Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

If GB is to pick up more money, it would mean the contract is restructured in a way where they reduce and convert a portion of the option bonus into a guaranteed roster bonus due on a date before the trade is finalized. 

Say the Packers were to agree to take on $10 million additional, they would reduce the option to $48.3 million, pay Aaron $10 million on 3/14, and then the Jets take on the remainder of the contract on 3/15. Rodger's cap hit for 2023 would be $13.24 million for 2023, $30 million for 2024, and then assuming he were to retire the Jets would be responsible for $23.4 million cap hits in 2025-26 (which the Jets figure they can easily digest being that they have very minimal dead cap on the books, and being that the cap is expected to raise exponentially with the new broadcasting agreements going into effect). 

I have no idea whether GB has agreed to do this or not. I do understand that GB and NYJ either have the bulk of the compensation agreed upon or are very close to it. Any rumors we hear prior to tomorrow are probably just made up... the only people who know what's going on right now are Rodgers, his agent David Dunn, Woody, Christopher, Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, and potentially Hymie. 

How close is this to actually happening? Think it’s done before Friday?

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not really. I don't think the deal is going to happen at all 

Woody probably spent the whole time talking about Zach 

I don't think there would be any motivation on Aaron Rodgers' part to meet with the Jets, unless he actually had an interest in playing for them. He cannot use them as leverage as he is not a free agent. It was a mutual meeting with both sides having interest. Maybe the Jets get out there, hear about the Lamar Jackson situation and change their minds. I think the Jets have many more choices than Rodgers has, so destroy the Jets and whine about the SOJ, we have a team that can be very good with Aaron Rodgers. He might not be everyone's favorite guy, he is smart and wants to win. The Jets give him his best chance.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJA788/history/20230308/0650Z/KLAX/KHPN

Here you go guys...monitor the flight back to Westchester Co airport...schedule to leave CA around 11PM pacific time.  It would be something if AR is on the flight back though...lol.

I miss HPN. Best regional airport, bar none.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

What’s he deciding on? That he may retire? Staying in GB isn’t an option. They are ready to hand it over to Love. 

Yea it seems pretty clear

1) he's planning to play

2) it won't be for the Packers

The next questions would be

1) Do you want to come to the Jets?

2) Who else do you want here?

It seems too perfect of a fit for all involved.

• Upvote 1

Seen this on Reddit, some very good points: 

“ Rodgers also has a lot of leverage over both team's ATM and could want to milk this situation for even more concessions.

Using Russel Wilson as an example he got a contract extension and a personal office, if you're Rodgers and you know the Jets need you more than you need them, why not see what you can get from Woody and Douglas?

If he wasn't interested I doubt we would be meeting with him at all, but it's also business. “

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea it seems pretty clear

1) he's planning to play

2) it won't be for the Packers

The next questions would be

1) Do you want to come to the Jets?

2) Who else do you want here?

It seems too perfect of a fit for all involved.

My guess is it starts with Bakhtiari and Lazard. Cutting Davis and replacing him with Lazard makes a lot of sense. I don't know whether Bakhtiari is a cut from the Packers or traded to the Jets for a later pick. I suppose it would be a money deal.

Was it in tonight's Tuesday night chat that Linsley was mentioned as a possible San Diego cut? That would go a long way toward building out a line that makes Rodgers comfortable. Bakhtiari and Linsley (with McGovern walking), AVT, LT, as well as Brown, Becton, and Mitchell, and a possible early drafted OT who starts on the right side and slides over to the left would make for a very solid line. Add to that maybe a middle rounder IOL, and the foundation for a good line is in place.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

If GB is to pick up more money, it would mean the contract is restructured in a way where they reduce and convert a portion of the option bonus into a guaranteed roster bonus due on a date before the trade is finalized. 

Say the Packers were to agree to take on $10 million additional, they would reduce the option to $48.3 million, pay Aaron $10 million on 3/14, and then the Jets take on the remainder of the contract on 3/15. Rodger's cap hit for 2023 would be $13.24 million for 2023, $30 million for 2024, and then assuming he were to retire the Jets would be responsible for $23.4 million cap hits in 2025-26 (which the Jets figure they can easily digest being that they have very minimal dead cap on the books, and being that the cap is expected to raise exponentially with the new broadcasting agreements going into effect). 

I have no idea whether GB has agreed to do this or not. I do understand that GB and NYJ either have the bulk of the compensation agreed upon or are very close to it. Any rumors we hear prior to tomorrow are probably just made up... the only people who know what's going on right now are Rodgers, his agent David Dunn, Woody, Christopher, Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, and potentially Hymie

?

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

“ Rodgers also has a lot of leverage over both team's ATM and could want to milk this situation for even more concessions.

Using Russel Wilson as an example he got a contract extension and a personal office, if you're Rodgers and you know the Jets need you more than you need them, why not see what you can get from Woody and Douglas?

If he wasn't interested I doubt we would be meeting with him at all, but it's also business. “

Interesting what I heard was mostly that green Bay was the issue right now and how the compensation was going to play out. JD was staying strong as always and Rodgers was for going to New York and having exactly what he wants as far as offense goes....

I think that dead money is the only really hindrance in the whole situation 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:10 PM, GreenFish said:

We will find out tomorrow that Rodgers will be a Jet.

GB receives a 2023 2nd and a 2024 conditional pick that starts as a 3rd and can be a 1st if the Jets make it to the AFC Championship game.

Jets get Rodgers and a conditional 2025 3rd if Rodgers decides not to play in 2024.

Rodgers contract gets restructured.

Nooooo. Go fish. 

