Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Ouch

Nobody cares about the money it's the years and guarantees.....Jackson gets hurt in the first year and your franchise is sunk for a decade.....not sure why this is so complicated for people to understand.   If Rodgers is a bust everyone just moves on with their lives in a year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

this is crap.

baltimore is widely regarded as one of the best run organizations in the league.  they don't think jackson is worth the contract he (reportedly) is asking for.  yet the "smart move" for the jets would be to give jackson a contract baltimore won't match, plus forfeit two 1st rounders?

LaCanfora is a ******* loser

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you think Joe Douglas should explore trading Quinnen Williaims for a haul if the Jets give Lamar Jackson the guaranteed contract he's looking for? 

I wouldn't be opposed to it.  I get that we want to finally be able to pay a homegrown player and whatever, but like...f**k defense at this point.  We have plenty of talent on that side of the ball even without QW, he plays under 70 % of snaps and I'm not completely convinced his play last year is a lock to be repeatable.  

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Narrator: The didn't go get Jackson.

I think folks really need to come to terms with the idea that the Jets have no interest whatsoever in giving Jackson the kind of contract he would require, at the cost of 2x #1 picks and a massive risk profile.

How Fans view Jackson clearly isn't in-line with how NFL front Offices view Jackson.

Why you gotta crush my dream like that

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are so many of you willing to throw away 2x #1's and $230 million guaranteed, for a guy who could have his career legit ended on his first run of 2023?

Can you not, after the exemplar of RGIII, see the massive risk involved here?  

What do you think would happen with Jackson, that he'll be the first ever run-first QB to become a better, faster runner the older he gets, and will suddenly become immune to runner's injuries if he's playing for NY?

A wager on Jackson, at that price, is a wager that he is in fact the greatest player in NFL history and won't get hurt again.  Ever.  And will become a 10x better passer while not losing anything in his running skills.

Amazing how few want to even consider the risk/reward concept of this one.  Let’s follow up one of the worst in NFL history QB draft picks with one of the worst in NFL history QB contracts, lol.

Im not a huge Lamar fan. But yea I’d be willing to “throw away” 2 1st round draft picks to have a franchise qb. How many 1st round draft picks have we wasted the last 10 years? (Quinton Coples, Dee Milliner, Darron lee, Calvin Pryor, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson) 

Who cares about 230 million gaurenteed. Not my money. Burrow will get more, Herbert will get more, and every other top end qb will eventually get more. The cap only goes up. Even mediocre qbs like Daniel jones are getting 40 million a year. But jets would be stupid to give Lamar 45 per?

25 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Ouch

people are so dumb. there is a reason the jets would go after Aaron vs. Lamar

Aaron, you dont have to change anything...its plug and play

Lamar, you have to change your entire system and i dont even know if they have the coaches or horses to run it

i am not going to argue who is the better player, but i will argue that the jets arent looking to blow things up and start rebuilding around Lamar's strengths

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Guarantee that if rodgers returns to GB he’s not calling him broken down.  He’s only broken down if he goes to the jets. 

Rodgers is broken down, not Jackson who’s missed the final month of the season now two years running. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Im not a huge Lamar fan. But yea I’d be willing to “throw away” 2 1st round draft picks to have a franchise qb. How many 1st round draft picks have we wasted the last 10 years? (Quinton Coples, Dee Milliner, Darron lee, Calvin Pryor, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson) 

Who cares about 230 million gaurenteed. Not my money. Burrow will get more, Herbert will get more, and every other top end qb will eventually get more. The cap only goes up. Even mediocre qbs like Daniel jones are getting 40 million a year. But jets would be stupid to give Lamar 45 per?

How many other QBs who have thrown for over 3000 yards exactly once in five seasons would you consider to be franchise guys? Since Lamar came into the league, the Jets (of all teams) have thrown for more yards than the Ravens in three out of those five years. 

10 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

So you feel the risk (injury, slow down as a runner, limited ability as a pocket passer) is not an issue then.

You're willing to bet the next five years on Lamar's health, knowing the franchise would be entirely crippled if he were to get hurt or suffer a decline-causing injury or injuries.

If so, fair enough, agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

How many other QBs who have thrown for over 3000 yards exactly once in five seasons would you consider to be franchise guys? Since Lamar came into the league, the Jets (of all teams) have thrown for more yards than the Ravens in three out of five seasons. 

I get it. That’s why I said I’m not a huge Lamar fan. but his running ability brings a whole other dimension to the offense. You wanna stack the box and he will just air it over the top. If you wanna play coverage he will gash you on the ground. Imagine him and breecy together. The running game would be unstoppable. 

true or false? Lamar Jackson is a top 10 qb? 

• Upvote 1

Trading for Chuck Clark is a nice move but could also be an indicator that the Jets are trying to lock up a starting safety because they will have less draft picks to address the need after the trade. 

They also could have made assurances to Rodgers that they'll use whatever high picks they have to get him weapons or protect him.....

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Trading for Chuck Clark is a nice move but could also be an indicator that the Jets are trying to lock up a starting safety because they will have less draft picks to address the need after the trade. 

They also could have made assurances to Rodgers that they'll use whatever high picks they have to get him weapons or protect him.....

Both concepts make sense, and (in a Jets-get-Rodgers scenario) make perfect sense.

Try and maintain the D from last year + all-in on Offense to give Rodgers the best shot at success and a run.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

true or false? Lamar Jackson is a top 10 qb?

I don’t believe the science is settled, but for two firsts and the richest contract in history, I’m looking for a little more than just top 10, Jets’ history be damned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you feel the risk (injury, slow down as a runner, limited ability as a pocket passer) is not an issue then.

You're willing to bet the next five years on Lamar's health, knowing the franchise would be entirely crippled if he were to get hurt or suffer a decline-causing injury or injuries.

If so, fair enough, agree to disagree.

Yea I’d say the risk is worth the potential reward. I’m not sure the contract is crippling because that’s the going rate for qbs these days. Can you name me 10 qbs you would rather have over Lamar? I could name 6 or 7. (Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Tlaw)