Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Nuance or not you still don’t know how much Rodgers has left and if he really wants play or is it just for the money and goes through the motions then you still have no QB or just a really expensive average QB 

I'll take my chances with a guy who clearly understands the position mentally, and has proven that he can also do it physically. We haven't had  a guy capable of either in decades. Sure, he may not be where he was previously, but I am supremely confident he'll have a better year than Baker Mayfield. As I type that, I'm questioning why I am even engaging in this ridiculous discussion.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're gonna look like schmucks if he retires.

Worse, we're gonna look like stupid schmucks if he takes a few weeks into the Free Agency period to make the decision.

/facepalm, hope for the best, fear the worst.....

Haven’t most reports said the jets have given this situation a March 12th deadline? We’ll know what’s happening before the tampering period begins.

18 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I just cannot see him retiring in the same year as Brady.  Do we really think he wants to share the spotlight with him in 5 years?

One of the dumber hot takes I see people repeating....you think Aaron Rodgers with 500 mil in the bank cares if he goes into the football HOF the same year as Tom Brady?  He's going to live a full year of his life in a different way because of this? lol

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

One of the dumber hot takes I see people repeating....you think Aaron Rodgers with 500 mil in the bank cares if he goes into the football HOF the same year as Tom Brady?  Like he's going to live a full year of his life in a different way because of this? lol

I actually don't think it's that much of a dumb hot take, actually.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BleedinGreenNC said:

I hope the Jets dont get left with egg all over their face. Ugh, i do not have a good feeling about this.

I tried to tell every foolish person on this board yesterday thats excited for rodgers.....ITS NOT HAPPENING!!! We're getting a giant epic kick in the balls

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL.  Do you really think that Rodgers will skirt camp... ? come on.  Too funny.  He'll be on a new team.  He will practically be in charge of the offense with Hackett. He'll be there.  It will be his offense.

Dude been spamming the board with that same tired: “oh gosh No! What a terrible idea, here’s a list of JAG’s that I approve of though”

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You can't touch the QB in todays NFL. 40 ain't what it used to be.

Tom Brady 43 Buccaneers 2021 (55)
Tom Brady 41 Patriots 2019 (53)
Peyton Manning 39 Broncos 2016 (50)
Tom Brady 39 Patriots 2017 (51)
Earl Morrall 38 Dolphins 1973 (7)
John Elway 38 Broncos 1999 (33)

Don’t forget Farve at 40 with Vikings in 09. Of course yr after we had him with a torn bicep, he goes on to having MVP running yr with Vikes and one of his best yrs of career. Too bad we couldn’t have kept him 1 more yr, but had to pave the way for Mark Sanchez lol 

36 minutes ago, VERMONT JET said:

How do we know Carr wanted to sign with the Jets?  He could have been using the Jets to drive up his contract with NO.  He did go to NO first with permission from the Raiders.  We have no idea if he truly wanted to be a Jet or not. 

Nope! Never will know. But think he would’ve for the money. Moot now. That said- this is playing out just the way many thought. 

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You can't touch the QB in todays NFL. 40 ain't what it used to be.

Tom Brady 43 Buccaneers 2021 (55)
Tom Brady 41 Patriots 2019 (53)
Peyton Manning 39 Broncos 2016 (50)
Tom Brady 39 Patriots 2017 (51)
Earl Morrall 38 Dolphins 1973 (7)
John Elway 38 Broncos 1999 (33)

Brady was a shell at 44 and is retired.  Manning was done at 40.  Morrall was done already at 38 and was a back up to Griese and never had to throw on that team.  Elway was done at 39.  It's a cliff for old QBs. They play well and then they are terrible the next season. That is a real possibility with Rodgers.  So yes - take a shot. But don't provide GB compensation for an MVP QB when you are likely getting middle of the pack performance at best with a 39-40 year old.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Don’t forget Farve at 40 with Vikings in 09. Of course yr after we had him with a torn bicep, he goes on to having MVP running yr with Vikes and one of his best yrs of career. Too bad we couldn’t have kept him 1 more yr, but had to pave the way for Mark Sanchez lol 

Rex wanted Favre back, Brett wanted to move on.

