Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Let's just all agree, whoever is hired as Offensive Coordinator - the 14 people who hate the idea the most will spend the next year spamming this board with every possible negative article, tweet, and obscure statistic possible....

"Did you know the Jets average 1.34 yards LESS per play on 2nd down and 15+ in the 3rd quarter on the road than we did last year under Lafleur? :puke::puke::puke:"

Those 14 people will most assuredly hate whoever we choose as OC.  Doesn’t matter who it is, they’ll automatically hate him….and probably our QB too…and every player we draft….you get the idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Those 14 people will most assuredly hate whoever we choose as OC.  Doesn’t matter who it is, they’ll automatically hate him….and probably our QB too…and every player we draft….you get the idea.

Not overly concerned with the OC hire, however it feels like the process that’s taking place is typical Jets. 

• More Ugh 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Purdy is effective because the niners turnover ratio as been about 20-2 in the games he has played.  He has played well but has also been very lucky, the last two weeks he should have had about 3-4 picks.  Jimmy G and Purdy are moderate upgrades at best over Mike White.

As for the Jets:  "Gee how can we pay an aging almost past it malcontent QB 60 million dollars and give up high picks????????   I know we will get the oc he likes who actually stinks in hackett!   Booo ya!!!!

also would not underestimate the impact of McCaffery over the second half of the season.  The running game has opened up the passing game in a big way, and McCaffery has contributed to both.

• Upvote 1

After reading the last 3 pages of this thread I think I’m going to have to wrap my head around Zach Wilson’s development still being Joe Douglas’ end game.

As depressing as that is to think about, if it is the plan we should be asking who is the candidate on our list that is most qualified to attempt and maybe even succeed in doing that.
We need to be looking for the guy who is the best at working with a young QB rather than one who designs the most innovative offense.
Because Wilson isn’t going anywhere, and FML.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy getting Rodgers I’d the perfect move !! Zach looks up to him and it lets him develop!! Plus the Jets can win now with Rodgers !! The coaches would know if Zach improves in practice to pick up the 5th year 

Lamar is a pipe dream but this seems at least realistic and tangible.

If Saleh and Douglas want to keep their jobs....they need to make this happen.

• Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

After reading the last 3 pages of this thread I think I’m going to have to wrap my head around Zach Wilson’s development still being Joe Douglas’ end game.

As depressing as that is to think about, if it is the plan we should be asking who is the candidate on our list that is most qualified to attempt and maybe even succeed in doing that.
We need to be looking for the guy who is the best at working with a young QB rather than one who designs the most innovative offense.

Don’t kill me for this and if that is the case, I would look at mcadoo if he is let go out of Carolina.

I know he fell apart as hc in year 2 but as an oc and qb developer, he is worth a conversation

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

If that’s the case, then Douglas will probably be looking for a new job next offseason and the franchise will be better off for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

If Douglas wants to try and “rehabilitate” Zach Wilson behind Aaron Rodgers for two years, then I couldn’t care less.

But if he wants to stick him in some competition with Gardner Minshew or Jacoby Brissett, then he and Saleh might as well start packing their sh*t right now.

Yeah the only other way that Saleh and Douglas buy time is if they draft a QB and he plays next year and looks the part. The only other way is to bring in someone who’s the unquestioned starter.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

Yeah the only way that Saleh and Douglas buy time is if they draft a QB and he plays next year and looks the part. The only other way is to bring in someone who’s the unquestioned starter.

If I was Woody, I’d step in and kibosh any idea of letting those mooks get another chance at a highly drafted QB.

The solution, no question, has to be a veteran at this point.

And no Mike White’s, Gardner Minshew’s, Baker Mayfield’s or Jacoby Brissett’s either.

Either Rodgers or Carr with Garoppolo as the last ditch contingency plan.

Anything less is unacceptable 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If I was Woody, I’d step in and kibosh any idea of letting those mooks get another chance at a highly drafted QB.

The solution, no question, has to be a veteran at this point.

And no Mike White’s, Gardner Minshew’s, Baker Mayfield’s or Jacoby Brissett’s either.

Either Rodgers or Carr with Garoppolo as the last ditch contingency plan.

Anything less is unacceptable 

I think drafting a QB should be on the table but of course we have another regime who have backed themselves into a situation where they have to be desperate. I’d have moved on from Douglas already. 

