Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Former QB and QB coach. Has OC experience but not play calling. Seems to have gotten a raw deal from Reich who was calling plays. 

One week after the team benched veteran starting quarterback Matt Ryan, the Colts on Tuesday announced that offensive coordinator Marcus Brady has been relieved of his duties.

"This was an incredibly hard decision, but one I felt needed to be made in the best interest of the team," head coach Frank Reich said in a statement. "I appreciate Marcus' commitment to the organization, and he made a significant contribution to our offensive success over the last five seasons. I wish him the best moving forward."

Reich has been calling the plays for the Colts' offense this season, while Brady's responsibilities included game-planning and play design.

Brady was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2021, shortly after the departure of Nick Sirianni, who was a longtime associate of Reich's and held the job before becoming head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Brady joined the Colts' staff as the assistant quarterbacks coach in 2018 and had gotten two promotions since 2019 -- to quarterbacks coach in 2019 and then last year's bump to offensive coordinator.

The Colts have been among the biggest offensive disappointments in the NFL this season, with the high hopes expressed by the team entering the season followed by gross underperformance. Indianapolis ranks 30th in points per game (16.1), is tied for the most turnovers in the league (16) and is 31st in offensive EPA (minus-36.54).

The failures of the team's once-vaunted offensive line has been stunning, and the poor start to the season by Ryan -- who was sacked 24 times in seven games -- was also shocking. Reich, in a decision influenced in part by owner Jim Irsay, made the move to second-year quarterback Sam Ehlinger last week.

Tuesday's announcement was just as surprising, especially considering Reich's zest to elevate Brady last year because of the positive impact he was said to have had on the team's offensive preparation.

Sounds like Irsay’s doing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

He’s most likely done in NE. His contract is expiring so the official interview won’t happen until next week. We requested permission as a procedural measure but won’t be necessary. 

Going from TE coach to OC seems strange, but it’s become a recent trend as those guys are heavily involved in all facets of pass and run game planning. Sean McVay, Arthur Smith, Ben Johnson, Shane Walderon, Greg Roman, Justin Outten, Wes Phillips, Joe Lombardi are just a few recent examples of guys who have taken similar routes.

Don't forget Dan Campbell... Everyone laughed at him when he gave his press conf, but don't think they are laughing now...

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Whoever we hire, I am going to bitch about them unmercifully until they are inevitably fired.

I will also try to develop a delightful mocking nickname for them.  Right now I have:

• Kevin PUNTulo
  • Frank "Third (& Long)" Reich
  • Nick "Tight End Coach" Caley 

Don't forget Mike "Swing pass 3rd and 12 " LeFleur

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

John Morton is, arguably, the best OC we’ve have had in a long time, Gailey included.

I could have schemed up “throw 50/50 balls up to Brandon Marshall half the time, and throw the other half to Eric Decker when there are 4 DBs on Marshall.”

I agree with this, Morton had a clue and with what we had he had a decent offense and scheme that overachieved.

• Upvote 4

The Jets have said they will hire an experienced senior offensive coach to assist the OC. This opens up the possibilty that the OC hire will not necessarily need play calling experience (although it would be nice). I will not be upset if they hire an inexperienced play caller AS LONG AS they hire an assistant who is an experienced and accomplished playcaller, capable of mentoring the new OC.

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Marcus Brady is a pretty smart guy I know him from his CFL days.  Can't see them going with him though him not being a play caller in the past as of yet.

I assume he called plays in the CFL as an OC, wouldn’t you think?  

Not saying I disagree that they might not hire him based on his inexperience doing so at the NFL level, but for me personally I’m not sure I agree that calling plays at the NFL level should be a prerequisite.  Playing calling really just boils down to schematic understanding, ability to adjust and probably most important, instincts.  Just give me a guy who is smart and flexible.  I think MLF’s downfall was the instincts and flexibility portion.  He was too ridged for my liking and lacked the ability to grasp quickly what was working or not and adjust.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not saying I disagree that they might not hire him based on his inexperience doing so at the NFL level, but for me personally I’m not sure I agree that calling plays at the NFL level should be a prerequisite.  Playing calling really just boils down to schematic understanding, ability to adjust and probably most important, instincts.  Just give me a guy who is smart and flexible.  I think MLF’s downfall was the instincts and flexibility portion.  He was too ridged for my liking and lacked the ability to grasp quickly what was working or not and adjust.

Halftime adjustments were horrific. Many times we would get the 2 nd half K/o and go 3 and out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

John Morton is, arguably, the best OC we’ve have had in a long time, Gailey included.

