Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I could still see the team adding Thielen too if the price is right.

I kind of think the big slow red zone guy who doesn’t play specials is an either/or scenario but who knows. But I guess I could see them adding Cobb too so maybe just two of those two and Cobb.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d normally make a cap situation comment here but if they bring in Rodgers this is a year to go full Saints and just push stuff around. Kind of a shame they pushed some of last year into this year or there’d be even more flexibility this season.

Douglas has been extremely frugal with the cap since he got here, with those moves last year being pretty minor. They have a ton of flexibility with the way he’s structured contracts, and I do now expect a very busy year from the Jets in free agency. Rodgers in the fold means a Super Bowl push. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Douglas has been extremely frugal with the cap since he got here, with those moves last year being pretty minor. They have a ton of flexibility with the way he’s structured contracts, and I do now expect a very busy year from the Jets in free agency. Rodgers in the fold means a Super Bowl push. 

It damn well better be. It just pray it does not turn into the '92 Mets.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think last year was in the eye of the beholder. Personally felt it was foolish to push money out a year when the team is absolutely not a Super Bowl contender. And we’re seeing the problem with it this year as they have way more limited flexibility than they would’ve if they hadn’t pushed money around last year.

What makes matters worse is he only hit on a couple of the free agent signings last year too, if they could easily get rid of most of those guys I think they would. Already eating $3M for having Berrios stick around last year, there’s no way Tomlinson or Uzomah get $11M or $7M respectively and those jump to $19M and $11M next year…Reed was awesome and Conklin was solid. Whitehead is between those groups but just isn’t a $10M safety

The Tomlinson one is the worst because he had two years before that to draft and develop a guard and didn’t get it done.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I never even saw that clip.  If I were the GM, I swear this clip would be enough for me to Pass on drafting him.  And it would have been a good thing in retrospect 

This clip dovetails nicely with a clip someone posted last year of this guy sulking, dropping his helmet on the sidelines and walking away by himself.  AVT bends all the way down, picks the guy’s helmet up, jogs up to him and says “Yo man wtf you doing?  We don’t do things like that up here” (not the exact words…but close).

Now that I see this clip….get this jerk*ff off the team….Pronto.

Literally cost his team the game with that impressive display. Got an unsportsmanlike penalty for that, moved the extra point back and kicker missed. Believe it cost them the game. Its all I could think of when we drafted him. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, derp said:

I kind of think the big slow red zone guy who doesn’t play specials is an either/or scenario but who knows. But I guess I could see them adding Cobb too so maybe just two of those two and Cobb.

Thielan isn't slow

1 hour ago, slats said:

Lol at Schefter’s being unable to say, “reunite Lazard and Rodgers.” This is the game Rodgers is playing, and he’s having fun. I imagine Lazard is confident about where Rodgers will be playing this year. 

I'm glad Rodgers is making a game of it.  More proof that the "NY media" is not any kind of a  burden for Rodgers.  It is a play thing for him. 

And he's not washed in general. He's sick of GB.  NY will do him good.  Lots more stimulation, action and attention for a complex dude like Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WILLY said:

Lazard is a Meh. Better than Moore for sure, but not an all-pro. A decent #2 I suppose.

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
ATT
YDS
AVG

Career

He's improving. Last year was his 1st without Adams and his production went up. 

56 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lazard is a total JAG.  Joe D needs to be responsible here and not overpay.

Not really. Everyone has this backwards. Lazard has ranked in the 20s in DYAR the last two years. Purely as a football move, this is a good one. The problem is that it signals our willingness to hand control of the franchise to a narcissist who’s going to retire in ten months.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Big time.

Lazard a consistent threat deep.  Moore?  Not so much.  Moore did not come as advertised and coupled with a shaky juvenile attitude, I’m more than good with shipping him out in the next second as long as Lazard is taking his place.

Moore started out his career with that great DROP from Zach on a post bomb. It’s been all down hill from there. I’m sure he blamed Zack for dropping that pass. Bring on the Lizzard. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

If you can get him for roughly Davis's price, it's a no-brainer move

I find it interesting that you get a down-vote from someone named Suck4Sammy.  Is there another Sam QB we are going to try and suck for that this move would keep from happening?

