Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Fair points. I just wonder if any other QB in the league, starter or backup, had to deal with an OC who wouldn’t talk to him.

Such a valid point and we can’t underestimate how bad lafleur made the situation if the reports of him are accurate.

I don’t really care if Zach is the starter or not but I do have to cut him some slack if the guy who is responsible for him will not speak or educate him.

to just say execute this and don’t f up is simply piss poor coaching and while lafleur is gone, saleh let it happen and he is still here

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

That's fair, but let's peel that onion back a little further because it keeps being brought up. Is the assumption here that the OC - who's livelihood depends on his QBs to execute their offenses - just decided one day that he's not going to talk to the 2nd overall pick?

Or could it be that the OC saw Zach struggle to complete screen passes or make the easy simple reads whereas the other QBs on the team had his offense sustaining drives, churning out yards, getting points, and grooming a star WR and star RB? And it created resentment - because he knew that the QB was going to eventually be his downfall?

I'm not saying LaFleur was correct in his handling of Zach. But I wasn't there. I don't know if he kept trying but Zach wasn't getting it and just decided to give up, or there was friction between them because of something. I don't know any of it and I"m not going to presume. At the end of the day though, it seems completely illogical to me that the OC would just decide to be a prick to the guy who was chosen to be the face of the franchise, especially when he knew his livelihood depended on it.

Good points. The thing that still bothers me is that it came out from multiple sources that MLF was not a communicator and left it all up to his coaches. Our QB coach, Callabrese, was in over his  head more than his boss was. MLF probably felt Saleh would protect him. Saleh, as HC, should have stopped that crap the moment it started. Honestly, I’m shocked that Woody didn’t send Saleh and the whole bunch of them packing if he’s as big a believer in Zach as we’re led to believe. Zach is worse now, by a lot, than the day he first set first in Florham Park. It’s like the Jets gave Zach Wylie Coyote as a coach for two years and then expected him to fly the Space Shuttle.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Steve Young did, and a lot of Niners fans thought the team was stupid for paying him a starter’s salary to sit behind Montana for what amounted to 5 years. Had the team listened to the fans and prioritized what they saw in a handful of games vs. what they saw behind the scenes on the other ~350 days a year, they would’ve went with Steve Bono over Steve Young in 1992. 

So yes, I stand by what I said. Jordan Love looked awful as a rookie and made some progress in year 2, but still not where the Packers wanted him to be- just because you didn’t see it doesn’t mean the team didn’t have that intel… Their perspective wouldn’t have changed on him even if he were forced into action in his first two years either. The big jump was this past year, and his progress throughout the offseason/regular season is exactly why they feel comfortable picking up his option and moving forward with him as their potential starter this year or next. 

If the Jets were to similarly see significant progress out of Wilson in the background throughout his 3rd year and determined they view him as worthy of being a starter in 2025 (or at the very least a bridge), picking up his $20 million option will not be prohibitive; that’s what veteran competition/high level backups will be paid by then. Not even close to being controversial. 

Steve Young 87 500K, 88 700K, 89 900K, 90 1M, 91 1.9 plus 80K bonus, 92 2.5 Million.

Joe Montana got 7.9 Million  87 through 90.  Steve Young got 3.1 Million 87 through 90.  Not exactly the same, not even half.  

In 1990 the 49ers were slapped with a fine and the loss of 2 draft picks for cheating on the salary cap.  The 49ers under Debartolo were fined at least twice for salary cap violations and had picks taken from them.  That's in addition for his suspension for pleading guilty to a felony for gambling corruption.

34 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hackett would be a disaster in NY.

He didn't call plays in GB.

He did call plays in Denver, and it was an abject failure.

He couldn't even get plays in on time, and his RZ playcalling and game management were even worse than LaFleur's.

It was so bad that the home crowd started chanting down the seconds left on the play clock.

Sounds like exactly what Saleh will want.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ok, that's 2. I got Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Who else you got?