I could have schemed up “throw 50/50 balls up to Brandon Marshall half the time, and throw the other half to Eric Decker when there are 4 DBs on Marshall.”

John Morton + Jeremy Bates rn would’ve slapped. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I actually think play calling is really difficult if you havent done it before.  You need to have an understanding/feel with the QB along with being able to keep focused under pretty high pressure as the game goes on and the play clock is ticking.  Trent Dilfer (who is a great interview) talked about it at length on a podcast last year and how he struggled with calling plays for the first time. 

Marcus Brady isnt my first choice but what do i know.  All of these guys seem to come with a lot of question marks. 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Why wouldn’t that guy want the OC title and money?

Not saying that person would be the playcaller for sure. But it would be a contingency plan if the new OC decided that he wanted to focus on bigger picture items in his first year. Not much different than the idea the Jets had with MLF + Knapp

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Calling plays is not a 100% requisite I agree but if you can find a guy who you like and has called plays he gets the upper hand.

So far I have not seen one of these interviewed guys i would choose over mlf.

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not saying that person would be the playcaller for sure. But it would be a contingency plan if the new OC decided that he wanted to focus on bigger picture items in his first year. Not much different than the idea the Jets had with MLF + Knapp

Ok. Do you know of anyone that they are likely to interview Tuesday from the teams that are still going ?  Joe Brady ?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas: We would like to hire you to be our offensive coordinator!

Young OC Candidate: Sweet! 

Douglas: You’re not going to call plays, though. We’re hiring some unnamed, currently unemployed old man to fly in on game days and call the plays. 

Young OC guy: Wait what

Young OC guy: Sooooo, who’s the quarterback we’re signing? Carr? Garoppolo? Brady?

Douglas: Even better. Picture, if you will, a quarterback. Young. Elite arm strength. Runs like a deer. A little unrefined, but loads of talent.

Young OC: Lamar?!

Douglas: Think…whiter.

Young OC: Oh no.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Young OC guy: Sooooo, who’s the quarterback we’re signing? Carr? Garoppolo? Brady?

Douglas: Even better. Picture, if you will, a quarterback. Young. Elite arm strength. Runs like a deer. A little unrefined, but loads of talent.

Keep dreamin the dream

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas: We would like to hire you to be our offensive coordinator!

Young OC Candidate: Sweet! 

Douglas: You’re not going to call plays, though. We’re hiring some unnamed, currently unemployed old man to fly in on game days and call the plays. 

Young OC guy: Wait what

Would prefer this to hiring some OL coach who hasn’t called a play in their lives to call the plays

2 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

Hire Greg Olson. period. he is more qualified than any of the other so called interviewees ... this is not that difficult...but like the fools in WDC, they think its improtant to have the right optics rather then substantive substance. What a cluster F...

yes.  olson is the best oc prospect that is being discussed.  especially if carr is their QB target.  1,000 moving parts to consider, but carr did well when olson was with him.  olson and carr topp my list for QB/OC combo.  at this point, i'd be disappointed with any other resolution.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Young OC : there has to be another option?

Douglas : yeah, we also might bring back a guy with cement feet that can’t take a hit , but it’s ok he’s the kinda guy that loves his wife and gets down on the floor to play with his kids, you’re gonna love him. If he comes back, we kinda made him play with 5 broken ribs for nothing haha 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

So much for Patullo

i want the guy who looks like he has not slept in a week, doesn't have time to shave, and at minimum played QB in some organized fashion so he knows what it is like to eat mouth full of grass and what bruises look like.

therefore Patullo > MLF

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Douglas : yeah, we also might bring back a guy with cement feet that can’t take a hit , but it’s ok he’s the kinda guy that loves his wife and gets down on the floor to play with his kids, you’re gonna love him. If he comes back, we kinda made him play with 5 broken ribs for nothing haha 

Yes those stone feet that freak athletes Carr, Garoppolo, and Brady totally don’t have

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

yes.  olson is the best oc prospect that is being discussed.  especially if carr is their QB target.  1,000 moving parts to consider, but carr did well when olson was with him.  olson and carr topp my list for QB/OC combo.  at this point, i'd be disappointed with any other resolution.  

Get ready for that Marcus Brady and Gardner Minshew combo.

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Young OC : you really tried to play a pitcher at QB?

Douglas : c'mear im gonna ******* squeeze you like a pretzel

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes those stone feet that freak athletes Carr, Garoppolo, and Brady totally don’t have

Carr and jimmy are much better athletes and Brady can take a hit, but nobody hits him because it’s an automatic 15.
It’s a fatal flaw. The statues that make it are big and can survive the hits. 

If you’re Mike , and you get an offer to backup somewhere else, do you come back to the Jets ?