7 minutes ago, WILLY said:

Lazard is a Meh. Better than Moore for sure, but not an all-pro. A decent #2 I suppose.

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
ATT
YDS
AVG

Career

I wouldn’t expect him to be too expensive, and he’d probably wind up being a third or fourth option on the Jets. A lot of his value is his familiarity with Rodgers in Hackett’s offense. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

The problem is that it signals our willingness to hand control of the franchise to a narcissist who’s going to retire in ten months.

it is THIS exactly. BUT, no one has proven capable of handling it the traditional way. The ceiling is high, but the floor may be the depths even the Jets  haven't seen for a while. And that is a statement unto itself. fasten your seatbelts. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

it is THIS exactly. BUT, no one has proven capable of handling it the traditional way. The ceiling is high, but the floor may be the depths even the Jets  haven't seen for a while. And that is a statement unto itself. fasten your seatbelts. 

Well said

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we're dead set on Lazard, he should be replacing Mims, not Moore.

At 6'5", 227, he's much more a Davis/Mims type than the shift small slot guy Moore is.

True, but if Moore is part of a deal that keeps the draft pick compensation low, then not so bad.  Besides, that would give us a 6'5", a 6'3" and a 6'0' starting 3 receiver core.  

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not really. Everyone has this backwards. Lazard has ranked in the 20s in DYAR the last two years. Purely as a football move, this is a good one. The problem is that it signals our willingness to hand control of the franchise to a narcissist who’s going to retire in ten months.

A little melodramatic, no?   Replacing an oft injured underperforming WR with a solid if not spectacular vet familiar with the offense is hardly letting Rodgers commandeer the front office.  

Isn't Lazard supposed to be top option in this admittedly underwhelming FA WR class? 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, derp said:

I think last year was in the eye of the beholder. Personally felt it was foolish to push money out a year when the team is absolutely not a Super Bowl contender. And we’re seeing the problem with it this year as they have way more limited flexibility than they would’ve if they hadn’t pushed money around last year.

What makes matters worse is he only hit on a couple of the free agent signings last year too, if they could easily get rid of most of those guys I think they would. Already eating $3M for having Berrios stick around last year, there’s no way Tomlinson or Uzomah get $11M or $7M respectively and those jump to $19M and $11M next year…Reed was awesome and Conklin was solid. Whitehead is between those groups but just isn’t a $10M safety

The Tomlinson one is the worst because he had two years before that to draft and develop a guard and didn’t get it done.

He also signed Nate Herbig, which shouldn't be overlooked.  This is why signing free agents is such a risk.  Tomlinson was a VERY solid player in San Fran.  Then, he comes to the Jets and stinks?  Perhaps he was as solid as he was because he played beside Trent Williams.  Who knows, but it lets hope he turns around.  Otherwise, LOTS of money wasted.  Again, this is why drafting well consistently and finding lunch-box free agents types every year seems to be the way to go.  

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The problem is that it signals our willingness to hand control of the franchise to a narcissist who’s going to retire in ten months.

I hear ya, but I can't convince myself that the fallout from doing that would be any worse than the sh*t show we've experienced over (at least) the last 12 seasons.

High reward comes with high risk. I have no illusion that Rodgers will be here beyond next season, and I'm good with that. 

I want a chance to see the Jets go to the SB, and Rodgers gives me hope. I really don't care about 2024 or beyond that. Let the dead bury the dead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ron Rico said:

Lazard > Moore

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Hmmm, more evidence we are getting Rodgers. I wonder if we’re trading Elijah moore? 

never felt so clueless about a situation in my life.

If we  get lazard its no doubt to replace Corey Davis. Not sure why you guys are talking Moore 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

True, but if Moore is part of a deal that keeps the draft pick compensation low, then not so bad.  Besides, that would give us a 6'5", a 6'3" and a 6'0' starting 3 receiver core.  

Still need speed and shiftiness, and that would be a mostly slower (for the most part) WR/TE group.  

• Upvote 1