Ryan Leaf threw 2 TDs and 15 interceptions and a 39 rating so no you dont got sh*t

Russel was also not terrible until his 3rd year when he had 3 TDs and 11 picks

You’re just another clueless fan regurgitating talking heads dog sh*t takes

Maybe this will help to get Joe Brady in for an interview @football guy

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Giants’ backup QB Davis Webb, who was offered Buffalo’s QB coach job last off-season, has expressed interest in starting the transition from player to coach. After securing his first NFL start this season, Webb will consider making the jump to coaching for the right opportunity.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hackett would be a disaster in NY.

He didn't call plays in GB.

He did call plays in Denver, and it was an abject failure.

He couldn't even get plays in on time, and his RZ playcalling and game management were even worse than LaFleur's.

It was so bad that the home crowd started chanting down the seconds left on the play clock.

He was in Jax as OC. Whether he called plays or not I don't know. And I know people will still trash him if he did or didn't...Unless your name is Frank Reich people will trash whomever is hired. Those then will trash Reich by the 2nd drive of the 1st preseason game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Good points. The thing that still bothers me is that it came out from multiple sources that MLF was not a communicator and left it all up to his coaches. Our QB coach, Callabrese, was in over his  head more than his boss was. MLF probably felt Saleh would protect him. Saleh, as HC, should have stopped that crap the moment it started. Honestly, I’m shocked that Woody didn’t send Saleh and the whole bunch of them packing if he’s as big a believer in Zach as we’re led to believe. Zach is worse now, by a lot, than the day he first set first in Florham Park. It’s like the Jets gave Zach Wylie Coyote as a coach for two years and then expected him to fly the Space Shuttle.

It appears that Saleh duplicated the prior Jets HC strategy of making sure that your assistants are yes people/not capable of being interim.  Mac made Gase take Gregg Williams, our best coordinator in a long time, and was quick to fire him after the Raiders cover zero fiasco.  

I agree that Woody should have replaced Saleh and the whole bunch of them after how they handled round 1 here.  If I really thought Saleh could learn something turn it around, I would feel differently.  It is going to be hard to hire an OC to make this team look good next year.  JD can more easily learn and improve.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FactsOnly said:

Ryan Leaf threw 2 TDs and 15 interceptions and a 39 rating so no you dont got sh*t

Russel was also not terrible until his 3rd year when he had 3 TDs and 11 picks

Yikes. I think this might be our first ever interaction. Chill out. Zach Wilson has proven he sucks over a two year span. It’s ok if you want to hold out hope that he’ll have the same magical turnaround that only one QB in league history has ever accomplished. I was just looking for some banter, but by all means, carry on with your misguided self.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

You've got it backwards.  Most 'talking heads' like Sims think Zach got a raw deal with MLF.  And that may be so, and make it worthy of keeping him around to see if he can improve at least in practice anyway.  Why not?  They are paying him regardless.  The only thing that could bail JD out of the Zach disaster right now would be a trade.  

I mean...  the latest defense of Zach around here is that "he's better than Ryan Leaf"  Wow.  

That's some pretzel logic right there.  A royal scam.  Square peg in  round hole.  You Zach Wilson bozos have me reeling.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yikes. I think this might be our first ever interaction. Chill out. Zach Wilson has proven he sucks over a two year span. It’s ok if you want to hold out hope that he’ll have the same magical turnaround that only one QB in league history has ever accomplished. I was just looking for some banter, but by all means, carry on with your misguided self.

God bless

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Someone struck a nerve there?  Most 'talking heads' like Sims think Zach got a raw deal with MLF.  And that may be so, and make it worthy of keeping him around to see if he can improve at least in practice anyway.  Why not?  They are paying him regardless.  The only thing that could bail JD out of the Zach disaster right now would be a trade.  

I mean...  the latest defense of Zach around here is that "he's better than Ryan Leaf"  Wow.

That's some pretzel logic right there.  A royal scam.  Square peg in a round hole.  You Zach Wilson bozos have me reeling.