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah the only other way that Saleh and Douglas buy time is if they draft a QB and he plays next year and looks the part. The only other way is to bring in someone who’s the unquestioned starter.

The way to buy time is get one of Rodgers, Brady or Carr and make a playoff run in 2023

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Right now this board is in dream mode. Rodgers and Lamar and Carr oh my 

Spoiler They are not getting any qb upgrade or even an OC upgrade 

It's going to be scraps. It's going to be like trubisky and Zach and some OC we've never heard of before 

No one good wants this job. And they don't really have any cap space 

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, football guy said:

It sounds fluid. OC and Zach's own progress will dictate next steps, but the ideal scenario would be for him to take the "Steve Young route" without having to change teams. For them, they're basically challenging the narrative that a total "change of scenery" is required for him to realize his potential, and that he can still become a good QB if he's awarded the time to develop within their program. Having said that, they're not going to "red-shirt" him to spite themselves... if they signed Jimmy, I think it would be more of a legitimate competition. If Zach flipped a switch and showed improved confidence, footwork, and consistent ball placement while clearly outperforming Jimmy all offseason, they would have a hard time justifying starting Jimmy. Jimmy has proven that he's a great teammate and will be ready whenever his number is called upon, which would be a good situation to have in your back pocket if Zach were to have a great camp but start to derail midseason. If they make a big commitment for Rodgers, naturally it wouldn't be a true competition and it would be more of a 1-2 year backup/mentorship program which would allow the Jets to monitor his progress behind the scenes and decide whether they would want to move forward with him post-Rodgers or get rid of him and start with someone new. 

I haven't heard this from anyone, but knowing what I know about JD, I think he would relish the opportunity to acquire Rodgers and let Zach continue to develop behind him. You figure it would be a 1-2 year stint for Rodgers, and if Zach showed improvement behind the scenes you can bring him back for his 5th year and draft a guy along the way to compete with him as a contingency plan (see Rodgers-Brohm in 2008). More likely I expect Jimmy is signed, is declared the "starter", but they will leave the door cracked open just enough for Zach to steal it from him if he has a stellar offseason. If he shows little improvement, they'll probably just reevaluate his future after the season/move on. 

Absolutely no way you could bring Zach back for his 5th year since the option is going to be $30 million and you have to make that decision after next year where, in your scenario, he's be a backup. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nothing only will we accept whatever trash they Trotter out, will will have convinced ourselves it's the right move 

Not me

I know some people have deluded themselves into thinking that some backup QB with “potential” like Mike White or Minshew should be the course of action, but Saleh and Douglas would have to truly have sh*t for brains to go that route.

Ray Charles could see that these two are going to be fighting for their jobs next season.

The owner has already come out and publicly said that he’ll do whatever it takes to land a quality veteran QB.

If Douglas and Saleh won’t oblige, then good luck elsewhere making 1/10th of your current salaries moving forward.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Why does signing Hackett who completely failed to develop an offense with Denver seem like the Jetsiest thing ever. Gase leaves basically in disgrace from Miami, we sign him as the "future" of football. Kotite implodes and is considered a horrible coach and we trip over ourselves to hire him. If we hire Hackett something in the entire process and philosophy of hiring coaches is just so "off" it's indescribable.

HC and OC are much different situations.  For example look at Bowles, great DC bad HC.

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Absolutely no way you could bring Zach back for his 5th year since the option is going to be $30 million and you have to make that decision after next year where, in your scenario, he's be a backup. 

Agree on the option, but why not just let things play out?  If the light goes on you'd be happy as a clam signing him to a second contract after year 4.  If he's still trash he walks and you're drafting a QB in 2024 to develop behind whoever is the starter.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I think drafting a QB should be on the table but of course we have another regime who have backed themselves into a situation where they have to be desperate. I’d have moved on from Douglas already. 

You just touched on the thing that drives me crazy with this board… the blind spot for Joe Douglas.
So many people here like to say things like “we are a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender” and talk about all the great young talent we supposedly have on this team, when in fact our FO is in desperation mode right now. Last year was a disaster.

The “development year” of Zach Wilson couldn’t have gone worse, we lost our last 6 games, our OL still stinks, we need to replace our entire Offensive CS, and oh yeah… we need to find a QB.

TLDR   3 years into the rebuild, we’re still a last place team, replacing half the CS, have no QB, and need to fix the OL.

• Upvote 3