Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

1st rounders as a whole only work out around 50% of the time. Not 1st round QBs. 1st rounders period.

For QBs it’s about the same. Then the possibility of drafting a pro bowl level QB from round five on is about 4%. 

• Upvote 1

That’s likely coming from GB. They want pick 13. Since we’ve said no, GB is like, well give us JJ, a 2nd and all this other stuff that adds up to the value of pick 13. The answer will be no because Rodgers isn't worth a mid 1st rounder.

If it were JJ for Rodgers straight up and GB taking some of the cap hit, that makes more sense.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

so better than the Jets chances of drafting a pro bowl level QB in any round.

Interestingly, the worst odds for first round QBs are picks 2-5, though I’m sure Sanchez, Darnold, and Wilson have something to do with that. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

No, it isn’t. The “compelling fact” is they have Rodgers until we make an offer they’re happy with… and we don’t.

and im ok with that ... **** em ... they can eat the salary and demolish their own house for the next three years.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah that’s easy for you to say, D. You still think Zach can become a FQB.

Never said that .. just said the book isn't closed ... yet. We NYers have thicker skins than those QB spoiled bitches in GB ... we have dwelled in QB hell forever ... they are new to it.   I think the Jets win this one.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

For QBs it’s about the same. Then the possibility of drafting a pro bowl level QB from round five on is about 4%. 

I had started a thread a few days ago about qbs that were cast off.  Geno Smith for example.

I'm wondering if the low success rate of QB's drafted in the later rounds has a lot to do with the GM and HC's pride of authorship in high round draft picks as opposed to it being all about a prospect's actual abilities.  Could it be that teams will go all out and then some to try to make a Zach Wilson work out while doing little to nothing to make a QB prospect drafted in a later round work out ???  These days, everyone wants the QBs that are drafted in round one to start right away and it often leads to very bad results.  I'm guessing there were and are a lot more QB prospects that could have worked out if they had gotten better coaching and for longer time before they were put on the field.  That goes for all the later round QB picks that probably didn't get so much consideration. Thousands of moving parts to it. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

A lot of good info here, from today 

I think... like everything in this, is there's 2 sides to it. I actually think Boomer's trade offer is right around what I think the price is we wind up getting him for.

But GB fans will say... well that's Boomer a Jets fan saying this. Which is true. So they think that offer is crazy low. When if you add up swapping 13 and 15, that's a late 3rd rounder in value, a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year... that's puts you right at a late 1st rounder in value.

So let's look at how that ranks NFL draft trade chart value wise. 13 to 15 in 100pts. Our 2nd is 470pts. So that alone in value puts that trade offer at the value of what would be between the 33rd and 34th pick. So very close to a 1st round value. So if we throw a conditional scenario in there that keeps us at that area of the 3rd or 4th round area. Your right around that bottom 5 of the 1st round area. Which for them should be better. You have 3 shots to get impact players. Where if we were to trade them just 1 pick. That one guy fails and it looks awful for them. 

What I think is spot on is his take on GBs ego's right now. JD is a GM that has had some of the best training a GM can have in his NFL FO career. Gutenkust has been with GB and knows really nothing else for 25 years now. He has no clue how regular franchises are run. He had 1 year of scouting in KC (when he was 25yrs old) before going to GB. That's hardly seeing how things work. Eventually GB needs to put their egos to the side and do right by their franchise legend. No paying him for 15 years isn't all you owe him. Especially the way that team is ran. They have no QB these last 15 years and who knows if GB even has a team still. Quite frankly they're a franchise that has got lucky on 2 HOF QBs with very long careers for them. And that's gotten them by for 30 years. And this is where the ego comes in with them. But they were the pones who put a time frame on this and gave AR that contract. Not the Jets. So it's on them to do things right now. Jets gave their offer. AR only wants us. It's not now the time to play hardball. Except that's too late. This has already gone on too long. I feel like in 10 years we talk about this saga and lets say the trade goes through Thursday this week. It will have felt like it went on for months looking back.

13 swapped for 15, our 2023 2nd and a conditional pick that can only go as high as a 2nd in 2024 (if we win the SB) and as low as a 4th. Seems fair.

We do need Rodgers. So we are desperate. But we aren't send them a straight up 1st for him desperate.

The longer this drags out is bad for all sides.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah that’s easy for you to say, D. You still think Zach can become a FQB.

If the Packers stretch it out beyond the draft, the Jets could opt to get into Lamar talks for the ‘24 and ‘25 ones, or talk to the Rams who’d probably love to trade Stafford - off the top of my head. The Packers, otoh, absolutely have to trade Rodgers. He cannot be on their books come September and cutting him doesn’t solve the problem, it exacerbates it. They have to trade him and the Jets are the only team willing to give anything so far. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

bad take ... JD does not panic ... Green Bay will be a sunken ship for the next three years if they don't unload Rodgers.

JD is very good at trading away assets 

But Trading for players, he sucks 

Joe Flacco, James Robinson are two examples of his genius acquisitions 

The Packers are not under the gun. They do not have to win this year. Jd has to win or else 

• More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I think... like everything in this, is there's 2 sides to it. I actually think Boomer's trade offer is right around what I think the price is we wind up getting him for.

But GB fans will say... well that's Boomer a Jets fan saying this. Which is true. So they think that offer is crazy low. When if you add up swapping 13 and 15, that's a late 3rd rounder in value, a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year... that's puts you right at a late 1st rounder in value.

