Joe Douglas should trade down the 23' 1st round pick

Bronx

The NY Jets should trade down this year's 1st and 6th for 2023 1st (21) and 2nd (53) or similar value.

Total points value:

13th- (1,150)+ 6th (22.2) = 1,172.2

21st- (800) + 53rd (370) = 1,170

The Jets will gave 3 second rounders and a 1st in 2023.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

It depends.  If JD sees certain players he wants sliding then it makes sense.  

I think the Jets should rack up picks regardless due to Rodgers trade. The Oline needs big time help and a trade down should help the process. 

16 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I wasn't aware because the value chart indicated 21/53;  nevertheless, trading down Is almost essential at this point IMHO.

I’d like to see a trade down as well but I don’t know how many open roster spots there will be by the time the draft rolls around to make it essential.

• Upvote 1

The Jets pick 13.  The early reports are quite high on John Michael Schmitz.  Plug-and-play center.  

But 13 seems a little high for a center.  There are going to be teams that want to move up to get their second-level first-round QB choice: Guys like Hendon Hooker, Will Levis.  There is always someone that drops who you might want.  Never know about Jalen Carter for instance.

IF that is the Jets play, I wouldn't go past 20, but you are playing a risky game doing that.  If someone happens to move up and take him, then you have missed out on the first tier OT's, and you don't have your C either.  The other issue:  Plug-and-play.  Even the most blueist of blue-chip prospects sometimes need time.  Do the Jets want to risk that and AR's health?  If you try this and JMS is taken early, will guys like Anton Harrison be around or Darnell Wright as OT prospects? 

IF this were the Jets FO thinking, I would have a concern using a 1st rounder on a center when neither of our OT positions are what you would call 'set in stone.'  If JMS fell to the second round and you could make a trade to go get him early in said round, that is one thing.  But drafting a center in the 1st?  Hmmm.......

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree, but it really depends on if the person wants to trade up.

Yup. We have to hope one of those QB's (Levis, Richardson et al) falls to 13. Someone will definitely make an offer. If JD wants to improve both lines, he can do that with extra picks in the 3rd round. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t think any team has the 21st and 53rd picks. 
Why are the Chargers (who have 21 and 54) trading up?
No need to give up the sixth round pick in this trade.
New Orleans (29 and 40) is also a clean value chart match up.
Given the Jets have two second rounders as it is I also wouldn’t mind 
I would like a trade down but there needs to be a rationale from both sides.
Would especially like a trade down that nets the Jets 2024 first rounder.
Minnesota trading 23, their 2024 first rounder, and 87 to move up for a falling Will Levis whose OC at Kentucky in 2021 was with O’Connell on the Rams’ coaching staff prior to that would be a nice one.
Interesting nugget I learned listening to a podcast the other day - four QB’s have never gone in the top ten. Very real chance the Jets are in that trade up for a falling QB range. Minnesota a team to watch, Tampa as well perhaps.
Wasn't Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and Darnold all top 10 and same draft?

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

If Richardson is still there at #13 NO may wish to jump Washington. 

I feel like they’re in constant go for it mode so I’d expect something more random seeking line when they moved up for Olave or Davenport. Not sure what their big holes are but after signing Carr I’d expect a short term move. But they are constantly aggressive.

44 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

It depends.  If JD sees certain players he wants sliding then it makes sense.  

UMinn Center JMS should be Joe's 1st round target.  If he deems 13 too high then try to move down and then take him...Every report I have read says he's a plug & play 10 yr starter.  Center is #1 need this draft IMO..You can draft an Left OT in the 2nd round and start the season w/D Brown at Left OT while the rookie develops.  

If Fant is still out there and his knee checks out you can sign him to a 1 yr deal too as additional depth...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Seems to me that jd prefers to trade up and get the guy he loves rather than trade down and roll the dice. Traded up for AVT. Traded up for Breece. Traded up for jermaine Johnson. Only time I remember him trading down was 2020 and we got stuck with mims. 

I agree that JD has displayed this pattern, but the dynamics have changed due to AR's trade (in addition to his personal wishlist). The team needs a center and LT (to develop) within this year's draft and acquiring a 1st, a late 2nd or early third should help fill those voids. 

How are we going to trade down when Green Bay has our pick?   ?

In reality the Jets might think about trading down but this is something you do as your pick approaches on draft day.  Someone always drops further than expected.  I still think they will go for an OT at 13

I agree that we should be looking to trade back from 13.

The Jets need help at OT, C, LB, DT and S. I haven’t watched any of the prospects but from listening to podcasts, this draft doesn't have high end OT but a lot of day 2 ranked OT. Giving that and the rest of the positions of need, we should focus on day 2.

Trade back and pick up a 2nd.

Now you can use the late 1st on a tackle and then you have 3 second rounders. One for Rodgers and the other two for a Center and say a DT.

FYI - I’m usually pro trading up. I prefer quality over quantity. 

• Upvote 2

Our best bet to entice a trade up will be if all of the WRs are still on the board, or if the last of the top QBs is still there at 13.

I could see maybe the Giants willing to trade 25/57 to come up and get their WR1 if say Quentin Johnson is still there.

• Upvote 2