No

I responded to someone saying he’s been Ryan Leaf, when anyone who has ever watched a game with any semblance of a brain rather than regurgitate clickbait headlines, can categorically see that Zach Wilson is better than Leaf EVER was in the NFL

clown show comparison

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Damn good chance he brings Marrone with him to fill the OL coach vacancy as well as take on some kind of running game coordinator/senior offensive consultant role.

And Marrone may only be second to Callahan as the best OL coach in the business.

Those two guys running the O, with Aaron Rodgers directing it on the field.

I can definitely get on board with that.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Those two guys running the O, with Aaron Rodgers directing it on the field.

I can definitely get on board with that.

Yep

Just connecting the dots and it feels like the Rodgers move is almost destined to happen.

Woody has already said he’ll do what it takes to land a viable veteran QB, Rodgers immediately makes the Jets a playoff contender (if not outright Super Bowl contender coupled with another quality offseason), Hackett is supposedly one of the top guys we’re considering as an OC, and if Douglas and Woody are hellbent on salvaging Zach, then there’s literally no better path than letting him sit behind his idol whom his entire game is modeled after, for a year or two.

Just makes too much sense 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Also a damn good chance he brings Marrone with him to fill the OL coach vacancy as well as take on some kind of running game coordinator/senior offensive consultant role.

And Marrone may only be second to Callahan as the best OL coach in the business today.

I personally dont want rogers but would be pretty happy with Hackett and Marrone.  Marrone could be a really good influence on this team as a veteran HC

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m not going to prejudge whoever they pick. Can we give a chance instead of saying this guy sucks or that guy sucks especially when most here have no clue who would be a good OC.

Sage advice. I looked really foolish back when I said Gase and MLF sucked as choices. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I think the Aaron Rodgers stuff could impact who they hire. The Senior Bowl will give them a real opportunity to feel out the QB market (+ Packers willingness to trade Rodgers) and also complete some interviews that will impact their decision-making. 

I’ve always figured Hackett would be on the staff in some capacity. I still am not convinced it would certainly be as OC. If they do hire him to be OC, I would think it’s because they think they have a real shot at landing Rodgers. Unlike last year when the Broncos hired Hackett, the ball was in Aaron’s court. Now the ball is in GB’s court, and if they decide the best course forward is rebuild and Aaron is forced to select an AFC team, our situation will appeal between Saleh, Hackett, and the young talent. 

I still think they will hire a PHI guy and pair them with Hackett. I think the team desperately wants to incorporate a more simple offensive strategy where they kind of take the core Shanahan/WCO principles but integrate more creative wrinkles such as the RPO… you look at what PHI and CIN are doing with it and it’s so simple, I think that’s what the Jets want.

Why does an appealing situation for Rodgers matter?

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

I personally dont want rogers but would be pretty happy with Hackett and Marrone.  Marrone could be a really good influence on this team as a veteran HC

Yea because Hackett and Marrone were known for big time offenses during their time in Buffalo and Jacksonville. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I think the Aaron Rodgers stuff could impact who they hire. The Senior Bowl will give them a real opportunity to feel out the QB market (+ Packers willingness to trade Rodgers) and also complete some interviews that will impact their decision-making. 

I’ve always figured Hackett would be on the staff in some capacity. I still am not convinced it would certainly be as OC. If they do hire him to be OC, I would think it’s because they think they have a real shot at landing Rodgers. Unlike last year when the Broncos hired Hackett, the ball was in Aaron’s court. Now the ball is in GB’s court, and if they decide the best course forward is rebuild and Aaron is forced to select an AFC team, our situation will appeal between Saleh, Hackett, and the young talent. 

I still think they will hire a PHI guy and pair them with Hackett. I think the team desperately wants to incorporate a more simple offensive strategy where they kind of take the core Shanahan/WCO principles but integrate more creative wrinkles such as the RPO… you look at what PHI and CIN are doing with it and it’s so simple, I think that’s what the Jets want.

Between Petulo & Johnson, what are the key differences from your perspective?

I don't know much about either - so any insight would be cool.