So let's look at how that ranks NFL draft trade chart value wise. 13 to 15 in 100pts. Our 2nd is 470pts. So that alone in value puts that trade offer at the value of what would be between the 33rd and 34th pick. So very close to a 1st round value. So if we throw a conditional scenario in there that keeps us at that area of the 3rd or 4th round area. Your right around that bottom 5 of the 1st round area. Which for them should be better. You have 3 shots to get impact players. Where if we were to trade them just 1 pick. That one guy fails and it looks awful for them. 

What I think is spot on is his take on GBs ego's right now. JD is a GM that has had some of the best training a GM can have in his NFL FO career. Gutenkust has been with GB and knows really nothing else for 25 years now. He has no clue how regular franchises are run. He had 1 year of scouting in KC (when he was 25yrs old) before going to GB. That's hardly seeing how things work. Eventually GB needs to put their egos to the side and do right by their franchise legend. No paying him for 15 years isn't all you owe him. Especially the way that team is ran. They have no QB these last 15 years and who knows if GB even has a team still. Quite frankly they're a franchise that has got lucky on 2 HOF QBs with very long careers for them. And that's gotten them by for 30 years. And this is where the ego comes in with them. But they were the pones who put a time frame on this and gave AR that contract. Not the Jets. So it's on them to do things right now. Jets gave their offer. AR only wants us. It's not now the time to play hardball. Except that's too late. This has already gone on too long. I feel like in 10 years we talk about this saga and lets say the trade goes through Thursday this week. It will have felt like it went on for months looking back.

13 swapped for 15, our 2023 2nd and a conditional pick that can only go as high as a 2nd in 2024 (if we win the SB) and as low as a 4th. Seems fair.

We do need Rodgers. So we are desperate. But we aren't send them a straight up 1st for him desperate.

The longer this drags out is bad for all sides.

Remove the 2nd from this year... No way he swaps and trades a 2nd this year... Swap and 3rd or 4th maybe and a conditional next year and davis

• Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

No, it isn’t. The “compelling fact” is they have Rodgers until we make an offer they’re happy with… and we don’t.

the compelling fact is aaron rodgers is owed $60 million by whatever team he is a part of for the 2023 season.

if packers want to hold on to rodgers, then the packers have to pay him $60 million for the 2023 season

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The Packers are not under the gun. They do not have to win this year. Jd has to win or else 

Packers have to trade him this year or the cap hit is huge next year... If he doesn't retire and packers want to get anything for him... 

Especially if they want 2023 draft picks... The closer the draft comes the more pressure is on packers not jets 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Couldn't Rodgers leverage the Packers and speed up this tortuous process by doing something like this:

Offer to tear up his contract to free GB from the dead cap ramifications, but contingent on 2 things:

1)  Packers agree to trade him to Jets for Corey Davis and a bucket of urine

2)  Jets give him a new, reworked deal.  They could structure it with void years and a disproportionate amount of bonus money so he doesn't lose a $1 of guaranteed money.

Win-Win-Win for Jets-Packers-ARod

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Have faith brother ... Good Times Ahead  ! (299)

Edited by Dunnie

Not directly Rodgers-related, but fans can only dream Jets will become like the Eagles in one respect:  players desperately wanting to stay with the organization, even to the point of taking "hometown discounts".

I mean it's crazy.

Fletcher Cox

Darius Slay didn't want to leave and was able to hang on and get them to re-sign him

All over twitter you see Eagles players who can't say enough good things about the franchise and how they want to stay.

Is it just because they have Hurts and a good team?

Jets have been the opposite.  Nobody really wants to go there, and the Jets have to overpay ("Jets tax") just to bring in non-difference makers like Laken Tomlinson, CJU, Conklin.

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

the compelling fact is aaron rodgers is owed $60 million by whatever team he is a part of for the 2023 season.

if packers want to hold on to rodgers, then the packers have to pay him $60 million for the 2023 season

or 40mm cap if he retires

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Interestingly, the worst odds for first round QBs are picks 2-5, though I’m sure Sanchez, Darnold, and Wilson have something to do with that. 

I’ve banged this drum for a while. My theory is that there’s a small proportion of quarterbacks who will succeed anywhere, and those guys almost always go #1 overall. A good chunk of guys will bust anywhere. And then a group has a chance if they’re developed properly and have good supporting casts. Guys drafted 2-5 go to bad teams and/or teams that gave up serious capital to get them and even if they had a chance somewhere it’s not with the organization that took them. 

In my opinion the best bet is to piece together a competent team with average quarterback play and then get into the 6-12 range for a guy you love to try to get you over the top. Cost isn’t too prohibitive but talented guys will fall there. Then give him some time. Easier said than done since someone you love needs to slide, but I think that should be plan A. If the Jets don’t give up too much capital for Rodgers and he plays multiple years they could try this in 2024 too, or they can just hold onto the hope that Wilson magically develops a pocket presence.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Couldn't Rodgers leverage the Packers and speed up this tortuous process by doing something like this:

Offer to tear up his contract to free GB from the dead cap ramifications, but contingent on 2 things:

1)  Packers agree to trade him to Jets for Corey Davis and a bucket of urine

2)  Jets give him a new, reworked deal.  They could structure it with void years and a disproportionate amount of bonus money so he doesn't lose a $1 of guaranteed money.

Win-Win-Win for Jets-Packers-ARod

Why on earth would he do that ? The number is not inconsequential.

• Sympathy 1