Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Lol

By many accounts prior to the start of the season, their coaching staff was supposed to be solid. Also I vaguely remember there being reports that Russell Wilson came into Denver acting like a massive douchebag and it poisoned the locker room. I guess the Jets are trying to find out if that's the case? ?

Regardless I agree with you. It's a bad look for the team.

Yea, I’ve read similar. I’m mostly being cheeky.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

FWIW people with the jets aren’t convinced he will want to leave

Question, based on what you’ve heard are the jets still convinced ZW can be salvaged, or are they simply planning to bring in a vet qb and have wilson essentially red shirted next season while they make a playoff push, and then they can just get rid of him?

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Another cheap shot. Our offense was 25th and 26th the last two years, but MLF supposedly already has a new OC . Don’t recall Denver going 3 weeks without a TD.

So the Broncos were slightly better, maybe, with a borderline HOF QB, and we should be fine with hiring those guys?

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don’t think this would be that bad of a hire at all.  His offense was 12th in yardage and 14th in scoring in 21 with Vikings.

If you insert say Derek Carr or Garroppolo into the QB position next year and I’d say that would be VERY similar to the 21 Vikings offensive roster in terms of overall talent.  

Cousins numbers were better in 21 under Kubiak than this year under O’Connell.

Well, the thing is, we have to hire somebody I guess.  Why is this starting to look like there is trouble brewing? 

I actually convinced myself that we would be a desirable landing spot this time around.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So the Broncos were slightly better, maybe, with a borderline HOF QB, and we should be fine with hiring those guys?

Not saying that. It’s the idea that because we are interviewing them it’s SOJ, but whoever hired the equally putrid MLF will be considered a genius. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

Not saying that. It’s the idea that because we are interviewing them it’s SOJ, but whoever hired the equally putrid MLF will be considered a genius. 

Not genius, but I certainly like MLF better than any of the options that have been named with the lone exception of Joe Brady.  

Too late to hire MLF back?  lol.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Be interesting to see how all this shakes out. 10 offensive coordinator jobs around the league.  I think all the names linked to the Jets so far are legitimate options.  

I guess Nathaniel Hackett and Joe Brady are my Top 2 and Chad O’Shea and Nick Calley are my bottom 2 right now

9 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Be interesting to see how all this shakes out. 10 offensive coordinator jobs around the league.  I think all the names linked to the Jets so far are legitimate options.  

I guess Nathaniel Hackett and Joe Brady are my Top 2 and Chad O’Shea and Nick Calley are my bottom 2 right now

Where’s John Morton? Guy was the best OC the Jets had in decades.  They got rid of him in only 1 year over some petty bs.

It’s almost as though it goes down like this, “What are you trying to do? You’re not in the Bottom 1/16th in the league?  You’re Fired”.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:00 PM, johnnysd said:

The Jets are SERIOUSLY against the cap. And we are not a team with a lot of bloated veteran contracts we can just kick a couple years down the road. Signing the high priced vet everyone seems to want (I don't) and trading Zach would mean a lot of significant cuts, makes it difficult to sign Huff and extend Q and limits what we can do in FA. I personally do not see it as a viable route.

Not really.

They can clear $60MM without making the team noticeably worse.

• $17MM CJM
  • $15MM Lawson
  • $13MM Tomlinson
  • $10.5MM Davis
  • $5MM Berrios

Trading Zach clears $9MM more (though that's a 2-year savings, not just his guaranteed 2023 pay).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not really.

They can clear $60MM without making the team noticeably worse.

• $17MM CJM
  • $15MM Lawson
  • $13MM Tomlinson
  • $10.5MM Davis
  • $5MM Berrios

Trading Zach clears $9MM more (though that's a 2-year savings, not just his guaranteed 2023 pay).

Restructure Mosley. Losing him would not be good.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

At some point folks will realize no one good will want our (or the Commanders) OC jobs.

They're both almost assuredly one-year-and-out jobs.

add to that the extra burden of making sure Zach gets developed, in practice only I hope, but nevertheless an additional obstacle for anyone who considers the job.  In fact it's probably a deal-killer for most potential candidates.