was pissed when I saw what Miami got when they traded back with the 49ers. The more picks in the draft the better in my honest opinion. 

Don't forget we get an extra 4th round pick from the Zach Wilson trade to Cleveland :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The next drafted QB has to have a little hair on his chest. They need to stop drafting these nice, young men that Woody can feel comfortable parading around the country club. Playing QB for the Jets is ******* hard and whoever does it is going to face constant anger and vitriol from large segments of the fan base. Keep your boy scouts, your suburban mushes, your country music fans. Go get a former walk-on who played on the biggest stages with a ten-ton chip on their shoulder. No former-five star pussies. The Jets QB needs to come with some scar tissue already built up. 

Perhaps…just spitballing here….the kind of guy who grew up just north of Miami (meaning he’s not scared of death) - same town as Lawrence Taylor and Geno Atkins.  One who started at South Florida but transferred to Western Kentucky when the coach changed his offensive style.  Then ended up a late round pick who was eventually let go by the team who drafted him.  Who then was cut, signed, cut and signed repeatedly by his 2nd team before earning a chance to start a few games before being benched or buried on the depth chart and then repeating the process.  Beloved by teammates and coaches for his toughness and attitude.  

I dunno just something I’ve been kicking around.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps…just spitballing here….the kind of guy who grew up just north of Miami (meaning he’s not scared of death) - same town as Lawrence Taylor and Geno Atkins.  One who started at South Florida but transferred to Western Kentucky when the coach changed his offensive style.  Then ended up a late round pick who was eventually let go by the team who drafted him.  Who then was cut, signed, cut and signed repeatedly by his 2nd team before earning a chance to start a few games before being benched or buried on the depth chart and then repeating the process.  Beloved by teammates and coaches for his toughness and attitude.  

I dunno just something I’ve been kicking around.

Mike White and Stetson Bennett 2023!

• Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The next drafted QB has to have a little hair on his chest. They need to stop drafting these nice, young men that Woody can feel comfortable parading around the country club. Playing QB for the Jets is ******* hard and whoever does it is going to face constant anger and vitriol from large segments of the fan base. Keep your boy scouts, your suburban mushes, your country music fans. Go get a former walk-on who played on the biggest stages with a ten-ton chip on their shoulder. No former-five star pussies. The Jets QB needs to come with some scar tissue already built up. 

2023 Rookie QB, Austin Powers, #69 overall, MoreHead State.

its not about that 

none of that will matter until they get a new OC and a coach that has a TRACK RECORD OF DEVELOPING QUARTERBACKS 

putting a project QB as a day 1 starter with a bum rookie OC no vet QB and no QB coach is something ONLY THE JETS WOULD DO

Fire LaFloor, give Zach a year to see if he develops, and go from there

22 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I'm fine with a mid round pick, but I want no parts of drafting a QB in Rd 1-2 for at least a few years....

We need stability with this current group....not half ass development from a green offensive staff

JD had the right idea by taking James Morgan round 4, but he was a terrible pick and fit.

The Jets need to take shots at QBs rounds 4-7, if not 3.   MW was a 5th.  They need to have coaches dedicated to developing them, even on the PS.  It should be a pipeline.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

This is how I feel. 

I want the Jets to cut Davis, Tomlinson, Berrios, maybe even Mosley so you can clear cap to bring in a legit vet FA QB, resign Huff, Quincy and Herbig. Then draft OT and WR in Rds 1 and 2. LB and IOL in Rd. 3 and 4.

If there is a raw, high-upside QB sitting there is Rd. 5 (big arm, good size, athletic) then I guess take him to sit behind Zach and the vet FA. If not, take a safety or IDL. 

If the Jets really, really like a QB. Who am I to say one shouldn't be taken, even if its early. Would it be so wrong to take Anthony Richardson for example and sit him behind a vet? Unleash him next year? I don't know. But its not how I would approach the draft. 

i dont know who Anthony Richardson is but if you draft him early and look to start him next year then im guessing the vet QB your bringing in wont be that good cause he is just here to hold the spot for a year. and if next year we make the playoffs you want to give this kid the job in 2024? 

then you know the deal..... we cant just give him 2 games.... hes having growing pains..... blah blah blah....

a 1st rd pick will have to play by year 2. 2nd rd by year three. i dont want pressure to play the high pick again. 

after i just wrote this i seen your last sentence.... you would NOT DO THIS...lol ok we agree.. lol

• Upvote 1

I’m a firm believer that the most important things that end up making a good QB a good QB are things you will never really get a good grasp of entirely from them playing college football, especially the current brand of college football.

1.  Pocket awareness.  Obviously this can be judged, but not in a big enough sample size to make an accurate judgement.

2.  Processing speed/acumen.  This will get harder and harder to gauge until the “entire offense check with me and I’ll tell you the checks and adjustments” trend goes away, which it might never.

Some people will disagree, but accuracy can be taught.  But it can also be ruined by thinking about #1

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Coquito said:
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Clifford saw action in 12 games as he threw for an excellent 2543 yards on 330 attempts with a completion percent of 63.6 for an average of 7.7 yards per pass, with an excellent 22 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 100.6. He added 52 runs for a total of 255 yards at an average of 4.9 per run.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Clifford has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
  • Physically, Clifford is a natural athlete who plays with the balance and light feet to float in the pocket.
  • He’s good enough as a runner to work read-option plays, keeping back-side defenders in place.
  • He plays with a confident demeanor and has the athleticism to move out of the pocket and create plays out of structure.
  • From a physical standpoint, a prototypical modern quarterback.
  • Clifford must be accounted for when used in the read-option game.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Clifford gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as Clifford relies too much on his arm.
  • Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.
  • Clifford has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and he is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.

Who wrote this scouting report? A 12 year old? Ugh...

image.png.4bd7a5602e9bf4a1a59d3d445494e869.png

In the first paragraph, where are we 'qualifying' the stats? Excellent yards? Excellent TDs? WTH?!

In the Strengths, they used 6 bullets to mention that he's an athlete, has speed, and can work the read option (I color coded by theme, cause why not). Felt like that would be one, maybe 2 bullets? I'm also not seeing anything about this ABILITY TO THROW?!

In the weakness, he's inaccurate with bad mechanics, as well as throwing off his back foot? And doesn't given receivers a chance to make a play? WTH?!??! Is this another Zach? Why would we do this to ourselves?!?!?

Sorry... I need to lay off the caffeine for a bit I think...

1 hour ago, FactsOnly said:

its not about that 

none of that will matter until they get a new OC and a coach that has a TRACK RECORD OF DEVELOPING QUARTERBACKS 

putting a project QB as a day 1 starter with a bum rookie OC no vet QB and no QB coach is something ONLY THE JETS WOULD DO

Fire LaFloor, give Zach a year to see if he develops, and go from there

And by this, you mean have him play? Or have him sit?

And I thought it was on the QB coach to work with developing the QB?