Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

12 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

They all improve

This. I mean look. The question is 'will the narrative change'.

I think the assumption will be that a QB like Rodgers will improve nearly all aspects of the offense. The o-line, the run game, the WRs the TEs, etc. That's just what happens when you already have talent and you insert a big impact QB with a ton of experience. Maybe they won't ALL improve by a lot. But overall, we will see a considerable improvement.

However, the narrative probably will not change much surrounding some of these players until we actually see them perform on the field. I think a lot of fans will still view Mims as a complete bust. They will still view Moore as an overrated waste of space. They will still worry about Conklin getting a case of the dropsies. They will still worry that Wilson will be hung out to dry without help from other guys around him. They will still expect the O-line to be completely ineffective creating holes for the RB and to crumble under pressure (and Becton getting hurt).  

So while the expectation will be that the offense overall will improve, I think some fans will still hold a certain negative narrative about specific players until they prove otherwise on the field.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Titan24 said:

You never waiver, which is commendable.  

I just don’t get the logic that you’re all in on Jimmy G, Minshew, Tannehill etc for 2 years while the team tries to find the future stud qb.  But you’re 100% out on having Aaron effing Rodgers for 2 years while the team tries to find the future stud qb?

Bc he wants Zach Wilson to play. That's what all of the shtick is about. Jimmy G, Tannehill and Minshew would guarantee Zach plays in 2023. Rodgers and Carr wouldn't. 

2 minutes ago, BP said:

Yep, if he didn’t own the Jets he’d just be another rich guy. He is dying to be like George Steinbrenner and loves attention, regardless of how the jet’s perform. 

Just hire a damn VP of Football Operations already, and don't make it a damn marketing guy. Let that be the buffer between the owner and GM/Coaches. Let that position be the filter.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

He's not a cancer. He's clearly still maturing and needs to work on his impulsiveness and tempering his emotions. He also was born March 27, making him an Aries.

Isn’t it ironic (cue Alaina Morrisette) that some here (in their 40s-70s) are upset about his emotional impulsiveness but are so quick to jump to conclusions (boat is sinking) based on single tweets by those who pretend to know more than they know.

Elijah Moore made a stupid mistake and should have known better since he, unlike us, is in the public spotlight.  As long as he has learned from that mistake, we should all be willing to move on..  

What he did was not that much worse than Garrett Wilson or Denzel Mims throwing their arms up in frustration during the game.  All signs of immaturity and deep frustration that they all need to grow up from.

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

He's not a cancer. He's clearly still maturing and needs to work on his impulsiveness and tempering his emotions. He also was born March 27, making him an Aries.

Let him mature on a rebuilding Packer team.  If we sign Rodgers its a two year window.   Bring in a mature player who wants to win. 

• Upvote 1

Wilson looks like an all time bust, but Aaron Rodgers coming here is the best case scenario for him. It's not going to be a long term commitment, and getting benched for a future 1st ballot Hall of Famer is better than getting benched for Baker Mayfield or Jacoby Brisett. 

Jets can sell it to him that he's not ready yet but the rest of the team is, and he can learn under an all time great, and blah blah blah. 

We'll hear reports from the Jets for the next year that Wilson "looks great" in practice. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well known facts about Woody:

-Up until the JD hiring, he had both the GM and the head coach reporting directly to him. Separately. Now, tell me he does not like to get involved.

-He loves attention and loves to talk about the Jets. Sometimes to the point where it gets the football team in a little bit of trouble, when he should have kept his mouth shut.

Not only does he love the attention, but I believe he is setting up a very clear structure to cloud the accountability of the decisions.

This way, he can keep who he wants, meaning those who let him meddle, get rid of those he wants to get rid of and place the blame on them, when they don't suit him or he needs to cover for someone else.

If there is one thing ive learned in life its that motivations matter, a lot! If your motivations are winning above all else, you bring in the best damn people you can and get out of their way and let them win. Hold them accountable to their decisions and their record.

If your motivations are to play GM, you still obviously want to win, but you hire people who will let you play GM.

This is why all the hate at ZW is just flat out stupid. He is a symptom of the problem, the real problem is the owner and the way he conducts and manages this team.

If we get Rodgers and it works, you will hear all about how Woody wanted Rodgers. If it doesnt work, Woody will fire someone and deflect the blame on them

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No, this will hell heal Zach’s ego because getting bench for future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers is literally his best case scenario right now. But  the rest of us? we will likely be miserable hearing how well he’s progressing under A-Rods tutoring. When in actuality A-Rod will be making fun of him with the rest of the starting offense when Zach is working with the 2 or 3’s. 

Not comic gold, but on target,  As much as I'd like to see the cement get driven out of ZW's head, I don't see it happening.  but if it is possible, AR is the the manpower to do it.  I don't see AR sugar coting it for ZW.  AR will tell ZW how badly he sucks and laugh while doing it.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your previous statement was that you see the Jets signing some "3rd tier qb", you had Garappolo in that group, I would not necessarily  label him that, and that you saw ZW staring about half the games for the Jets next season.

Jimmy G. has been bolstered by playing for an exceptional team/staff, a team/staff that made Mr. Irrelevant look like a possible OROTY and Super Bowl MVP.

Jimmy G. is now notoriously fragile, and his signing, for our well-known-to-be-injury-prone team, would be a clear signal that JD is supportive/good with ZW playing in 2023 after Jimmy G. inevitably fails or gets hurts.

The owner was upfront and boastful that this team would go after a veteran.

After his GM and Head Coach said they would.

Yeah, Woody is pulling some strings on the qb decision.