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I don’t think the NFL allows teams to include Ayahuasca doses in negotiations.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Interesting what I heard was mostly that green Bay was the issue right now and how the compensation was going to play out. JD was staying strong as always and Rodgers was for going to New York and having exactly what he wants as far as offense goes....

I think that dead money is the only really hindrance in the whole situation 

A packers fan responded this 

“Yep that’s how I see it. Johnson was there because there are demands Rodgers is going to have that exceeds what the coach and GM can do. No reason to rush it, I don’t believe any leaks because Aaron Rodgers has shown no one, especially ESPN reporters, has any idea what’s going on with him. Every day we get a new report “Packers can’t wait to trade him” and then “they’ll have him back if he wants to be here”. I usually support the media but it’s been embarrassing how they’ve covered AR and this trade stuff. 

The Jets could have a deal done and just want to make sure everything is in order before an announcement. Same with Rodgers, he is a troll but to have literally every important person from the Jets come to him today shows he’s serious about coming to NY“

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

My guess is it starts with Bakhtiari and Lazard. Cutting Davis and replacing him with Lazard makes a lot of sense. I don't know whether Bakhtiari is a cut from the Packers or traded to the Jets for a later pick. I suppose it would be a money deal.

Was it in tonight's Tuesday night chat that Linsley was mentioned as a possible San Diego cut? That would go a long way toward building out a line that makes Rodgers comfortable. Bakhtiari and Linsley (with McGovern walking), AVT, LT, as well as Brown, Becton, and Mitchell, and a possible early drafted OT who starts on the right side and slides over to the left would make for a very solid line. Add to that maybe a middle rounder IOL, and the foundation for a good line is in place.

Yea! I really think we are planning Bakhtiari at LT and Linsley at C. Chargers are $21m over the cap, Linsley saves $5.4m, I'm hoping he becomes a cut. 

LT - Bakhtiari / Brown

LG - Tomlinson / xxx

C - Linsley / xxx

RG - AVT / xxx

RT - Becton / Mitchell

I could totally get down with this OL. Immediately plugs holes with Rodgers approved players. I'd look to target a Center that can play Guard in the 2nd or 3rd round. It gives you an heir to Linsley while protecting you against the poor play from Tomlinson. I think in this situation we are not taking OT in the first. I would anticipate a trade down, maybe for the top Safety.

I'd sniff around Andrew Vorhees in the draft, really good OL who tore his ACL at combine. Won't help you this year but could be had late in the draft.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

We're definitely losing the 23 first Rd pick 

worth it.....100%
rodgers does alot of things besides just play qb for us for 2 years. he legitimizes the team for any potential free agents. he also gives zach wilson the best chance to actually possible learn and practice and become at least decent. 2 years under rodgers' tutelage with no pressure to do anything.....wilson either realizes some of his potential or not....in the mean time you can draft another developmental guy in like the 3rd or 4th round. and obviously there's the part where we have a future HOf qb who will be motivated to try to win another superbowl with a team that has a few great young weapons and a great defense. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

worth it.....100%
rodgers does alot of things besides just play qb for us for 2 years. he legitimizes the team for any potential free agents. he also gives zach wilson the best chance to actually possible learn and practice and become at least decent. 2 years under rodgers' tutelage with no pressure to do anything.....wilson either realizes some of his potential or not....in the mean time you can draft another developmental guy in like the 3rd or 4th round. and obviously there's the part where we have a future HOf qb who will be motivated to try to win another superbowl with a team that has a few great young weapons and a great defense. 

While it would be worth it, it will not happen. JD/Rodgers have the leverage and both know it. All the reasons, from Love’s 4th year in the league to Rodgers large Cap Hit, GB needs him gone. Woody may have a boner for Aaron but he won’t let that #1 go this year.

With Jimmy G being their backup option, Jets would be ready to back out if necessary. Only question would be AR getting cold feet which actually helps our negotiating power.

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

While it would be worth it, it will not happen. JD/Rodgers have the leverage and both know it. All the reasons, from Love’s 4th year in the league to Rodgers large Cap Hit, GB needs him gone. Woody may have a boner for Aaron but he won’t let that #1 go this year.

With Jimmy G being their backup option, Jets would be ready to back out if necessary. Only question would be AR getting cold feet which actually helps our negotiating power.

it's gonna happen. and jimmy g is NOT a back up option. he is an injury prone jag....douglas, johnson and saleh all know that settling for an injury prone pretty boy who is average at best would be a huge failure after publically courting aaron rodgers and eschewing the one real plan b in derek carr. if it takes the #13 pick to get him here then the #13 pick it will be. 

edit: after re-reading i think i misunderstood your post slightly. i think you are saying the trade will still happen just not for the #13 pick. that's a possibility for sure and would be preferable....just don't be surprised if the #13 get traded either

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

it's gonna happen. and jimmy g is NOT a back up option. he is an injury prone jag....douglas, johnson and saleh all know that settling for an injury prone pretty boy who is average at best would be a huge failure after publically courting aaron rodgers and eschewing the one real plan b in derek carr. if it takes the #13 pick to get him here then the #13 pick it will be. 

I don't think it costs 13 to get Rodgers. I think it costs 13 to get Rodgers + Bakhtiari + Packers eat some money

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think it costs 13 to get Rodgers. I think it costs 13 to get Rodgers + Bakhtiari + Packers eat some money

The only reason to take Bahktieri would be if you can extend him one year for reasonable cost & Minimize his cap hit. We will be losing Brown next year & it will be Becton’s last year. We still need to be drafting offensive line this year and next.

• Upvote 1