• Upvote 1

The Jets entire Organization has set us up for a summer of “LOL JETS!” If Rodgers leaves that money on the table and retires. 

This might legitimately kill this regime before the season even starts (if we can’t get Lamar of course) 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I actually don't think it's that much of a dumb hot take, actually.

Brady is the GOAT so the NFL and Brady won't want it shared.  I'll bet Rodgers could give a f*ck about it.  Plus, Brady has already won a ring with another team. Frankly... I really think it all comes down to this question....

Do I keep going another 2 years in a place I don't want to be for an ungodly amount money,  or do I shut it down now and move on with my already rich life?  There are a lot of rich people for whom this is no contest...  give me that money.  I don't know if Rodgers is like that.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Brady was a shell at 44 and is retired.  Manning was done at 40.  Morrall was done already at 38 and was a back up to Griese and never had to throw on that team.  Elway was done at 39.  It's a cliff for old QBs. They play well and then they are terrible the next season. That is a real possibility with Rodgers.  So yes - take a shot. But don't provide GB compensation for an MVP QB when you are likely getting middle of the pack performance at best with a 39-40 year old.  

I wouldn't give them MVP compensation - they should be compensated based on his age and contract. I'm just saying it's a shot worth taking with the roster we have and recent history of teams with QB's in this age group winning big.

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The world has changed over the last 15 years

Absolutely.  The NFL rules to coddle QB's and open passing has made the QB position exponentially more important than ever. 

The owners created this.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

The Jets entire Organization has set us up for a summer of “LOL JETS!” If Rodgers leaves that money on the table and retires. 

This might legitimately kill this regime before the season even starts (if we can’t get Lamar of course) 

Anyone willing to give up half the asking price for Lamar should have their head examined.

quit on his team, gets hurt, has never been as good as his rookie year. That money and compensation would be ludicrous.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

those are just QB's who won a superbowl in this age group. Favre is a good example of another playing at a high level though. Easily could have won a superbowl during his twilight years.

• Upvote 1

Tremendous thread, but on gnashing of whether Rodgers wants to retire or not, or concerns that Jets regime is taking a risk or that they would be left with egg on their face if Rodgers decides to move on, I don't think the JD and the Jets fly to California if Rodgers told them at any time "Look guys, I don't think I have anything left..."

Just saw the last post, just see the update from Garafolo.

If Rodgers retires they have to immediately pivot to Lamar. 

-3 yrs $135 million fully guaranteed with 2 void years for Cap purposes.

-$80 million Signing bonus

Year 1

Base Salary (GTD): $10 million

Cap hit: $28 million

Year 2

Base Salary (GTD):$20 million

Cap hit: $38 million

Year 3

Base Salary (GTD): $25 million

Cap hit: $43 million

-$36 million dead cap money after 3rd year. 

-Agreement to not franchise tag 

• Upvote 2

Just now, HighPitch said:

Jets need to have a deadline for this nonsense

How do you know they don't?

Look, I get it. Half the guys here think that Aaron Rodgers owes them a quick answer on what amounts to a major, personal life decision just because they want to know today. Clearly, they are they humble ones compared to Mr Ego.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That is my hope too, things always come down to money so maybe even with this much money there he is posturing somehow.

At the highest level the Jets are telling people they don't know when Rodgers will decide. So that part is scary.

Does this mean Jets are GB are fully aligned on a deal?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'll take my chances with a guy who clearly understands the position mentally, and has proven that he can also do it physically. We haven't had  a guy capable of either in decades. Sure, he may not be where he was previously, but I am supremely confident he'll have a better year than Baker Mayfield. As I type that, I'm questioning why I am even engaging in this ridiculous discussion.

By your own admission you stated that Rodgers would be an average QB. My point was and is why are you or any one else willing to pay 40 million for an old average QB when there are plenty of average QBs that are far less expensive 

• More Ugh 1