Again, pointless to debate this conjecture, because at the end of the day, it's on JD regardless.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It happens to some degree with all owners. Some more than others. Woody just can't keep his yap shut  with the inference that he is part of "operations". In that tweet interview I posted it was all about "we" when referring to what operations would do, rather than suggesting that "JD and staff are looking into options about making the team better, and that includes the qb position".  That is how smart, media savvy, non-inclusive owners do these things. Rather than injecting themselves. 

Woody tends more to want to be a Jerry jones type, rather than a Rooney type.

Both models can work as Jerry Jones has proven.

The problem with Woody is he’s a natural loser ;)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Your not looking for a franchise qb when you bring in Rodgers.  You are putting every resource into winning right now.  Look at the shape the Rams are in.  Look at the shape the Bucs are in.  That is what happens to your franchise when you make this type of move.  Those teams will stink for 5 years while they dig out of the "all in" hole.

And no, we are not winning a super bowl even if we have aaron rodgers so dont give me the "well those teams won a super bowl" nonsense.  Rodgers couldnt even get past jimmy garaopolo at home in the playoffs.  He has 0 chance of getting past mahomes, burrow, herbert, allen, lawrence etc. 

******* clueless 

• Upvote 2

The similarities about Favre an Rodgers are only in that they both played for GB, and they both have pretty big egos (as do many qb's). They end there. They are completely different types.

Until Rodgers start stealing welfare money and sending woman unwanted dick picks, he’s no Farve  

• Upvote 1

Green Bay totally desperate to move on from Rodgers shtick and his contract.

Green bay tells Rodgers we don't want you at all anymore.

Rodgers asks how many teams are feverishly after him the list must be long.

Green Bay tells him the Jets are the only team to have contacted them,

Wanting his 60 milllion dollars after weeks of musing he will go to the Jets cause he loves the jets and thinks they are the right situation for me so the narrative is Aaron got what he wanted all along.

Media will all lap up this narrative when really this is the packers dumping him and the desperate jets being the one and only team willing to go for him and all that the deal brings with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, no. Douglas has shown a clear MO in his style as a GM. Build through the draft (not always successfully), get rid of big contracts that aren't producing or who don't fit the system, leverage financially attractive trades, steer the ship with deliberation and patience. He's never been desperate, even when fans thought he should be. Woody, on the other hand, has made clear his frustration and displeasure with where the team is at and I'm pretty sure is drinking the same koolaid as some here who think a 40 year old ambivalent Aaron Rodgers is going to sweep the team to a Super Bowl. Woody is the one who is demanding Rodgers. He's the one who had to nix the Carr deal. And he's either going to overpay for Rodgers, or watch Rodgers retire. He's the gambler in this, not Douglas. It's his money, sadly.

We never have good options at qb. But I don’t disagree hoping rodgers gets somewhere in middle of 21 form and last yr. But even his rare off yr was better than just “average Joe “ Derek Carr. He was just dumped by the raiders of all franchises, for play only at a fairly young age. If it had been because he flipped a desk on his HC it would look better why he was dumped, for no one in particular either. But of course any option is better than Zach. Don’t worry there will always be a “ Derek Carr” like player available if we stoop to that level ha

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lol only the Jets. While significantly better than a Lamar Jackson move, trading for Rodgers is a super desperate move to outright idiotic. All fans can see is what Rodgers was not what he is.  If we do this I think 5-12 or worse is more likely than being a strong playoff contender. I hope the meeting did not go well.

LOL.  That's some take right there.

32 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

You just used two examples of teams that went all in and won Super Bowls.

One of those with a guy over 40.

This is not the argument you think it is.

I, and 99% of Jets nation, will happily trade a few seasons of current Bucs/Rams shape for a Championship.

Not to mention we aren't the Rams or Bucs with an already expensive veteran roster. The majority of our best talent is still youngish and cheap. Now is exactly when you can afford to go all in on a veteran QB.

Then you draft a rookie QB when we've established (hopefully) a winning culture and need to pay guys like Sauce. AVT, and G Wilson.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Green Bay totally desperate to move on from Rodgers shtick and his contract.

Green bay tells Rodgers we don't want you at all anymore.

Rodgers asks how many teams are feverishly after him the list must be long.

Green Bay tells him the Jets are the only team to have contacted them,

Wanting his 60 milllion dollars after weeks of musing he will go to the Jets cause he loves the jets and thinks they are the right situation for me so the narrative is Aaron got what he wanted all along.

Media will all lap up this narrative when really this is the packers dumping him and the desperate jets being the one and only team willing to go for him and all that the deal brings with it.

I think there's probably some truth to this.

Doesn't mean it can't work.

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just hire a damn VP of Football Operations already, and don't make it a damn marketing guy. Let that be the buffer between the owner and GM/Coaches. Let that position be the filter.

You’re thinking like an intelligent business person. Woody has been a billionaire since birth and has no clue how structure works in an organization. It’s been blatantly obvious for 23 years now.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Green Bay had the 17th ranked offense last year.

Our oc presided over the 21st ranked offense last year.

I do agree about Elijah Moore though.

The guy won back to back MVPs just 2 years ago after the last time people wrote him off and last year’s ‘struggles’ have been well documented and have real reasons.

The situation with the Jets is unique and exciting.  

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Link?

www.google.com

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And what was said in public in terms of timing does not equate what happened behind closed doors.

You don't know what is happening behind closed doors, nor do I.

Again, what's the point here? 

Let's agree to disagree and move on, this is literally the definition of a distinction without a difference.

JD is responsible regardless, end of story.

• More Ugh 1